What has been the most influential game this century?

contenders

>league
>minecraft
>halo 3
>cod 4
>fifa
>gta
>hearthstone
>something else?

I'd probably say minecraft, followed by league, followed by cod 4

>video games
>century

Minecraft
Starcraft 2
League of Legends

In that order

I'm going to have to say Oblivion. Between the open-world and cosmetic DLC it really ushered in a new era.

Minecraft is definitely up there. Oblivion and its horse armor fuckery also heavily influenced the DLC shitfest we have today.

World of Warcraft

Minecraft hands down, regardless of your opinions on it.

other ones you've forgotten
tf2
oblivion/skyrim
runecape

If you actually mean "influential" as in "it influenced the industry the most", then obviously minecraft. Just look a the myriad of survivalbuildingcrafting games that came afterwards. Of course there are better games, but Minecraft is the most influential of those.

CoD4 didn't even start the whole "shooting brown people in the desert" thing.

>SC2
Explain how this is influential. Apart from being successful/having a lot of people playing it, what did it influence significantly outsie that group?

I'd guess he was implying esports, but I'm not really sure. I have no idea what SC2's influence really was in that aspect.

GTA 3
WOW
COD
DOTA

SC2 laid the entire groundwork for what has become modern esports, which in itself is a giant sub-industry to the gaming industry. Before, esports was only big in korea, SC2 made it big in the entire world. Then it fell off hardcore, but the foundation it built was inherited by other games.

It's kind of like how Brood War created the foundation that makes Korea dominate in every esport they play on a wide scale.

minecraft is the second best selling game of all time

I'm sorry user but SC2 wasn't as influential this time around. DotA did way more for the eSport scene.

>SC2 laid the entire groundwork for what has become modern esports
Wasn't that SC1?

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas

>league
>not Defense of the Ancients or warcraft 3
you dun fucked up

That's factually incorrect, user. SC2 was the first video game to be televised on a regular basis on major stations in several western countries, as well as being covered in major newspapers. It drew entire stadiums of viewers in several countries around the globe on a close to monthly basis, from the US to Poland, it kickstarted streaming by being the #1 reason Twitch separated from Justin.tv. What happened with SC2 had never been seen before in the west, DotA had very little to do with that massive march.

In a way, yes. BW did the same thing on an even greater scale, to the extent where even people who didn't watch knew the top players much like people who don't watch football still know Zlatan, but only in Korea. However, SC2 could never have done what it did without the massive success of BW.

ITT nobody knows what the word "influential" means and assume it just means that it was popular.

minecraft, none of the others are even slightly relevant outside of having been popular games.

in fact, looking at minecons i'd also say minecraft is responsible for one of the highest booms of autism and cringy shit in recent times

Most influential games

Super Mario Bros
sidescroller adventure
Doom
FPS
Alone in the Dark
Survival Horror

sonic