I kind of want to get into the Ys series

I kind of want to get into the Ys series.

Which should I start with? Are the stories self contained?

Other urls found in this thread:

digitalemelas.com/
humblebundle.com/store/ys-i-ii-chronicles
youtu.be/mvvGtPWNRsA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sorta, just play through them in release order.

Yes. Adol is the main character in most of them, but the stories of each game barely have anything to do with each other.

Play them in release order. Going backwards might make you miss the improvements on the formula each new game makes.

Emulate the Master System version.

They are more or less self-contained but 1&2, Ark of Napishtim and Origin are connected and should be played in order.

Is that seriously the best one to start with?

I might do this.

I barely knew anything about Ys, got a couple of the PSP games on PC during a steam sale and had a blast playing them.

Stories seemed pretty self-contained except for the MC being re-occuring.

Ys 1&2 Chronicles

No, just grab Ys Chronicles on Steam. If you don't enjoy that, skip directly to Oath in Felghana or Origin.

Some dude made a site recently specifically about how to get into Ys.

digitalemelas.com/

Whats different from Chronicles on PSP and Chronicles+?

Art style, UI, resolution and ost.

The site seems to suggest playing origin first?

You should play it if only for the fact that it's one of the best 8-bit RPG games ever made.

No, I think you're misreading it. Origin is the first game chronologically but the first game you should play is Chronicles. Origin is fine as a standalone but it has a bunch of references to Ys 1 and 2 that will go over your head if you haven't played them first.

Origin is the prequel too all upcoming games, but I still would recommend playing Ys 1&2 first.

Because mainly of the bumping system and you can finish them pretty fast.

This is retarded and autistic.

The answer to these questions is ALWAYS, WITHOUT FAIL, release order.

>Recommending playing Origin before VI

This.
You simply can't go wrong with release order.

Ok, so let me get this straight.

I can emulate Ys I and II on (??? which is the best version to emulate?) then buy origin on steam if I like them?

I'm reluctant to put money down on a totally unknown franchise.

>Origin before Napishtim
Gross.

Start with Ys Origin then play Ys Chronicles+ then play Oath in Felghana

>digitalemelas.com/

Shit, that's a pretty high-quality site. Nice to see how the Falcom fandom has really gathered together online in recent years.

Is it worth getting this for $4? Or can I just emulate the PSP versions?

humblebundle.com/store/ys-i-ii-chronicles

>humblebundle.com/store/ys-i-ii-chronicles

Get it on PC, theyre decent ports.

You can always pirate the GOG version.

Then grab something like Oath in Felghana in case you hate bumper cars.

Celceta PC version in the west WHEN

The ones people mostly recommend are Ys Oath in Felghana and Ys Origins for new style Ys gameplay and Ys 1&2 Eternal for old style Ys gameplay.
There's also the slightly similar game Xanadu Next, which is the "latest" entry in another Falcom sub-franchise which is basically proto-Diablo, but you'll fit into it pretty snugly as well.

Pirate the translated version.

Just pirate the game and use the fan translation, fag.

>actually bothering to play Ys 5 and the original version of Ys 3

It's shit.

Not sure I'd call it a fan translation when its just a rip of XSeed's official translation.

Start with the bump system, then do whatever the hell you like.

That's true, but I was answering his question.

If he's a cheapass, a PSTV can be bought cheap and you can hack it + attach a hard drive for maximum pirate power.

Fair enough.

>Ys 1 is on the Master System and is the first game to be released in the west. Ys II was not localized for 8-bit machines.
>Ys 1 & 2 are on Turbografx 16 CD where the game was remade with 16 bit graphics and CD audio.
>Ys 1 & 2 have also a remake on the PSP with remixed soundtrack and better visuals.
>The PC port is based on the PSP version.
Take your pick since you can't go wrong with any version.

I actually prefer the original Japanese Windows release of Eternal with the translation patch.

I can't wait for Ys 8 on PC.

Hope there's a way to do Solo-Adol without beating the game first.

I'll just add this in since OP might find use for it:
youtu.be/mvvGtPWNRsA

Play Oath in Felghana and Origins on Nightmare or at least Hard, as they each unlock progressively tougher boss patterns.

Makes the game much more fun.

Apparently in Japan you can unlock it on the PS4 version for the first playthrough if you already own the Vita version. It would be nice for NISA to do something good for once and unlock it from the get-go though.

Personally I find the party system in Ys VIII fine. I had a blast playing it on Vita last year.

As the jumping is also back, would you say exploration is more fun than it was in 7\Celceta?

If I'm not wrong, you can switch to the orignal soundtrack and artstyle anytime you want with the PSP Remake (playable on Steam)

Yes, definitely. The combination of the more "over the shoulder" camera angle, and the addition of jumping again makes exploration a LOT better than other games in the series. Especially for a Vita game, the world felt like it had a lot of scope.

Also, I guess I'll just take this opportunity to dump some screenshots I took.

Giving me a hardon there fella

Thank you

This image is fucking terrible. Absolutely reprehensible.

Gameplay order should resemble something like this:
You have three starting points to choose from
1. Ys I & II engine
>Ys I, Ys II are the main games to play, PC versions. Other games are the older versions of I, II, III and IV.
2. Ys VI engine
>Play in order of VI, Felghana and Origin
3. Ys SEVEN engine
>Play in order of SEVEN, Celceta, 8

FUCK YOU DARK FACT

no prob, m8

Ys VIII was easily my GOTY 2016. Can't wait to play through it again on PS4 with dat extra content and 1080p/60fps. The demo was pretty damn smooth. I also can't fucking wait for Sen III later, fuck yeah.

