Yakuza

So I've seen some gameplay recently of yakuza 0 and it looks really good. Is it okay to start with 0? I only have a ps4 btw.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gU-va_fvm0o
youtube.com/watch?v=kn7CvTZpyws
youtube.com/watch?v=sdVvgdVglOw
youtube.com/watch?v=ACUhXbJyz3o
youtube.com/watch?v=q7gzFBnfRfo
youtube.com/watch?v=MYB-D9qEwzI
youtube.com/watch?v=CbsArEBYrjk
segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/201703_3q_tanshin_e_final.pdf
seganerds.com/2016/12/17/yakuza-6-the-song-of-life-has-surpassed-500000-sales-in-asia/
playstationlifestyle.net/2017/02/06/yakuza-6-sales-help-boost-segas-performance/#7fHKc8HsMPyF5ke3.99
youtube.com/watch?v=pONkmj4trhE
youtube.com/watch?v=_1uNUhIgC2g
youtube.com/watch?v=tYLIIKV5pd8&
youtube.com/watch?v=vUYrv601WBw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I bought it completely blind. No videos of gameplay or anything.

It is currently my favorite game of 2017. I fucking love 0 and I'm hyped for Kiwami.

Kiwami?

Remake of Yakuza 1 coming out in august for $35 on PS4.

Remake of the first Yakuza in 0's engine. Coming August. To answer your question, Yakuza 0 is a prequel so you can jump in. SEGA is planning on making a Ryu ga Gotoku (Yakuza) collection remaster with Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 in the future so might aswell jump in now.

0 is a good starting point since it's the first in the timeline and there's no references to other games (except a few characters who are in 0 substories and show up in the later games but its not that important)

actually, the price is $30

Don't worry, it's shit.
>Exact same combat from Zero with no improvements except for instant style switching
>Kiryu goes down even easier than in Zero, eventhough he's supposed to be the Dragon of Dojima
>They don't fix the bosses from 1, they made it a literal reskin
>Game looks worse due to it's reskin
>Shitty music
>You have to grind a shit ton to upgrade your main fighting style, you have to fight majima for hours and hours.

Holy shit that sounds amazing. Thanks for the answer btw.

>more majima

i dont see how this is a problem

Yeah but not everyone is going to go out of their way to emulate the first one, Kiwami is convenient as fuck. Only the most die-hard fans will have problems with Kiwami but if it's your first time then it's arguably a better experience.

>$30
>WOWOWOOWOWOWOWOW IT HAS *******DUBSTEP******* I LITERALLY CANNOT EVEN RIGHT NOW
kys, I can't wait for Kiwami and 6 to sell the best in the west

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Majima eventhough Zero ruined his character but the fact that you have to fight him so much is really fucking annoying.
That is true, just making sure that people don't get hyped for it, they'll be disappointed.

>backstory
>ruined character

>eventhough Zero ruined his character
genuine kek

I've yet to play P5 and NieR: Automate, but the chance of those games trumping Y0 is surprisingly small. Fucking great videogame. Love it to death. Can't wait for Kiwami.

Wow awesome.

Just wait for the PC version. Sega already confirmed it's coming.

>SEGA is planning on making a Ryu ga Gotoku (Yakuza) collection remaster with Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 in the future
We don't even know if Kiwami 2 is on the tables yet and Nagoshi has only just stated he'd like for the collection to happen on his blog. Don't hype these people up when either of them haven't even been confirmed.

Omg this thread every fucking week. It's a prequel! Of course you can

Did you just not read what OP read or something?

>I'm not really an absolute madman, I'M JUST PRETENDING TO BE!! EPIC AND TRAGIC!!

did you not play the game or did you just not pay any attention to his story

Saying Majima is doing his best to pretend not to be a madman in Zero is closer to the truth than what you say.

>pretending
He IS crazy, but also sad. Didn't you understand the game or what?

Any advice for a Yakuza 3,4 5 player who is thinking of starter his copy of 0 This weekend?

The new leveling system and combat styles are upsetting my autism.

I also hear that sidestories no loner show up as ? on map and that the substory for realestate is hard.

Are these lies?

>I also hear that sidestories no loner show up as ? on map
They do show up though, as an !

How hard is it to complete realestate shit?

Can I knock it all out in one shot like the Hunting, taxi idolshit and Baseball in Yakuza 5?

None of the guides ive seen really explain how it works other than "beat this guy by throwing money at him and having the right employees"

Only Yakuza game I haven't at least played and the only mainline I haven't beaten.
What is so special about this one that it brings in so many casuals/first timers?
Yakuza went from niche underrated gems to being mentioned on the same level as Nier and Persona

the substories dont show up, but when you've started them they show up as !

He is not crazy. He is just living life "to it's fullest"and not giving a shit after meeting the people from Yakuza 0.
That's about it.
Crazy people are more interesting, not some faggot YOLO bullshit.

real estate is not like the 5 shit, you actually have to spend lots of time on them and most of the time goes to collecting money.

>being mentioned on the same level as Nier and Persona

those used to be niche and underrated too, at least Nier.

