Tactical RPG reccomendations

I'm looking for any good Tactical fantasys RPGs that I might have missed.
Anything that can be emulated or played on a crappy PC, ps4 or 3ds.

Played Tactics Ogre and FFTs and Disgaeas and the older Fire Emblems.

Been replaying SNES Tactics Ogre but it's really making me want to try something else, played that one a lot over the years.

Kinda interested in the recent fire emblems but not sure where to start, if anyone can recommend a best of the recent ones.

If there's any PC games I've over looked help me out.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XsOace_OZJA
matthew-trs.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>If there's any PC games I've over looked help me out.

Jagged Alliance and X-Com? Fallout too I suppose. Though if you're looking for srpgs on the pc that play like FFT and whatnot, you're out of luck.

Der Langrisser

Might I suggest Skyrim?

Shining Force

was just looking at this!
only fantasy, though I did like front mission 3

Tactics ogre is nice until you realize that archers curbstomp this fucking game.

It's great and one of the few japanese games to actually do branching right
You can even kill your waifu in your quest for power

Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Langrisser series
Growlanser series
Shining Force series
Dark Wizard
Wild Arms XF
Brigandine
Faselei!
Arc the Lad series
Vandal Hearts
Wachenroder
Vixen 357
Monstania
Vantage Master/V2
TearRing Saga
Berwick Saga
Devil Survivor 1-2
Majin Tensei series
Blazing Heroes/Riglord Saga 1-2

Fates Conquest is the only DS/3DS FE that isn't complete garbage.

Yeah I try to limit my self to 2 archers..... but then there's those battle where you realize the easy way out is just to put bows on everyone anyways.

Thanks for the list!
Knight of lodis is great!
Thanks !

go try Bahamut Lagoon on the SNES

Hoshigami Ruining Blue Earth

good luck

Battle For Wesnoth will be your new favourite game, trust me.

other good fantasy TRPGs include:

Langrisser series: Der Langrisser, II, IV, V
Growlanser doesn't really count as a TRPG but GLII and GLIV are amazing
Fire Emblem series (plus tearring saga), especially 5
Tactics Ogre LUCT

Yggdra Union and the valkyrie profile DS game are quite unique and worth playing

Shining Force is okay, SFII isn't very good though

I don't recommend disgaea FFTA, luminous arc, or bahamut lagoon

If you don't need it to be fantasy check out the Front Mission series (except 3) and the SMT devil survivor games.

The Banner Saga

You may as well tell him to play Natural Doctrine too.

And Eternal Poison.

>Kinda interested in the recent fire emblems but not sure where to start, if anyone can recommend a best of the recent ones.
Shadow dragon: remake of the first game in the series. Makes some improvements but also adds some things that make the game worse. Not much writing and it's rather simple but it's a nice story. Overall subpar but not terrible.
New mystery of the emblem: again, remake of FE3 part 2. Makes some improvements and also makes some bad additions. Overall a decent game with some memorable maps. It's a sequel to Shadow Dragon so play that first.
Awakening: Terrible gameplay, terrible maps, terrible writing. But you can pair up all your units to customize your army and that holds a lot of appeal to some people.
Fates/Birthright: Gameplay mechanics are improved from Awakening but the maps are terrible in this game as well. Writing is even worse than Awakening. Similar appeal to Awakening I guess.
Fates/Conquest: Great gameplay, fantastic maps. It's a very fun game to play and I highly recommend it despite having the worst writing in the series.
Fates/Revelation: awful maps and awful writing. More characters than birthright so if you really like training an army then I guess you might like this.

Why, are these games bad?

By the way has anyone played Gungnir (PSP)?

My favourite SRPGs are FFTA, Fire Emblem 9 and 10, and Devil Survivor.

Eternal Poison is heavily narrative based, with no random/free battles between story battles. So if you fuck up with leveling and training your characters, you pretty much have no choice but to start over from the beginning.

I'll second devil survivor 1 and 2. Fantastic games, but make sure you play the final editions, Overclocked and Record Breaker respectively.

They're horribly balanced, brutally unforgiving games. Hoshigami is full of interesting gameplay mechanics that fly out the window when you realize that mastering them won't stop the AI from simply bruteforce cockslapping you if you don't grind, which is something a good srpg should never require. Eternal Poison is another interesting wasted potential game that assumes you've already played it before you've ever played it, and you can actually end up incapable of beating ot if you bud your team wrong.

That doesn't sound very intimidating because I can't think of a single TRPG where I used random/free battles to level and train my characters.

What would you think about an SRPG/TRPG that made creating 'rules' of combat (a la the Law cards in FFTA) a more central part of gameplay that the player controlled?

And later expanded to include turn order manipulation and physical map manipulation

DeSu 2 Record Breaker offers nothing that can't be found on the original ds version. Well, it has a couple of good music tracks. don't know about the first one.

