Why are computers dying?

Why are computers dying?

Because multiple people have computers or a tablet.
More people are making their own PC as well.

Pretty much this. Although I sorta doubt that people building their own PCs would have a big impact.

Also

Too expensive for what the gaming market is releasing.
Nobody wants to drop 3k on 3 nvidia titans since no games even take advantage of them, most PC games are console ports therefor inferior.

The answer is right there in your image.

people would rather buy a new tablet and phone every year.

also, portable computing was always desirable among casuals.

cuz smartphones, which are basically computers aswell

normies don't change their machine until it literally stop working. so now that like 95% of each house has a machine nobody gets a new one even if the current one takes 2 hours to boot and can't run minecraft.

Most people already have PC's and its good enough to play LoL and CSGO they don't need another one.

Because they're harder to use than an idiot-proof phone / tablet which stops you from meaningfully changing any settings or having any real power so that you can't fuck it up. Your average user wants something which works within very narrow constraints but can't be fucked up than something which offers their user real power.

PC gaming is bigger than it has ever been, but that's always been a niche.

t. I work in IT and regularly deal with "normal people" who use computers for stuff. I'm kinda glad they use their tablets for everything because then I don't have to fix their computers after they tried to fix things themselves and found themselves balls deep in shit they didn't understand and made the problem worse.

>smartphones, which are basically computers
Dude no, a smartphones doesn't provide anything a computer can do. Like actually generating content.

cpus got smaller and more efficient. eventually for non gaming, general office use, computers will essentially be a big ass tablet than you plug a keyboard and mouse into and a variety of other small iot devices.

these articles showing declining shipments are from oems like dell and hp who have pivoted more towards tablets recently and away from "tower and monitor" setups. enthusiasts and "gamers" assemble their own pcs and that doesn't count towards overall shipments that these articles mention.

The low end $350 Dell/HP shitbox with a shit CPU and no GPU that not normies buy to "browse the webm is dying because smartphones and because old computers can do that fine so there is no need to upgrade your Facebook machine every 3 years. The gaming PC market is as strong as its ever been.

PCs last for years, you dont buy one annually

>Nobody wants to drop 3k on 3 nvidia titans since no games even take advantage of them
That's where you're wrong family.
PC sales have been in a slump, but AIB (graphics card) sales are through the fucking roof.
And notably non-OEM AIB sales, OEMs are basically irrelevant outside of laptops and they're fucked if anyone ever manages to make a tablet that's not either fucking trash or horribly expensive.

>Dude no, a smartphones doesn't provide anything a computer can do. Like actually generating content.
Most computer users don't generate content beyond emails and facebook posts.

People don't buy computers anymore, they buy computer parts.

everyone already have a decent computer. I think the problem here is Intel is intentionally being slow on improvements and keeping chip prices incredibly high giving people a reason not to upgrade. The only people who need new computers are actual people working in tech.

>>Sup Forums
MODS MODS MODS

because more and more people are becoming more informed that buying premade PCs is fucking braindead retarded, and you don't need a laptop when you have a smartphone.

normies can get along just fine with smartphones and tablets.

it's good for us in a way and bad for us in a way.

Normies only care about phones and wont stay inside to type on a keyboard.
Normies dont like carrying Laptops except for maybe college.
PC fags build their own.

Now only offices, and boomers who want to use 'The google" and "The facebook" buy PC's and laptops.

pre built pc sales, yes

pc parts bought for pc building have seen the highest profit of all time

also ITS GETTING HOT

>muh market growth

You are still making millions hand over fist faggots i hate this crocodile tears bullshit. Computers are fast enough these days that you dont have to upgrade them as often, thats a good thing and this isnt news.

You know that most people in the nineties and 2000's most people used their computer for stupid shit. Chatrooms, myspace, and what ever predated that I don't know shit about social media. Now that their phones allow them to stalk their friends from any where there is no need for most of them to even own a computer.

>why are laptops dying?
because they all ship with windows 10 on them and are completely unusable

>50c gpu idle at desktop
>42c hdds

damn son where you at?

>Gaming GPUs make more money in a single quarter than OEMs do in over 2 and a half years
Kek

>Article is in reference to laptops and pre-built desktops
>PC gaymin is dying

Get fucked you dolt!!

stop using electricity

arizona

Windows 8 was released five years ago

>games workshop bag in the background
stop playing with little plastic dolls

w10 is shit so people stopped updating and macs hardly change

How do they quantify a "PC sale"?

