Not to be an edgy faggot, but I finally am getting around to playing this game 13 years later...

Not to be an edgy faggot, but I finally am getting around to playing this game 13 years later. So far it's a bit easy/boring. What makes it an all-time legendary title? There isn't even a developing story yet, just me moving through sewage plants

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mpCv12q6fFI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How about you actually FINISH it before making silly questions?

I also really wish you've beaten HL1 before it, and that you keep in mind the era both of these games came out. They were technological and atmospheric marvels, and brilliant platformers for modders and serious game makers alike with their engines + later introduced Steam.

The graphics and sound design.

my attention span is shot. Too impatient to finish a game before wanting to talk about it

Not to be an edgy faggot, but I finally am getting around to flying this thing 113 years later. So ofar it's a bit simple/boring. What makes it an all-time legendary plane? There isn't even an flight on-board entertainment system yet, just me moving through the air.

yeah, seems to be a typical cancer of GenZ. Please end your kind so we don't have to deal with ADHD MTV-pacing games.

You're not even 1/4th through the game. Just enjoy it and calm your horses.

>no games ever age well
got it

also the graphics aren't what turn me off. The gun play is actually great. I just find the puzzles too easy

gen z will save the white race but I will finish it

It's not a puzzle game either.
They just literally wanted to demo the groundbreaking physics engine within the typical quiet moments HL always has had.

Well I don't know what you call them, but you have to find ways to advance to the next part of the game. So far it's shooting, grenades and puzzles

Yes, they're just tiny breathers between all the action. HL pretty much coined the design, HL2 continues it.

Some of the "puzzles" are kinda clever, but ultimately very simple. You have relatively decent amount of freedom with some sections though, which is nice in the era of 100% static games.

I still remember how back in 04, I didn't realize that there was a ladder on the side of this train cart, so I got past this section by stacking up some floating boxes in a rough shape of stairs.

I still can't beat the second turret stand off in nova prospekt on hard difficulty. I just pile boxes up and throw the turrets onto the balcony and fight it up there. Alyx spawns out of nowhere at the end though.

it's definitely ahead of its time. Honestly with the graphics update mod it feels like I'm playing any game from 2010+

Maybe that's why I don't appreciate it

Then you need to take some quality time out from video games to find a busy street and sprint back and forth across it.

The level design and pacing is superb, it makes you think on your feet to conserve ammo in some situations. Especially since you have the Gravity Gun later.

IT was good the first time i played it ten years ago. Every time I've tried to play it since has been awfully boring.

It aged like Pepsi Blue.

ME TOO NIGGER! The physics was awesome.
I remember when the combine fucker has you pick up that can, I spent the first half hour of my game time just throwing boxes and suitcases at him and getting chased around and beat with a cattle prod.

Half-Life is more valuable to culture and history than this entire generation of youth.

You can hide in one of the room's and stack up boxes so no one can get in, then take pot shots when the combine run past.

That's western games for you, OP. Overrated cinematic trash.

it had nothing but graphics and physics
typical pCuck garbage

HAHAHAHA yeah those Asian games have no cinematics whatsoever!
>Sits for three hours of Metal Gear in-game movies
>HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Nothing like the non-stop intense hardcore gaming action of Persona 5, innit.

I hope you're right

It's the typical FPS corridor shit.

>Honestly with the graphics update mod it feels like I'm playing any game from 2010+
...what mod?
Don't tell me the fucking CM, because that is NO "upgrade".

The vanilla game still looks better than majority of "modern" trash.

it's not "typical" on just about any sense in modern world. For starters, the "corridors" are very wide and open in HL, and there's way more interaction with the world than in ye typical CoD shit.

Not to be an edgy faggot but
>Is an edgy faggot
>Draws attention of others like him
>Thread full of edgy faggots

This is what's happened to video. Take a good look in the mirror, children. You are a cancer to your own species.

Most of the weapons in this game are fucking dogshit in some capacity. I hate almost all of them.

It was such a pain in the ass clearing this game because of it.

>pistol sucks
>grenades suck
>smg sucks
>combine rifle sucks
>rocket launch sucks
>shotgun sucks
>gravity gun slinging sawblades gets old too quick
>gravity gun slinging anything else is fucking awful
>they didnt drop the embarrassingly comical crowbar flailing animation

The shotgun sounds so fucking bad, that pistol sounds so fucking bad.

Fuck the weapons in hl2.

Except the revolver and that crossbow. Those are the only two satisfying weapons in that whole game.

Nigger just keep playing.

stop spamming your shitty viral videos.

>smg sucks
>combine rifle sucks
>rocket launch sucks
>shotgun sucks
>gravity gun slinging sawblades gets old too quick
>gravity gun slinging anything else is fucking awful
has there been worse ADHD shit taste on this palnet?

you're mixing up HL2 with HL.

You gotta remember PHYSIXXX was hot shit back in 2004, so was vehicle sections and a bunch of other shit that would be considered old and boring in 2017

The problem with the gunplay is that enemies often don't flinch when they take damage.

>There isn't even a developing story yet, just me moving through sewage plants
There is, if you're at that point. The thing about Half-Life story though is that it's not really told to you, you have to look at things and interpret them yourself. The only time the game stops to tell you the story is when a character has to say something, other, otherwise it's all on you to find the details and interpret them. It doesn't tell you the story through cutscenes, it tells it through interactivity.

