Crpg renaissance

>crpg renaissance

what the FUCK went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.fireden.net/v/search/filename/1323246567.jpg/type/op/
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/paradox-admit-tyranny-sold-below-expectations-dlc-still-in-the-works.115226/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>trusting western developers

>Serpent in the Stagland
What's this?

>Doesn't have lolis for you to jerk off to
>Can't trust

A lot of them are really strong in just one or two areas, and really lacking in all others, making the individual games mediocre rather than excellent.

i just want a good story. I've haven't played most on there, but I have played divinity and pillars (most of the games anyway) and I just don't understand why there can't just be a good nice story and lore.

For all their many, many, MANY flaws, AD&D and D&D3.5 still somehow manage to make more enjoyable combat than the shit most of these games came up with to replace it.

but le underrail was le good because le one person le made it

People want games with interesting stories, well written characters, and sidequests that have some depth to them. So bringing back CRPGs seems like an obvious answer to that. The problem is that the writing is all that people liked about CRPGs for the most part. People don't want games with clunky controls and combat, and they also definitely don't want wide pulled back isometric camera angles.

Nothing went wrong. It gave us a bunch of good games that we wouldn't have gotten without crowdfunding.

Sure, with the exception of possibly DOS and Dragonfall, no one lived up to the hype. But it still served a purpose and got new players into that type of games.

And don't forget that DOS2 is on the horizon and has a legit potential of being the best RPG this decade.

Nothing.

Nothing. That's a variety of CRPGs for people who like different things in their CRPGs. Only real failing was expecting every single kickstarted game to be 10/10 GOTY material.

They have a demo on their site.

Age of Decadence has really good lore. It's probably my personal favorite recent CRPG. Played it more than 5 times now. Probably going to do another run as soon as GOG bothers to update to the latest version.

Are we over pretending to hate PoE yet? That meme was really tiresome.

Nothing

not until release of the PoE2 out

It's not so simple.

Pillars of Eternity was was great and ambitious, just took some effort to get into, which isn't that unusual with the establishment of a completely new world/lore (felt the same when I first played Baldur's Gate.)

Shadowrun Returns was OK in terms of style, but not much of an RPG and simplistic combat, don't know how the sequels fare.

They all feel 'incomplete' compared to the games they're inspired by.

I don't mean unfinished, I mean that it feels like there hasn't been hours and hours of attention put into making the worlds mysterious and making the player want to discover more of it. In Pillars I just felt like I was just going to the next area to try and get it over with and didn't really care what happened or about finding out about the world.

This could be because I'm older, however.

What was wrong with Underrail? I liked it.

>Shadowrun Returns was OK in terms of style, but not much of an RPG and simplistic combat, don't know how the sequels fare.

Dragonfall was a tremendous step up in the right direction is a better game in every respect as it finally threw away the shackles of tablet development with Director's Cut. Hong Kong started from that point of but didn't impress many people in the story department and too much meandering with not enough story-critical missions. Extended Edition added a mini campaign that's a total hit or miss depending on how much you care about a certain event, but also gives proper closure to Hong Kong.

Shadowrun for the story, Underrail for the gameplay. That's all we ever needed.

The game fucking sucks, deal with it.

>AoD
Deeply flawed but still pretty fun, mostly held up by the writing, setting, and the fact that "choice and consequence" is done okay
>Divinity: Original Sin
It's straight up a damn good game. Better combat and design than classics in the field such as ToEE except its also far less buggy than any of them and has better writing, visuals, and multiplayer to boot
>SotS
Yeah its shit
>S:R
Really bare of content/features and so-so writing
>Dragonfall
Pretty fucking good writing with a lot of mechanical improvements, biggest flaws all relate to the combat not being that deep
>Hong Kong
Even better than Dragonfall, aside from maybe the side-cast
>PoE
It's a perfectly serviceable game that is moderately good in most respects. Its only true flaws are the "balance" work making no combat build feel that fun and the kinda unambitious storytelling
>Underrail
Great atmosphere and lore mixed with good combat, its flawed but still pretty good.
>Wasteland 2
Straight up trash

There's also other good games like Fallout 1.5 or Expeditions Conquistadors, plus some shit ones like Tyranny or Numenara, which you missed

So long as we keep getting Expeditions games, PoE2/DOS2/Copper Dreams aren't bad, and HB return to Shadowrun one day I'm satisfied with how the renaissance went.

Serpent in the staglands was fucking perfect. Underrail was okay, too. Shadowrun is more like a goddamn VN, Wasteland was boring, Age of Decadence was autistic (but still sorta neat), and I don't know what to make of Pillars.

boards.fireden.net/v/search/filename/1323246567.jpg/type/op/

pasta thread do not respond

Nothing went wrong with Underrail, Divinity, AoD if you're into that kind of thing, dunno about the Staglands. Shadowrun are pretty fun for what is basically a tablet game, so check your expectations.
Obshidiot and InXile, though... Muh, nostalgia, muh consoles.

