Are there any other games with similar combat to Doom?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/GKu2g2L7k4c?t=1066
youtu.be/GKu2g2L7k4c?t=1106
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the ORIGINAL Doom-games, or the shitty 2016 D44M?

For former, tons: Duke 3D, BLOOD, Shadow Warrior 3D, Quake 1-2....

For latter, there's tons of similar yet vastly better examples too, such as:
Serious Sam -games, Painkiller, Hard Reset ...

I mean doom 4 with the fast paced combat and movement and good gunplay and strafing

well yes, there is doom 2, final doom, tnt, plutonia, doom64
if you want a somewhat modern aproach, brutal doom, D4D/D4T, metadoom
if you want something "similar but different" - demonsteele
if you want to go medieval - wrath of chronos

thats just off the top of my head

Check out strafe, its pretty fun

Everything I listed then.
If you're a fan of the "combat arena" style gameplay, then Serious Sam 3: BFE is the closest to D44M, and vastly superior as well. For starters, you can be fighting 100s of enemies at once, in vastly bigger, more open maps, and you don't have to deal with out of place RPG mechanisms.

Heck, it even did the whole "rip & tear!" thing half a decade earlier. Not to mention it's MP is superb; 16 player co-op is just insane fun, and there's even 4-player SPLIT SCREEN. On a fucking PC game!

Doom 1, 2 and 64.

What are some good wads?

Yes, lots of games have shit combat OP

doom 4 is complete fucking garbage
Doom is what you get when you cross halo with painkiller but that game is better by virtue of not being full of dumb fucking gimmicks and cinematic rubbish

this. It's mindboggling that mediocre, repetitious crap like D4 is now considered "fast paced" or "oldschool".

>D44M
>bad
Shit taste detected

>Hard Reset
>ever recommended
It was insanely awful and a gigantic disappointment. Just about nothing with it was passable, it was just a shitty Serious Sam copy with everything done wrong.

>hard reset
>better than D2016
contrarians like you make me laugh

None, really.
Halo, but it's slower. Warframe is faster.

fkuc

HR is literally the same shit as D44M, but gets a free pass on some of its meh-designs for being a new IP.

Apply some .50 cal medicine to your brain.
If D4 is "good", then you have no right to bash HR.

Talk about double standards.

You could argue that the painkiller franchise is similar in combat

>HR is literally the same shit as D44M
you don't understand what you're talking about retard
HR is a fucking abomination with bullet sponge enemies, atrociously bad weapon balancing and design, zero enemy variety and some of the most awful "bosses" i ever saw in FPS
it's not even remotely comparable to D2016

Without mentioning names, it seems like you just described D44M.

D2016 was trash. Overshilled one at that. Just another consolized shit reboot to the list alongside with DNF and SW2013.

shadow warrior 2
sorta the latest Woolfenstein

Nice contrarian shitpost, here's a (You), my fellow old-fag!

>bullet sponge enemies, atrociously bad weapon balancing and design, zero enemy variety and some of the most awful "bosses" i ever saw in FPS
...so just like Doom4? Terrible art-style, shotgun can kill nothing past few meters and lacks penetration, and tons of side-grade additions like AR that practically replaces Minigun AND rocket-launcher with its upgrades.

>...so just like Doom4?
no?

There's nothing contrarian about NOT sucking Bethesda's jew-dick and NOT having lowered my standards in the past 10 years because of console trash, which I luckily have avoided like the plague it is.

more like big, fat YES.

Immortal Redneck.

>bullet sponge enemies
D4: 5 shotgun shots to stagger a single imp for Glory kills.
>atrociously bad weapon balancing
D4: you only ever need two guns: super shotty and HAR. And the designs are literally big boxes with ugly, overdesigned "details", everywhere.
>zero enemy variety
you apparently can't count, or you consider shit like the Possessed to even count as "enemies" in D4.
>the most awful "bosses" i ever saw in FPS
better than the Zelda-style 3-stage shit in D4, which would never work as normal enemies like in Doom 2.

