Sup Forums Paid mods are making a return. How do we stop this

Sup Forums Paid mods are making a return. How do we stop this

kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/valve-wants-to-bring-back-paid-mods-eventually/
gamerant.com/steam-update-paid-mod-123/

pcgamer.com/valve-modders-absolutely-need-to-be-paid/

gamespot.com/articles/despite-the-skyrim-mess-valve-still-supports-paid-/1100-6447765/

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/280740/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

dont buy them

problem fucking solved

Last time users download mods from nexus mods and try to sell it on steam. The modders that created the mods had to take their mods down from nexusmods so they wouldn't get downloaded and sold on steam

Even when the system isn't exploitable, paid mods are cancer. End up with publisher/distributor deals for crappy mods, so the good stuff doesn't actually float to the top and passion projects get overlooked.

I've seen this shit happen before. Deus Ex: Revision anyone? Amateur mod hyped for 8 years, deal with Square Enix to put it on Steam/GOG? Now actually good mods are overlooked and people just install the first shit they see. Will happen again with paid mods, except now you'll have people paying for the shit.

I read that as mods on Sup Forums getting paid

THIS

>your mod gets stolen and sold
>take down the original so only the bootleg can be found

If there was a free option why would you buy them through steam? That's retarded.

Valve is cancer. They are far from being what people romanticize them

A shame, I used to love the company so much...

I'm pretty sure this was after the rampant fucking backstabbing that started over mods using parts of other mods to function.
Which was much worse anyway.

Not gonna lie, former Valve supporter here. This is fucking hilarious watching Game crash and burn.. But in all seriousness we can't let this man get the nuclear codes!

You dont itll die by itself, since mods in their nature are made by the community not paid developers.

Nobody can unfuck paid mods

>pirating mods will soon be a thing

What a stupid time to be alive

Paid mods already exist on many games, warframe and ark for instance. These paid mods are better than retail cosmetics.

Paid mods is good for everyone, the only people who disagree are people who are being shortsighted.

there are people who don't know any better

Fuck yes, now I have a way to support my favorite modders. All anti-mod contrarians should fuck off.

We don't. Paid mods are an objectively good thing for the community unless you're a commie faggot who needs to go back to Venezuela.

alright, valve. if this is the kind of trash you're going to push, i'm seriously done giving you my money. you can find me on origin from now on.

you have a way already, a fair number of modders take donations. if you like a particular modder a lot tell them to make their paypal available for donations or start a patreon account

patronage like that is better than trying to create a marketplace

>Fuck yes, now I have a way to support my favorite modders. All anti-mod contrarians should fuck off.

>We don't. Paid mods are an objectively good thing for the community unless you're a commie faggot who needs to go back to Venezuela.

Fuck of commie scum

It's pretty stupid that there's was a huge outrage when they first (and only for the first one) introduced the $1 for 30 days gamepass for a dota custom map.
There's a total of 5 maps that have it enabled now for maps that have ridiculous amouts of work put into them.

Meanwhile you can shit out a turd on websites like Kongregate and monitize them all you want including locking stuff behind making people watch ads that you get revenue for.

Then those people probably wouldn't be going to nexusmod anyway. I still don't see how this impacts a mod creator. If they made the mod without any compensation in mind, why would it bother them that they aren't getting paid for people to download it?

Who cares? This is no different than saying youtubers shouldnt be allowed to make money cause some faggots upload copyright content to it.

I want to donate to them through Steam.

Nice Sup Forums meme.

I make 3k a month selling free stuff, you'd be surprised how stupid people are.

it's not a donation then

I know people ironically support paid mods on Sup Forums to troll, but it still gets to me an makes me angry.

God fucking damn it, fuck you.

Ask modders how much they get, its fucking nothing. People will throw money at a patreon to some rich youtuber but popular modders get practically fucking nothing from donations.

The mentality of modders work being worthless needs to change.

>Donations aren't really donations

???

Paid mods afe DOA because of steam's automatic updates. Who the fuck wants to wait days for every single one of your mods to update because the developer shit out a bug fix at 2am? Are they going to give pre release updates to every shithead that craps out a horse vagina on the market place?

What the fuck does the consumer get out of paid mods? It's great that you think the mod maker should get paid, but that requires someone to pay them. Right now, all the consumer gets is the promise that some day their investment will pay off in future quality mods that he will still have to pay for. Valve isn't addressing the customer side of the paid mods.

t.poorfag

>lmao dude free markets are back

Fuck off libtard

Do you not understand how workshop subscriptions work or something?

