Is it a meme?

Is it a meme?

A whole lot better than 4k where you have to fork out an arm and a leg just to get occasional dips below 60 fps.

pretty much, it's not following "the media" standards so support for it isn't great
worry about refresh rate first

Why worry about refresh if I can't go above 80-90fps on newest games

>is X a meme?
getting real tired of this shit

I play at 1440p IPS with a 3gb videocard, its OK, but it doesnt beat playing on my 1080 60 inch TN TV

even with the almost 1 sec input lag, somehow everything looks way better on the TV than in the monitor idk why, also 1440p somehow makes textures look worse,

>1sec delay

do you only play turn based games or something?

It's more feasible to do 1440p 60 fps. I do it with a 1070 just fine.
The problem is that 1440p monitors are less common and not much less expensive than 4k monitors, at least the IPS monitors.
It does look good though.

my TV is connected to my PC using a 15m HDMI cable

That has nothing to do with it. The TV does additional image processing that makes the image look better but adds lag.

i'm just asking how can that delay be bearable for you
i dont even get that much delay over steam link

assuming you have the hardware for it, yeah

got a 1440p monitor, ips panel, 4ms response, 144hz. a solid investment

got a gtx 1070, 8 gigs of vram, plenty strong for 60fps pretty much at all times on high settings (not usually ultra)

the downsides are that some games just dont support above 1080p, usually ports from consoles, but i don't run in to the problem that often, most modern games can go up to 2560 x 1440, which is still 16:9

then of course the textures thing, when you scale up your resolution 50% from 1080p, textures that were made to look good enough for 1080p look like jagged crap. but once again i rarely see this problem, and sometimes there are mods or texture updates from the developer to install anyway, usually up to 4k resolution support anyway.

i definitely think 1440p is the future of pc gaming for the next year or so. its going to take some more time for cpus and gpus to bring more horsepower at a more affordable price for 4k tvs and monitors.

definitely keep an eye out for sales and deals on a decent 1440p monitor. at least 60hz, AT MOST 5ms response time or lower, and double check ports, vga doesn't go up to 1440p at 60hz, so its going to be digital, so HDMI, DisplayPort, and DVI. luxury specs are like IPS, HDR, and Gsync / free sync. Get em if you can, IPS looks so much better than TN imo, but a luxury for most prices, and HDR as well. gsync you usually have to pay alittle extra for but its awesome, and nvidia video cards only. Freesync is the same but usually doesn't have the extra price tag, and is AMD video cards only so far.

it doesnt really matter you get used to it after 10 seconds but its there and still MY POINT is that the TV looks better than the 1440p

I have my eye on Dell U2515H, and I was wondering whether to get that or ViewSonic XG2401, which is 1080p144fps freesync

I have a U2515h. The picture quality is great, very good color accuracy/gamma/color temperature. It came with one stuck pixel however.

I'm worried about the size, isn't 25 too small for 1440p? Most are 27'

At 100% scaling (I.E. no scaling) it's a bit small if you're more than 3 feet away or so, but I think it's fine. Higher pixel density at 25" looks better too.

-t 'fellow gamer'

1440p is a meme, purely cause full blown HDR is essentially 4K only. HDR is way better than another resolution jump. Pic related, even a 3 year old game not designed with HDR in mind looks better than modern AAA maxed out on PC thanks to HDR.

Panel quality > Refresh rate > Resolution

HDR isn't widely supported yet and the monitors that have it are outrageously expensive.

True. But why waste money jumping to 1440p at this stage. You may's well stick to 1080p, then jump to 4K+HDR after you've saved more/the price falls.

I don't necessarily disagree, but "waiting" in the tech world just results in something better being out when you finally decide to buy, and you feel like waiting again, repeat.
I'm very glad I upgraded from 1080p to 1440p for the panel quality alone.

it's mostly marketing
more screen real estate is nice though

is 1440 wiht no AA better than 1080p with AA?

at 1440p aa is not needed

psh not running 8k

no, its a big step up from 1080p if you sit close to the monitor

why did we have to jump to 4k from 1080p

everything would have been better off at 2k first

I'll take higher refresh rate over higher resolution every time.