Would you count Mordheim as a Tactical RPG? If so, how is it?

>Suggesting the shitty SNES version over the godly Genesis version

Front Mission for the DS is pretty good but a bit repetitive.

Hoshigami for the PS1 is worth a look

Also check out Ring of Red for the ps2

Heroes of Might and Magic
Kings Bounty
Xenonauts

Casuals prefer it for muh story. And then posers parrot it because they think it's what you're supposed to say to be a cool srpg kid in the know. Makes it a perfect Sup Forumscore game.

Tactical, fantasy, RPG.

Legends of Eisenwald if you never played it before.
Renowned Explorers is amazing.
Divinity OS is very good.
A classic: Temple of Elemental Evil

Is the english translation of the genesis version alright? No broken chains of text or gibberish?

Stella Deus is a good PS2 game, also available on PS3 PSN.

>only Light Path
into the trash it goes

That's because most srpgs balance available story exp to roster size properly. Eternal Poison doesn't. Level the wrong characters or waste exp on too many Majins (monsters you can recruit) and you're fucked.

You could give the banner saga games a try. I really liked the 1st one.

I'm surprised so many people prefer the mega drive version. I know that version has slightly different maps than the later releases, are the revised maps easier / less tactical or something like that? Could someone explain in depth why the gameplay is better in the mega drive version?
I'd expect most people to prefer Der Langrisser because it has character creating, multiple routes, and overall better writing so it should be more engaging and have a lot more replay value.

Shining Force III
youtube.com/watch?v=XsOace_OZJA

An entire new arc and a new ultimate boss battle, more demons, improved graphics.

Why does it say Episode 7 when it was the second game released? Did the first game comprise episodes 1 - 6?

>are the revised maps easier / less tactical

Yes and yes. The unit balance is also worse and Der is more piss easy/less tactical in general. The music is also better in the MD version if we're counting things that don't matter anywhere near as much as gameplay to real srpg fans (like better plot).

So are you forgetting the new arc doesn't exist or what

They were probably doing what Star Wars did.

The first game (MotBQ) is 5, the second game (LUCT) is 7, the third game (PoLC) is 6, the fourth (Gaiden) and fifth (KoL) games aren't chapters, chapters 1-4 don't exist, chapter 8 was rumored to have been written.

Mordheim: City of the Damned is bretty good

Gungnir is ok but nothing special like a lot of the PSP srpgs. About a 7/10. Probably the least interesting Dept. Heaven game. Riviera isn't an srpg but it's pretty fun. Yggdra Union I would say is a bit better srpg than Gungnir. Knights in the Nightmare is probably the most unique and fun game in the series. It has some srpg elements bit I wouldn't really call it one, it has a crazy mishmash of elements you pretty much need to experience to appreciate.

Wild Arms XF, Jeanne D'Arc, Ragnarok Tactics, Stella Deus, Tears to Tiara II.

unless unsung story actually finally comes out

Good fucking luck with that. Its dead, Jim.

Not an SRPG, but the last Advance Wars is pretty good. No multiplayer though.

Is there an English translation of Berwick Saga yet? FE is my favorite franchise, and I loved TRS but I don't even know if I can play Berwick Saga.

Battle Brothers

The last advance wars was great.
>No multiplayer though.
What? I played a ton of multiplayer, both online and local.

It's in progress but a very, very, very long way from being done.
matthew-trs.tumblr.com/

And as far as I know nobody is even thinking about working on Vestaria Saga.

Gorgeous competitive tactics game 'Duelyst' is out today
It's like 'Hearthstone' and 'Final Fantasy Tactics' had a beautiful baby.
-Engadget 4.27.16

I play it regularly, it scratches that itch for tactics game ala FFT; if you can stomach the rng, it really delivers.

Does "Masquerada: Songs and Shadow" count as fantasy for you?

Atlas Reactor and ZHP: Unlosing Ranger

the XCOM series is pretty good, old and new games, there also also mods for all the games that improve (depending on who you ask) things

theres also Chroma Squad, a bit barebones but a nice concept, same with the Banner Saga, tough the Banner Saga has a lil bit more meat on it, Wasteland 2 is also decent but very rough around the edges

Silent Storm is real nice if you can stomach the HORRID voice acting, its rough around the edges but good fun

the Age of Wonders series is nice too, it mixes questing and tactical battles with X4 mechanics and its all real nice, skirmish is a blast, i literally have not played the main campaign of the original games, ever, custom scenarios are available too

Disgaea 1 and 2 are available on steam and so is Phantom Brave, tried the demo for PB, it was great

and if you are in the mood for some Real Time Tactical Battles, theres Dawn of War 2's campaign and Freedom Force

i also heard good things about Satellite Reign, Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny

shit, i forgot, King's Bounty, Shining Force and Valkyria Chronicles are also good choices

try atlas reactor

good thread