If he right, and more importantly how do we get Gabe to stop being so fucking fat?

If he right, and more importantly how do we get Gabe to stop being so fucking fat?

polygon.com/2017/5/16/15622366/valve-gabe-newell-sales-origin-destructive

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ
gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-06-david-demartini-origin-wants-to-be-the-hub
the-digital-reader.com/2015/06/25/how-to-add-a-nook-drm-removal-plugin-to-calibre/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>linking to polygon

Guess Microsoft is stepping up the marketing to distract from their recent massive security breach and the upcoming release of 10 S.

If they think Valve is a monopoly they aint seen nothing yet.

>polygon

Unless they have an exclusive reveal they are fucking trash.

>polygon link
AAAHAHAHA HAHAHAAA AHAAAAAA
kill yourself

Joke's on you; I'm sane enough to not consider companies "friends" and thanks to regional pricing Steam has cheaper prices compared to Origin, GMG or even GOG.

>valve is not your friend

only retarded redditors ever praised "le lord gabeN xd"

>steam is not healthy for gaming

maybe, but I(and everyone not mentally handicapped) still want everything in one place. i guess gaming will have to suck it.

>conclusion predicated upon someone at valve calling a tranny "it"

Yeah, that and a profit motive does not evil make.

>reposting the same thread
>polygon
Desperate shills are desperate

Gimme a pastebin or fuck off shill

Man, I wish I could spit Microsoft CEO and stockholders in the face.

I'm not particularly fond of Steam's DRM, but I don't miss the old days of having to hunt down day 1 patches or deal with driver level copyprotection systems like Starforce and TAGES shitting my system up.

Of course, here in clapistan, the consumer has absolutely no rights whatsoever when it comes to digital purchases. Valve, Apple, Amazon, and whoever else are free to screw you whenever they like. They just don't because they have a reputation to protect and don't want to collude out in the open. If all the digital account stores decided to start charging rent for access on top of selling games, there isn't much the consumer can do other than buy physical.

Its not the best thing for it but god damn theres ao much worse out there right now

I always try and go GoG whenever I can, Humble Bundle after that if they have a DRM free version.
But Steam has too many exclusives, especially because I like weeaboo games.

I buy games from Steam (and GoG) because they're the best supported stores that have games for GNU/Linux.

All the other stores tend to be win32 only, which at this point makes them not a wise investment because they'd only be playable for me on the Windows tablet work gave me, and Windows is going Windows Store UWP-only in the future.

>linking to polygon
why is this allowed?

>the same website that said "gamers are evil cis white privileged assholes and should be killed for supporting refunds"

And you not only have the nerve to link to them, but agree with them ontop of it?

Bring it up with hiroshima and ask him to change "polygon" into "fake news"

>Polygon

But yes, Valve is just a corporation now.

he doesnt even run this place though

there's still filters on Sup Forums from years ago for no reason

there's some high ranking mods that just are in charge of certain parts of the site

Gaben was looking less fat a few months ago but he got fat again. I thought he was on a diet or something, i guess that's the price of being billionaire, you can regain all your weight in a matter of weeks by eating the tastiest food money can buy.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
Just kidding OP is a fag and should go back

If you're anti-steam, you're anti consumer, simply because Steam has the absolute lowest prices on games by virtue of most keys resold on key reseller sites being Steam keys. Polygon can go fuck itself along with other distribution platforms that sell not only literal nothing, but OVERPRICED NOTHING.

its more of

id trust steam over EA's origin, ubisoft's shit, and other such places.

Obviously everyone wants things all on one platform, and steam already does that. Everyone else is doing it cause they are greedy, not for your benefit.

EA went on record for thinking sales diminish the value of their products, that you should pay a premium when getting things online since its easier than going to the store, and many other AWFUL ANTI CONSUMER BULLSHIT.

would you really wish they had the monopoly?

If it was up to EA
>base games would sell for $80+
>games would never go on sale, always full price
>DLC will also cost $80 dollars
>you'd have to give them money all the time even if you don't buy their game.
>if you don't, they'd throw you in jail for stealing

you have to remember some companies are just real fucking scumbags ran by the most greedy corporate mother fuckers.

steam may have been all over the place, but it hasn't been as awful as what EA would be from the get go.

>Valve is bad for the industry
>t. Polygon

You sound like a faggot
Steam is cancer and if it died out I would celebrate their games library going to GOG

That's true, however that applies to everyone including Origin and Polygon.