>not 1440p 165hz

pleb

>not 240hz

Power, lighting and panels needed for 1440p also support 4k for TVs. TVs are the main market, not monitors. The only exception to that rule being the 8bit/10bit variants needed for HDR/FRC. But essentially making a 1440p TV, is making a 4k TV.

because 4k compared to 1080P IS 2k but they just changed what they call it to trick people like you who just look at the marketing title

its like if you called 1080P 2k because its 1920 on the large edge

4k IS 2k

"1080p" is 1920x1080

"4k" is 3840x2160

Marketing just decided to use the first number all of a sudden and also round it up.

What's a good 1440p monitor? I've been looking for one but I'm not sure what ones are actually good because nobody ever talks about them.

>playing game at 1080p 55 FPS
>try 1440p 59 FPS

Dell S2417DG or the 27" once. I prefer 24" for gaming

ACER predator xtreme

Are you asking if it's worth it?
Just get a 1080p setup and save some money, imo
Wait 3 or 4 years for 4K to be cheaper and more supported once new consoles come out.

144hz monitors? That's the stuff you wanna be interested in.

wouldnt surprise me if the next popular size comes out at 5760*3240 and they just flat out multiply it and market it as 19Mp for 19 megapixels

If your TV has a 'game mode' its should be able to turn most of that off and reduce the delay

True 4K is 4096 × 2160 but it's only used by kinofags (film makers) because it's a weird resolution.

3840x2160 is 16:9 and as close as you can get to 4K without using absolute madman aspect ratio. Marketing people call it 4K because the alternative is "ultra HD" and then you have to keep inventing new stupid names for higher resolutions.

>full blown HDR is essentially 4K only
HDR is completely independent from resolution

>Marketing people call it 4K because the alternative is "ultra HD" and then you have to keep inventing new stupid names for higher resolutions.

you can just stick to the accepted standards and call it '2160P' or even drop the progressive scan portion altogether now

the hd, full hd, ultra hd shit was always retarded
especially calling 1920x1080 'full HD' when larger resolutions were not uncommon at the same time
are they supposed to be fuller than full?

if they had never called it 'full hd' in the first place then they wouldnt have to worry about 'ultra hd' sounding like it had 'less hd' than 'full hd'

Its for impatientfags who can't wait for 4k to go mainstream. Plus I dont wanna be stuck at some retard resolution that doesn't scale 1080p content correctly.

literally no reason to play above 1920x1080 at 120hz

prove me wrong

>support
What did he mean by this?

Is 3D a meme?

Yes

Hence why i said essentially 4K. Because right now only Sony have said they'll be making 1080p HDR sets. Not that it matters, since Amazon and Netflix have gone on record saying HDR is 4K only for them. A belief Im willing to bet stays that way.

>HDR is completely independent from resolution
4k and hdr are tied together regardless. Find me anyone who is supporting hdr free from 4k. I bet you cant.

1920x 1080 at 144hz

>Refresh rate
Kill yourself, RN:GO and/or ASSFAGGOTS playing subhuman. There is absolutely no reason to prioritize refresh rate over resolution unless you're playing those """""""""""""""""""games"""""""""""""""""""".

I got a 1440p/165hz monitor last month, and I'm pretty happy with it. The jump from 1080p to 1440p is pretty much the same as the jump from 720p to 1080p. So not exactly a massive difference, but everything is sharper and nicer looking. But if you're gonna make the jump to 1440p, you might as well get a monitor with g-sync or freesync. It's worth the extra money.

After playing at 120+ fps, it's hard to go back to 60. It looks like a choppy cinematic experience.

doesnt gsync and free sync add input delay?

Dead Rising at 120fps was pretty dank. As long as you dont limit yourself to bad japanese ports then you can get good use out of it.

>It's worth the extra money
No it isn't. Not unless you're consistently getting fps lower than your monitor's refresh rate. Then it's great, but that's its only use.

panel makers need your money for uh... they have kids to feed man

I want 21:9 to be the future!

but movies are shit these days, devs rarely support it(even if they do, cutscenes will not) and all anime is 16:9
enjoy those pillar boxes

The "correct" term for TVs with both 4K + HDR is called UHD premium, sony is the only company pushing "4K HDR" as their own branding, but yeah, you won't find hdr in other panels at least until samsung and dell release their new monitors

this plus HDR and IPS... god damm why dont they just make it ffs

It is. 3440x1440 is infinitely superior to 4k and 16:9. I'm waiting on an HDR 4k ultrawide before I upgrade. Being able to watch movies closer to their native resolutions is also kinda huge.

