So, why despite being a better console Mega Drive/Genesis lost against SNES?

So, why despite being a better console Mega Drive/Genesis lost against SNES?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5cAtfPd4O6E
youtube.com/watch?v=Wu-DY6Phm_0
youtube.com/watch?v=THEy14fJnL4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Better games

because shit marketing

Come on
Genesis had shit like Rock'n'Roll racing, Phantasy Star, Mega lo Mania and Jurassic Park games

none of that statement is true

While the Genesis was still being supported, it had nearly 60% of the market in the US.
Also, the Genesis is weaker in nearly every way except performance (which isn't sufficiently high to offset the more advanced video hardware and easier to work with sound hardware in the SNES).

The SNES came out later and had better first party support.

haha, nice try nintenkiddy, but everyone know that the Genesis had BLAST PROCESSING, meanwhile the super nintendidn't.

SNES only had the best catalog ever.

>Bus tour with Sumipe for people who won the lottery
>Bus tour includes BBQ and strawberry-picking
>tfw you will never pick strawberries with Sumipe while singing Soviet-era songs at a strawberry farm

>it had nearly 60% of the market in the US.
And by the end of life cycle it was 17m genesis against 23m snes in the NA

SoJ was fucking retarded, that's why.

The only hardware advantages the Genesis had was that it had more ram than the SNES (Sonic could not run on the SNES and maintain the consistency that the Genesis had) and that it's audio chip was superior for certain styles of music.

whats the point of penises on girls?

they're better than male penises

Partly true. This was during the era when Nintendo had pretty strict exclusivity agreements with third party developers.

The SNES did have better sound capability than the Genesis and a larger color palette.

jav code?

NO JAV

Because Sega made pretty stupid decisions like not pushing enough the Sega CD when the capabilities of that add-on were enough to surpass the SNES.

The Genesis retained a larger market share than the SNES in America throughout their lifetimes.

>Genesis rock and roll racing
There are some times where the genesis sound chip can actually beat the snes sound chip (see thunderforce), but rock & roll racing is not one.

Earthworm Jim is one of the best examples.
SNES:
youtube.com/watch?v=5cAtfPd4O6E
Genesis/Mega Drive
youtube.com/watch?v=Wu-DY6Phm_0
Sega/Mega CD
youtube.com/watch?v=THEy14fJnL4

Thunderforce 4 was the only good thunderforce.

>you will never see either of these companies at their peak again

J U S T

it didn't have the games

>better console
it wasnt though, snes had better specs and a better lineup

Is it a new meme?

most of Sup Forums unironically believes the genesis only had sonic and sports games.

>SNES won

So we're just pretending Europe doesn't exist?

Well what did it have? Off the top of my head all I can think of is Phantasy Star, Gunstar Heroes, Toejam & Earl, Bonanza Bros, and uncensored Mortal Kombat

The soundchip's the same thing the arcades were using at the time iirc so of course it beats snes and its low quality samples it's just that western devs sucked at using it

Forgot about Ristar. That's a great game.

Super Nintendo definitely had more JRPGs than Genesis. Genesis had more everything else.

No, but acknowledging they were irrelevant compared to USA and Japan.

Contra Hard Corps, CV Bloodlines, Ghouls n Ghosts, Streets of Rage series, Shinobi and a whole bunch of other games along with some good arcade ports

Not all yamaha FM sound chips are born the same.
The one on the genesis is a very primitive if compared to the popular one on the arcades, also it don't have a dedicated PCM audio chip as the arcades had.
But it does output a cleaner audio than the snes if the snes is using tiny ass samples, as happened a lot of times.

the king of FUCKING pop prefered the genesis over the super nintendo

Snes had more good platforming games as well.

Mainly due to marketing i believe. Nintendo just played it safe with basic shit like "you'll love this game". While Sega went full edgelord with ads that basically read as "if you don't like this you're a pussy". Only children fell for the Sega ads. Not saying the Genesis didn't have good shit: I still play Genesis Shadowrun on a regular basis. But they WAY too far with the whole "we're radical, Nintendo is gay" bullshit. It was like modern politics. More interested in mud slinging than simply telling your merits.

but the marketing worked?

If you add the Sega CD to the equation:
Keio Flying Squadron
Popful Mail
Earthworm Jim Special Edition
Snatcher

It's a bit complex question.
During the sega genesis actual lifetime, it outsold the super nintendo, but as sega left the race early, snes passed it.
If sega just kept the sega genesis alive or let's say two more years instead of doing all those fuck ups they did, they would probably had won against the snes to the end and not crashed and burned to the ground like they did

It didn't. 16 bit was a close fight, but Nintendo won in the end. Key franchises like mario, Zelda and final fantasy helped immensely. Let's face it: only autists have ever given a shit about Sonic.

>It didn't.
prove it.

Shinning force, Granada, Rocket Knight adventures, Herzog Zwei, Landstalker...

so you can grip it and stroke it to climax as you are fucking her

Sega Saturn was too obscure. A lot of the great games never left the shores of JP or at the very least made it to NA but not EU. Dreamcast just didn't have much of a line up at all. I don't know how but Sega just dropped the ball after the Mega Drive.