Living in Australia, steam is nothing more than a delivery platform to me; the prices are higher here, they're charged to us in USD so we pay at the current exchange rate with conversion fees, and coming this year our government is implementing a tax on online purchases which adds another 10% to the price. We're almost paying double on certain games.

So I buy my stuff from key stores like GMG and activate them on steam. But if we're talking about Gabe in particular, that fat sack of shit burned all his goodwill when he stopped developing video games.

>maybe, but I(and everyone not mentally handicapped) still want everything in one place.

This is pretty much the only reason I continue to use Steam over other services, inertia. If someone made a neutral platform that devs could make a plugin for to allow their games to download to (For example, adding a plugin that connects the program to your marketplace which causes your games to show up for purchase and download) would cause me to drop steam since steam would simply be a function contained within that master program. Even better, it would drive down the cost of games somewhat since Steam wouldn't take a 30% cut for selling your product directly (Assuming you have your game on your own marketplace.).

It's funny how much more pro-consumer Origin is compared to Steam. The only thing people can bash it for is for not being Steam.

You sound like a shitter with no arguments supporting literal cancer that killed off abandonware sites and is selling literal air to the mentally insane mongoloids like you. But it's OK, it's not like you or your shit literal who distribution platform matter anyway, LMAO.

Why print a piece if you arent going to take that opinion...

>decide to update because microsoft would just bother me all the time like they did when win10 was crated
>all of my files open in weird places
>gifs are opened in internet explorer
i fucking hate microsoft i should've got Linux

> "gamers are evil cis white privileged assholes and should be killed for supporting refunds"
are you denying the validity of that statement?

>would you really wish they had the monopoly?
I pick the third option and wish there wasn't a monopoly.

I don't mind using different clients for my games as long as they are all pro-consumer.

Steam is the only platform of games that isn't constantly broken or anti-consumer. If Steam somehow died, EA and jewbisoft would make their platforms anti-consumer as fuck within a year

Holy fuck everything I hear about Australia sounds fucking awful.

Have you never seen an opinion piece on any type of newspaper, magazine, or website before?

see
origin is extremely anti consumer, the only thing they've done is allow you to get refunds, but they'd probably disallow that too if they didn't get the golden turd award 10 times as well as get called out on how evil the fucking are 24/7.

now they are constantly in damage control trying to appeal and gain the sheeple's trust.

you have to be under a rock to forget this:
youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ

Honestly, I go in assuming whatever I buy on Steam might not be permanent and seek to decouple whatever I buy over time. It's not really a bad trade considering it used to be $8 to rent something for 3 days at Blockbuster and now instead I get to keep it "permanently," though I don't buy $60 games. I've got several games with the steam API removed that allow them to be played standalone just because I don't want to take the risk that my account will be shut out one day.

Doesn't work for every game though, particularly those who have steamworks so integrated into their programming they don't function right without it. But even Half-Life 2 can be forked with the source code to strip out steam entirely.

>no arguments
>proceeds to spout a bunch of buzzword bull shit and ends with LMAO
Yeah no retard physical games are superior to your lord Gabens bullshit and if you have to buy digital then buy DRM free.
Not that it matters to me faggot I pirate everything that isn't multiplayer that I wanna play.

its unavoidable you nigger.

its like saying i'd rather pick having NO disease at all in the world, or no hunger, or no government.

like you fucking are gonna have one so why the fuck pretend like you can have none at all.

>polygon
Aaaand there goes any chance this had of being taken seriously by anyone.

I never really understood this controversy, I just assumed the person was used to playing fps on PC and got a console review copy and was just shit because controller. Which is understandable.

>I pirate everything
And thus everything you say automatically goes into the trash. Neck yourself, piratecuck.

>Oy vey da steam users aren't getting jew'd like console users, how dare dose goyim have a free service with discounted games.

Teach me your ways, fåm. I want to start backing my Steam library.

Is Origin and Uplay sales in a slump recently or is there going to be another steam clone launching?

>its unavoidable you nigger.
Why would you say that?

>its like saying i'd rather pick having NO disease at all in the world,
What an awful analogy; you might as well compare it to food. A closer analogy would be a service provider like an ISP, which there are multiple of.

Only two things need to happen to open Gabe's anus:
1] Other companies need to work together or expand their platforms.
2] Government mandate.

That's it.

Steam, created roughly 12ish years ago provides a platform for indie devs to easily enter the gaming market

meanwhile EA has been buying and gutting devs for decades.

