Remember when we worshiped this guy? What was the turning point for you?

Remember when we worshiped this guy? What was the turning point for you?

Pretty much when they stopped producing games and never bothered fixing Steam.

When TF2 started releasing hats.

fpbp

>we
Speak for yourself kiddo

fpbp

>we

When it went mainstream,

Felt the normies take the meme when he walked on stage when Half Life 2 won greatest game of all time during that awards show.

I still worship him.
He's the reason I have a job. although Id worship hm anyway

The attempt at paid mods.

When he stopped making any games at all. And when he and all his cronies went turbo bitch pussy mode whenever Half-Life 3 was mentioned.

>sweating profusely
>"We...uhhhhhh....have...n-n-nothing to say about Half-Life."
>looks around nervously

They are one of the most boring game developers now.

Sup Forums of 5 years ago is completely different. Its not all liberal leftist cocksuckers here now. Just look at all the threads:

>fucking cartoon (manga?) games
>asian rpg games where all you do is choose texts
>bashing on good games just because they are popular
>retards still buying handheld """consoles"""

Literally 90% of all threads arent even video game related. Even when they are video game related they are about bashing some game or a "does Sup Forums approve of said game" thread.

Pic related, your average Sup Forums poster

/thread

>What was the turning point for you?
The entire shitstorm that was his damage control AMA on paid mods

>"actually money is how the community steers work"
>thousands of downvotes

Gotta hand it to him for pissing even goddamn Reddit off

I don't.
Valve's biggest success is Counter Strike Source, which is a newer version of a mod.

the phone number shit is honestly the most irritating fucking garbage.

-crates
-keys
-hats
-poor servers
-no Brazilian/Chinese servers to remove cancer off queue
-cards
-paid emoticons
-paid wallpapers
-no new game in years
-no half life 3 ever
-25% share to content creators instead of 75% it at least 50
-paid mods

Pick any.

A damn shame too

Said and did all the right things and just fell hard

He still has a chance though, we all make mistakes

>-crates
>-keys
>-hats
>-paid emoticons
>-paid wallpapers
Let's be honest here, I'd do the same. If you have a community of mouthbreathers willing to pay up, you'd be a fool not to exploit them

I disagree, nowadays CSGO is way bigger than what CSS could have imagined.

Portal is Valve's most successful work overall, though. It's been almost a decade and people on Sup Forums are STILL arguing about portal physics.

I'm a fucking baby and stopped jerking gaben off once I couldn't find any games I wanted from steam sales. Used to make out like a bandit, but now the games I want seem to only be 10% off.

I'm not talking about popularity.
And Portal did nothing but spam a fuckload of cancerous reddit memes, just like TF2.

He doesn't care about the modders getting paid though he just how big the modding community was and he wanted to monetize it

Paid mods, the way Dota 2's development was handled (took YEARS just to port all the original heroes yet took no time at all to shove the game full of thousands of cosmetics, many of which are Valve-made), early access, and the sheer fact that Valve doesn't make single-player games anymore.

I just spent 200 dollars on his compendium

When they fucked up everyones traiding retards and children who still manage to get scammed by russians on throwaway accounts.

>we

Just outted you fucking shitter

the first wave or two of hats were cool, they fit the characters, fit the art style, fit the '''''''''lore'''''''' but then it just got fucking stupid. they even hired a psychologist to come up with a way to get people to spend more money in the store which is where it all started.
theyre doing the same to dota 2 now, lately the cosmetics are absolutely ridiculous and dont fit anything in the actual game.

30% CUT
%
C
U
T

I'd have a hard time resisting buying some of those sailor moon figurines

I never had a turning point. Valve not really making games anymore sucks, but because of Steam PC gaming was completely revitalized and now we have gazillions more games than we ever would have without it.

I mean, I know people LOVE to bitch, but without Steam the PC market would be magnitudes smaller and with an incredibly less diverse annual library, so yes, while I miss the bi-annual Valve game, in it's place I have many many more, so I feel like it's a good tradeoff.

But Valve isn't the only ones that do this. They're staying competitive by following the industry standard.

remember when sony profits were failing and they payed polygon a mere 20 thosand dollars to write an article bashing steam, that literally no one gives a fuck about?

its funny how no one gives a fuck about sony anymore too

What's wrong with Steam?

the developers set the sale percentage, not valve. although the 30% cut tends to make developers more stingy then theyre suppose to be.

he doesn't make games anymore

its not xbox live

I never worshipped him

At some point they just started doing everything wrong.

