This is unironically the best Total War game

this is unironically the best Total War game

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=873820004&searchtext=unit size
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

this is unironically the best cancer

>this is unironically the best Total War game
Empire management is somewhat simplified, but everything related to combat is the best in the series, including sieges.

I loved shogun to medieval2. Took a break, came back to warhams, and i hate everything about it. The fuck happened in those few years?

>The fuck happened in those few years?
You developed shit taste.

arguable, but it definitely destroyed the fanbase.

> No naval combat.

Naval combat is a meme that no one touched.

It's shit. Rome 1 with mods is the best. Remember mods CA you fucking sellouts?

Siege and Naval were always the worst parts of the franchise, but I would still prefer old sieges to the new ones. That said, would require too much work to make all the unique big cities unique maps. I don't think its possible to make naval combat good, on this engine atleast.

>b-buh muh medieval 2

CA went full retard.
Implemented their awfull new engine that doesn't work well with melee so they could play around with gunpowder units in Empire, while at the same time simplifying leader and city management.
Then they decided to carry over the horrible engine to their next melee centric games, which made sure they all played and felt like crap. Obviously the last scraps of leader and city management was also completely thrown out the window. Just stick to Rome and Med 2 with mods.

Naval in Empire was sort of fun, it was actually a viable play strategy to focus on navy too, by building your own trade and blockading others.

>being a fantasy pleb

What's the rarest TW achievement you've unlocked?

>it was actually a viable play strategy

Everything is viable in that shit show of a game. You can siege and capture London in two days as France because the AI sucks at battles.

Is it worth picking up during the sale guys?

One of the best things about the game. And thank fuck it's staying that way in the sequel.

Calvary is the best its ever been atleast. Calvary stopping at the lines was so fucking anti-climatic and really just stupid.

I am contemplating buying this but are the DLCs worth it or should I be fine with just the base game. Because the DLCs seem kinda expensive.

>Calvary

Nah, man.

Maybe in some aspects, but that's cause is the latest game.
For a newcomer, I think is a good starting game. Either this or Shogun 2.
>including sieges.
This is bait.
Sieges are probably the worst of the series.
They are not even sieges. There's just a wall. A wall. Not even stairs or... No. A wall. People magically appears on top of it when they get close.
Towers are stupid.
Street fight is... Well, I guess you could say there is some. And ambient and atmosphere are pretty cool.

The base game is fine, iirc you still fight the dlc factions in single player even if you don't buy the dlcs

Playing without the DLC is fine as long as you don't mind not playing as the other factions. The DLC factions will still appear in the campaign - you just can't play as them. The blood DLC just adds a visual blood effect during battles.

Yeah, I am just afraid of missing out on potentially cool and strong factions.

What are you, a heathen?

I'd say so.
A shame you didn't get in the humble bundle months ago.
11 euros for this? Hell yeah.

DLC's are... fine.
Imo, only 2 are great. Wood elves, cause is some new shit and they work like no other race in the base game.
And the goblin and dwarf race pack. It brings 2 new factions, with different goals and ways to play than the vanilla orks and dwarfs.
Also, regiments of renown. You want this shit cause a lot of mod use them.
Also, regiments of renown are kinda broken and make the game much, much easier.

The human and vampire race pack is shit. Bad leaders, meh units, but again, cool regiments of renown.

Beastmen is ok. If that's your thing, go for it.

Chaos pack is bad. Is a bad DLC with a bad race and feels unfinished.

>Because the DLCs seem kinda expensive
They are. They went maximum jew. That said, they're pretty good content, only overpriced as fuck.

Wood Elves are especially fun. The dwarf + greenskin one adds two new starting factions. The empire + vamp one doesn't add new factions, they're all integrated into the main factions. Chaos campaign is repetitive and boring as fuck, but their legendary lords are fun. Beastmen is the only one I don't have so I can't say how good it is.

If you're really interested you can still buy a faction you like later when it's on sale or something

One of the fun things about Med 2 and Rome is how you can exploit the ai to expand really fast. It's ten times better than the Shogun 2 idea of how these games should be played though, where you can't do anything other than ashigaru spam to take a city, wait a few turns and then proceed to the next city down this super fun and varied linear funnel which makes up the entire map.

Empire even with all it's bugs and bad design choices still had a ton more replayability, and many different viable playstyles. You could actually bunker down and build province improvements and gain from it, while in Shogun 2 you'll stagnate because you either spam ashigaru or you don't even bother.

The star fort sieges in Empire were so stupid it's amazing.

Then you should get the DLCs.

No it didn't.

