Demon's Souls

After playing and finishing this game after playing through all the other Souls games first, I can't see why so many of you say that it's the best Souls game, besides nostalgia.

DeS is a good game, and definitely not the worst in the series, but it has aged. All the bosses are really easy and passive, and most of them I could beat in 2 tries, with a few exceptions.

I didn't like the weight system, it didn't really add anything much to the game, and just made everything more of a hassle. And the grass system really is bad, I'm glad Dark Souls got rid of it. Valley of Defilement is also the worst area of all of the games, it was almost physically painful to be there, and I never want to go back. Huge swamp, probably the biggest in the series, which is also dark as fuck so you can't see anything, the swamp also slows you down tremendously and makes you unable to even fat roll. The swamp also inflicts poison, and it wouldn't be a problem if the game actually showed you how much poison you can still take. I do not want to go back there.

bump

The people who say it's the best probably haven't touched the game in years. It's better than Dark Souls 2 at best.

It's better than DS2 but worse than the other 3 games.

That's what I thought as well

played it a few months ago and its still my favorite in the series

I played it last since I picked up a ps3 cheap to play it and it became my favorite.
Each area has its own theme and are distinctly different from eachother, while still having nicely interconnected level design since they did not have to worry about mashing them altogether.
Bosses were fun too, easier than the later games, but most are presented more as puzzles to figure out instead of dodge reaction tests.
Story was also nice, cryptic had not yet given way to convoluted while still having a lot of hidden elements in it.

The game is a lot worse right now than it was on release because the playerbase is gone, and a lot of the fun came from the multiplayer experience.

Invaders and summoning was a new thing in Demon's Souls. It was actually a very novel experience playing a 1 player RPG game but getting attacked randomly by other players, or having a player controlled boss fight. Now there's pretty much nobody online.

Game has a lot of flaws; weight system, grinding for upgrade mats, the "world tendency" system, easy gimmick bosses... but it still has a lot of great qualities like having great level design and atmosphere.

Still a good game IMO but Dark Souls did everything better

I really wish I could've experienced the multiplayer too. I played it offline to keep the world tendency stable, but I don't think it matters because almost no players anyway.

The level design was pretty good

I played Demon's Souls on a whim years before I tried Dark Souls and loved it. I'd love to see some more of the weapons and armor sets cross over into Dark Souls because DeS had some serious style.

Is there anyway to emulate it properly on PC yet?

It has the best overall design when it comes to stages and storytelling. Nothing in the other games beats the atmosphere of the swamp in Demon's. In other gameplay elements, the other games beat it hands down.

I wouldn't really call the weight system a flaw, as there are other rpgs with encumbrance systems in place. mat grinding was a pain more than a flaw. Only real flaws the game had was WT and some wonky physics.

Same here. I played through it again after playing through DaS and DaS2. Bloodborne is a strong contender, but I definitely like DeS more than the DaS series.

Demon's Souls has some of the best atmosphere of the entire series including the GOAT Latria. It has the most unique NPCs almost all of which have been blatantly ripped off by the other Souls games. Its level design is fantastic including the aforementioned Latria. Almost every single boss/fight has since been copied in one or more of the other Souls games. Every single world has a separate and fully realized theme and lore. You could probably design and base an entire game just around every single one of Demon's 5 separate worlds. Dark Souls arguably did world design better. Dark Souls 2 arguably did PvP better. Bloodborne arguably did atmosphere better. Dark Souls 3 arguably has better bosses. None of them have put together a package quite as tight or compelling as Demon's Souls. If Demon's had been able to include the final archstone and if character and world tendency weren't so pants-on-head retarded there would be no discussion of which Soulsborne game was the best. It would be Demon's and everything else fighting for second place.

World design of DaS1 is unbeatable, but Demon's Souls has good design in the stages. And I'd say the best story and atmosphere are in Bloodborne

Mechanically, it's perhaps the worst or 2nd to DaS2. But it's praised mainly for being innovative, atmospheric, difficult and a great world. If people defend things like item burden or how tendency was implemented, they're retarded.

Cant give an opinion about BB due to the fact that I have a extreme dislike of the lanky trenchcoat wearer that is the player. That one detail alone prevents me from playing it.

You don't have to wear a trenchcoat. There's other clothes.

