What are some RPGs that really feel like an adventure?

What are some RPGs that really feel like an adventure?

Dragon's dogma

FFXI

I'm only interested in single-player RPGs.

Grandia
Wild Arms + alter code F

morrowind

second this
I want to conquer distant lands
feel like a king and then worse than a beggar
I want to fly high above the clouds
and burrow deep below

tales of symphonia

Nier if you can handle some edge

Second Life

Yes, this, and climb high icy mountains, walk through thick dark forests and listen to music in taverns.

NWN2 main campaign is a typical adventure.

Yup, Gothic II all the way!

Not an rpg but botw is pretty good at giving you that feeling. Being able to climb anything is a game changer

skyrim

Morrowind is great, but there isn't any sense of urgency, and the world is open to you from the start. It feels like it's a collection of many small adventures until the end.

>baldur.jpg
>it's a dragon age origins screenshot

Yeah, true, but it feels so shallow and lackluster.

HARD MODE: Good Sci-fi RPGs that really feel like an adventure.

urgency is for plebs. it always clashes with gameplay anyway. look how shit Mass Effect 3 was.

Deus Ex

Is joke

OP intentionally misled you by blatantly misasociating one title with what is obviously another

Kids call it trolling, but I remember when it was a art

jrpg.
skies of arcadia
dragon quest 8
grandia 3
final fantasy 9

Mass Effect 1 and 2
KotOR

ME1 and only ME1 from that series

Real Life

It falters when you try to travel the world but the world looks like a corrupted texture wanting to be put out of its misery

Think about it

Final Fantasy XV

This. I don't understand how people think ME2 is even close to as good as it.

Only PC games

I heard secret of mana feels like an adventure
never played it myself, does it hold up (mostly the combat), and is it true?

Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song.

There are many games that you're on an adventure, the game puts you on it, you know where to go, you just go with the flow. I haven't played many that you have to wrest the adventure from the game and stumble about, try to figure out where to go, and find new events through each play through.

because "muh characters."

Take away those missions and the main plot is what? Less than 8 hrs and you're pretty rail roaded by the illusive man.

ME1 had a little more freedom in how to progress with your investigation.

Xenoblade Chronicles

I am not sure RS:MS is exactly an adventure...
It's more like an experience.
A painful.
Horribly, horribly painful.
Charming.
But lord, painful.
Experience.

Dragon's Dogma
Dragon Quest
Dark Souls
Grandia
Ocarina of Time
Dwarf Fortress

being railroaded isn't all bad

You had to adventure in RS:MS, otherwise you'd get nowhere.

>a art
You seem to be well skilled in it, at least

It's not. But the exploration element wasn't there. It was wait for the next plot mission to be handed to you. With the filler loyalty missions the game is really short and doesn't really address the themes and problems from the first.

Rather than a Discover the threat (1) -> learn more and find a way to fight the threat (2) -> take the fight to the threat (3)

We got establish the threat (1) -> soft rest there's a semi related new threat let's deal with that (2) -> oh shit we really didn't do anything for the first threat so scramble to find a way to beat it and then talk to some god babby because nothing really matresses (3)

But the whole story telling convention / story arc tropes were abandoned after 1 so whatever. Each game has its own merits but as a whole the ME story failed to deliver.

As far as exploration goes ME1 does it best because you're not only investigating an unknown threat, but you're also ok the forefront of humanity being the new kids on the block.

2 & 3 solidify humanities place so the exploration isn't there as much. Also there's more of a time pressure to deal with the problems in each game vs the relaxed tempo to 1.

Final Fantasy X
Kingdom Hearts 1
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Maybe that's some childhood bias showing.

Tales of games usually have a good adventure feel to it. Yeah the characters and plots are anime cliche but it has it's moments.

Is there a big mod pack for Dragon Age?

Crimson Gem Saga

Give it a go dude, they recognize the game is dead and they now let you party with literal bots to complete everything.