Paid mods will make steam invest in the infrastructure of the workshop and employ staff. It will also encourage creators to be more professional, since it will be their job and all.

You're giving Valve money, that's the whole reason why they want to do this shit through Steam

Do you seriously think they're deleting threads for free?

How much do the mods on Sup Forums actually get paid anyways?

And the problem is...?

Hotpockets based on performance.

>If there was a free option why would you buy them through steam? That's retarded.
user, there are literally people out there who won't buy a PC game if it isn't on Steam.

Valve has created this situation and we have allowed it.

And what happens when official updates break mod functionality? Modders aren't paid devs so they have no reason to support a mod once you buy it. You're essentially creating one of two problems. Either devs of games with lots of paid mods would be very slow to put out updates or it becomes paid content that has a really high return rate. If you try and sell people something that can break at a moments notice and then tell them to fuck off as far as refunds are concerned that's a whole other shitstorm. This seems like a very short sighted idea. We saw it fail once before too but I always knew it would come back.

>Being this fucking dense

I do, i have some for games like stellaris and Xcom2. When a game update comes out or the modder changes the name of his mod, it stops working.

the modders aren't getting as much money from you as they would be if you just donated it to them

The workshop only exists because they intended to make money, if that becomes impossible steam can remove the workshop feature.

Paid mods are already on steam
store.steampowered.com/app/280740/

When a mod is sold on Steam the modder only gets paid when the mods makes at least $400 and on top of that valve takes 70% of the revenue you make for selling said mod

The problem isn't whether or not the mods are auto-updated because they're subscribed to, it's the fact that there's no guarantee that the fucking mod developer is even going to update it to work with the new version in the first place, which is borderline fraud when you've literally paid money for the mod.

goldface.webm

So?

Scoopular codes*

Only way I can see this is if they put some extreme quality control by having people vote for what mod they want first and then when it gets enough votes, either valve or the developers have a process that combs through the mod to make sure it's functional and meet other standards and then release it after that for official purchase.

Is that really the split? That is so shitty its almost hilarious. They know for a fact that they're ripping off people who are only making content because they love whatever game it is they're modding in the first place. Classic.

I guess your donating to the supermarket when you buy groceries
I guess your donating to the game developers when you purchase a game
I guess your donating to your homeowners when you pay rent
Donations and paying to receive something in return are two different things

because by doing that it shows you are more interested in giving valve money than you are interested in supporting that modder, which was your initial point

(You)

I'd rather use uplay than pay for mods

>W-w-we need paid mods to support muh mod authors
>Who cares how much goes to someone who didnt put in any effort
Fucking retards

Games dont get updates, unless you mean games in alpha still.

Yeah, that had been the problem back then too. If they don't make it clear who is liable for keeping things working and providing support it will probably never work.

Maybe Valve should just make their own version of Patreon for content creators right on Steam or something.

You know for a fact every time something came up for a vote, different subcultures would brigand the poll and we'd end up with staff having to play test furry loli bdsm vore mods.

You forgot about when the developer of the game wants a cut like Jewthesda did with all the skyrim mods.

There is a reason paid mods don't and won't EVER work.

When you bring money into the situation, everything turns to shit and shovelware. If you want to support modders, they all have tip jars on websites like the nexus, some have patreons etc, the point is all the money you want to give to them and support them for their work they did out of passion goes ENTIRELY to them. Paid mods on steam are a fucking sham and nothing more than valve and game devs grabbing cash for doing NOTHING.

You wanna support the modders? Fine, do it the right way shit head.

I don't really care, fuck modders, they should be happy that they're getting a cut at all.

@377193215
And that's the last (you) you get for me, at least you didn't try to weasel out of my flawless refutation.

Steam is a store, you have to pay for the infrastructure they offer.

>which is borderline fraud when you've literally paid money for the mod.
See this is where it gets interesting for me. The modder didn't sell you the mod. Steam did. So will there be a ToS for getting your mod approved? Will you have to sign a contract that ensures customer support for some indeterminate amount of time? If not it's exactly what you said. Fraud. If so, then the modder is a fucking developer at that point. I don't see a version of this where both the modder and steam come out on equal footing.

I do not see the problem is refunds are instant and unlimited.

Bad reviews tank a mod and asset flips/theft are punished.

Yes, they make you accept a seperate TOS and ask you for a bunch of info if you plan to do anything on Steam that supports revenue sharing.

When I go to a store, I don't pay for anything I don't buy.