Beastmen are like a fun chaos, you run around the map fucking everything up and ambushing man filth

Because GW killed fantasy in favor of Age of Shitmar.

You could have thrown the WHFB name on just about anything and people would cling to it.

I agree.
Yet they were better than the sieges we have now.

The best thing you say about is is ''Well, at least they are no invisible, auto-resolve battles like the naval ones''.

The whole debacle has been hilarious.
>CA makes it very clear that they intend to make a trilogy of WH standalone expansions that combine together.
>Start teasing the next Total War game while making it very clear it's WHFB related.
>Teaser site is a animated image of a steamy jungle with aztec style temples in the background and the sound of dinosaur roars playing.
>YUP, THIS LOOKS LIKE TOTAL WAR: CHINA
>Turns out it's not China.
>WOOOOOW WHAT THE FUCK CA IT'S ONLY BEEN A YEAR SINCE THE LAST ONE YOU FUCKING JEWS GIVE US ANOTHER HISTORICAL GAME.

This, passed Medieval 2 Total War I lose all investment in my generals.

Medieval 2 and down you could feel like you're rping a noble who goes from a nobody at 16 to a veteran at 30 with his own unique virtues and vices.

Now it's just
>good cavalry commander +1 to cavalry

Beastmen is like Chaos, only fun. Their unique campaign sucks, though.

>Direct X 11
So, Win 8/10 only?

>TOTAL WAR: CHINA
I still think this is hilarious

You should play warhammer then. Its lords actually matter.

Buy the game, pirate the dlcs.

You must play on normal. Spamming yari ashigaru is really only viable playing as Oda. For other clans you want a full samurai stack for your offensive stack and ashigaru stacks for defense and offensive backup.

Lol no. I fucking love Warhammer, but the game's flaws are apparent after just some hours in.

H-how do you do that?

The series accidentally fell on its sword when it released Empire.
Napoleon deflected the blow internally so the wound wasn't fatal.
Then lightning struck CA's offices and with divine assistance they forged Shogun 2 and FOTS, the two greatest Total War titles we have yet seen.
Unfortunately as the magic wore off, CA were too deep in the weeb phase and they decided to commit sudoku. This was known as Rome 2.
Easily the most anticipated title in the franchise's history, CA somehow nailed their feet to the ground before leaving the starting gate.
Although eventually turning Rome 2 into a passable title, and releasing Attila; which while poorly optimized was close to the quality of Shogun 2 and moved forward campaign depth more than it ever had before: It was Rome 2 onwards that CA's audience has taken up the tradition of throwing rotten fruit at them in the form of negative steam reviews. By either CA or SEGA's fault, it's not quite clear but their DLC practices have entered into the abusive definition, this is the only fault people find with TW titles on steam reviews but take at the very least a standard 20% chunk out of the overall reception.

Then there was Warhammer, which was very well done as a product. It gained CA a far larger audience, and they were pretty damn transparent during the development process(IE: The opposite of Rome 2's development). If you listen to the retards you'll hear screeches of it forever shattering the franchise's audience into history and fantasy camps, but you can ignore that.

I'm not exactly sure, as I've pirated everything, but I'm sure if you dig somewhere like cs.rin.ru you can find how.

You can run it on any OS
Dx11 is optional

Haven't played Rome 2 since it launched, but I remember the sieges being one of the few things I thought they did pretty well.

My favourites are still Rome and Med 2 sieges. Med 2 feels and works better overall, while Rome has greater scope.

Same here, this was the biggest reason why I got so autistically into the early TW games. Try Stainless Steel with the submod version of BGR (byg's grim reality) sometime, it jacks up the difficulty by limiting recruitment and making leaders much more important.
12/24 turns per year, you choose how much manpower you want to recruit each spring, and the amount of manpower you bring up is all you get to spend that year. Each unit is given a manpower value between 1 and 3 for recruiting.
And as you get larger only the Faction Heir and Leader are allowed to go on campaigns, while other generals might be punished or exiled if they do the same on their own accord. You'll also have to march out and meet hostile armies before they lay siege unless you want your general to gain negative traits. It's pretty cool.

I play h/h as standard, always vh battles and h campaign on the pre-warscape engine games.

>Then lightning struck CA's offices and with divine assistance they forged Shogun 2 and FOTS, the two greatest Total War titles we have yet seen.
>chuunis actually believe this

You need to believe something crazy when CA makes games that good.

Shogun 2 = FOTS > Medieval 2 > Rome = Warhammer = Attila
They're all good titles, then in the average and bad corner respectively you've got Napoleon, Medieval and Rome 2.
Shogun and Empire are the worst two.

