Are videogames the worst hobby to have?

Are videogames the worst hobby to have?

>undeniably affect your social life and productive free time
>most online gamers are bitter, angry, unhappy etc., and tend to fly into a fit of rage every single day
>in addition to this it has the most unhealthy fans, vastly overweight
>you buy an expensive console, two years later it's ditched in favor of a new, better version
>most games are disappinting and not very well programmed
>graphics haven't really evolved that much since last gen, stagnant, so they just keep adding more resolutions for a larger price

>posting louis cuck king
>telling anyone else what to do

No I used to think the same, especially cause I fucked up school due to playing games all day long instead of learning.

But I still love video games themselves, I just overdid it, took them too serious and were kinda addicted.

I think video games are totally fine if you do something else every once in a while.

>ndeniably affect your social life and productive free time
stopped reading there. lrn2mng teim.

Definitively the worst

>so expensive to make, will never be as wildly creative as independent music, film, or books will be
>entire industry controlled by powerful corporations that refuse to make risky decisions or stray too far away from established industry trends
>even worse case of sequel-spam than summer blockbuster movies
>lowest standards for storytelling of any medium, despite this most games have the story interrupt or encroach on the gameplay

are other hobby boards on Sup Forums like this, just thread after thread talking about how shit the board subject is?

No, browsing Sup Forums is.

For some reason the people who hate video games keep posting here. It's just board culture now.

"productive" free time? You sound like a cuck. Also socializing is for normalfags
>most online gamers are bitter, angry, unhappy etc., and tend to fly into a fit of rage every single day
Online gaming is shit
>in addition to this it has the most unhealthy fans, vastly overweight
Fat people are not fat because of video games
>you buy an expensive console, two years later it's ditched in favor of a new, better version
You don't have to buy a new console
>most games are disappinting and not very well programmed
Play games that aren't shit
>graphics haven't really evolved that much since last gen, stagnant, so they just keep adding more resolutions for a larger price
Are you blind?

learn to moderate yourself faggot

That would be shitposting on Sup Forums.

Gaming is cancer, really.

It's expensive and time consuming, which means you not only waste your free time but you also waste the time you spend at work.

Games are just a complete waste of time. You get absolutely nothing out of it, unless you're one of the lucky few to make money from eSports or streaming. Worse, they tend to be time consuming with a "short" game sucking six hours out of your life, and an open ended game potentially sucking hundreds or thousands.

Furthermore, the "community" is garbage. For some reason gaming is a nexus of shitty journalism and a breeding ground for political conflict. Just look at the Gamergate nonsense. What a ridiculous industry.

And frankly, they aren't that good. Most games are highly derivative of each other, while the stories and characters are shallow ripoffs of popular movies and TV shows. The games industry is where failed screenwriters reside and it shows. Gameplay typically boils down to variations on minutiae that just barely separates one game from another.

Despite all this and despite overall being juvenile as fuck, the games industry takes itself seriously to a comical extent. Just look at E3. Look at grown ass adults in tailored suits talking about childish fantasies and treating them with 100% seriousness. It stinks of inferiority complex.

Do you know what games are? They're a form of masturbation. Masturbation is tricking your body into thinking you're having sex. Video games are the same thing, except instead of thinking you're having sex you're tricking your mind into thinking it's accomplishing something. That's why so many popular videogames are violent, they're triggering the brain into thinking it has successfully hunted something. And that's why collecting things is such a popular mechanic, it creates an illusion of accomplishment.

Gaming is one of the worst fucking things you can do. There is always something better you can be doing with your time and there's no reason not to do that instead.

>Cuck king

Aren't his kids being raised by another man?

Anti-social people are drawn to video games, video games don't inherently make you anti-social. Unless you play Sonic Or Persona because Futaba is waifu.

>That's why so many popular videogames are violent, they're triggering the brain into thinking it has successfully hunted something. And that's why collecting things is such a popular mechanic, it creates an illusion of accomplishment.
I don't think you understand the concept of "fun"

>louis c.uc.k

>I don't think you understand the concept of "fun"

Take a moment and think about what "fun" means. Ask yourself WHY something is fun. Maybe then you'll get it.

Yep. They make you fat,friendless,with nothing to talk about but video games. You'll never get through to these losers who have given their life to video games though.

Honestly? Yeah, I've been getting burned out on video games lately and I'm noticing all of the shitty things about it as a hobby.

I recently went to a coworker's board game night and I gotta say, it was a fucking blast. It's much more social, since everyone can jump in (if you play starter games or even social deduction games) and can get really in-depth. Plus I like how they're generally just a set of rules, so you and your friends have the option of nixing a rule entirely if it's shitty.

LITTLE

>one of the MAIN POINTS in the original post in that gamers are overly negative and unhappy

>they reply with "HAHA THE KEK LOUIS"

You are still sleeping. You do not want to hear.

It's easy to laugh and hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind.

BBC's are the best hobby tbqhf

>You get absolutely nothing out of it

I will say that playing RPGs as a kid has definitely helped my diction and spelling.

>Work hard labor
>Ask employees what their hobbies are
>Avoiding wife and kids, sleeping, drinking alone
No, videogames are great interactive experience.

Nah, sounds like you're just shit with time management and budgeting.

>Drumpf is literally Hitler
who knew funny people could be stupid too

The one thing I agree on is the marketing and capitalistic nature of the Industry. The hobby feels more like you're at the whim of a business decision of some company than playing someone's vision or personal story they wanna tell. And even when you are playing a personal game it's more times than not you'll stumble on some half finished cash grab that was lazily put together with a story that wasn't even as good as ones you'd find in a book (indie games)

The rest of that stuff doesn't affect me, people being overweight or ruining their lives for video games is their own fault and lack of self awareness or introspection to learn that moderation in everything is key. It's easier to let yourself wallow in shit and make excuses like "well now I'm too old so I better double down and continue being miserable" than it is to put some effort in and take responsibility for your life.

