Witcher 3, HoS, B&W

PAM PA RAM, PAM PAM PA RAM, Witcher 3 thread

If the main game lasts, lets say 60 hours, how long are each of the expansions compared to it?

>15 hours/25% as long
>30 hours/half as long
>etc

Also while exploring high level areas outside Novigrad I'm coming across parchments and quest items with blue exclamations. I'm guessing these are a part of Hearts of Stone?

HOS is easily 10 hours.

Blood and Wine is about 30ish.

I like combing through entire areas and the main game took about 100 hrs for me.

HoS 20hrs, so that's about 12 hrs for you
B&W 40hrs, so that's about 24 hrs for you.

Mind you, I didn't do all question marks. Just practically all quests, with the exception of some grindy ones in Toussaint.

And yes, blue quests arefor HoS, red is for B&W

There's much less content to skip or miss in the expansion. Trade-off is they're also much tighter and basically show CDPR is still at their best when dealing with smaller areas as opposed to open world approximation that was in vanilla W3.

>If the main game lasts, lets say 60 hours
That's a silly assumption to start on cause it's more like 100 at least

HoS, yes. B&W still has massive quest lines outside of the main quest. I bet you can complete B&W in 10 hrs if you skip all side content.

I think it's rather, CDPR is at their best when they don't have to deal with all the Ciri book bullshit and can creatively write their own stories. See TW1, HoS, B&W and even TW2.

>quest items with blue exclamations. I'm guessing these are a part of Hearts of Stone?
Exactly. Same with red and B&W.

Also a little tip on the side: the moment you tell Yen or Triss that you love one of them, you're locked in the romance with her. If you tell both of them that you love them, you get none of them in the end.
Just saying that because the game doesn't make it clear and Triss moment comes way before Yennefer's, so you might screw that up.

Yeah, when they actually had to go off the book the story was much weaker than what they came up with themselves.

This is also why I'm excited for Cyberpunk 2077.

>tfw you didn't start your first playthrough on DM and get all other trophies on your that playthrough
Oh boy. This game sits too heavily with me. I can't just start it again like some random literally who game. This will take a while...

I'm on 80hrs and I've just arrived in Kaer Morhen. So I'd say this is correct.

I did my first one on blood and broken bones as well, I had much more difficulty with that one than replaying the game on DM afterwards.

At least you haven't played it more than twice. You can go down the alternate choices on your second playthrough so it's still definitely worth it.

Playing on the higher difficulty make sense because you'll actually be using everything a Witcher has. Easy is for retarded mouth breathers, Normal is a joke, B&BB is what normal should be and you're paying attention.

Yeah I switched to B&BB as soon as I noticed the meditation health replenishment thing. Didn't want that. But I was too much of a pussy to go with DM right away. Also thought DM might me too "out of its way" , but when I tried it towards the end, it was totally fine. Shame.
Yeah thats what I'm looking forward to. Its just that this game was like a full five course meal. I'm not able to start this again right away without rushing through it, which I dont wanna do.

I just started playing on B&BB a couple of weeks ago, and it definitely feels like it should be the default difficulty. Nothing is particularly hard if you prepare and use what's at your disposal, but mashing attack doesn't work against most enemies. That's more than the Skyrim audience wants to deal with, though, so I can see why they called an easier difficulty Normal.

Had you not played W2 previously to know the highest difficulties were a joke once you learn how to dodge?
I understand your sentiment about replaying though, I'll probably only replay this in 10 years when I've forgotten most of the story. Especially since i already go the best daughter ending and won't ever stray from Yen so I couldn't even change any choices

>Had you not played W2 previously to know the highest difficulties were a joke once you learn how to dodge?
W2 was never really a joke. I never beat the game on highest difficulty level just because some shitty Nekker or whatever would one shot me when I wasn't paying attention well enough.

I can blame the awkward controls, but I know plenty of people managed to beat it. Still, the entire experience pretty difficult just because you have only 1 life and that can be taken away in a single shot in the back.

Its kinda funny because I replayed W2 immediately on "dark" or what that highest difficulty was called after finishing it.
Not gonna be 10 years for me, I'm too much of a trophy whore to ignore that one thing dangling there. But its at least gonna be a couple of months.

>main game
>60 hours
all three runs I've done pushes just over 100

Well, W2 has the absolutely giant advantage of completely changing Act 2 and a lot of Act 3 based on one choice so immediately replaying it makes sense. Another thing stopping me from replaying W3 is the respec potion, I've already tried out an alchemy melee build, a completely red build, and a completely blue build, so I don't feel like starting all over again
>I never beat the game on highest difficulty level just because some shitty Nekker or whatever would one shot me when I wasn't paying attention well enough
Yes that's the point though, you can dodge everything forever easily enough, no matter the difficulty. Playing on the highest just forces you to actually do it

>completely changing Act 2 and a lot of Act 3 based on one choice so immediately replaying it makes sense
Yeah that certainly played a big part as well.(Roche was the bro, but Iorveth had the better location imo.)

IIRC Iorveth's path also made more immediate sense for Geralt since Roche was like "yeah you gotta help me find the killer first" and Iorveth just took you along to help you find Triss
Overall I prefer Broche though

Do I need to play Witcher 1 and 2 to have any idea what's going on?

No. Reading the books is admittedly way more important, but you can still enjoy the game if you take some stuff in stride.

But if I were you I'd at least play TW1. TW2 isn't as important, but mite as well give it a whirl.

> Game doesn't make it clear that when you tell two women you love them it will blow up in your face

Bioware ruined an entire generation.

Technically yes, but I played W2 and then 3, and then went back to Witcher 1 afterwards. But I understand the story perfectly fine.

I believe there's a Witcher 1&2 recap trailer or something if that would help?