I played Shattered Memories and it was fun. What mainline Silent Hill shoud I start with?

I played Shattered Memories and it was fun. What mainline Silent Hill shoud I start with?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

SH3

The first one, duh

>I played Shattered Memories and it was fun.
Don't tell be you played it before playing the original?
Way to ruin both games for yourself, big time.

>What mainline Silent Hill shoud I start with?
The first one, obviously. Release order + replaying all of them is a must.

Let's repost the SH PC Guide + DL links:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" is a all-in-one fix, that works as a no-cd crack as well. It is included in the pack.
If you use the NEW fix mentioned in the guide, you can use the sh2proxy's EXE as the no-cd crack!

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.

SH2-4 do not support Xinput gamepads. Either use Xpadder, a DirectInput pad, or just play with KB+M.
You can now see some decent emulator settings for SH1 as well in the guide. If the image of the game does NOT fill your entire screen in fullscreen mode, check your plugin AND GPU control panel's image scaling settings!
Also give the new PGXP emulator a shot for a lot less wobbly PS1 graphics.

First one.
Release order.
Stop at SH4.
Medium difficulty, minimum, always.
Lower in-game Brightness.
Stay off the internet until you've beaten them all.
Avoid the ""HD"" Collections on consoles like plague.

Yeah, the first game is a masterpiece, and the sequels (up to but not quite including 4) are some of the highlights of all of gaming. Go to SH1 and continue onward; I played all 4 games last year for the first time and won't soon forget it.

It's nice to hear stories like this from newbies in modern times. Too much "played the [classic game], and it was shit. Fucking nostalgic fags!" -style posts on the net these days.

Wouldn't mind hearing more about your experiences; like what were you expecting when you started 'em, how was the gameplay/visuals/stories and such in your opinion, first endings...?

>Avoid the ""HD"" Collections on consoles like plague.

Seriously, this guy knows.

The HD collection is good guys believe me i only ruined the series!

>tfw still haven't beat a single SH game

I've been trying since like 2005 but I'm a pussy.

I started with SH1 because it was a game I had always meant to play. My older brother started with SH2 and left off the series for a long time because (as I would later find) SH2 has a pretty lousy opening act (the apartments go one for waaaay too long).

Since i didn't know anything about spoilers (other than some SH3 spoilers from these threads), I went in more or less blind, which I think was the optimal way.

No lie SH1 spooked the hell out of me. The game's greatest strength is that for a majority of the game (esp. your first time), your primary thought is "what the hell is going on?" It's like nothing is explained outright to you and it feels like the game is constantly changing the rules as you play in order to keep you from getting comfortable.

The story is delivered in a great and creepy way, and the visuals and design is top-notch. I was seriously unnerved by some of the imagery, like the boss chamber underneath the school, or walking outside of the Antique Shop. Or the sewers. Man that music made it so tense. 10/10 characters and voice acting is surprisingly good given the time of the release (Harry's voice is a little silly).

I admit that I bitched out and looked up a non-spoiler walkthrough to get a good ending my first time, because I had become accustomed to looking up a few obscure clues that genuinely stumped me as to progress (some puzzles in the hospital IIRC). The game's puzzles are a lot trickier than I thought, though all in all I only died twice in the whole game (one to the tentacle monster and again to the final boss).

Loved it so much I beat it two more times, getting Good+, Good-, and UFO (where i just totally FAQ'd my way through). Been meaning to go through again for a bad ending to get the katana and become Harry the Demon Slayer.

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Seems like nothing has changed in the past 17 years. I got into the series VERY early on, with the first game, when it had just recently released. The fact that I was like 11-12 at the time obviously made it even creepier (as if schools IRL werent bad enough), but I'd already played REs and such, so I thought I'd be fine. Boy, was I wrong!

I also do agree with SH2. As amazing game as it may be story/characters/symbolism-wise, it does suffer from some pacing issues and a tad underwhelming difficulty. Like I've once said before, SH2 always felt like a next-gen "expansion pack" to #1 to me, and later on I realized that without the "knowledge" of what to expect, in form of finishing SH1 first, SH2 can be very meh at first.

Just do like I did as a kid: Play in small dozes.
Like from a save-spot to the next one, or finish one major chunk of one area (like a puzzle / bossfight / one floor, etc), then save & quit.

I'm not ashamed to admit that the first times playing games like SH or AoM:DC, I pretty much only played something like 30 minutes at once, before I had to calm my nerves.

All that being said, embrace your emotions! We have had way too many internet tough-guys with apparently no skill of immersion, who just can't get moved by games in any way.

What kind of silly question is that? The first one obviously! It's a story-driven series, with more or less direct connections between the games. Plus, SH1 = best game.

>tfw I look like a boyish heather

Silent Hill 2. People will tell you otherwise but 2 and SM have by far the best stories in the series. 1 is fine too but has some pretty corny stuff. Still, holds up fairly well. 3 has the best horror but the writing is pretty weak. 4 has a slightly better plot but some pretty tedious gameplay.

Don't even bother with the rest.

Yeah, yeah. I've heard that so many times in these threads.

such a shame with 4. The story, despite being mostly told through notes you find, is really engaging, creepy, and interesting. I just can't think of it without thinking of the rooms with a dozen copy-paste enemies, or fucking wheelie-popping wheelchairs scooting all over the place. Or ghost pixel hunts to find the exact spot on their ass with which to impale them.

Matter of perseption, perhaps.
The first think I remember about 4 was calling the number on the billboard.

The story in SH4 was amazing, and it was one of the few games where I read every single note because I was scared of continuing playing so I'd just sit there reading everything.

2 > 1 > 3 > 4

3 is the only one I intensely dislike.

How?

I was scared to continue to, but more because "fuck my life I can't wait to fucking wade my way through 20 rooms of ghost spawns again"

Ghosts are literally the worst thing in the series, at least until Origins happened.

I'm an oldass SH fanatic, and not even I would recommend starting with SH2. I don't see what's so "corny" about SH1.

I disagree completely. Easily THE creepiest enemies in the whole series, by their design + their undying nature.

is the psp silent hill any good

Because of level design. Levels seemed not to be connected at all if you don't dig into subtext, so to this day both game and story are almost separate in my memory.
4 had some of the same problems, but it tied way more into the story so it balanced it out a bit.

Their design was generic apart from the 2 headed ghost and the one with the crowbar who would stutter around. Their undying nature added nothing besides annoyance, its just as bad as the durability in that later games in my opinion.