If they still made games I would still worship them. A new Left 4 Dead, Half Life, Team Fortress, or entirely new IP from Valve would be great, but they've gotten too comfortable with the steady flow of income from steam to bother creating new games anymore. They have gone from a game development company to becoming a game platform for other developers.

Its still bullshit. Its one of the reasons why we have clients like Origin, Uplay, etc. No one wants to give up 30% earnings.

no, only pcmr worshiped him

dota 2 updates and paid mods for skyrim (we are doing this for you!) was the final hit.

Remember when we hated this cuck before reddit invaded and people worshiped him?

I'm still mad I have to install that shit to play most PC games

>we

Nice meme. At the end of the day he's a corporate jew. Worshiping corporate jews is something no one should do

Man I thought my books a million was shit

Why's half that store toys and DVD's, all I remember wasting space was usually a coffee shop or a fuckton of magazines

>stopped making games
>flooded all their games with microtransactions and marketplace faggot shit
>opening the floodgates to thousands of godawful games on steam (greenlight, early access)
>paid mods

no

>paid emoticons
>paids wallpapers
>cards
All optional m9
inb4 hurr durr b-but i want my profile to look shiny tehehe xd
die

not to mention cards are free drops and you can sell them to buy actual games. people are literally complaining about free money

tf2 went f2p
i remember this moment like it was yesterday
>turned on my pc
>open steam
>update window pops up
>'tf2 is now free to play guyz'
>'also buy weaboo sim for soldier katana'
>delete game content
And i was done. I also remember there was a thread on Sup Forums from guy who bought tf2 just day earlier and.

Paid mods, after that it became obvious he was a fat fucking jew.

It's not Uplay

That is because Bfags are kidding themselves

>started going on Sup Forums in 2005
>leave Sup Forums around 2012-2013 because real life and got bored
>came back literally last week and been lurking since
>it's literally the same shit as 2012, almost same jokes as well
>same "videogames are shit" and "neo-Sup Forums is crap" threads

sasuga

When they stopped doing games

and they tried charging for mods

also when they killed TF2 with microtransactions

The tipping point for me was when Steam sales became an ordinary thing with literally no originality at all.

We used to have challenges, fun times, achievements for steam sales, minigames, hidden trivia, daily deals ("super" sales), etc

Nowadays what we get is a bunch of discounted games (that are usually on sale throughout the whole year anyway), the most interesting games are only at 20-30% off, and there's no super sales anymore. Remember the excitement of waiting every day for the clock to turn over and get new sales? Remember saving up for the final day for the most popular resales to buy those games that you might have missed in the previous days?

That shit doesn't exist anymore. Now all games are discounted once during the sale and that's it. You get new "front page" deals every day but those aren't discounted further, no, they are simply advertised.

And the most you get usually is just a shitty comic with shitty art and a bunch of summer/winter trading cards for a badge. No more minigames. No more treasure hunts. No more achievements to complete in some games to unlock further minigames. Nope. Fuck you gaben.

>wanting to wait more days for a deeper sale instead of getting the sale upfront

you are a retard

He is still pretty great, his latest actions to support devs and punish the devs that attack the users is just what we need. They are trying so hard to clean up in the mess thai is steam.

You're not getting a "deeper" sale now, you just get the same face value sale throughout the whole week timespan. It's just shit all around.

this

The best part is that there was no need to ruin their games with this bullshit. They get 30% of each sale in their store for doing nothing but hosting which is an astronomical number considering that pretty much every PC game is posted on the store. It's purely so they can buy afford a smaller yacht that floats in the swimming pool of a bigger yacht.

>What's wrong with Steam?
I know right. I mean just look at their awesome customer support! that fat fuck gaben could have at least hired some fucking poo in the loos, but he doesn't even spend the pennies it costs to do just that

Never worship him once. I had to use his service because fucking games now runs on steam platform.

I miss retail non-steam games. The last boxed non-steam game i own is UT3 black and Crysis collection. I will soon go with GoG full fledge without stop like i should be day 1.

how shitty the updates started becoming with community created hats, then EOTL happened, and then paid mods were the final nail in the coffin that was valve for me

It was Sup Forums that got everyone worshipping the fat fuck in the first place. Reddit just copies whatever the hell Sup Forums does.