>D44M
>bad
Yeah, it is but it does look nice.
hard reset isn't a great game either but it's similar design wise

>5 shotgun shots to stagger a single imp for Glory kills
Do you know its pellets spread?

Why did they decide to block Doomguy's abs?

The black piece of armor looks like a retexture of last moment, without it, it would look much better and exactly like the original

At point blank, spread is fucking nonexistent.
And thanks for reminding me yet another reason why D4 is a fucking butchering: they fucked up THE best shotgun in gaming history.

Can't have strong men as MCs.
You gotta have a HALO suit giving you "teh superpowa's to fite teh evil!"

Painkiller is just a smaller scale Serious Sam, it's a backpedalling horde shooter, not at all like DOOM.

Bioshock: Infinite has the same arena based combat but lacks the enemy and weapon variety and the polished shooting to be nearly as enjoyable, plus you can only hold 2 guns at once, camping a location with some hard cover is also much more viable than it is in DOOM.

Strafe constantly threatens the players position and forces mobility in the same way as DOOM but the first 2 zones are primarily melee enemies with a few supporting projectile dudes and you only get one permanent weapon, the rest are temporary pickups, you don't get to chase down terrified enemies and rip them in half with your bare hands like you do in DOOM, for the first couple zones you're just trying to stay clear of the mobs that basically suicide charge you.

FEAR offers enemies that exhibit advanced behaviour and threaten your position or make tactical retreats like DOOM, but the combat itself is not nearly as acrobatic since nearly all weapons are hitscan based, and again, limited arsenal.

I'm actually having a hard time coming up with a good DOOM clone.

>D4: 5 shotgun shots to stagger a single imp for Glory kills.
Just how bad is your aim?

>point out a literal design fuck up
>"lol git gud scrub! :^)"
the shill is strong in this one.
Stop playing on easy mode, kid.

SUPERHOT

gave up on that shit when I died mutliple times to enemies shooting at me before they spawned
also they came in randomly so I couldn't even plan ahead

>point out a literal design fuck up
You were factually wrong. I takes 2 shotgun shots to kill an imp on nightmare difficulty.

you can't even take down a single "zombie guy" with two shots on U.V. And again, shotgun spreading its entire load to 10 feet wide area at point blank range is not an excuse nor acceptable in a Doom title.

>you can't even take down a single "zombie guy" with two shots on U.V
Well of course not, the first shot instagibs them.

youtu.be/GKu2g2L7k4c?t=1066

?????????
It happens over and over. You didn,t play this game.

>shotgun spreading its entire load to 10 feet wide area at point blank range is not an excuse nor acceptable in a Doom title.
well thank Doom 3 for introducing this

>nu-doom
>good gunplay
>fast pace
lol

I'm not talking about the blind cyclops possessed cannonfodder.

many FPS games "introduced" it earlier, but D3 was definitely amongst the worst offenders.

>I'm not talking about the blind cyclops possessed cannonfodder.
Still 2 shotgun shots. Now you are just being deliberately obtuse.

Nu-DOOM or DOOM? Because there are literally thousands in the latter category. For a long time every FPS was considered a DOOM clone.

it takes two shots to get GK-stagger status. Three to put one down. At a distance where you could poke their noses with a long ruler.

And at rock's throw distances, shotgun becomes practically useless without its grenade addon, which is yet another side-grade blurring the lines between weapons and their intended purposes.

>it takes two shots to get GK-stagger status. Three to put one down. At a distance where you could poke their noses with a long ruler.

youtu.be/GKu2g2L7k4c?t=1106

Your video already shows multiple cases of enemies surviving 2+ point-blank shots, even 2 shotgun shots + handful of pistol pops.

There's also ZERO multi-kills with shotguns, because there is no real penetration and right kind of spread + kick for the pellets.

There actually isn't "tons" as projectile based combat with a arsenal of mechanically different weapons isn't some kind of vast genre with hundreds of copies. Its special every time one comes out and you're being an elitist dick over literally nothing. The fact that you can only think of those games, two of which are by the same publisher, and all three many years apart, speaks for itself.

