Basically everything about PoE seems to be overcomplicated and opaque to a newcomer. I don't know shit, familio

Basically everything about PoE seems to be overcomplicated and opaque to a newcomer. I don't know shit, familio.

I have tried looking around on Sup Forums and /vg/ for posts to help beginner players of PoE and the only ones I can seem to find are still too advanced/endgame for me. I've got a few hours into the game already, and I'm still not sure what I'm doing.

I've got some very basic beginner questions that I am hoping to get some help with.

What is it that I am trying to accomplish in this game? Am I just doing story quests and side quests or is there some other goal I should be after?

What is the point of Strength, Dexteriy and Intelligence after getting enough to equip gems?

What is the purpose of all these spell/support gems and shoving them into items? All I can see so far is that it allows you to perform different attacks? But I've got like 15 gem slots in my equipped items and I can't imagine 15 different attacks being reasonable.
What is the point of the different arrangements of the gem slots in items? Why are some next to each other and linked together and some are on top of each other and not linked.

How am I supposed to make any sense out of the skill tree? The sphere grids have sphere grids.

Should I even bother picking stuff up, the selling is cryptic.

Basically everything about PoE seems to be overcomplicated and opaque to a newcomer. I don't know shit, familio.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7GqFLebBU8inlrcqTZFXtIwP362XrdNe
youtube.com/watch?v=s12YBLyEUY0&
github.com/EmmittJ/PoESkillTree
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How anyone be this inept?

Whatever you do, you'll fuck it up at first.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7GqFLebBU8inlrcqTZFXtIwP362XrdNe

THERE YA GO HOMIE

> Strength, Dexteriy and Intelligence

meeting caps for equip and gems

>What is the purpose of all these spell/support gems and shoving them into items

you need linked equip, links allow to link the support gem into active gem

>But I've got like 15 g

most builds spam 1-3 attacks max

>What is the point of the different arrangements of the gem slots in items?

linking int or dex or str support gems to active gems (???)

>ow am I supposed to make any sense out of the skill tree?
skill much health since most atk comes through equip and watch yt for build inspiration (so you can cop it if you like)

poe is ez. People do builds, you cop them. After 10k hours you do builds if you into math

>What is it that I am trying to accomplish in this game?
grindan to level 68 so you can into endgame which is where anything exciting happens

depending on how fast you into endgame, it'll take 10+ hours before you're allowed to have any fun

>People do builds, you cop them
You seriously do this? What's the fun in that
Even if your builds suck, the meat and potatoes of the game for me at least is figuring shit out yourself

I see, thank you.

Its simple.
Im not into math.
I look for cool gems with effects I like, like that lightning gem. And then I google a build.
D3 is better anyway

Are you surprised by this in any way? this happens in just about every fucking game nowadays.

>hur spoonfeed me, I can't into basic arpgs and shiet
>wut I'm not gonna copy sum builds, wuz da fun in that? I wanna figure out shiet by myself like a big boy,

Well make up your god damn mind, you can't ask to be spoonfed and then selectively request to understand shit by yourself when you have a pleb brain.

Are you a woman? because you make no sense.

I believe you have responded to the wrong post
You're right though, after the first few attempts at grabbing what looks good and falling flat on your face, you're reduced to strictly following the highest rated builds on the forums, provided you have the exalts and chaos to back them up.

If they didn't limit multiboxing, I would play it.

Yeah wrong quote, I fucked up like everything I do in life, please just end me.

oh ok

Those are all basic questions that even a baby could figure out, it's not complicated at all fampai

Who were you even responding to? Because I posted and I'm obviously not op

Actual question; are you serious?
Never played PoE but i have a shitload of hours from D3 though i think it dull as fuck. Why do you think it's better?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're sincere in your ignorance.

You play through the four acts three times at three difficulties(mobs scale a bit harder than normal level scaling, and your resistances are reduced by 35% each difficulty.

Path of Exile is made by people who played Diablo 2 for ten billion hours. Most people who play that long get to late game and grind for nine point five of those ten billion hours.