Unless you're just buying a cheap computer for work or something of a similar nature you rarely have to buy an entire new prebuilt computer outside of replacing a broken one.
If you factor in the people that build high end computers either for gaming or the kind of work that would need a more powerful computer like rendering shit or processing loads of data often times you can just swap out parts if what you've got doesn't satisfy your requirements which might put down the numbers for computer product sales. Not that those numbers would be simple to quantify either, but often times this kinda shit has really lazy data collection behind it you can't just glean from a title and opening blurb.

most boomers I know already switched to mobile for google and facebook

>Prebuilts are dying
>While individual parts are skyrocketing, specially GPUs

Excelent news.
Also they are not consoles, it's not neccesary to buy an entirely new one every couple years.

Nothing to see here, only turboautists would consider this something even remotely close to the PC Master Race Gaming dying.

Because pre builds are for normies and they now prefer shit like tablets most people that want a pc for gaming built it "gaming laptops" is a dead meme

html and "the web" is dying too. mobile is all apps.

The prebuilts really are doomed.

please post your wallpaper

Tablets will never not be shit, and the ones that aren't are basically just laptops with detachable screens or pull-out keyboards.
They're not exceptionally more portable than a laptop (like a phone) and they're not as good for actual productivity as a laptop, so they end up being pretty much useless.
A laptop with a touchscreen is infinitely superior to a similarly-sized tablet.

>can't generate content
>Snapchat, Facebook Live, Twitter, mobile apps for quick video editing and effects
It works for the low-end mass market just fine.

Because OS's are becoming Orwellian shit shows and hardware has hit a plateau of usefulness for normies meaning they have no real incentive to upgrade their own systems.

Console converts fell for the Master Race meme and so even PC devs were reduced to making the equivalent of console trash.

my dick needs this wallpaper for megumin

Mobile phones and tablets. The campaign to kill handhelds also has an effect on computers.

wtf I like Varg now. I still won't give up my faith though. But I agree with majority of what he says.

Because phones are half the price.

>Co-worker asks me "hey user you're good with computers can you take a look at my computer, it's really slow"
>it's some bargin bin laptop from 2002 running Windows XP that gets the CPU pegged at 100% usage opening a web page

It really isn't. That "mobile is all apps" thing you mentioned is an incredibly poor argument when many of those are just regular webpages in a different wrapper.

Backup, reformat, reinstall. That'll fix it

wow man thats really cool that you got a boner how about looking for it yourself

It took me 30 seconds to find the sauce on that and I didn't even use image search.
Do you niggers not know what sankakucomplex is?

A fresh install isn't going to make a really old CPU like that preform any better. Webpages have gotten lots of javascript and such put into them over the years bloating the shit out of them. A very old CPU will struggle to run all the bloated shit on a modern day facebook feed.

This
I haven't used my PC in months, I just use my phone or tablet.
Currently browsing Sup Forums on my SmartTV

people who were buying laptops and computers for facebook are now just buying phones and tablets

Because everyone already has a computer, they don't account for upgrading parts. This also includes custom build computers which are also not part of the statistics.

So really the article is saying "People are not buying pre-built computers".

Cause Macs are shit and Microsoft is trying to turn Windows into an even more retarded version of Mac.

Fuck off Sup Forums !

And when every device is super, heh heh... none of them will be.

I'm pretty sure this is just counting prebuilt computers.

Because I buy used laptops, just got a fucking hell of a deal on a Dell xps 15

because people released the only computing device they really need is a smartphone. that and the fact that even the oldest of computers can run a browser comfortably (again, browsing being the only computing application the majority of people care about)

not to mention the gpu acceleration in basically every web browser

"A computer in every home,'

Only so many homes, Jim

This is stupid. Most people don't have a use for a computer that is more than $150 and will buy them on craigslist or keep their old ones and the people who do buy computers no longer buy them premade because it's much more inexpensive and a fairly simple procedure to pick your own parts.

It is excessively disappointing what Microsoft has done to Windows and really instills this deep sullen depression when I think about it.

My two main computers are still Windows XP

most people upgrade every 3 or 5 years

When it comes to the market for things that do what PCs do, the majority of the market is either:

-Ultra-casual/cheap, and thus are only interested in either Android/iOS tablets or very low-end Windows PCs

-Macfags

-Hardcore enthusiast, in which case you're most likely going to want to build your own machine out of parts rather than getting something pre-built.