>steam is not your friend

yea, no, fuck off.

Reminder that Polygon took a 500k check from Microsoft.

Being this booty blasted
Pic related, it's you ya dumb queer

For each game you download, there's usually a corresponding crack released within a few months or years. It's particularly easy to get one for older games, but for newer ones, you might have to wait a bit and sort through some fakes to get what you're looking for.

I've got a fileserver that I just store all my downloaded copies on, it's about 6TB in total.

>Describing a company as profit-first

What the fuck company isn't? And did they think the only reason that Origin is hated is because it's EA and not because it has the quality of your average EA product?

Origin is run by EA, one of the worst gaming companies to exist. Valve is less evil by comparison, if only because Valve hasn't killed off multiple gaming companies and franchises.

>inb4 steamfag I pirate most of my stuff

GOG is better than Steam but everything else is FAR worse than Steam.

The only DRM steam has is the check when you buy it, everything else is up to the publisher/developer.

It's exactly the same as GoG's galaxy client, you don't get access to every game on GoG unless you pass the buy check ;)

have you taken a look at the steam store ever?

Don't talk sense in a shitposting thread friendo

He's not wrong in that looking only at Origin, it's definitely pro-consumer. However that's only because people have finally caught on that EA is literally the devil.

You can't pretend it's entirely altruistic, but it's certainly the best place to get recognition for a product. You've got to pay a sizable amount of sales to place a product on Steam, 30% to be exact.

For reference, licensing UE4 is only 10% of your revenue, and having your game on GoG is 8% I think.

GOG is just an online store, everyone else is like this platform or something.

Honestly GOG is the best thing cause the rest are bloatware, botnets, and spyware.

there's a difference between being shit (which is expected of game journalists) and almost dying to the very first enemy in the game

Steam only got as far as it did since it operates on the tenuous promise from Gabe that if the service ever dies, he will hit the magic button that lets you de-Steam your games.

Then you have Games For Windows Live, which actually did shit the bed and die. Microsoft's response to all the broken games it produced? A shrug.
Many publishers were kind enough to offer a Steam code exchange, but the damage was done.

Microsoft just has to say "lol 25%" instead of everyone else's 30% and everyone will jump ship.

>Then you have Games For Windows Live, which actually did shit the bed and die

GFWL still functions properly in many games that used it's service, lots of stuff just moved away from it is all.

Lost Planet 2, Dead Rising 2, and probably more games than that all still work online through GFWL.

GOG could expand into a Steam-like thing once they get enough cash, do what Steam does but better.

Pretty much. You can't rely on a defunct company keeping their word. From an obvious standpoint, a company going out of business has about zero interest in their customers at that point, who are about to not be customers at all.

You've got to go in to online marketplaces with that line of thinking. A particularly bad example would be Nintendo, which can't even figure out how to carry over your games between platforms.

They already have Galaxy but who would want that?
The whole point is to just download the game I wanna play and update and then not have to deal with GOG until I want the next game

Not when a huge chunk of the userbase is still on Win7. Not to even mention how horrible the windows store is and all the lost sales from people who refuse to use it

The biggest hurdle for any competitor is publicity / usage. Steam is THE biggest platform on PC right now and you can be sure that if your game/mod/content gets on there, people WILL see it. Whether or not this makes up the 30%-80% cost for hosting is a different matter.

If an up-and-coming company can somehow draw in devs and publishers and users, they have a base to grow from and compete. Currently only GoG is even remotely close but they aren't ambitious at all.

GOG has no games.
What's the point of a store without products to sell?

There's a lot of posts about Steam DRM and what terrible things Gabe could do with the user agreement, but probably never will because there isn't a reason to. At this point, it's just paranoia or corporate phobia

Valve makes a shitload of money from a huge community that doesnt mind handing over millions for virtual items and transaction fees, and/because they run the best client. They dominate the market by being better. Can anyone say they regret steam replacing Games for Windows Live? the single shittest DRM in existence. In reality you don't notice the Steam DRM at all, and it's the best and cheapest store client. You can even refund purchases for literally any reason, what more do people want

I disabled forced updates a long time ago, who /still on 7/ here? I tried downloading B&N Nook reader to rip some books, fucking jews made the app Windows Store-only.

>B&N Nook reader
Use Calibre you nerd

Its a deathworld. The pro is that if you were born of aussie blood you could bantz like no other and poison is inconvienant instead of fatal.

