ITT: Post games that would've been 10/10 if they weren't so obviously unfinished

ITT: Post games that would've been 10/10 if they weren't so obviously unfinished

Blame the garbage that was ff8

/thread

Blame FF8 and Takahashi autism for filler. Even when it was awesome, at the end a lot of disc 1 is just filler.

jesus christ xenogears is so overrated

Xenogears is underrated, if anything. I mean if you don't like really Japanese shit, it isn't for you, but it was fucking amazing. Especially for its time.

It has some good ideas but the filler content drags it down insanely. It was better off being an anime.

what exactly makes it amazing for its time?

Game stories just didn't get that fucking strange and use themes like that back in the PS1 days.

Makes me wonder why Xenoblade has a pretty safe story when Takahashi can go wild.

So it would have been good as a VN rather than a RPG.

Disc 2 > 1. Xenogears should've been a VN. The ground combat boils down to
>grind deathblows
and
>use deathblows. The Mech strategy is even worse, since the lowest level deathblow is the only one that's worth its cost in fuel. There were a handful of interesting battles but by and large the combat was complete tedium. Wandering around the world was interesting, the constantly expanding plot scope was extremely engaging, but the actual GAME was a slog. If it had been a voiced VN it'd be 100x better.

VN?
I haven't played Xenoblade. Never played Xenosaga either. Just the original.

Dark Souls. Some might already consider it 10/10 but the latter half (after lordvessel) is such a fucking mess compared to the first half. It would have been that much more amazing if it had stayed consistent quality-wise

Visual Novel.

Mankind divided
Prove me wrong faggets

I really liked this game as a kid, and still do but even back then I could notice the awkward timing of cutscenes and some glitches. (There's apparently been 500 glitches found in the game, but I have only ever encountered like 3).

They apparently cut at least 2 levels and a playable character (Coco) because it was rushed.

Oh. Yeah, probably so, but I don't read those so I'm glad it was in game form. But yeah I'm sure that would have worked too.

Dragons dogma. The roughest videogame gem ever.

What non-nostalgiafags can say about this game?

This.

I bought this for 12 maple bucks

How good did I do?

Nintendo and he is old now, also, both Xenoblade games focus on gameplay and characters, not really the overall story.

I think the whole "the 2nd half of Dark Souls was shit!" meme is a bit overstated.

Yeah it definitely has a drop in quality overall ofter Anor Londo but
A.) It's less than half the game
and
B.) Some of the best boss fights in the game are after Anor Londo

Takahashi pretty much had this dream of creating the ultimate game saga back when he was younger, but after the troubles with Xenogears and Xenosaga he's pretty much given up on completing it.

He still reuses some of the elements from both in his Xenoblade stuff.

Finally played xenogears and ive never felt so polarized by a game ever

50% of it was gold, stuff you really felt was thought out and was able to be philosophical without being pretentious and had a great pace

50% of it was shit that felt like it was written and designed in 3 days by a lemon and coked out intern

I dont regret playing it because whats good is really good but whats bad is really bad and dont want to go through it again.

I love Xenogears as it is.
While I wish that the Gameplay was improved, and the second disc could have been finished, I really loved the experience I had with it.
It's one of the most unique games I've ever played in terms of presentation.

This could've been a Top 5 RPG on PS2 if shit wasn't so ridiculously unfinished on the second disc.

I just want to say Mother 3 is my favorite videogame ever made but it still has some unfinished details.

Why did grandia lose it's cheerful aesthetic after the first game?

If there's any game in the world that's worth finishing, it's Xenogears.

Remaster, refinish, redo, fucking ANYTHING.

The overall scope of the story was the most impressive thing that a JRPG needed. The music was fucking brilliant too. And it's all going to waste.

The gameplay and battle system needs a completely reboot though, since the technique is to repeatedly use the most powerful deathblow available. Limit the deathblow mechanic, expand upon regular attacks, keep the human/gear battle dynamic (have a battle find a reason to get in and out of your gear for example), add more platforming elements with a less shitty camera, and remove the terribly frequent random encounters.

So fucking help me, if Square-Enix is going to be completely useless, I'll remake the whole goddamn game in secret and release it to the world by surprise.

STAND TALL AND SHAKE THE HEAVENS

It was certainly ahead of its time. You can tell they wanted to do a lot more with the map.

I don't think any other game is using that MotionScan thing.

For what the game was, the map was unnecessarily big. It was never supposed to be open-world like GTA. It may as well have been a Telltale game.

What is this series about? I'm not familiar.

Being edgy was cool so they got with the times and eventually destroyed what could've been a great franchise.
Kinda like what happened with Breath of Fire.

I played it for the first time in 2013 and thought it was mind-blowing. Used taboo themes and subject matter without coming off as edgy or exploitative. Disk 2 is a big fat shame and grinding deathblows is boring, but that's a flaw of its time. Legitimately might be my favorite story in a game but I don't think it would have had the same impact if it was just a VN.

Xenogears is officially the Remo Williams of video games.

I never asked for Xenosaga or Xenoblade. Never bothered to play them.

I've just waited for Xenogears.