>There actually isn't "tons" as projectile based combat with a arsenal of mechanically different weapons isn't some kind of vast genre with hundreds of copies.
There's barely hundreds of copies of ANY genre really, if you wanna start pulling hairs.

There would be DOZENS of "Doom clones", but not all of them are even remotely as high quality and fun as the real deal + the mentioned examples.

If anything, I was shocked that people even need to ask for similar games to Doom, be it the OG or Beth-Doom.

People used the regular shotgun?
But it took ammo from the super-shotgun, which was basically the most boner inducing gun I've seen in modern vidya in years.

Might come as a shock to hear that you do not get the SS before much later.

Also the typical role of normie-shotty has been sharpshooting and faster DPM infliction in some scenes. D44M incorporates neither of those in the gameplay, and the initial 20-shot ammo cap is ridiculous joke.

SS3 did both pump and double-barrel way better IMO, and was more true to OG Doom style gunplay in general.

Actually there is, while its difficult to name a variety of MODERN projectile based fps games, the list of cover, hitscan, regenerating health, and slow walking speed games, is never ending and infinite. Doom defies conventions by not including these things and denying that because "not muh" is as elitist and contrarian as you can get. And for what reason? Because people dont agree with you? Inability to understand why different people have different taste is a genuine sign of autism. Also, intentionally ignoring how standards change over time as new things become the status quo for the sole purpose of pretending gameplay stagnated after the 90s to make "im 18 and my taste is superior" posts is kinda sad tbqhwy

I feel little of the difference you are trying to imply between how the two handled them. Also that webm seems to have sped up the reloading.
It wasn't that much later unless you did not find the secret.

Wow that sure looks like an enjoyable way to enjoy the game user
Sure showed these "nu-gamers" :')

>bloodfag has shit taste
Go figure.

>the list of cover, hitscan, regenerating health, and slow walking speed games, is never ending and infinite.
First you shoot down exaggerations, then greatly exaggerate your own statement?
No, there definitely is not an infinite amount of ye brown&bloom regen HP shooters, and I wouldn't be surprised if the final count wouldn't even pass 100.
Also, moving goalposts by adding the word "MODERN" is just silly.

>Doom defies conventions
Doom, or nuDOOM? Seriously people, make a difference between the two already.
And once again you're quite wrong. Unless you literally, no joke, have ONLY played Xbox versions of Call Of Duty, BF, Halo, etc, for the past 10 years, nuDOOM ain't groundbreaking on any scale. It's barely adapting yet another MODERN convention and dressing it up in a claimed yet obviously very flawed classic IP -mimicking skin. Like some people have put it, nuDOOM isn't a Doom-game, it's a "Brutal Painkiller RPG".

You can keep spamming your "lol contrarian" or "lol didn't even play teh game??" textbooks copypastas as much as you like, but nuDOOM is not revolutionary in any other way than being a sequel to one of the most important game series of all time, yet being a forgettable flavor of the year trash that doesn't even know what it wants.

Yes, the standards HAVE changed, for the worse in many people's case. First 10 jumps back, then a tiny step forward.
>I feel little of the difference you are trying to imply between how the two handled them.
There is a significant difference, which is fairly easily recognizable if you play the two side by side.
>Also that webm seems to have sped up the reloading.
No, it hasn't. That's 100% vanilla and real time.
>It wasn't that much later unless you did not find the secret.
in D4, you have to play at least two levels (3 if you count the starting "demo area") to get SS at all. Meanwhile, you can get more than half of your entire arsenal within the first few maps in OG Doom and SS games.

Is that low textures or something? I don't remember the game looking that bad

>"Blood fags"
wew, Zenimax found a new enemy to "fight" against?

>is fairly easily recognizable if you play the two side by side.

You mean barely, not fairly, I literally just binged on these games.
Though I played BFEnhanced last which may have altered the gun.

