its quite bad
some characters have more health
and some characters are really fast
and the netcode means fast characters with bad connections just teleport
but it looks pretty and feels like quake
if you dont use abilities

Download quakespasm and quakeinjector.

Enjoy all the custom maps and mods.

I couldn't even try champions, I got a beta code, downloaded beth's BS launcher, redeemed my code. aaaand nothing. Game never appeared in my library and my code says its been redeemed. guess I'll have to wait for the full release. if it had a paywall I probably wouldn't get it at all but being f2P I'll try it out

quake is one of my favorite games of all time because of the singleplayer

>A new game makes the old one disappear
>A dead game means there's demand for more of it

I enjoyed this most recent beta as visor but the rocket delay needs to be fixed. It's a fun distraction but ultimately needs mods or at least way more maps to survive.

youtube.com/watch?v=02Ikb6B55Qc

>3:00 - 4:40
>"There is no consumer market for old school Quake."
>"If there was a market for Quake-like games, games like Warsow, Reflex Arena, including Quake 3 and Quake Arena would be doing phenomenally well."
>"These PURISTS, as they were, like to brag. They like to complain and wishfully wish for experiences they had 10 to 15 years ago."
>"These sold called PURISTS are nothing but wannabes and showboaters. They're pretending."

Is he right /arena/? Are ""PURISTS"" nothing more than niggers who want to desperately show other people on the internet and new players how long they have been playing Quake and by screaming the loudest it gives them e-peen?

>Are ""PURISTS"" nothing more than niggers who want to desperately show other people on the internet and new players how long they have been playing Quake and by screaming the loudest it gives them e-peen?

Yes.

stop posting this everywhere
if you want to shitpost link the new kotaku article

>Is he right?
Partially. Is true that there isn't a big market for "hardcore" arena shooters. He's wrong about the rest, a scrub and deserves another cancer (this time in the pancreas if we're lucky). Just like you for giving him attention and reposing his always retarded opinions.

pretty much this
also strange he brings up playerbase in niche games like warsow that are more than a decade old and how he separates quake 3 and quake arena

>also strange he brings up playerbase in niche games like warsow that are more than a decade old
Warsow is in no way more niche than quake.

> there isn't big market for "hardcore" arena shooters
kek, you're lucky if there's even a tiny one left.

>more than a decade old
Toxikk came out in 2015 and Reflex in 2014.

So a free indie game in 2005 based on some obscure setting is in no way more niche than Quake 3? Thanks for laying the bait on so thick I can leave the thread early.

Same. Singleplayer FPS level design peaked with Quake.

Nice argument. Warsow has the same gameplay as Quake 3. Every bit as "hardcore" and "oldschool".

>free
>indie
Irrelevant, unless you care about graphics etc. although why would you if you're all about "hardcore oldschool arena shooters".

He sounds like a fucking snooty prick about this.
There hasn't been a game, until Quake Champions, that actually had the ability to gain a new, wide audience for this genre.
And before you say, no, the Incomplete, Sluggishly Developed, Never Marketed Unreal Tournament 4 is not big enough to do that, and it's the developers' fault. You can find a bunch of people who liked Unreal Tournament, but never even knew UT4 existed.
I'm fine with Quake Champion's Champion system, but this guy just wants to be an elitist. Quake Champions isn't getting attention just because of the addition of champions, but because it's a Triple A product that doesn't look like it' still in the alpha stage.
Will still be looking forward to Quake Champions though.

>dedicated consumers and players are vocal and clear about what they want
>that's bad and they're just pretending purists

How can a single man be this much of a snob? He speaks as if he's the godfather of arena shooter when we all know that all he ever plays are blizzard shits tailored for children like him? How can he speak for and dismiss the entire fanbase of Quake when he never cared about it?

>remember how good I was and how much fun I had with quake
>try out one of the hundreds of recent arena shooters trying to copy it
>realize I'm shit now/that kind of basic game just isn't fun anymore
>go back to playing overwatch and complaining about how slow and unlike quake it is

welp

Hopefully quake champions is a middle ground that can keep my attention.

>Is he right
no, he's a hypocrite
the only wannabe or pretender is himself
It's pathetic that people look to him as some kind of authority on PC gaming when he is the biggest pleb of them all

Alright, who is setting up the server?

>Is he right /arena/?
>/arena/
Nice copy and paste.

yes, he is.

if rest failed miserably why he thinks this one going to succeed?

you don't even need to setup a server there are hundreds of public quakeworld servers running 24/7

he does have a point do, there are plenty of recent and very well made games that satisfy the quake 3 thirst, but none of them have a decent player base (except quake live but it's getting smaller by the seconds). If you dont like quake champions changes dont worry you already have your perfect games to play

Quake Live is 10 years old now

>what is warsaw
>what is toxic
>what is reflex
also who fucking cares if it's 10 years old it plays better than most modern games and it isn't offensive to look at.

Quake live as of right now has fucking 326 players on steam, that is a joke.

And this was even before Quake Champions was a thing.

Quake Live gets 800-1000 concurrent players daily.

guess what people are tired of playing quake 3 with a fancy new skin. Only elitists and epeen wanna be pros care about the changes in quake champions

also this

Everytime I look at Steam stats it shows 200-300. It isn't great.

congrats on your anecdotal evidence

34.209.167.17:28501

I think he misses the entire point of why a certain demographic (Singleplayer/mod) likes Quake to begin with.

It's very much a game you can pick up a map maker for it, drop some geometry and entities in a neat fashion, and have a game that plays different than anything else you've played in it. Modern games don't really offer that, everything is kept locked down tight and sold as DLC.

If he wanted to disprove the idea that Quake players are simply talking out their ass, point to DotA2 and other games that offer custom game support.

oh all right, proven wrong, thanks user.

but he did say it's a problem that there is no server browser and no custom game mode. The video was more about shilling quake champions to new players that get influenced by elitists

why is the original Quake so scary still

low poly games are the spoopiest

Because Trent Reznor scored it and there are also his screams in the OST.

Nice.

nobody joined so i left
i'll rejoin if you join

ill join

EVERYONE GET ON

34.209.167.17:28501

come join niggers its quakeworld