Does it deserve all the acclaim it gets?

Does it deserve all the acclaim it gets?

absolutely and if you don't know why you never will

It's perfect

I think so. It was great for its time and introduced a bunch of cool mechanics that never got repeated.

Is it canon that Magus was rocking that big package?

Yes

Yes. The only place you'll hear people shit on it is here.

Play it and tell me.

Like what?

Definitely, it's a real masterpiece of a videogame in pretty much any aspect. Graphics, music, gameplay, story, character... you name it.

Still enjoyable to this day despite it being a turn based jrpg

It really does. I would like a proper hardmode though, but you can't have everything.

Not really, it had great production values but that's it, only dumb EOPs and murricans think it's anything more than babby's first JRPG.
Don't fall for the "hype".

Yes, the only flaw is that its a bit short compared to alot of other RPGs on the SNES.

It's fun, involved, cool, and most importantly concise. Rpgs tend to wear out their welcome with ridiculous length as that used to be their selling point yet chrono trigger said and did a lot in a short amount of time while having really cool optional content at the end that felt like it was central to the story and not something just for completionists.

I owned a Genesis back in those days, so I never played CT until around 2011. I really wish I had played it as a kid, because it would have easily become my favorite game of all time.

JRPGs are a fairly stagnant genre, but lots of the NES and SNES games still feel like products of their time. Chrono Trigger doesn't. It's still engrossing and engaging and really damn fun. There are still some elements that place the game as a SNES JRPG, but I think it might be the most timeless in the genre.

Absolutely. The only thing it needs is a hard mode since its difficulty is babby tier.

Time travel effecting the world, duo and triple attacks, multiple endings depending on how you affected the timeline... I guess that's it.

Does it hold up nowadays or would it feel clunky to play?

Yes. I don't even like JRPGs anymore and I think it is a serious contender for GOAT.

Chrono Trigger>Dragon Quest

feels like golden age final fantasy, but with less statistics to worry about. i'd say it holds up well.

It holds up really well as a 2D turn-based JRPG.

>clunky
The hell do you mean?
It's a classic JRPG. How would it be "clunky"?

>duo and triple attacks
Chrono Cross and dozens of other jrpgs.

The only perfect game in existence, made by a team of future all stars from multiple mediums who put their entire heart into the project.

And? Why wouldn't you go ahead and mention it anyway?

>More than 3 people travelling through time
Triggered

chrono trigger is a good jrpg but jrpgs aren't good games, the gameplay works because it's simple and easy enough not to get in the way of the story

>introduced a bunch of cool mechanics that never got repeated.
>that never got repeated.

to be honest, I don't know if this is just how the game was built, but we never see much of the characters interacting with each other and for me that most of the appeal. for instance if magus joins the party we don't see any objections from frog,

keep in mind I only played it once

that forest scene was the only one