Best loading screen in the series

>Valley of Defilement is also the worst area of all of the games, it was almost physically painful to be there, and I never want to go back. Huge swamp, probably the biggest in the series, which is also dark as fuck so you can't see anything, the swamp also slows you down tremendously and makes you unable to even fat roll. The swamp also inflicts poison, and it wouldn't be a problem if the game actually showed you how much poison you can still take. I do not want to go back there.
That's precisely why it's my favourite area in the Souls series. It's so horrific and atmospheric and really compliments Maiden Astraea's plot.

also,,,,, get good

DeS is my favorite because:
Resistances mattering more is really fucking cool. It rewarded you for exploring your options and taking educated guesses based on enemy design. It made weapons other than your main really useful, instead of useless like in every other Souls game.
The atmosphere is amazing.
Overall it feels more polished than DaS.
The levels felt more designed and less like open, real areas with enemies randomly dropped around.
They were more fun to me as a result.

No nostalgia or Sony loyalty here, either.

The pace of DeS is how to handle a faster souls game without the horseshit that was DaS3.

No, it doesn't. Bloodborne does. DeS is overrated as fuck, die from cancer.

DeS is the weakest Souls games, nostalgia retards are the only people who claim otherwise.

BB > DaS3 > DaS > DaS2 > DeS.

>All the bosses are really easy and passive
Try w/o guides now senpai. It's literally the hardest game in the series if you have no idea what to do.

>Overall it feels more polished than DaS.
>No nostalgia or Sony loyalty here, either.

Nah.

You're not wrong OP, DeS sucks.
you're also missing shrine of storms, those untouchable spear shooting steve irwin killing fllying stingrays are probably the absolute worst enemy design i have ever seen in a game.
lets not forget getting gangbanged by those bell ringing monsters at the tower of Latria. or how about the dragon right at the end of the game that blows fire every few seconds and takes far to long to kill. Fuck DeS
BB>DaS>DaS3>DaS2>>>>>>>>>>>Kings field on ps1>>>>>>>>>>>>>a thick brown piece of human feces>>>>>>>>>>>>india>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DeS

>i finished all the other games in the series
>durrr the bosses are easy and only took me two tries
People who didn't start the series with Demon's Souls are retarded and tend to have bad taste and a bad perspective on the quality of the games throughout the series.

Switch DeS with DaS and you have a correctl ist.

It has the best everything until it comes down to the healing system and inventory limits.

I want a remake with better boss AI.

Remake when? I don't want to have to buy a PS3. They're overpriced here.

I'd kill for Demon Souls R. Take the same levels, maybe with tweaks here and there for the weaker stages and include mechanical improvements from Dark series like Covenants and limited amount respawning healing/magic charges and no fucking world tendency and I'd be all over that shit so fast.
Especially if they added content like 6th archstone.

>no fucking world tendency
How the fuck would they implement all of the content that's locked behind tendency then? Land of giants would be cool though.

Chanse of Bloodborne coming to PC is higher than Demon's Souls remaster, the rights are fucked, owned by 4 seperate entities.

replace or revamp the dogshit healing grass system.

>How the fuck would they implement all of the content that's locked behind tendency then?

wow user, can you really not think of a fucking way?

tendency systems were an AWFUL grasping attempt at making the game "deep" in some way...just didnt work, awful awful awful systems

>hey get this one time or it's permanently missed forever!! :))

No.

DeS being the best is a cruel joke Sup Forums like to play on people.

It has the worst level and world structure, least amount of content, horrible puzzle bosses, broken magic, broken PVP, easymode healing, poiseless enemies that can be stunlocked forever making fast weapons OP by default.
Besides Latria there's nothing to really like in DeS and DS3 already does a jail level better.

DeS is a great look into the roots of Souls, without it DS1/2/3 and BB would most likely been worse off and took way more time to test and refine mechanics.
Still a 9/10 game if viewed from a void where the others don't exist, but 5/10 compared to them. Nostalgiafags need to get a grip.

>5/10

stop exaggerating

100% agree.

100% disagree

Can't we all just, you know, get along?

>nostalgia
I played it after I played Dark Souls on PC and got a PS3 just for Demon's Souls and I liked it more

Not as long as DeS nostalgia sons of whores exist.

>magician does a magic trick
>wow that was pretty great
>magician does the same magic trick
>okay that was fun but I liked it better the first time
>STFU nostalgiafaggot reee

Having a hard time getting a physical copy and I'm thinking of buying it in the ps3store.

Any chance it'll disappear or I might lose access to it?

DeS was improved on with every other Souls game, DeS has dogshit systems in it that are garbage, fuck off retard.