>also when they killed TF2 with microtransactions
was there any retail game before pre-f2p tf2 that had microtransactions? there are many cancerous trends in the industry that valve in one way or another played a part in bringing to fruition

This but now Sup Forums copies reddit. The cycle of shiteating never ends.

I still like him. Steam is pretty great all things considered. I never really cared about half life and valve games are micro-transaction cancer except Portal so I'm happy if they don't make any more games and just get rich off Steam.

I worry that they'll eventually fuck up Steam though. Like how YouTube is currently fucking over all their content producers.

this.
I actually believe we are the only 2 guys left

>but now Sup Forums copies reddit
Nah. Faggots from reddit just spill over to Sup Forums more often then before.

I'm pretty sure Bethesda are the ones that started it with the horse armor in oblivion.

When the real sales stopped happening. I don't remember the last time a decent game went on sale for more than 75% off. Plus, there's mountains for garbage to browse through now which are artificially increasing the value of non-shit games.

>same company in part responsible with the paid mods shit
it's like a match made in hell

I remember thinking how would Sup Forums end and how I would break the circle.

And here I am, one of the last few survivors from an ancient era. How was the end you ask? I did not notice, Sup Forums was dead when it started

We just grew comfortable, user... ;_;

Valve is doing a lot of things wrong and they're still the best gaming company out there pretty much. I'm just scared what happens to Steam and Valve when Gabe dies or resignes or whatever. I don't buy much stuff on Steam because I'm paranoid about the future

>>same company in part responsible with the paid mods shit

My god, you're right.

What are your alternatives, though? Re-buying decade old games on GOG? And if you want to play online, your game will be linked to a service just like Steam, be it Uplay, PSN, Battlenet, and so on.

You either get something good or nothing at all.

paid mods killed everyone's last faith in valve

I know, I hate everything with these services, licences. DRM etc... I use GOG when I can and pirate some stuff as well

I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of paid mods, but I doubt there's a good way to do it. I respect that some people would like to make money from modding, and if we had people who could mod full time like how some people are full time youtubers I think we'd all benefit to some extent.

But they way they tried to do it was bullshit.

I would like some sort of system where big mods like Enderal could be sold. But I don't want stupid weapon packs or fishing mods at $5 a piece.

>I'm still mad I have to install that shit to play most PC games
yeah, because you surely would want to patch games manually and download digital games in .parts

The thing about paid mods is that it's essentially a micro-transaction. But this time less regulated and more shit filled.

most full time youtubers are trash though

cosmetics/market

Back when you weren't born, games got tested and never needed patching. The first abysmal release I remember is Gothic 3, which was what, 2006?

When steam sales became wank

Still am, not turning point.

You couldn't even keep faithful to a religion, heretic.

When he started doing nothing

I always thought he was a fuckin fraud

Half Life 1 is overrated as fucking shit

Half Life 2 was a good tech demo for its time

TF2 stopped being good when hats were added

Half Life 3 is going to happen someday, it's going to be about identically as 'good' and full of stupid filler as Half Life 2 except the autistic Half Life fanbase is going to treat it as a gift from God and forgive all of Valve for spending twenty fucking years dicking around and doing nothing

>hen we worshiped this guy
Never ever fell for his shenanigans.

LOL, yeah right. Ultima 8 was broken and had to get patched on fucking floppy discs which were sent to your home address. This has always been happening

Why the fuck would I care about Valve when all the steam sales suck? It's not like they make games.

>Hurrr you already own everything

Bullshit. You can use price-tracking websites to see shit like fallout new vegas complete edition used to go on sale for $4.99 back in like 2012-2013 and now it only ever gets down to $10'ish.

I should never see 10%-15% off featured on the front page of a holiday sale.

Used to be lightning fast actually had a nice server browser and everything.

It's shit and bloated as fuck now.

I still thought it was funny when whoever gave him the birthday card from Sup Forums made him buy a key to open his birthday present crate

He doesn't deserve 30% of my customers' money.

>everyone's
Looking at , there are plenty of Steamtards left.

>t. wasn't on Sup Forums 5 years ago