I'd like to put special attention towards the fact that this is a Vita game. Falcom really knew how to work that fucking system, apparently.

Oh, let me join you user

You've already said everything about VIII that I would've said, but I can at least drop some of my screenshots too

Celceta is connected too

Also I thought Ys VIII's story was pretty great.

Falcom's Engrish was pretty funny sometimes.

Ok I just downloaded Ys 1 and 2

Oh god is this the worst combat system ever invented?

So Ys 8 is basically just Ys 7 again isn't it?

What do you mean?

>hating bumper car combat
Never post on this website again.

Bump 'n grind is fine, try Ys 5 if you want to experience a truly shitty combat system.

To add to this, it also amalgamates the pre-party Ys system of "using special attacks as platforming tools" with the party system's ability to learn a shitton of and switch out skills, so you have a lot of versatility in how to approach platforming puzzles and find/reach hidden shit, which is really neat

looks like I got a finer view than you on that one

No, it's not. It's a very easy system to learn. And remember, this combat came from a mid 80s Japanese PC game when action RPGs were still just starting to exist.

Gameplay wise

I just hope NISA doesn't royally fuck it up.

>tfw Ys VIII has an accessory that enables bump combat

you'll miss it when they take it away

Did the Sony ports of Origin get a physical release? Were they even good?

It's weird at first but you'll come to love it. If after a few hours you still can't stand it, just skip to Oath or Origin.

There ARE some similarities to Ys 7, but it definitely iterates on the party system more than Celceta did.

So you did.

That's a pretty nice skybox.

They will be, and I guess? No blood splatters, though.

Ys VIII has some great skyboxes. I wish I got more shots of it.

Reminder that this is a Vita game.

Physical copies are coming, they might already be out I haven't been paying attention
Not the best port though. Audio bugs out a lot and it crashes every now and then too

Ok the bumper combat is growing on me.

Ys 8 looks pretty damn nice.
You gotta give it to Falcom. They've existed for so damn long while creating the catalysts for whole genres of games and still show no signs of stopping.

>crashes every now and then too
What the fuck? I ran Origin on my APU laptop and it run steady and 60 fps. Quite the feat if they managed to make it crash on the PS4.
Are the physicals for the Vita or PS4? I'm getting a Vita TV soon so I might pick one up.

Naturally.

>console games crashing
Is this real life. I thought their appeal was that it just works™

Console games crash all the time these days.

Yup. There's some places I forgot to get a shot of that really looking stunning. Particularly where Hummel got this egg...

PS4? I'm not even sure if Origin is on Vita at all

>this combat came from a mid 80s Japanese PC game when action RPGs were still just starting to exist

Coincidentally didn't Falcom pretty much invent action RPGs with one of their other series?

I got a PS4 as a gift, it hard locked the very first day I used it while I was just messing around on the main menu, not even in a game. Modern consoles are depressingly terrible.

Yeah, with Dragon Slayer. Then Dragon Slayer II: Xanadu cleaned it up even more.

Yeah, Dragon Slayer. Which eventually spun-off into Legend of Heroes, which eventually led to the Trails series. Along with a bunch of other series...

Legend of Heroes was Dragon Slayer VI, and the Dragon Slayer sub-franchise that's lasted the longest with the most games.

The thing I'm most excited about regarding VIII getting localized is seeing how EOPs react to this part when they get there

>Legend of Heroes was Dragon Slayer 6 and is the longest running sub-series
>Trails started as Legend of Heroes 6 and rapidly overshadowed the whole rest of the series
Odd how things work out.

George Weissman -> Kilgore Waisman

Fucking falcom. This scene will be great too.

Where do I get the money for the shield in the first town?

I've always been fascinated with Falcom's whole catalog. It's super interesting cause of just how important they were to the early Japanese game scene.

>spoiler
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought when I first saw it
the whole buildup to that part was fantastic, and I'd say it was arguably the most dickass boss fight too

What happens if you don't have enough renown for the true ending anyway?
Do the scene you posted and the true last boss just not happen at all?
I only heard it was possible to not have enough but it's so easy to get that I can't imagine why that's a thing in the first place

There's a lake to the north east of town. Spam A or whatever default thing it is at it's north western bank to get an sellable item. This is just to cut down grinding.

Disregard Ys 5 for now because the next Ys title will probably (hopefully) be a remake of the game.

Which boss fight in particular are you bitching about? I'm assuming the first form to this faggot?

>What happens if you don't have enough renown for the true ending anyway?
Iunno. I guess so? I feel like it's something like that one scene in TitS FC that basically requires you to get as low BP as possible to see it.

Checked it up. LimitedRunGames is doing the selling, so expect low amount of copies and scalper prices. Releasing on both PS4 and Vita. Also there's a Collector's Edition.

>that one scene in TitS FC that basically requires you to get as low BP as possible to see it.
Oh right, Falcom does do that
Weird, I wonder if anybody will ever actually see what happens

No though I meant Kilgore; the final bosses were good ol' Falcom difficulty but they were mostly just fun-hard, not "you get instakilled if you fuck up the flash guard/move even once" like the aforementioned

Anyone who plays Origin or OiF before VI is a blithering retard or a woefully misdirected sap.