Funnily, when the game became a visual novel (practically) on disc 2, it went downhill, the lowest peak was seeing that mascot thing crucified, sure it was funny as shit but the mood of the scene was completely ruined, don't know what were they thinking.

Now, it took me like 80 hours to complete that game, if it didn't have cut content, it would've easily reached the 120 hour mark for a regular playtrough.

If anything the Xenoblade saga is shaping up to be pretty fucking big, specially because it seems to have two alternate mainline series at the same time in case they decide to continue the "X" series (it ended with a cliffhanger).

FFXV NEEDS a redo

It would have been so great to have a highly-modable Ace Combat on PC. I mean, all the tools are actually there, and there's technically nothing stopping people from making mods, but unless the dev sorts out the bugs and makes a decent-size campaign, the game probably won't attract enough interest for a good modding community to develop.

Yeah, I hope it goes down that route too.
It seems that X gets more like Gears towards the end but it cuts off abruptly.
It would be interesting to see if X and the other chronicles games are connected in any meaningful way.
I still doubt it though,but it's a cool thought to keep in the back of my mind.

Dude...

The series was created in the late 80's and inspired by the dragon quest series, if you are familiar with that series you can expect a similar style of game. The first two games center on an alien invasion. They have a more modern setting and pretty comical settings. Although there are some story moments and some emotional stuff it's mostly about some kids on an adventure, exploring a silly 50's like version of America.

Mother 3 is...different to say the least. Though do note, different isn't bad here. Mother 3 is very much not your typical jrpg, even more then the other two games. It's hard to go into detail but this one moves away from the aliens and begins with a more contained plot. Some invaders, men dressed in military style pig costumes, invade a small island and eventually things start to go very, very wrong. There is more emphasis on story and character but it's not bad. The silly tone is there but this one deals with some more serious themes. Be ready for tears, the game is pretty infamous for being tear worthy.

Mother is my favorite game series ever made, really I love all three equally and for different reasons. I really siggest trying them.

not him, but I haven't played Mother either.
It's on my backlog though.
Which of the games was localized into Earthbound?

This actually does sound really intriguing. And honestly, as much as this board is full of contrarian cunts, I've been happy most times I've taken Sup Forums's word on a good game.

Gothic 3.
Shit came out like 1-1,5 years earlier than it should have because of publisher greed. It was still fun, but it was obviously a skeleton of a full game.

Mother 2, which was localized as Earthbound. Obviously this was the second game in the series and was released on the snes.
I can't say for sure that you'll love it, not everyone does obviously, but the series has such a genuine sincerity that it really is some thing special.

Mother 1 was released originally on the famicom only, it wasn't until later that English speaking fans were able to play. Unless you are familiar with jrpgs of that era then I recommend starting with Earthbound. Earthbound is much more forgiving and not as cryptic in it's objectives.

One more note, please try all of them. As weird as it sounds some fans enjoy one/two of the games and don't like the others. I have seen fans who like 2 and 3 but say 1 is bad. I have seen fans say 1 and 2 are good and 3 is bad. I have seen people say 3 is the only good one. The fanbase can be a bit divided but all are good for different reasons. Even if one bores you please consider at least trying the others.

If either of you have a question feel free to ask, I love helping people be able to experience my favorite game series.

Fuck, is it really rushed? It's pretty close on my list of retro shit to play. Why is it bad?

The Clunky control scheme is what kills it from being enjoyable.

Another Square game.

On a scale of "Onimusha - Good" controls, who Onimusha is it?

*how

Is this first game worth playing, by any chance? I was thinking about playing the second, but I get the feeling that if I were to play that first I'd ruin whatever fun I'd get out of the first if I played it afterward.

the first game, rather.

OK, using the arrows in first person is a pain in the ass tho.

I didn't even realize Earthbound was one of those. I didn't play it but one of my best friends from back in the day loved it. And yeah I'm kinda old so I played old JRPG's. I'll look into these, thanks man!

you should try xenoblade.
it's a really good game on its own.

No problem. I hope you enjoy the series user.

Yeah, you'll be missing out on a lot. Technically you can skip G1 and go straight for G2, because every relevant piece of information from G1 related to G2 quests is repeated in G2 dialogues too, but it's not the same.
Also, G1 is a lot of fun too.

Nomura's version would have been the FF the series needed.

Combat in xenogears is a boring shit.

Alright, thanks. I'll give it a shot.

Most half-assed part of the game. I've always wondered if they would have put more effort into that if they'd had time to finish.

One of the true GOAT jrpgs that deserves its legendary status, first played in 2015

Game story and battle system

now this was a great game

Colonial Marines

>battle system
It was amazingly the worst battle system in jrpg history.

It's still 9/10 with one of the fan patches.

Daily reminder that they cut roughly half of the original storyline.

Dragon's Dogma

Half-Life 2
>let's throw out all our good idea just cuz some faggot leaked them
Valve are such clueless fucks.

Can be said about any of Troika games.

Persona 5

>you will never get to play the Fuse route in your lifetime

CWC RPG

>P5
>unfinished

Elaborate.

>That rushed ending

Rushed how? There's still shit going on after you beat the final boss.