I loved every second of underrail until I tchort institute, where things started to get a bit shit and went downhill from there in every aspect. The final area is a complete shitshow, poorly designed, boring, shit load of back tracking and ridiculous enemies. Made me really sad how the slav dev managed to fuck up so hard at the ending.

What is wrong with Underrail's writing?

Nothing actually. I'm really fond of it but it's kinda amateurish and bloated.

They copied the look and isometric game play of old games but they adopted modern game design which means corridors, lack of setting supremacy, diluted rpg options, bland aesthetics, over emphasis on balance, choice and consequence that seems forced rather.natural, characterization that is more sexuality based in every way possible rather then as foils to the world. ETC

They weren't perfect in their heyday either, but what was great about them has been mitigated by the lazy RPG playing audience of today and companies wants to appeal to them as well as the people actually nostalgic for this.

What do you mean by bloated?

>last past was nearly a year ago
>"pasta"

I finished it it definitely is a 7/10.
And the graphics are pretty fitting for a game that said that it was influenced by darklands.

SJWs mostly.

> PoE, censored for SJWS.
> Divinity, censored for SJWs.
> Wasteland 2, full of SJW bullshit.

Shadowrun might be okay, not played it. Was hoping to play Age of Decadence soon, but, worried it might have a bunch of silly womyn warriors and other bullshit.

No, I agree. With Pillars it's very understandable since it's a original IP where they had to create the world from scratch. Compared to the old D&D games. You could also feel that it tried to hard to be an old game, and not really be its own.
I haven't finished Torment yet, but it feels like a step in the right direction. And PoE 2 will have more to build on, so hopefully if will feel more genuine compared to the first game. And with DOS 2 it seems like they are taking the flaws of the first game to heart and are giving it more actual substance.

I think they are getting there.

xx
xddd
d
dd

Am I the only one who can't play Wasteland 2?
I beat Fallout 1/2, read all dialogs and rarely felt bored. But Wasteland 2 is just unbearable to play, I can't even get passed first few hours.

>>Wasteland 2, full of SJW bullshit.

Wasteland 2 literally has an achievement for helping out fags.

Also you forgot the Shadowrun trilogy is full of SJW bullshit.

God I hate all these games. I miss Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate 2.

There's too much, it's overwhelming at times. When I got to the central hub my head almost overloaded.

DOS isn't an RPG and neither will be DOS2. They should've included Expeditions Viking instead.

I expected games with atleast the same depth as fallout new vegas with different ways to solve problems and choices that mattered but most of these games didn't have that. Only age of decadence actually had it but age of decadence was so fucking hard that I couldn't really enjoy it,I like a challenge but this shit went too far.

Pretty much darklands which is refreshing in a world of planescape jerking.
Also nice to have a a game without any handholding.

H-how isn't DOS an RPG?
And even more, how isn't DOS 2 an RPG? Have you even seen the alpha?

Oh I like Darklands, guess I should give it a try then.

It was boring as fuck user.
It was trash mob after trash mob.

Wasteland 2 is good for ONE playthrough, but its design is constraining and the game has 0 replay value. It has nothing on my yearly replay of Fallout 2.

Yeah, Wasteland 2 started kinda interesting, then that indian chick turned up and the whole situation was done so shitty I just said fuck it and moved on.

I've never played Shadowrun, so, I can't really speak about the content. But, I'm not surprised.

>I have played Pillars of Eternity
>I just want a good nice story and lore
Boy, you get that with Pillars. You spastic.

Ah, took a while for the Codex subhumans to arrive this time.

rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/paradox-admit-tyranny-sold-below-expectations-dlc-still-in-the-works.115226/

>“Obsidian did a great job of capitalising on the timing of Kickstarter and the wave of nostalgia for these type of titles,” goes his hypothesis. “We've seen that most of the titles after Pillars of Eternity, if you look at Wasteland, Torment - they haven't been anywhere near that kind of success. So maybe it's that a lot of nostalgia fed into the initial bubble and that's why. These games have a market, but it's never gonna be that peak [again].”

>Wester shoulders the responsibility for Tyranny’s marketing, which ran with the slogan: 'Sometimes, evil wins.' It was an approach that wisely brought Tyranny’s twist on RPG morality to the fore - but didn’t touch so much on its singular world and cast.

Huh. I wonder who Obsidiots will blame for Tyranny flopping.

As with all Nostalgia fags they Rose tint the good moments and then airbrush the bad moments.

>Remember when I rolled that Natural 20 and that Enemy Mage exploded? Hell yeah that was awesome
>That time I missed 8 consecutive arrow shots in a row? Nah don't remember that

D&D is a fucking atrocious combat system designed for inherent randomness that a GM can build a story around. Without that it's just Quick Save Quick Load fighting

>But at-least the story is decent

You trusted Western developers to write a story in 2017. That's where it went wrong.

It's a hack n slash game with barely any choice and consequence, don't kid yourself.

Nothing.

>stop hating my game ;-;
hehehe

Even Baldur's Gate isn't safe from this SJW garbage. This is from its new DLC/expansion.

