JRPGs are not RPGs

Anyone else feel this way? They're spreadsheet grinding simulators with anime-esque plots and characters. Take Final Fantasy for example, just because it's turned based does not mean it's an rpg, the series plays out more like a linear adventure game. I'm not trying to say that they aren't good games btw, there's just no japanese equivalent to kotor or fallout

Please provide a formal definition of RPG for us with some of your favorite examples.

Please don't post a video, or refer to your own image.

>there's just no japanese equivalent to kotor or fallout
Dark Souls.

>there's just no japanese equivalent to kotor or fallout
Thank god

but fallout 3 is shit

>RPG
>role playing game
>a game where you play a role
>every game ever made is an RPG

WRPGs are literally trash. i don't know why anyone would play trash like that. JRPGs > WRPGs every single time.

WRPGs are literal role-playing games

JRPGs are literal adventure games

western "adventure games" are literal puzzle games

Japanese "adventure games" are literal choose-your-own-adventure books in video game form

lol

What about xxx?

And why is kotor not a spreadsheet simulator?

Xenoblade X I meant

Bait thread aside, just what is it with Japan and their aversion to character creation? Almost no Japanese games, let alone RPGs, allow you to create the main character. In fact, the only examples I could think of are the more recent ARPGs like Souls and Dragon's Dogma. Coincidentally, they both have western atheistic or are inspired by Western fantasy. Maybe Japan equates character creation to Western RPGs?

>Geralt and Adam Jensen
>blank self insert with no personality

Congratulations, you failed at making a simple strawman image.

There's MonHun too, but it's also an ARPG. Is there a single JRPG with character creation? Not even for the main character, just in general.

I mean do you count xenoblade chronicles x or etrian odyssey?

Does character customization work or are you only looking for character creation at the outset

Neither are JRPGs. Like I said, there's no examples that come to mind that are older than 10 years. Also, you can't really classify EO as "character creation" you can't modify any of the portraits in any way, you just pick one of them.

Virtually every single game has some degree of character customization. Let's restrict the criteria to changing at least the facial structure/shape of the protagonist for it to count.

Why is xenoblade not an rpg?

Anyone got the one of these were the top is Call of Duty and the bottom is Metal Gear?

>bioshock
>rpg
nice meme

There's stuff like Pokemon and all that.

Take your shit meme back to where you got it

>Haseo

Hey thanks

... What are some Western adventure games anyways?

probably all of their mmorpgs have a character creation or force you to do it. its just whether its open world or story driven

Is literally what way is Xenoblade not an RPG?

You can't just do the "it doesnt count because I say so" thing Sup Forums always does. Give a real reason.

>etrian odyssey is just cycling through portraits
So is kotor. Why does that count then?

WRPGs used to be almost solely dungeon crawlers

>complains about JRPGs
>thinks FF is the only JRPG
it's okay, you can stop posting. The adults will handle your thread OP.

You're not entirely wrong.

It's an ARPG, not a JRPG. There's plenty of examples of ARPGs with character creation like Souls, DD, MonHun. I'm looking for a JRPG with character creation, and I can't think of a single one. WRPGs, on the other hand, have plenty of entries both with a set protagonist, and character creations. There's even plenty of inbetween ones that have a canon look for the protagonist, but give you the choice of making your own character (which is in my opinion the best approach).

King's Quest.

>Is there a single JRPG with character creation?
Tales of the World Radiant Mythology

>xenoblade is an arpg
What? How liberally are you using the term arpg?

the idea that wrpgs are "real" rpgs is plain intellectual dishonesty. many popular wrpgs like baldur's gate have linear storylines with only one ending, or alternate endings that only change the last 15 minutes of the game. "roleplaying" is limited to making your character look different and picking from a handful of equally generic dialogue options. the whole argument basically comes down to "games I like are real rpgs."

I can tell it's a Ys game in the RTC area, but which Ys game is that specifically?

I don't really consider monster hunter to be an RPG at all but then again we don't even know what an RPG is.

RPG in its purist sense is collaborative story telling between the player and the DM. A video game can't really do that so the closest thing is just a glorified adventure/puzzle game with some player control

Origins.

Origin

>chrono trigger
>xenoblade
>???
>persona 4

what game

>jrpgs made by asians have protags that look asian
okay?

Thank you.

I suppose including MonHun is stretching it a bit, you're right.

>making
I'm upset at the sheer lack of people who don't know these are old bait images

fucking kek on what website was this image made?

it is stretching it because that is a pure Action game, not even an Action RPG.

>Standing around mobs pressing skill buttons on your WOW hotbar
>ARPG
Are you taking crazy pills?

Just having choice as a main trait is what makes an rpg an rpg to me. Think of pen and paper games. Consequences due to player actions is important for this. I think a real role playing game would have the player be able to choose a type of play style they' like to negotiate through the game. Leveling systems that let the player choose how they want their character to progress rather than give a solid base stat upgrade is what I'm talking about (see the difference better final fantasy 7 and morrowind. I know that's not a very good definition, but the term "role playing game" really needs an update and stronger description.
You're right actually. The souls series is an anomaly though, there's really nothing else like it in both markets.
I've never played xbx, I couldn't tell ya.

>It's an ARPG, not a JRPG
>using "JRPG" as a genre definition
wew lad

>blonde and gray hair and red/blue eyes are asian characteristics
coulda fooled me
this one you fucking newfag cuck

>BBBBBBaldurs gate 2

lmao

how many times will you parrot the same title
is that game WRPGs dogma or something

you should take off your nostalgia goggle anytime soon

>Using Kuja as a protagonist
Play better JRPGs

Fighting over definitions of words is stupid and pointless. People call them RPGs therefore they are RPGs. Words have no innate definition.

Thank God they don make garbage like Kotor when Jedi academy was infinitely better

Video games are not RPGs.

Suikoden 2

Did you think nu-Sup Forums was just a meme?

thanks

>having choice
>consequence
>choose a type of play style
>leveling system progress
These are some highly different and separate situations. If you were to apply them all, then most WRPGs would not be considered RPGs either. If you were to just include one, then a vast number of games otherwise not considered RPGs would apply, and it would be a rather poor description.

Geralt is a Gary Stu and a literal anime self-insertion. He even has white hair.

Yes, which is why they are called JRPGs to signify the difference in design.

Fallout: uhhh, there is a guy u play as and u wander the desert collecting bottle caps

Mass Effect: any decision you make is arbitrary and its a loosely veiled H-game

Bioshock: uhhh, u walk around a underwater aquarium and shoot things

West RPGs? WRONG.

If character generation is what you crave play tabletop games. Video games are not meant to invoke the same level of creativity and immersion, in fact, they are incapable of it.

.t g