Does anyone still subscribe to Game Informer? (warning: RANTY)

...Well, other than my younger semi-noob sister. I just got a look at the latest issue, the big thing of which was 'The 100 Best RPGs of ALL TIME!!!111ELEVEN!''...and as expected, they fucked everything up. I didn't even read the whole thing--just the entries of games I'd actually played--and they got basic fucking information wrong!
Take Vagrant Story, for instance. They credited Yasumi Matsuno with the story, not the music (what he actually did) and credited Hiroshi Minagawa (who had NOTHING to do with VS as far as I know) with the art, when any twit who had actually played the game beyond the first thirty seconds could have told them it was Akihiko Yoshida.
There were plenty of rankings that made no freaking sense (Persona 3 was ranked higher than goddamn Castlevania: Symphony of the Night?! Earthbound is ranked lower than Morrowind?!), they gave Nintendo a tongue bath at every opportunity, Persona 5--which has been out for less than a month--is ranked directly below FF7--which has been out for 20 years, they definitely edited certain pictures for various games, I could go on...
Sorry about this, I just had to get all that off my chest.

Other urls found in this thread:

mobygames.com/game/playstation/vagrant-story/credits
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Rape your sister and correct her ways with the power of dick.

...What if I don't have a dick?

Then use a metaphorical dick to rape her.

bump...

are you a pretty girl

Girl? Yes. Pretty? Nah.

No need to be down on yourself.
fyi your threads getting no attention because people don't care about rants unless they're bait or filled with consolewar stuff

Game Informer is the BEST source for vidya news. Face it. It's from Gamestop and they never screw the consumer. Power to the players!

Nice 100x100 circa 2006 forum avatar.

Do you have a womb?

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Persona 3 shouldn't even be on that list. And just how much higher than SotN did they place that piece of shit?!

Yes it is a bad list. But putting the actual gems in their respective positions at the top would sell less issues. The problem with lists like this is the top 20 would be pretty much be all final fantasy games and golden age isometric rpgs with a few outliers and one offs. Having 15 of your top 20 being decades old jrpgs and ancient pc games won't sell magazines.

That or the writers are all kids that made the list without really playing the classics.

Skyrim being number 1 is down right offensive, and I like Skyrim, but it isn't even the best Elder Scrolls game (I would put Morrowind in the top 10 though).

Don't tell me why Game Informer would like Morrowind--tell me why you like Morrowind. I tried it, and I nearly died from a worm beating my ass because my halberd didn't seem to hit it at all.

SotN was 73, Persona 3 was 48.

bump

Early combat is tough because unlike later games in the series it is an actual rpg. You miss most attacks until you level up your use of that weapon. But because of this you can basically become a God late game. Level up acrobatics enough and you can literally leap over buildings with 1 jump.

Morrowind is a type of game that isn't really made anymore. There is 0 hand holding. You can kill anyone you want, wherever you want, including story/quest reliant npcs, meaning you will not be able to actually beat the game if you do this.

The map is massive and feels very alien and fantasy, unlike the fairly boring worlds of the later games. There is no quest markers, you have to actually listen to dialogue and explore to find where you want to go.

There is no other game that has ever felt so much like I was creating my own personal adventure like Morrowind.

It does feel very dated today, it's an old game now, but if you are willing to power through the early game I think you will love it.

As a side note the writing is outstanding, but I've probably put over 1,000 hours into that game over the years and only bothered completing the main story once. There is a lot to do and discover in that world.

I'm interested, but the idea that you can't hit a damn thing until you level up your use of a weapon seems counterintuitive. If you can't hit anything, how can you level up the use of your weapon? Pardon me for being a bit of a twit if it seems like that to you.

I get it. You level up quickly. Kill a few mudcrabs with a weapon of your choice and you'll start missing a lot less very quickly. You can also start the game with a few points in the weapon of your choice if you know what you want to use. So if you like spears give yourself a couple of points in spears when you build your character. You won't land every hit at the beginning but you can probably land 50%.

I promise you this is a short lived problem. An hour into the game you'll be landing most hits.

What other gaming magazines are out there? We know Game Informer sucks, but are there any trustworthy gaming mags?

I used to be subscribed to them a few years ago. Pic related is what eventually became rainbow six siege IIRC

The only other mags I can remember that aren't Game Infucker are PSM (Playstation Magazine) and Electronic Gaming Monthly.

They are kind of redundant these days. They used to be great to learn about upcoming games. Now I generally know more than what is in an article because all the info is online.

Don't forget stamina's effects on skills

GameInformer hasn't been remotely decent since the GameStop acquisition.

Did I screw myself over by giving my character armor and a halberd? Because I moved like a turtle and my stamina went down really fast.

Make it a major skill. That's really all there is to it. Unless you turned up the difficulty to max you aren't going to have any trouble against Kwama Foragers or other low-level enemies if you're using a weapon you have 20+ skill in.

Most Morrowind skills, including all weapon skills, are designed to be much harder to level up when they're very low by not giving you experience when they fail. If you want to use a skill that isn't a part of your class, then you'll want to pay for training. You can't do that early on since you're poor, so get cash by making use of your strengths to complete quests, charm merchants with illusion magic or persuasion skills, steal valuables with stealth and/or chameleon spells, raid tombs if you're good at combat, dive for pearls if you've got decent athletics or swift swim/water breathing spells, and so on. If you instead decide to use skills you DIDN'T pick for your class and also don't happen to have any supplemental bonuses in them from your race or specialization, then you're going to have an extremely frustrating time early on.

Encumbrance has a major effect in Morrowind. When fully encumbered you move much slower, can barely jump, and lose fatigue more quickly. These can be offset by athletics, acrobatics, and Endurance respectively, but the fact is that if you're using medium/heavy armor then you'll want to have a lot of Strength to support it. Ideally you want to stay below 50% encumbrance, which is why mages and thieves with their characteristically low Strength prefer light or no armor.

Thank you SO much. This helps a lot. I think I'm ready to dive into Morrowind again, this time knowing what the hell I'm doing.

One other thing that helps a lot for first-timers, especially if you don't know yet what kind of weapon you want to use most, is the Warrior birthsign. The game doesn't exactly tell you what that "Fortify Attack 10pts" does, but in effect is the same as having +10 in EVERY weapon skill as far as combat calculations go. It's good both for someone who wants to try lots of different weapons from the start or someone who's trying to min-max their combat potential with one specific weapon. It, along with its defensive counterpart The Thief, is one of the most powerful late-game effects as well since every other similar birthsign that gives you attribute bonuses don't help you anymore once you max out said attributes, while the +10 Attack or Sanctuary from Warrior or Thief stay good forever.

This. Gaming magazines were only good because of their exclusive previews and promotional demos/level CDs, both of which have become almost non-existent today.

>They credited Yasumi Matsuno with the story, not the music (what he actually did)

You're thinking of Hitoshi Sakimoto, friend. Matsuno wrote, produced and directed Vagrant Story.

mobygames.com/game/playstation/vagrant-story/credits

True, true. Why pay for a strategy guide or a magazine subscription when for the price of internet access, you can head to GameFAQs and find three times as much info for free?