People didn't buy them. I fucking loved the renaissance and played,finished and enjoyed most of them released. Yes this includes Tyranny which was especially enjoyable for me.

I feel like most old CRPG gamers are just jaded autists by now which are almost never satisfied no matter what they would get fed.

I'm pretty pissed that many of them didn't sell because I genuinely think they are higher in quality than the "classics" if you take off your nostalgia glasses.

You should man, the setting is pretty unique for these kind of games.
Its basically set in a fantasy iron age slavic myth I haven't seen any settings like it.
Though I have to say that sometimes it can get hard because the game only gives you a journal you have to write yourself and the layout of the local area you are in.

Tyranny was good, I blame the public.

Wow this is trash. All you'd need

>1. Yes?
>2. What is it, midget?
>3. I can be your wench tonight if you play your cards right

I don't even know what codex is.
It was just a boring game with nothing but boring combat.

I can understand this desu, that game was like a 6/10.
The ending also seemed rushed.

Ah, took a while for the Obsidiot subhumans to arrive this time.

>hack and slash game
I agree that it doesn't have C&C, but just because it doesn't doesn't make suddenly make it into a whole different genre.
Basically my point is that RPGs have a spectrum and Divinity is somewhere in the middle-high or something.

>5 different ways to say the exact same fucking thing

This is why cRPG's are dead.

All I wanted was nice quests with choices that change the outcomes preferably depeing on the skills that I leveled on my character.

>I've never played Shadowrun, so, I can't really speak about the content. But, I'm not surprised.

I wouldn't bother. They're basically iOS games. That's the best thing I can say about Pillars of Eternity is that it doesn't feel like it was made for tablets.

Not obsidiot. I disliked PoE but loved Tyranny,

Maybe casuals don't, but these games aren't aimed at casuals now are they?

More like
>Oh daddy I could be yours
>I love it when you call me a wench because I'm a worthless woman
>You're so secy and manly, just like the person playing this game ;)

That's a lot better imo

>Serpent in the staglands was fucking perfect.

I feel like SitS hit a very specific niche, probably even smaller than Age of Decadence. It's just not for most RPG fans. Not to mention playing in anything other than native resolution just upscales the game and that doesn't look good with sprites. Like user said there's a demo and I didn't mind seeing as visuals reminded me of combat sections in Darklands.

Sorry I was jacking off, I can't be looking at dank video game memes and applying my own kek magic all day. I'll try to be more quick in defending based Obsidian in the future.

Tyranny is the worst Obsidian RPG I've ever played and that includes fucking vanilla NWN and DS3. Kill yourself

Dragonfall is fun and fairly well written, but there's no denying that it does have a tablet game feel to it. It also has fairly simplistic combat, I hit end game magic shit half way through the game.

Well, I'm going to be on a flight for 9 hours this week. Is it a good mobile game at least?

Why does Sup Forums hate Pillars of Eternity again?

Based Vilhelm healing niggers left and right.

Paradox. Have you seen any marketing for the game other giving copies to streamers who were totally not just doing it for the money? Then again, Paradox also paid for Tyranny and Obsidian was just doing a contract so fuck it,

They are not 100% the same as your nostalgia google games. Also, oldschool CRPGs are a niche product. And seriously. If I wanted to roll a dice, I'd just play actual DnD

Trash mobs and mediocre everything.

Nigga we explained it already read the thread.

Well that's like your opinion man.

>someone is using the exact same greentext an user used replying to you
Stop. I used midget because I thought he was a dwarf. Turns out he's a human.

30 year old nostalgia-goggle babies.

Darkland bros, give me some tips for how to not suck.
All I remember was traveling to a town and getting into a fight with the guards. Didn't have a chance.

Hello spamfag.

Take your nostalgia goggles off next time.

>still no rpg based on gurps

Why does it always have to be dnd?

Divinity OS and Underrail are pretty good. Age of decadence too if you can handle it.

>what the FUCK went wrong?
Nothing.
All games on that pic with the exception of Pillars of Eternal shit are pretty good.

I killed shitload of bandits in the slum till I got goodish armor and after that I went out into the wilderness killin robber knoghts and stuff.
It seemed to work.

is you honestly think that wasteland 2 is a better game than pillars you should be shot dead

> all those crpg
> and not a single good game

Tyranny's writing is literally fan fic level.

The gameplay is just meh.

codex faggots are here in full force to hate on poe, abandon thread, there is nothing but lost iq points here now

Camp outside till nightfall, pay passage to town, roam streets killing bandits till morning, repeat.
I would also ignore weapon skills mostly at the creation, the melee ones especially rise through the roof after you swing them around in combat for few months.

Or alternatively make a great wise sage, have him brew some pots which you sell for mad profit then kick him out and make your real team.

>Obsidiandrone this mad because Obsidian games are selling like shit

I think that all obsidian drones should be gassed.
New Vegas is shit and so is PoE.

>divinity original sin
>wrong
nigger...

You're right about PoE but New vegas is fucking great.