Of course it does. G-sync and Freesync is only really useful for people who have cards that chug alot during gameplay. If you run the game perfectly you would never ever want to touch them.

nope. absolutely any game has a noticeable diff with a high refresh rate. 1440p might be a name but 144hz absolutely isnt

>Being able to watch movies closer to their native resolutions is also kinda huge.
You don't think directors the world over know most peoples screens are 16:9?
They frame the principal action in the center for a reason, its like 25% at most you're losing if its panned and scanned, and nothing if its letterboxed

>He thinks he can run modern games in 1440p ultra and get 144fps
>He thinks it's a real benefit outside of twitchy shit and assfaggots
How's that 72fps lock working for you?

The better question: Is SLI a meme now?

let me know if I'm understanding it wrong, but wouldnt using g-sync on a 120hz minotaur essentially allow the benefits of vsync while 'uncapping' from 60fps?
so you might even get 73, 92 fps etc.

why do you say its only worth it if you're getting lower?

I was playing Rising Storm 2 beta at ultra settings, 1440p 100+ FPS. Like I'm really in Nam.

Given how it doesn't work with everything? It might as well be

What are you talking about?

No seriously your point genuinely confuses me. I've been watching movies filmed back in 2006 in 21:9 and it is superior. Everything you just said as criticism comes off as gibberish to me. The center of action is still the center regardless of resolution.

Because 60 is placebo or meme in most cases. G-Sync makes

yes

devs cant be fucked

then why attack g-sync and not the 165hz?

>tfw never ever bothered by screen tearing
>tfw always capped FPS to monitors refresh rate

G-Sync is a $200 premium because of the green Jew while being useless in most cases.
165Hz is meme shit that demands a premium too, but has more usecases, is "nice" in the same way those super bright headlights are, and isn't nearly as expensive.

>60 is placebo or meme in most cases
Why do you feel you have the authority to comment on things you've never experienced?

I've been gaming at 1080p for the past 5 years, had a shitty CRT before that. I haven't felt the need to upgrade from 1080p to 1440p.

High refresh rates make tearing difficult to notice, so I never touch v-sync unless a game has a 60fps cap that tears like a motherfucker.

>try to run SOTE
>runs at 2000 FPS

You're right about the 120hz but why stop at 1080?

>B-BUT YOU'VE NEVER U-USED IT! HOW WOULD Y-YOU KNOW?!
I have used a 144Hz monitor, and I sold it to some moron who fell for the meme too. It is a meme and should be the last thing you look for on a monitor unless you're an assfaggots playing subhuman. Panel quality > Resolution > Refresh Rate.

theres no reason to atm. may as well go to 4k

>I've used it but I sold it!
Sure faggot. Just like I'm a millionaire but gave it away to charity.

Your claim is completely implausible to anyone reading. Mine is not, unless you're the person I'm arguing with because it's more convenient to dismiss someone than to actually address them.

>tfw gpu so shit I can barely 30fps on all low in 720p for newer games

Your claim is complete bullshit. I have a 60 hz monitor sitting next to my 144hz monitor. Daily I have to deal with how frustrating it is that the refresh rates aren't the same.
>More convenient to dismiss someone than to actually address them
You don't entertain the equivalent of tinfoil hat retards. Here's your last (You). I certainly won't give you any more, you obnoxious child.

Those are some spicy opinions. Between a high refresh 1080p vs 1440p assuming panels are similiar quality, you would definitely appreciate the higher refresh rate more. You can plug your ears all you want but games other than moba/csgo can be played at higher refresh.

>I have two different refresh rate monitors next to each other
Opinion discarded then. Mismatched refresh rates will cause that frustration regardless.
>I don't like your opinion so you're a child
Top fucking kek.

Which meme should I fall for?
>4k
>144hz
>ultrawide

>You would definitely appreciate the higher refresh rate more
Sure, in the same way that I appreciate the new headlights I put in my car because they're very bright and make people angry, but I wouldn't really care if they were normal headlights either. Except when I'm in an area where there are no street lamps or any other lighting. Then I really appreciate the new headlights.

Same thing applies here, where assfaggots and rn:go are the super dark area.

144hz

nigga even playing GTA V at 120fps is amazing

144Hz

4K and ultrawide aren't worth investing in yet, but soon.

Your analogy would imply that playing dragons dogma at 120fps is about as good as pissing people off with headlights. Can't agree.

visuals > muh framerate

DD is a shitty offline MMO. I seriously hope you don't think 120fps makes that better.