The story is eh, the atmosphere is eh, the gameplay is good.
The "goal" of the game is to get to level 68 and start grinding maps. You assumedly seek out a fun build to play to justify your time spent.

Attributes are for equips in general and you should ignore most else.
Other effects can be unique interactions, like a quiver that boosts siege ballista dramatically based on your dex:
Fig A) youtube.com/watch?v=s12YBLyEUY0&

The other effects are for every ten of an attribute you gain small bonuses. These are just condiments and you don't get attributes FOR them, as they're really inefficient this way:
STR: 5 hp 2% increased phys damage
DEX: 20 accuracy 2% evasion rating
INT: 5 mana 2% energy shield

Gems are your skills, they are the gameplay. They are what you press forever.
The amount of supports you can shove on a gem is a general dps increase and not much else.
Other considerations might be making a skill do more area damage but less damage overall for clearing trash, and vice versa for bosses. You can switch them out on the fly but with the above example you never really want to.

Ideally(as far as the meta is concerned) you want around four or so active skills, a couple of passive skills and the rest supports.

Either a clear/dps skill, or clear and single-target dps separately; a movement skill and a curse or otherwise utility focused spell(like orb of storms to proc elemental equilibrium)

Slots are simply the number of gems you can have. Links determine what support gems affect what.

I'm still unreasonably butthut that PoE ruined a good game by letting me spam Summon Raging Skulls

>Herp Derp just don't use the skill

Fuck that. I created a summoner, I want to use all spells at my disposal. I don't want there to literally be a way to trololol my way through the entire game.

I like the artstyle more
its way more precise in its movement and more responsive, even on the 360 vanilla version
its way more action oriented
it has random events

mind i only play it on the 360 vanilla so I may miss some pros but overall, Im way more content with d3 than any isometrical arpg (ecept for d1 but d1 is too slow on ps1)

They will roughly scale with your leveling experience. Four links is the general standard after you've gone through most of normal difficulty, five is a relatively inexpensive upgrade and probably the general standard, six is luxury as it can be expensive.

socket counts are 3 for one handed items, four for every piece of armor except body, and body armor and two handed weapons have the sought after fives and sixes.
There are some weird "exceptions" but they're all on unique items and fairly self-explanatory.

Gem color determines what gems you can use and they are rolled off an item's base type.
Armor bases go towards STR, energy shield towards INT, evasion towards DEX.
Hybrid items are hybrid in this fashion as well.
This is a small bit of random generation on smaller items, but getting four, five or six pure blue slots on an armor item approaches the lottery winner odds.(Not that you ever really want them 99% of the time).

The passive tree is fairly simple. You want the most useful stuff you can get for the fewest points, what you want in a beginner non-meme build is to do damage and more importantly not to die.

github.com/EmmittJ/PoESkillTree

Duelist, aim for health nodes, grab some 2Hander damage and a bit of armor. Perfectly reasonable.

To start off as a new player pick up yellow items, identify them and sell them as you go, this will build up a decent amount of alterations, more than you will need to sell back for more identify scrolls.

Pick up all uniques in general, most are shit but figuring out why that is the case helps you learn. Also they're shiny and shit.

Other things to look out for are: all three color sockets LINKED together, quality items(mostly just flasks and especially gems, weapons and armor you usually get enough quality currency anyway) Items with six sockets(not linked).
Sell all of them(recipe for quality is 40% quality combined, or 20% in one item, which is the max).
If you somehow get a six link drop, keep it.

Chaos Orbs are the main traded currency if you want to get into trading, and are generally more valuable than using them(unless you have the potential to roll an item worth dozens of them, which you typically won't).

For spells, the level of your gems is the most you can squeeze damage out.
For attack skills, how much damage your weapon does is what matters.

I'd also add that it's a particularly awkward time to play the game.
In mid july the game will launch 3.0, which will add six more acts to the leveling content(most of what you'll be experiencing as a new player), doing away with the three difficulty repeat system I stated before.