steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1954971077935370845

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/market/search?q=doge
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Valve: We won't hire real people to sift through to detect non-games
>Valve: We won't disable cards for non-games
>Valve: Let's develop an algo that will be gamed by non-game devs.

Get real

>These fake developers take advantage of a feature we provide to all developers on Steam, which is the ability to generate Steam keys for their games. They generate many thousands of these keys and hand them out to bots running Steam accounts, which then idle away in their games to collect Trading Cards. Even if no real players ever see or buy one of these fake games, their developers make money by farming cards.

but that's wrong, just having cards drop doesn't give the dev any money, only when someone buy those cards, which by itself isn't "cheating the system" since the person who buys them isn't tricked into it or anything.

mark my words, in a few month, a year tops, they'll make it so the only way to get cards is if you bought the game through steam, and not through a key.

It's like making copies of music and selling it at school for 3 dollars an album.

test >test

Unless I missed something, what is their new algorithm or whatever? Playtime?

u still can farm em just fine

just have some of the guys at valve scratching their butts do some QA on the shit they publish instead.
all they've been doing is trying to automate shit, and their service keeps being shit

A mix of playtime, account age, number of games owned, transactions made.

First fake news and now fake developers? What's next?

I still giggle a bit when thinking about Bad Rats.

People are going to try to game the system again by eating up Humble Bundle trash more so than ever, and idling the shit out of everything, manipulating active player counts even more.

literally nothing wrong with this

Did steam already implemented that system? I have a ton of shitty games that drop cards and never played them, it is too late to get cards?

How about also banning the developers and removing their game from steam if their only intent is to farm cards? I doubt those are some high quality games being put there.

that's a good idea tbqh

I don't understand how they can sell cards for a game no one supposedly plays

Who is buying the cards?

People who want to farm cheap exp.

autists who farm steam levels and people who want meme emotes
steamcommunity.com/market/search?q=doge
>4 fucking doge emotes

>fake games
fuck off valve

But how would they tell?

I just got into steam and got some free cards for buying AoEII:HD. What are the purpose of these things?

Devs would need to get their games onto Humble Bundle first.
The issue isn't "People are jewing cards" but "Developers are jewing their own cards".
Person makes a 'fake game', and adds cards towards it. The cards resell all together more then the game does. If you get whales to buy up your cards you got with your own secondary keys, you would be able to inflate your steam bucks and cash out by a fair amount, making more then you might even off of direct sales.

So people buy cards for a game they've never played just to get steam levels? What the hell is the point

Every 10 levels you get more slots to use on your steam page. After level 50, it's just for show. A ton of people care about show though.

you're kidding, right?

You're asking a question that might've been demonstrated better back in the mid 2000s like MySpace or a little later, the second wave of Facebook.

fake games

I have over 10,000 steam cards

What do I do with them?

make a minimum of $100

so every visual novel? thats not new, user

fake visual novels games disguised as VNs.

Thats really the core of the problem

Valve loves automating processes on Steam to save time, but every time it causes something shitty to happen.

When they switched from authorizing games personally and going to Greenlight, any kind of quality filter that existed went out the window, resulting in a bunch of shit games and scams on the frontpage (which caused the problem they're dealing with now

The scams will continue the second they figure out the system, which shouldn't be that long

does this mean I can't use idlemaster anymore?

Doesn't seem bad at all desu. What's wrong with it?

Did you actually read the article?

I skimmed it

Retail key activations haven't been counted toward Steam Account game requirements since the coal incident.

Wow genius, it's almost as if service automation is inherently flawed and always a compromise.

In his defense, OP obviously didn't either

True enough.
You'll be fine.

Don't forget they want to abandon green light this year in favor of devs just paying money forward to put games on the store.