Sup Forums doesn't play video games, so that's irrelevant.

OH MY GOSH I KNOW THAT SONG

OP here, that was one of the main points that turned me off gaming, along with it being so inherently... silly. I was watching E3 these past few days and it was just. so. damn. silly. It didn't feel like I should be invested in it as an adult.

However, the biggest problem with gaming is by far the angry attitude. Notice how most game reviewers have an angry schtick to be relateable. The concept of multiplayer used to be actually fun when you had to gather around with friends, but now that it all became online it has ceased being fun and turned competitive, and that means there's an ego attached to everything. People seriously get deeply angry very easily and most of the posts, here even, are only spewing hatred.

I don't expect anyone to listen to me seriously, but there's gonna be a point in your life when you're gonna stop and seriously regret realizing that the only thing you projected into the world was a negative pile of abuse.

you find e3 silly because most of what's shown at e3 these days aren't game, they're QTE movies. gameplay used to be the priority. that's gone now.

i mean, go back and play a game like megaman X. that shit is STILL fun as an adult. the last of us and its 5 clones released this e3 though? those aren't even video games.

I've lost taste over the years. I don't even play games to have fun but just to kill time until work. Every now and then maybe one title out of a dozen catches my eye but mostly games just feel too mechanical and uninspired nowadays.

The last game I've played that i've actually genuinely had fun was MGS3. Everything else afterwards just feels like fighting an uphill battle for enjoyment.
Games are annoying and repetitive and most of all feel like a chore.

smoking is the only way i can blow off steam but now i'm getting tired of it

wow this blurb of text applies to every form of media someone uses as a hobby

I don't know if this is just vidya related. I find that a lot of people in my day to day (school, work, etc etc) are just miserable. I'm 25 and this is my 2nd year of college because I was a neet, and I find so many people go out of their way to put me down and remind me of how fucked I am because I'm 25 in college, now i have tons of opportunities opening up to me and none of them have a single positive thing to say or any apologies for trying to deter me from growing. Yet these same people do absolutely nothing to change their situations, they're 30+ working retail still making 12 bucks an hour at best, drinking their lives away and avoiding any type of personal growth by focusing on the faults of others. I'm sorta rambling, but I think a lot of people in general just age badly and don't know how to cope with the fact that life throws you curveballs and most likely won't turn out how you expect or hoped without some effort on your own part.

I hope I don't sound condescending, I know everyone's struggle is different, so I don't mean to sound like an asshole when I just point out my observations

Anger is a natural reaction when meeting with personal failure. Gaming with friends is typically very casual, gaming with people you don't know and may not always get along with can be volatile. Particularly with online games Schadenfreude is very common, along with criticism. People don't always react well to either of those and that anger compounds, but if it's with friends it's probable they're just taking the piss out of the situation. The same could be said of many general situations, not just video games. Video games don't teach people to be negative, it's other people, and in many online games you work with many more people that aren't bound by niceties. It's the consequence of communicating from long distances with zero consequences for being negative. Even then, gentle people who do not react are pushovers, and many of them find their limits tested when met with so many people. Often when I am chastised by teammates for making a bad call I simply explain my perspective as collected as possible, and that usually deflates their anger (or they don't wish to reply).
This isn't something strictly relevant to video games, again, this is something to do with communicating to a massive amount of people in general.

those oldfolks are just pieces of shit dead-end losers who have no way out. they don't own the world anymore nor will they ever so they like to put younger people like you down to make them feel better.
If anything, your decision to going to school is praiseworthy user. i'm rootin' for you

Anything active is better than passive shit like movies, music and books where you have nothing to do except receiving the thoughts of someone else.

Making art yourself, developping skills in sports, vidya and crafts, thinking and philosophizing. That's where it's at. No wonder why Sup Forums and Sup Forums have the shallowest discussions on this site.

Thanks a lot user, genuinely appreciate it. I hope things go well for you too. The world needs more empathetic people.

not liker there is anything better to have as a hobby that doesnt require a lot of effort

Videogames give me a lot of happiness and joy. When I'm not having fun with a game I stop playing it.

Underrated.

Video games are designed to give the player a psychological reward. This reward is a feeling of satisfaction, 'job done!'

Usually, there are three types of activity which give this feeling. One type has positive, material results, like work and study. This type is the most difficult and so a lot of people are unable to fulfill the requirements and so get no feeling of satisfaction. Others are put off by the difficulty and look elsewhere for the feeling of satisfaction.

The other type of activity has some material rewards, but less. These activities are sports, exercise, learning a socially valuable skill like cooking or music, or anything that will draw people to the person who practises the skill well. They won't provide as much satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment as having the direct financial and social-status success that the first category has (unless you become remarkably professional in one of this sort of activity -- unlikely), but they will have a significant positive psychological effect on the individual.

The last category has no material rewards but still offers a minor psychological reward. These activities are not socially valued and provide nothing other than a small, personal feeling of satisfaction. Video games is in this category. The challenges are easier to accomplish than any of the above and provide no real-world, tangible benefits to the individual or the people around them. Because of this, they are not valued. Nonetheless the individual can still get a feeling of satisfaction from these sorts of task and so they're worth doing for this reason in some small sense.

If you have a low IQ or some cripplling psychological problem, it makes sense that you'd be relegated to the 3rd category, but a lot of people who are smart and have good potential restrict themselves to this category as well, which is a waste. Some people are just too busy as well, though.