That's why I pirate everything I purchase.
Even if Valve goes bankrupt I'm not losing the games.

>Then why did you buy them in the first place?
Because I want to support certain developers and genres. Also, multiplayer.

Polygon is not your friend and gabe's fatness is unhealthy for him.

there is no validity in that statement. fuck off.

yeah nah, origin only appears pro consumer, everything behind it is anti consumer as fuck and they are waiting at the chance to get away with it without all the backlash they got the dozen times they tried before.

Why do that to yourself and pretend origin is good?

gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-06-david-demartini-origin-wants-to-be-the-hub

did you chuckle fucks forget who the fuck runs that shit?

Literally:
"Q:One of the things that Steam does is this random deep-discounting of software, and it works well for them. Do you see that as something you want to do?

David DeMartini: We won't be doing that. Obviously they think it's the right thing to do after a certain amount of time. I just think it cheapens your intellectual property."

i mean there is a lot of stuff out there, and they got blown the fuck out multiple times over this kind of stuff.

They only APPEAR pro consumer cause they've been shit on so much.

I have a few problems with the steam client, but they're not too major yet, and often due to poor thought on a developer's part.

For example, some games don't allow you to run a dedicated server decoupled from Steam, so you have to have a second account to do so and still play, even when on another PC. And there's a definite issue when I'm trying to play games on the go -- no more easy to slap something on a flash drive and play it on another PC, nor is there a lightweight mode that doesn't launch a steam service as a separate process, instead simply running a tiny version of it in the back of a game.

The price of games is adjusted to market, you charge something absurd like exclusive purchasing 'rights' you're shooting yourself in the foot. The console market is still more lucrative than PC, micro-transactions seem to be floating most AAA titles and in my naive opinion it seems like ports are getting enough sales to start being more regular.

I think we'll see more carrot than stick tactics with steam as they can appear extremely generous with very little actual cost to themselves, being that they are literally gods of a micro economy.

no it wasnt a bad analogy, it is that you are given existing choices and you would rather pick a nonexistant never to happen 3rd choice.

kill yo self

It may not be my friend, but it isn't my enemy.
That'll do for me.

How many of you will still sing Valves praises when Gabe brings back paid mods?

>Steam is not healthy for gaming
>Having a single platform that the majority of PC games new and old are sold, automatically update, cloud saves and free online with steam sales delivering prices that blow physical store prices out of the water with the feature of being able to refund your games because you just simply felt like it isn't healthy for the game industry.

nice paid shilling by sony
this obviously means sony is mad has fuck and is losing sales

its funny, because its pathetic

I won't but I'd suck his dick for eternity for Ricochet 2

How assbrained do you have to be to link Polygon DIRECTLY?

Just remove this thread or replace the link with a web archive or pastbin

>companies are not your friends

neither are garbage game "journalists"

>monopolies are good now

You still have to download the ebooks from the B&N servers, which requires the app, right?

Steams prices for new games can't compete with a physical discount that comes with Amazon Prime

The controversy is that Polygon employs people who don't play videogames and know nothing about videogames but think they know what's good for gaming

Interestingly enough, digital only is the main reason why I haven't been able to convince any of my videogame-playing coworkers to jump into PC gaming

>Why would I pay full price to rent a game when I can buy the physical game and do whatever I please with it?

the only reason polygon hates gabe is because he btfo a tranny

the-digital-reader.com/2015/06/25/how-to-add-a-nook-drm-removal-plugin-to-calibre/

Discounting software is amazing for the consumer, but does decrease the overall revenue of gaming as a whole. With the advent of steam sales, everyone expects games to eventually be $20, $10, or even $5 after a year or so, meaning whatever game you make doesn't retain any real value. Nintendo, for example, takes the opposite approach and usually retains their starting prices for many of their games and has very few sales. For myself, it just means I'm more reluctant to buy them, but if all companies did that, it would mean more money for devs and thus more reinvestment (Even after a publisher takes a sizable cut).

Now, because of the drastic decrease in prices over time, more devs are switching to a DLC model or a service model to attempt to recoup costs. Every-so-often, this has drastic results with beloved franchises becoming gutted abominations. Not saying this wouldn't happen without sales, I just think that if a piece of software continued to sell at a high price point, it would occur less.

Have you never seen an organization refuse to publish the views of a contributor because it reflects poorly on them? I have. It's what you do because believe it or not, if you pay someone and print their message in your publication you are actually responsible for what they're saying. News papers are not public organizations they are private enterprises.