Rogue-lite

>rogue-lite
>metroidvania
>souls-lite

Can we really not describe games anymore without using shitty buzzwords?

They're not buzzwords. I think they do a good job of describing the game actually.
Roguelike: exactly same style as rogue (down to the turn, grid-based rpg mechanics) e.g. pokemon mystery dungeon

Roguelite: takes only some elements from rogue (like procedural generation or permadeath) e.g. FTL

Soulslite: uses some elements of dark souls (e.g. bonfires, stamina, souls) but doesn't use them all (third person sword and board combat) like this game.

Why are these terms unhelpful OP?

video games shouldn't piggyback ideas like this so much, it's pretty unimaginative

It's actually pretty fucking fun. Maybe stop sperging out about widely-used terms that help classify a genre? Get one of those autism spinners or something, they're supposed to help.

They're too vague and some of them are used incorrectly. I have yet to see a Roguelike that is actually like Rogue.

They're non-descriptors that show no identity or confidence behind the actual product. It means that this faggot saw a bunch of trendy things in other games and cut and paste them in there. It's like calling a 2d puzzle platformer a Mario-lite with Tetris elements.

That sounds like a personal problem. Roguelikes are called Roguelikes for a reason. These are called Roguelites because they aren't exactly like Rogue.

More like can we not make games without using shitty buzzwords. So many things these days use these words as a crutch.

Most design is iterative. FPS used to be called "doomlike". Every new game iterates on previous ideas by adding their own spin to it. What you're seeing is called an emerging genre, not "piggybacking". I think it's awesome, because I love souls games and want to see how other devs build on the idea.

>non-descriptors

No they're not. They are comparison words that mean "This game is similar to this other game". Probably every single game being made today is partially or wholly based on concepts introduced in previous games.

You are just having an autistic shitfit over something trivial.

>video games shouldn't piggyback ideas like this so much

You're a dumbass too

I don't think the world is going to go to such lengths to please your autism, so no.

They actually used to be called doom clones but yeah this

No, they were called Doom clones until people realized that it was stupid to categorize games like that so the term First Person Shooter was created to create a category in which games could be placed. Which worked perfectly fine until people completely lost the ability to create things independently so they just started stapling the names of other, better games onto their hacked together pile of junk as a way of gaining some small sliver of credibility.

>beat'em up
>shoot'em up
>rpg
we never did

Dead Cells is actually pretty good, though.

You replied to me while quoting someone else, that's pretty neat.

>used to be called "doomlike"
the word arrived when Quake came out and people needed a way to differentiate the shooters that used sprites and the ones in "real 3d", it didn't last long since 2D sprites new projects were abandoned pretty much immediately.

>If I say he's having an autistic shitfit no one will notice my own autisctic shitfit

Top lel .I don't care at all what your mongoloid ass calls his autistic indie games. I'm not 14 so I can remember a time when about half the game industry was comprised of "adventure" games. Just because I don't like when developers lazily staple the names of other much better games onto their junk.

No?
Words have to be descriptive. Those words were born out of the necessity to describe something new or unique.

The "buzz" status came after with the missuse of previously stablished words.
Unless you belive those words were born to be memes, at which point surely you could come up with new words impervious to memery OR old words that are as descriptive as those ones.

It is mot metroidvania, though
Nor it has anything in common with Souls as well.

It's a cheap trick pathetic indie devs use ad a free advertisement without any dignity.

Red flags all over.

says you

>some elements of dark souls
>stamina
I remember when Dark Souls revolutionised gaming through the introduction of a regenerating stamina bar.

Yeah he did say it.
Aren't you smart.

So is this basically rogue legacy? Cause rogue legacy is fun as fuck.

Retard

Kinda. Every upgrade you get you (can) keep. You get cells (souls) for killing enemies, and lose them when you die. However, keeping cells lets you upgrade more stuff, making subsequent runs faster.

>Horror
>Comedy
>Sci-fi
Can we really not describe movies anymore without shitty buzzwords

>have to collect certain items to progress through previous areas to new ones
>not metroidvanaia
>kill enemies to get currency to empower your character, dodging, parrying, "bonefire" areas
>not soulslike
wew lad

This. Metroidvania used to describe games that borrowed the exploration and progression elements from Metroid and SotN, where you were encouraged to explore new paths that might open up later after you acquired new skills that changed how you could interact with the environment. Now people throw it on sidescrolling action platformers because they know it's a tag people will throw money at without much thought.

And soulslike seems to mean "third-person action RPG with a stamina bar", which is fucking stupid.

I haven't played the game in OP, I'm just bitching in general.

>>have to collect certain items to progress through previous areas to new ones
>>not metroidvanaia

That's not what metroidvania means. There are a lot of games that require you to collect keys or kill specific bosses to progress. Does not make them metroidvania.

>kill enemies to get currency
not a souls-invented mechanic

>to empower your character
1. not a souls-invented mechanic
2. You never empower your character permanently, only equipment. You can TEMPORARILY, per run, gain some stats increase.

>dodging, parrying
backdash/backstep existed since SoTN

> "bonefire" areas
There is no bonefire, no saving or checkpoints, you always start from beginning.