Is VR really the future or is it just an overblown meme?

Is VR really the future or is it just an overblown meme?

its so cool and fun less than 1% of steams userbase has adopted it.

Overblown meme.
It'll be for normalfags when it becomes affordable and muh immushrunfags when they play their milsims.

Almost every game will be using vr eventually either directly or indirectly. Why buy a monitor to play one when you can use your headset to sit in a virtual room with a virtual monitor. Vr is already quickly becoming the best way to experience movies and television.

Vr is absolutely the future but the future is just that, the future.

The only problem with that is milspergs already have trackir and they can see their thousands of dollars in peripherals without issue. So really the only point in VR is shitting out $30 horseshoe and shooting range titles using unity store assests because it's the only way for indie devs to make back their devset costs. And big name companies aren't going to make VR only games because it's too fucking small of a market. The closest you get to actual fun VR games are regular games that add in VR later and are no way built around it.

Why even post if you have nothing to contribute?

It's overblown at this point.

In the future, when we will be able to stream our consciousness into a device, it won't be overblown, it will be popular. I'm talking actual Matrix-level shit where you put on a device and it takes you to another, virtual world.

VR where you just wear a headset and flail your arms around with a couple sensors really does not achieve the escapism that VR is attempting. For VR to truly immerse you in a virtual world you must cut all ties to the real world and feel like you are actually in the virtual world.

Vr is amazing. The games are generally not.

Apart from a few highlights, there aren't many good games out for it.

Really excited for superhot vr though, as it's set to hit Vive soon, and the half-life 2 vr mod looks amazing.

its obviously the future, but much further in the future.

Right now it's a just a glimpse into the future, it's still not its time but it could become really good in a few years / decades when it has matured.

The technology is here, but the software is taking time. 2017 has quite a few AAA releases scheduled though, and a lot of indies that were announced 2015-2016 and got fuckhuge funding are set to release in 2017. Once adoption rates go up there will be too many games coming out to give them all a fair shot.

Ways to tell if someone who is shitting on VR has never tried VR:
>muh wagglan
>muh screen door
>muh dead online
>muh heavy HMD
>muh no games

Also you should thank Microsoft for at least trying to push VR by offering low cost alternatives that aren't gimped.

That's easily accomplished right now via dxm, ketamine, lsd or even just weed.

Man I feel bad for the dudes who were told this in 80s and are still fucking waiting. It's like hoverboards at this point.

What does this have to do with Sup Forums?

All VR it's good for at the moment is consuming visual media.

which headset do you own/have tried?

And the amount of people who are willing to do that in conjunction with also buying a VR headset is less than one half of one half of one percent of the population, therefore VR is an overblown meme.

You're a fucking moron.

Nobody is going to get invasive surgery on their fucking brain/spine to play videogames. the FDA would never let it happen anyway. You're a fucking retarded poorfag and i bet you haven't even tried a vive.

>Nobody is going to get invasive surgery on their fucking brain/spine to play videogames
.............................Who the fuck said that is the case? A far-future VR set might be a simple head device that reads brain impulses. No surgery required. The type of technology I'm talking about won't exist any time in the next 200 years. I said "actual Matrix-level shit" which very obviously implies far future technology, not some stupid surgery you get 10 years from now. I'm talking about technology that actually immerses you in a virtual world that appears 100% accurate to real life.

You're going full autism and the reason is, "I spent $1,200 on an impractical VR setup that has no games."

Look at the point of "VIRTUAL REALITY" technology. Read the fucking words. My whole point is that you can't FEEL LIKE YOU ARE IN A VIRTUAL REALITY when you have a heavy thing over your eyes and you're waggling dildo sticks with buttons in the air while trying to avoid walking off the 5-foot floor sensor pad. It's impractical and stupid. It's just a novelty, a meme (WHICH IS WHAT OP ASKED SPECIFICALLY)

Wow I havent laughed so good in a month! Thank you OP.

I guess now that waggle has come and gone there isn't much else to replace it as the next great gimmick. It'll be interesting to see where it's at in a decade, but I won't be buying in before then.

Waggle didn't really die though, almost every console videogame controller now uses motion sensing to some capacity or another.

I know, but it seems like motion controls lost a lot of their allure after everyone and their dog trashed their wii. VR seems to be the only vidya frontier left that people seem interested in, outside of the standard graphics advances at least, but I'm not that informed on all this shit either.

>Why buy a monitor to play one when you can use your headset to sit in a virtual room with a virtual monitor.
because a monitor is cheaper, more convienent, less intrusive, performs faster, and doesn't damage your eyes nearly as much?

>A far-future VR set might be a simple head device that reads brain impulses
it would also need to write brain impulses to actually trick your senses and would therefore be invasive