>and not crashed and burned to the ground like they did

but during that process they made the dreamcast aka the greatest console of all time...

>Dreamcast just didn't have much of a line up at all

dreamcast had the greatest launch line up in terms of games

Sega left the console industry. What other proof do you need fucktard?

If it was so much better why did every game ported to both systems look and sound better on SNES?

>sega leaving the console market was because of their marketing campaign with the genesis

how fucking stupid are you?

test

How do I get a Japanese gf, Sup Forums?

Dreamcast would exist in ALL the timelines.
You see, sega is not a company that likes doing their custom chips, instead looking for the best possible combination of off the shelf components, and the dreamcast components are the PERFECT combination of off the shelf components, like an exodia or something.
The perfect cheapass CPU to drive a fuckload of triangles per second due its SIMD capabilities, the perfect cheapass GPU to push a fuckload of triangles per second as long you mind the tile thing, the perfect ARM to drive the audio and so forth.

If there is a console that would work as a 3DO (as in an console standard everyone can manufacture), dreamcast would be this console.

There's more to a line up than the initial one. I'm talking about the long term line up which Dreamcast never had.

Don't bother.

Lower your standards

Be 6' 9''

learn japanese and don't browse Sup Forums
Read: don't be a weirdo

Easy
You need to know a Japanese girl who likes you and wants a relationship

Never played this myself, but from what I've seen on youtube this looks like the lamest rhythm game ever. Why did anybody care about it?

>Go to Japan to work at some CG company
>The only girls who are interested are fucking Flips in disguise

Fucking assholes are taking advantage of the fact that I can't tell one pair of slanted eyes from another.

Um, okay. I don't know how the best typing game ever relates, but whatever.

How fucking stupid are you that you think bankruptcy isn't a loss?

I really hate people like you.

Congratulations fucktard. Want a cookie?

pump and dump

Not the guy you've been talking to, but you're a fucking retard. The genesis didn't cause them to become bankrupt.

Speaking as an oldfag who grew with that generation: they're both great. I wouldn't want to be without either.

Yeah, the 32x and Sega CD didn't hurt them at all...

Anybody else remember Rolo to the Rescue? I loved that game.

Not when they had Sega channel

Which was used by what 5% of the users? When Sega channel was active the majority of people didn't even have modems on their PC.

Sega's bankruptcy was caused by the Saturn's failure to sell in America and Dreamcast sales not meeting their expectations. It has nothing to do with the Genesis or its peripherals.

not many of you are mentioning that SNES had a drastically higher color count, and a much better sound chip

maybe it doesn't seem that different now? It was huge at the time.

the snes version of SF2 was nearly arcade perfect, the genesis version was clearly inferior, and this was true for everything, there is no way to compare the fidelity of phantasy star to final fantasy, it's night and day, especially at the time

And you really think that the Genesis customers weren't pissed by the immediate lack of support when they they launched the 32x, etc. And that had zero impact on Saturn reception? You're fucking retarded if you think they have no correlation.

>SNES colors

Shit, that brings back memories.

So they can climax twice as they get fucked by another girl with a penis.

>Girls with penises

Goddamn you fuckers need to go get laid.

You sound rather autistic.

Yeah.
By girls with penises, am I right?

Says the guy that's so sexually frustrated he faps to men in wigs.

You're projecting quite a lot.

Be white

he also preferred fucking young boys

Because Sega consoles were always shit.

It IS the patrician's choice.

Why are Japanese girls so disgusting that they think they just shit on the floor whenever they want?

Mega Drvive and dreamcast were great

Sega channel was through a cable wire, not an phone line you fucking retard

How do you confuse the two? Japs are far more reserved than flips, that's the biggest give away.

Also, good on you because you should never date a flip.

Ecco the dolphin
One of the few games that actually did timetraveling right instead of pandering "it can can fix all your problems" style(steins;gate,madoka)

>While Sega went full edgelord with ads that basically read as "if you don't like this you're a pussy"
>"we're radical, Nintendo is gay" bullshit.

You don't actually know the slogan and are projecting

>Be me 3 years ago
>Live in Michigan, brother lives in louisiana
>Brother is moving and needs some help
>Drive down to help him
>Stop at a rest stop in Indiana to take a piss
>Whole bus of Japanese tourists stop at rest area
>Take my piss while surrounded by Japs speaking jap.
>Zip up, flush, turn around, greeted by a 40+ year old man standing in a stall with the door wide open, pants around ankles, brown eye covered with fresh shit winking at me.
>Three other Japs having an obviously casual conversation with the public shitter.
>Me and one other white guy look at each other, shake our heads and walk out

I don't give a fuck how fat and lazy and stupid many Americans are, Japs are complete fucking degenerates.

You are profoundly retarded.

You originally said Sega lost to Nintendo in the 16 bit wars, but it had a bigger market share in the west than the SNES for multiple years. Their "edgy" marketing did work, no doubt about it. Sega leaving the console market ten years later is completely unrelated to the Genesis' successful marketing campaign.