Only here. The game sold like total shit in the West - 100k copies. These are Yakuza 3 numbers.
Kiwami and Y6 will sell even less, get ready for Dead Souls numbers and another stop.

Why not both?

What advice do you have for someone who is interested in Yakuza series, but has never played the games before. Is it a standard beat em up with a GTA story?

Bloodborne and Metal Gear are the only good game on the left.
The rest is weebshit.

Time to invest in a real platform with games

It's an action/adventure beat 'em up game with stories that are dramatic, character driven, and have more twists in the story the further into the games you go. It also has many many minigames and substories to play with characters that get referenced in later games as well. There are contextual environmental attacks and contextual weapon attacks that you can perform to help you in battle as well.

Emulate the first game, even though the gameplay is still basic at that point you'll understand what kind of a game it is and toasters can do it, and as you go on they only get better in terms of gameplay.

Just got it a few days ago and the only thing I hate is that there are a lot of loading screens when you enter buildings which can get annoying.

>GTA story?
get this idea out of your head, Yakuza is nothing like GTA. Blame Sega for advertising the first game as such.

Yakuza is a Japan simulator. It's story-driven but the side content can easily consume 100 hours of your time. It's that extensive and it's the reason why you'll always get your money back when you buy these games.

Except for it being open in when you tackle missions, it's nowhere near being like GTA.
The combat mechanics are easy to get in to, but harder to master completely. All the heat actions are fucking hilarious and make it stand out compared to your typical beat em up. What makes or breaks the game is whether you're fine just faffing about doing ridiculous side quests and playing mini games which is honestly the real meat of the content. The main story itself (in 0 at least) was decent enough to keep my interest but is padded out somewhat and feels hilariously serious juxtaposed to all the crazy shit going on in the side content.
So unless you mind it at times being a bit slow or being quirky, then most definitely give it a spin. Not like anything I've played before, that's for sure.

Emulate 1 and 2 if you can. Work your way up with 3-5 if you have a PS3. If you only have a PS4 then just go with 0.
Story is pretty much a soap opera with a lot of stupid plot twists, but it's pretty enjoyable.

This was my first Yakuza game as well and I knew very little outside of what the combat was like from a Japanese demo of a previous Yakuza title on PS3.

I also loved it and have pre-ordered Kiwami as well. Might not quite be my favorite game of 2017 but it's pretty fucking close.

Only played 0, but I'm very curious about the rest of the series.
I hear a very mixed opinions about basically all the games, but the general consensus seems to be that 0 is the best. I'm not really too fond about most of the games reusing the map, the assets and animations etc. and I hear that Kiwami is basically just a worse version of 0. So where to go from here.

0 is a fine starting point and one of the best games in the series.

damn Kuze and Awano look exactly like their characters

Stay away from our kino westernshit fag

Thank you to all the user's that shed some light on the game. Going to emulate 1-2
I have a PS3 so I shouldn't have a problem getting 3-5

any tips for leveling/ using cp points guys?

It's rare that a game has actually makes me laugh out loud more than once or twice.
I had a good chuckle the first time Kiryu did the move where he slams some poor fuck to the ground and then jumps with all his force on top of it. Same for the super jumping piledriver and many others.

They've been modeling characters off of their voice actors since 4. It's pretty well done.

>i only have a PS4

You don't have a fucking choice then. The answer is yes OP, and what you will miss in refrences from older games, you will GAIN in Yakuza Kiwami because you will have stonger ties to Nishkiyama for it.

Prioritize putting your cp points into business. It's a lot better than the very minor upgrades in the other trees.

>I'm not really too fond about most of the games reusing the map
That's by far one of the best parts of the games, it's fantastic to go into a new game and see all new shops, areas completely changed, new areas you can enter, and old faces. One of my favorite parts of the start of every new game when you visit Kamurocho as Kiryu is to get to meet Yuya and Kazuki again, go talk to the Master at Bantam and have him know who you are, maybe get a substory to see Doc Emoto, and see what wacky hijinks Date has gotten up to before seeing what new things they added, it's fantastic. It's something you really have to deal with or you're not going to like the series because that's a big draw of it, touring Kamurocho and seeing what changes is one major part of the experience.

0 is considered the best because it's the culmination of years of development. You have all the minigames, a bunch of substories, a bunch of references, an entirely new battle system (Though they did kind of prototype it in both Kenzan and Ishin with different weapon styles you could change to on the fly), both cities, and the refined targeting and slapping backwards (When you press square and back and you hit behind you) attacks mid-combo which didn't even get fluid until like 3. Going to the older games you will have to deal with the fact that they're not as developed because that's how it all started, but you get fun stories and storylines to go with it.

>i only have a PS4 so sho-
>JUST GET IT ON PC!

Do you guys even read threads vefore you type? Are mustards the fucking vegans of the vidya world?

Do the real estate side quests until you have the DOD style-
Once you've done that, get the combat finder and fight mr shakedown, alternate between winning and losing, you'll quickly make trillions.
pro tip: R1+O.