>buying prebuilt pcs

hmmm

Thread summed it up pretty nicely. The only reason that people have to spend a lot on new computers is usually if they're gaming enthusiasts or if they need it for work, which tends to be a very small market because the mass majority of consumers just use their PCs to browse facebook and maybe type a couple things up.

You don't need a $1,000 laptop to browse and shitpost on the Internet. That obviously doesn't stop people, but it doesn't help that many companies lately (especially Apple, as usual), seem intent on making their new and decent laptops so far out of reach price wise for the average consumer (1300-1500 dollars) that most people are comfortable using their old PCs until they absolutely need a new one.

And even then, a tablet is more than enough for most people as well. I bought my mother an iPad for Mother's Day a few years back and its all she ever uses. She has no need for a laptop. Most consumers are like that.

Because for the average normie a phone or tablet now satisfy all of the needs that only a PC could in the 2000s. Plus it's highly portable.

>all the fags in this thread acting like most people are building their own PC's and even upgrading parts instead of just buying a new one or using their fucking phone/tablet

Some of you will defend such delusion

Because no one will pay $200 extra for a PC when you can build it yourself with parts of better quality and cheaper.

Oh yeah user, regular people are For sure just building their own Pcs, its not smartphones and tablets at all.

Huge install market.
There hasn't been a technological lap significant enough in the last decade
Smartphones and """""intelligent""""" tvs

hey hey someone else with a 4790k

>Running XP instead of Linux
Looks like you're retarded too.

Megumeme has a huge booty for a minmaxing glasscanon

Min breasts Max ass.

Businesses don't need top of the line computers to do what they do, a shit ton of them are reusing the same PC they've used for years and years because its only function is to open a sales program.

A gaming PC that can keep up with modern games is too expensive.

There's no need to upgrade your computer anymore unless you're doing niche things.

This is about pre-built computers, which more and more people are realizing is are the worst fucking things ever thought of.

More people are becoming more tech-savvy, making their own computers, at least I believe, I admittedly have no real evidence to back this up, but it seems logical.

This isn't happening because mobile or consoles are doing especially well or anything, this is just pre-builts being realized for the worst possible shit that they are.

desu i pretty much stopped using any of my laptops ever since I got a smartphone and especially after I got an android tablet, I only use a desktop PC in work nowadays

I always was a handheldfag though so the switch came naturally to me

Stagnating growth. There's not much you can do with a computer from today that you can't do with a decent computer from 5 years ago.

Software used to push and drive the hardware, but there isn't as much demand anymore. Even for gaming, not many titles are made to push computer hardware anymore.

>Even for gaming, not many titles are made to push computer hardware anymore.

That's because so many AAA games these days are made for console too, so basically they went backward in fidelity back to the early 2000s in order to support shit hardware.

Because people are building there own PCs. People that would buy prebuilt are buying tablets.

Seriously. the majority of prebuilt pc sales are for email and web machines. People have all that on their phones now. They may get a tablet too for at home browsing, but their needs are met with mobile devices now.

lack of significant performance increase leads to stagnation of sales because all of a sudden there's no fucking reason to upgrade ever

this is my current set up, the only new thing i have is a 1070, and with that, it seems like i'll be surviving another 3-4 years of pc play because every new AAA graphics monster game is a waste of fucking space, and anything worth playing is either 2d or has less emphasis on graphics and compensates with, whoda thunk it, fun gameplay

Hell, even tablets make little sense with smartphones being somewhat larger now than they used to be. That or there are phones that are meant to be a tablet-phone hybrid, so that defeats the purpose of a tablet altogether.

Bless you for bringing that wallpaper to my attention.

>270m units
I am shocked it is that low. Let's consider only half of those are being used to game on (very conservative estimate) and you have 135m or less "gaming" computers. Add another 50m self-built rigs for gaming (again, very conservative) and the PC gaming market is less than 200m. Still a good deal more than consoles, but the argument that devs should focus a majority of their optimization budget on high-end PC is getting weaker and weaker every year.

Selling a Celeron build for the price of a i3 build with a shitty tier PSU and horrible cooling for planned obsolesce is not a great idea.

meh

This is so wrong.

In another 2 - 5 years the processor inside of a smartphone is going a head to head with desktop...

They are smartphones now with graphics better than most laptops.

This has nothing to do with gaming

>don't need to replace the entire PC to upgrade
>lmaaao look PC sales are going down PC es ded xddx

Competition from phones and tablets.
I thought it was obvious.

I wouldn't say it's dying though, the home computer will never go away, just become more niche.

my phone does everything these days. and my laptop from 2011 still holds up