You also have to take in consideration the ground it broke at the time of its release. No game existed like it, the physics and graphics in particular were the most astounding.

i never got the hype for it either. halo 2 came out the same year and completely blows it out of the water.

who gives a shit if there's no cutscenes, wacky physics, and this big open world if all it amounts to is being forced to listen to dialogue typically reserved for cutscenes without a way to skip it, crappy seesaw puzzles that get boring after 2 minutes, and lots of boring vehicle sections to traverse the completely empty world.

plus halo 2 had a good multiplayer in addition to a good campaign mode.

I played HL2 for the first time just recently, and it was far from "old and boring" IMO.

>halo 2

>any time an old "classic" video game is questioned on this board, there is ALWAYS that one faggot who comes in the thread and says they just literally played it 10 seconds ago and its a masterpiece to them and have no nostalgia for it whatsoever because how could they they just played and completed it 10 seconds before hand right?

Fuck off.

>hey guys everybody told me this game was good but I personally don't like it, what gives?

show me a post where someone played it 10 seconds ago.

Also believe it or not, there's 6+ Billion people on this planet, and not everyone was capable of playing all your old shit when it came out, yet were interested enough of them to give them a try.

Let's not forget that one faggot who says literally every game older than a generation is only liked because of nostalgia.

The shooting is pretty meh in this game.
It's far more satisfying in Far Cry or F.E.A.R.

popular game bad

HL1 was better in nearly ever way short of GRAHIC AND PHSIXXX

>Some of the "puzzles" are kinda clever

Here's a gap, place this board over it to cross.

Here's a board on a pivot point, find something heavy to put on one end so you can walk up the other end to reach a higher platform.

it wasn't tho

HL2 may be a shitty "sequel" but it's still better than HL1 or any of its expansions.

>halo 2 had a good multiplayer in addition to a good campaign mode.

Halo 2 sucked so hard i couldn't return to the series until 5

This level scared me so much as a kid, it came out of nowhere.

It was legendary for it's time. Now it's probably the most over rated piece of garbage ever. Everything about this game is very simple and straight forward.

Half Life 1? That's the game you want to look for. Half Life 2 is an unfinished disappointment.

Put the game on hard, by default it starts on the easiest difficulty.

HL1 weapons were worse
>smg takes 20 minutes of constant firing to kill anything
>shotgun is same as HL2
>RL is same
>pistol is same
>magnum is same
>crossbow is weaker
>that piece of trash alien gun
>the laser guns are interesting but hold too little ammo to be anything more than novelties
>all those redundant explosives (the number of situations where tripmines would be useful can be counted on one hand, and even then there's better, less cumbersome alternatives
>alien bugs, that only annoy enemies and are more likely to attack the player than enemies (what the fuck was Valve thinking)

I think they mean "HL2 Update" which is on Steam

>HL2
>ammo conservation
you know the supply boxes shit ammo for the last gun you used

also medkits and batteries if you're low on HP

The first time I played it, I hid in a turret locker and shotgunned every Combine, occasionally switching to GG to grab medkits. Some savescumming later it worked.

Second time, I just put 3 turrets in a small cell, sat behind them with a gravity gun and lobbed out all the grenades. Didn't really need to savescum.

Last time I just set the turrets and was running around shotgunning and crossbowing dudes. The area has a billion of medkits.

>not just every dead NPC, but every living NPC has a ragdoll in Far Cry, so when you non-lethally shoot a merc in an arm or leg you see them wince depending on the location of the hit
>also bloody entry and exit wounds decals
>game was banned in Germany because of that

>HL1 weapons were worse
no
>shotgun is same as HL2
HL1 shotgun is fucking garbage and is actually one of the guns that are massively improved in HL2

high production values and hyped as fuck. it isn't actually that good. half life 1 was the revolutionary game
you know when you think about replaying a game but then you remember THAT level
that's every single half life 2 level

What are your favorite games

I hope you die.

It's like saying "i just got around to listening to some Mozart. So far there's no bass-drops and my bitches can't twerk to this shit. What did Mozart ever even do for music anyway?"

Don't get me wrong, HL2 is my favorite game but it wasn't as impactful on its genre as Mozart was, but holy shit you are such a cancerous piece of scum

yeah half life just isn't my cup of tea either for whatever reason
I think it's mostly because of my useless game art degree
in the level design class we learned the valve hammer editor and after fucking around for hundreds of hours and multiple assignments with it, it just ruined half life for me
also Garry's mod, I remember when they used to have toybox or whatever I actually uploaded my class final and it got a decent amount of plays

It is just the most overrated title ever with the worst DRM. I am going to trigger some NEET's but i found Halo more engaging than any HL title, yet Sup Forums sucks Valves cock and titles Halo as "le babbys first le fps" when Halo CE is way harder than HL1 and 2 combined.

I like both HL games a lot, but I do think Halo CE is a harder and smarter shooter. Never played other Haloes.

half life isn't about difficulty, you can quicksave wherever you want

>autism

This is awful. The player needed a starter melee weapon so they made a reference to the original game when it's introduced. That's it.

This topic has come up many times.

It's too late. What you'll find now is that it's a generic single player FPS. But when it came out, it was far from generic. You've just been overexposed to the formula, because of how many games released afterward that drew inspiration from it.

It's like buying a light bulb and saying "I don't get what all the hype was about, it's just a fucking light bulb."

>Worst DRM
You can get this on Origin now?

They've done it in an awful wink-wink nudge-nudge way. It's even worse in Episode 1 where you get it in the last third of the game. I like how you just find the crowbar in Episode 2 stuck in some gears and nobody is there to make some witty quip. Episode 2 was so damn good.

oh man this is autism

the "Update" doesn't really up the visuals per se. It just adds some new props to BGs or increases shadow-map resolution in some scenes.