>The MGSV ocelot of the Yakuza series.

They didn't have to spell it our so hard for us. Yakuza 1's scene where he takes the knife for Kiryu and later lets that girl go were aybtle enough.

How long with the realestate shit take me? I really wanna get DOD style asap as I have been playing this goddamn series too long to fuck around with new shit.

Karaoke, dancing, and shogi are all easy CP.
Get the Deep Pockets Mr.Shakedown for Kiryu so you can grind mad money in minutes.
Here's a shogi guide.
youtube.com/watch?v=gU-va_fvm0o

>"i'll be your clown"

g-godammit Majima-kun...

It takes maybe a couple of days if you do it casually, it's unfortunate that it's so boring, especially since Majimas cabaret minigame is pretty fun and quick in comparison.

Like if you had to guess a total hour investement if I just went full autist and tried to blast through it asap?

Or is that not possible in this game without advancing story?

That's a brutal one

Post favorite tracks. Hard mode: No Kuze battle theme.

youtube.com/watch?v=kn7CvTZpyws

The whole timed section where this plays with Kiryu escaping the Dojima family was hype as fuck.

I think it could be done in one LONG session, two decent ones if you do only the real estate quests.
You have to meet mr moneybags kammorucho, whom I think you meet in chapter 5. So play normally until chapter five then hunker down and do it.

youtube.com/watch?v=sdVvgdVglOw
A shame that it was cut from the western release

They're all pretty fucked up.

youtube.com/watch?v=ACUhXbJyz3o

>6 to sell the best

It bombed in Japan, I expect nothing here

youtube.com/watch?v=q7gzFBnfRfo

godtier

You need to wait for the money to be collected, so the more CP you invest in quicker money collection the quicker it'll go

Grind for CP and get "Deep Pockets Mr.Shakedown" as Kiryu. Let Mr.Shakedown take your money, beat him up, and get a good chunk of change from him.
With a shitload of money you can just buy all of the property in the game, and real estate will be done before you know it.

If I want to fuck Awano and Kuze does that mean I want to fuck their actors?

>I won't kill people
>does that

youtube.com/watch?v=MYB-D9qEwzI
FUNK

That's actually pretty tame. Most of the knife stabs are usually worse since he goes straight for the gut or the sword slashes which he cuts straight across the chest and stomach. Then there's 6's which definitely kill people.

youtube.com/watch?v=CbsArEBYrjk

I sure was thankful I don't live at home any longer and didn't have to worry about my parents walking in on me during that mini-game.

Remember when everyone thought this was going to kill Kiryu?
I'm sure this hooligan can walk it off.

>It bombed in Japan
>Sold the best out of any mainline game
really makes you think huh?
segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/201703_3q_tanshin_e_final.pdf
seganerds.com/2016/12/17/yakuza-6-the-song-of-life-has-surpassed-500000-sales-in-asia/
>In terms of packaged games, SEGA reported an increase in sales, thanks in part to Football Manager 2017 and Ryu ga Gotoku 6: Inochi no Uta, which is headed to the West as Yakuza 6 in 2018. The Entertainment Contents segment, which includes video games, also saw favorable performance from Phantasy Star Online 2, which celebrated its fourth anniversary.
Read more at playstationlifestyle.net/2017/02/06/yakuza-6-sales-help-boost-segas-performance/#7fHKc8HsMPyF5ke3.99

>barely used throughout the game
It's so good too

youtube.com/watch?v=pONkmj4trhE
I will never forget the fight with it, it was the best thing ever since it was the first time in the series where it went from cutscene to gameplay and it started playing the song as soon as the chat started. 4's final fights using the theme song were nowhere near as powerful by comparison.

3 gets a bad rep but Mine is the best final fight t b h

>which definitely kill people.
Majima fucking snaps people's necks in this game and they're fine.

youtube.com/watch?v=_1uNUhIgC2g

G E T F U N K Y

Yes, start with 0. I actually recommend playing it first because the series unfortunately progressively gets worse from 1~5. I would suggest playing 1+2 and just dropping from there.

mine was the best antagonist because he was gay

proof?

He's really fun that's for sure, and he makes for a great addition to the Ultimate Skill battles since you're already massively worn don and you have to fight this guy with like four different styles. He was a far better fight than 3's Amon that's for damn sure.

Why Awano? He was the most likeable out of the three lieutenants.

Why did he have to be the one to die instead of Kuze

That claim is unsubstantiated.

youtube.com/watch?v=tYLIIKV5pd8&

I don't know sales but the game's user reviews has the worst score of all games in the franchise in several sites. People were calling out sega saying that they only wanted to make a game with celebrities on it and not a Yakuza game. The combat and the story were harshly criticized (the combat is broken and feels horrible and the story it's just a bunch of drama, characters that serve no purpose and all the actual Yakuza characters except Akiyama and Haruka do not appear in the game).

Why is Majima so sexy?

It's the haircut, he was ahead of his time with that.

are you guys new?

Best track coming through
youtube.com/watch?v=vUYrv601WBw