I mean alright. If you want to support steam and valve go right ahead, just don't petition to get shit paid mods for the rest of us.

Steam wants a cut beause they run, created, update and would curate the workshop to spoonfeed people mods.

Publishers want a cut cause they often created the devkits or made the game compatible with mods.

Paid mods aren't an inherently bad thing.

>How do we stop this
You won't. What they said after the first backlash was they pushed them out wrong and with bad timing and should have picked a new game instead of an old one with an already established mod base. Not that there was backlash because they were paid in the first place.
They see it as a way to monetize something that was free before, and they'll cut some money to mod creators too to get them to jump ship since some money is better than none. Win-win right?
They'll use their huge platform to give it exposure and once the negative press dies down they'll push it on everything new until people just stop complaining and accept it.

>Steam wants a cut
70% of the revenue is more than a cut

>valve gets everything. publisher of the game gets nothing
Nice meme

>two parties that aren't the author get 70% of the revenue

He's baiting you retardo

Obviously valve splits its cut with the publisher. At the end of the day the modder is still getting screwed

The developer did the majority of the work and took the majority of the risk, they deserve a 40% cut.

Steam charges a 30% cut for everything on it's platform, regardless of content.

>Steam wants a cut beause they run, created, update and would curate the workshop to spoonfeed people mods.
>run
>create
>update

They just host the servers and that's about it you absolute mongoloid

Do you have to pay to use Steam itself too?

In a perfect world, where everyone was nice and there was no conflict or the idea of getting a quick buck at someone's expense would never cross anyone's mind, it would work fine.

I haven't seen a legitimate argument against paid mods. Other than "b-but they should be free!"

Developer should release their mod api for a price if it isn't already so. They get money from that, and the game itself.

If they try to charge for mods to get further capital, I will acquire as many mods as I can and never stop seeding them.

>and took the majority of the risk
That risk was already covered by their publisher, dummy.

They should be free because people want them to be free. If people won't buy your shit because it's too expensive then your gonna crash and burn. It's called capitalism, friendo.

FREE MARKET! FREE MARKET! BASED CAPITALISM! CORPORATIONS SHOULD KILL BABIES IF IT MAKES MONEY AND THE BABY KILLING IS MERELY A BYPRODUCT!

>Modders want to make money off mods
REEEEEEEEE HOW DO YOU WANT TO MAKE A LIVING REEEEEEEEEEE

Steam gets 30% of every game sold, why do they do you think pu lishers sell games on steam?

If you wanted to sell a mod do you think you would sell vastly more being on the steam workshop or not?

Paid mods is the worst fucking idea ever. Modding as a practice works BECAUSE it's free. Selling mods introduces so many legal and ethical headaches that only someone like Gabe who is in a position to reap massive amount of money for no effort could ever support it.

>Selling mods which use trademarked IPs
>Selling mods which rely on other mods
>Selling mods which don't work or break on update
>Taking free mods, altering them superficially, then selling them.
>Buying mods then just rehosting them elsewhere for free.
>People sell their mods because there's no reason not to try and get money out of it, then stop modding because no one is buying their shit.
>Instead of making the mods they want, people only make mods that sell e.g. overpriced weapon skins
>Instead of making quality mods, people will stick to the simplest possible mods to improve cost/benefit ratio.

Literally nothing good can come from it. Valve has identified something that isn't being monetized and sees an opportunity to squeeze more cash out of people, that's ALL it is.

>A man isn't allowed to make money off of the things he creates.

>angels programmed the workshop

If the company that owns the game gets a cut, this is fucking scary. You will essentially get free development for your game and profit while doing no work yourself which is the ultimate risk-free capitalist dream: to make money while doing and risking nothing.

Will this make mods better or worse? There are multiple arguments on all sides.

I'll personally never pay for a mod though. Imagine the next elder scrolls game comes out with skyrim level hideous UI, and then having to pay $1.99 for SkyUI?

Never. Going. To. Happen.

No, he shouldn't be allowed to make money off of shit no one wants to buy.

>They should be free because people want them to be free.

Everybody wants everything to be free you stupid faggot. I want a free new car and a few house, it's not realistic to expect everything to be free.

He is if people are willing to pay for it. What's so hard to understand about that. If your audience is full of consumers who believe something should be free, it probably shouldn't sneak up on you when people choose not to spend money on your product.

Good points desu, literally fucking cancer.

Torrent them, obviously.
>inb4 corporate assmonkeys get butt blasted