Vintage Tom Clancy

Can we have a thread for vintage Tom Clancy games?

I consider anything pre-2008 a vintage Clancy game (but you can argue anything up to his death)

The original Ghost Recon to this day is still one of my favourite games, same goes with the first 3 Rainbow Six games.

Really hoping that small studios start making more tactical shooters like the ones I grew up with.

'Ready or not' looks neat, but i need to see some gameplay first.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4wEZv3cwoMs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I downloaded the Heroes Unleashed expansion mod for ghost recon and its massive.

Each class gets 200 loadouts, tons more unit backgrounds (rangers, delta, GROM, GIGN, KSK, even Spetznas)

Adds like 200 more missions to the game, as well as better textures for everything. Loved sneaking through Baltic swamps at night during a rainstorm.

I've yet to download any significant mods for Rainbow Six games though.

Hear there are some good ones for Rainbow Six 3, gotta look into it.

Really want PC release of original SOCOM games, was dissapointed they are not getting released on that Playstaion streming service (or that there has never been an HD remaster of the first 4 games; 4 being combined assault of course)

The planning phase is the coolest fucking thing about OG Rainbow 6 so of course that's the one part that nobody copies ever.

It can be downright confusing without knowimg how it works, modern casualization would never allow such depth in a video game.

Even the default planning in 3 was often broken, forcing you to make your own or run the mission solo because red teams stuck breaching a door from 5 actions ago.

But surely the tech is there now to make the whole process more intuitive?

Like even being able to view the map in real time instead of a 2d approximation of it would go a long way towards making it easier to grasp.

I was always too young to understand what the fuck I was doing in the planning stage so I just went with the default.

Then as I got older I didn't really give a shit about the planning phase and just went with the default.

Probably why I liked Ghost Recon more, the planning wasn't some obtuse fucking maze.

Tech is there for basically anything we wished for 14 years ago.

The aging market for such games is definetly holding devs back.

Thinking mans games dont sell as well as arena shooter: lite

Vintage Clancy is more like 05 and before. The only decent Clancy game after that is OG Xbox version of Double Agent (even a lot of 05 was shaky - fuck the abortion named Lockdown).

Splinter Cell went to shit, Ghost Recon went to shit and Rainbow Six went to shit.

It's a shame.

People don't actually want a thinking man's shooter, they say they do but what they really want is a game that pats them on the back for looking at pretty art assets.

Gamers fucking HATE having to learn new things.

I hope Ubisoft loses the Clancy namesake, they just keep projecting their shitty game ideas on a good name.

The PC versions of GRAW 1 and 2 are the only saving graces of Ghost Recon post GR 2001.

Sure hope you mean Desert siege and Island thunder as well when you say OG ghost recon.

GRAW 1 was a cool concept, wrapped in a buggy underdeveloped shell. 2 was not much better (would say the second was a copout on the namesake)

If the AI was not so trash, and your squad was more then just sentry turrets then it would be much better.

>your squad was more then just sentry turrets then it would be much better

The team mate AI was vastly improved upon in GRAW 2.

As for the enemy AI, they can be surprisingly intelligent at times.

I want a good splinter cell game so bad.
youtube.com/watch?v=4wEZv3cwoMs

I just remember guys shooting at you from behind one story rocks, and guys with rocket launchers on hills.

Yea, that's kind've bullshit, but replaying certain levels, they do change the positioning of enemies, which is both frustrating but also offers replayability.

Just have to cheese it for certain sections.

When I think Splinter Cell, I really just want another Chaos Theory.

I liked what convinction did with manouverability, but the atmosphere was lacking. Was literally a game revolving around character development

>Was literally a game revolving around character development

I kinda wish we had an Ubi Dev that worked on conviction do an ama. I like conviction too but it wasn't perfect or stealth centric like the other Splinter Cells. I'm also curious if Michael Ironside had a lot of say in the writing process since he was pushing for Sam's character to develop since day 1.

Blacklist Sam is probably what the character would have been like since day 1 if Ironside didn't demand rewrites.

Not videogames

I just got the mod too. I just wish there was a way to use the added units you mentioned on missions.

if only choosing loadout wasnt a chore.

Also, those sights are way over the top. Other then that its an incredible mod

Can we do some coop OP?

I'm pretty sure theres a way to make it work still.

They are under the special units tab on the selection screen. The third one i believe. I had a KSK chick that died in Lithuania first mission I ran with her.

F.

Loadout selection is a chore I agree, the system in place was not intended for that many selections.

I usually just run silenced battle rifles on all my ops anyway, those take some good clicks to get to the 417's.

Fuck you

Chaos Theory is the proper way to develop characters.

In the field, during gameplay, avoiding cutscenes. Character development needs to be something that can be completely ignored without being forced on you.

The banter in Chaos Theory was australia tier