Also whats that two levels, like an hour out of 10?
I like both games, I admit Dooms default shotty is weaker than the pump in SS3, but it also doesn't have the enemies to make you feel it. The above "five shots to kill an imp" is just retarded.

How new are you, exactly?

>Though I played BFEnhanced last which may have altered the gun.
yea, you fucking THINK?

2005 master race.

Yeah I think.
It wasn't a good change then.

>Your video already shows multiple cases of enemies surviving 2+ point-blank shots
>point blank

No it doesn't, they always require 2 shots provided the player is precise.

>There's also ZERO multi-kills with shotguns, because there is no real penetration and right kind of spread + kick for the pellets.
Moving the goalposts. The super shotgun has a penetration upgrade though.

>mod called "enhanced"
>makes the game worse
wew lad, it's the "STALKER Complete" all over again.

but yeah, vanilla SS3:BFE > D44M 2016, any day.

>no it doesn't
uh, yes it does? Try watching it.
>using the gameplay of the original games, whose name the new one utilizes like a bastard imposter it is, is "goalpost moving"
k

>penetration UPGRADE
And that's totally the same thing or acceptable now because...?

>Are there any other games with similar combat to Doom

Similar """"combat"""" to Doom? Yes, the ENTIRE FUCKING FPS GENRE.

Well it put in a ton of the enemeis from the first two titles.

I found it nigh unplayable though.

>good gameplay is tied directly to how fast it is.

I agree that that guy is a contrarian shitter but Blood is a fucking great game you retard

Serious Sam, Painkiller

>Hard Reset better than Doom

You're just talking out of spite now. HR is half as long, has a third of the weapons, less enemies who all look the same and also"shitty out of place rpg mechanics".
It was a neat game but Doom 4 is leagues above.

>Painkiller

Went to complete shit with every entry after the first.

It is but Bloodfags are a blight.

I have rarely ever seen anyone even mentioning Blood, besides passing comments that it's good, on Sup Forums until now. Where exactly are these Bloodfags you speak of?

OP asked for "fast paced combat and movement", with "good gunplay and strafing". D44M certainly does not fit the description.

HR is way more tolerable BECAUSE it is shorter and has less filler.

A guy in a belly shirt was cooler in 1993 than in 2016

What do you mean "filler"? The attempts at a plot were pretty bad and the two times you had to stand around while a Robot talks to you about MUH GREATER GOOD were annoying but 90% of the game was shooting Demons and that's the main appeal.

You can't just say "this part where you shoot demons is filler because I don't think it's exciting."

D4 literally repeats the same formula from beginning to the end, and becomes a total slog after the first 3 or so maps. No exploration since everything's linear AND revealed to you, 99% of fighting is done in tiny lock-down rooms you're funneled into, and the combat's just matter of literally running in circles and taking potshots at kited (tiny) mobs the game spawns on you. The mega-hyped Glory kills also get tiresome after the 10th time you see the same animation, plus are totally useless as you get HP from enemies without them as well.

Blood is mentioned in every FPS thread ever. For years I've been seeing these guys, one in particular is noticeable by spamming his Blood webms, and frequently shitting on other games while claiming Blood is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Blood is indeed a great game but the people who've ironically formed some sort of cult around it are the absolute worst.

it's not fast-paced at all.
underage pls leave

Shadow Warrior 2 sucks compared to the 2013 one.

>80 Posts
>30 IP's

Holy shit Bloodfag, give it a rest.

those "people" will not rest until the rest of the world is assimilated into their way of thinking. Nothing we can do about it.

Glory Kills are completely pointless on UV unless there's only a single enemy left, because 9 times out of 10 you're going to get blasted the second that animation ends.

>extremely long hallways for no other reason than to make the pace of the game the same as every other fps despite your character moving fast

Be honest, you like the old games because of nostalgia. The original doom had some horrible levels, and any of the cool stuff that is shown on the webms is stuff you only do on repeated playthroughs. I remeber playing Doom for the first time and getting frustrated on where to go.

The maps were not designed in quake 1 around b hopping. Those hallways are that long so the slug monsters can chase you and it will look neato