Medieval would be the best in the series but its omnipresent bugs are just too prevalent and not even a modding scene that spectacular can fix them.

Rome > Med 2 > FOTS = Empire >>> Shogun 2 > Rome 2

Not even counting mods, in which case Rome and Med would be securely on top, with Empire on a solid third and both Shoguns right at the bottom.

;^)
You one o' them arr' rook same lads ain'tcha?

It sucks like every other TW game after M2.

>only way to properly control an army is to zoom out until they're just a colored blob with a flag over them
>watch your blob hit their blobs until flags start flashing
>respond accordingly
>fight until flags start disappearing
>either lose the battle or clean up the routing enemies
>rinse, repeat until the map is painted

I understand WHY they scaled unit sizes down: Realism. In Rome and M2, units were larger and buildings were smaller. But they went in the wrong direction with this.

At least in Empire I can kind of enjoy unit details and fighting animations because I can just stop them in a line and have them shoot at each other for a few minutes.. But this completely fucking falls apart in melee-centric combat where I need to constantly attend to my center, right and left flank to prevent disasters and exploit successes.

Newer TW games are falling prey to the same problem that RPGs did when they transitioned from Baldur's Gate into games like Skyrim or Mass Effect: They tried to simulate reality depending on graphics instead of mechanics, and generally fail on both fronts for a variety of reasons. Doing this also JACKS UP the budget on these games while significantly hampering gameplay. It's lose-lose.

Literally every single line of greentext applies to pre-warscape titles as well you mong.

>Use armies to defeat each other
>Manage an empire in the meantime
>Just like every other Total War
WARHAMMER SUCKS REEEEE

>watch your blob hit their blobs until flags start flashing
Rome and med 2 also had some of this, especially building stacks of full heavy cav in med and just charging straight at the enemy general or a weak unit to cause full rout.

Otherwise I agree though, unit mechanics in warscape doesn't handle melee combat very well. Units blob up instead of forming actual lines likey they did really well in Rome and Med, especially when using mods.

How to fix TW:
Making battles longer and bloodier and putting more emphasis on tactics and good use of units, while at the same time fixing and greatly expanding the city building and leader management.

The optimal result would be that each individual battle feels important and offers varied approaches, while the world map (which is where you spend most of your time) becomes a lot more interactive.

You should be able to build large cities, watch them grow, specialize them (not in the arcadey fashion warscape games does this), and better yet build new ones. Imagine something like the villages that grow in Empire mixed with the permanent fixed ones in Shogun 2. You can buy/build them in the city queue and expand them like mini-cities with their own build trees, possibly even choosing where you want your city (with some sort of limit or cap) and integrate them into a resource system so you are inclined to build manufacturing somewhere and agriculture somewhere else (again, not in the arcadey and unimmersive way Rome 2 does this).

>Manage an empire in the meantime
They've severely limited management in every game following Empire.

yep

The blobbing isnt even a thing anymore
And all your suggestions are quite generic tbfh
I dont even fucking know what you mean by "specializing but not like warscape (which isnt even an engine thing,just design choice)"

>The blobbing isnt even a thing anymore
What game are you playing?

The way Rome and Med 2 did it by extensive building trees. Instead of limiting how you build your city by which out of 4-6 generic building trees you choose, you go back to the way it worked when what sort of units you could recruit was determined by the size of your city.

Large cities became unit producers, and you could build barracks, temples, smiths, guilds and other buildings to improve the quality of certain units produced there. And you could do the same with economy by building various buildings to increase trade, build mines, expand agriculture and so on, in cities too small to support units. You wouldn't be limited in number or scope of buildings, you'd be limited by economy and population growth. It gives freedom back to the player, and makes the in-game universe a lot more immersive.

>which isnt even an engine thing,just design choice
Cities no longer expanding, and thus forcing new units to be aquired through technology seems like an engine thing to me, but I could be wrong. It's a terrible design choice either way.

teach me how to Gelt.

this guy seems like the weakest shit ever but I like his character.

halp

lore of metal is ass

>teach me how to Gelt.
Don't

>the campaign mode is what i was expecting when i bought this as my first total war game
>it is kind of like civ, but better for me since i prefer combat and army raising and shit
>2 players max

What the fuck

If i wanna play with more than 2 people i have to play this 1-round only team builder and i dont even know what's good, what bullshit

well first off his mount is bugged, it should unlock at 12 but its 21, get a mod to fix that. i would say have 2 captains with him also on flying mounts and dive bomb the enemy general then hit them with his -armor spell

Can't wait to defend Fortress gates from smelly skinks in the second one.

Game is repetetive as fuck.
If you've played played through it once, you might aswell uninstall the game.

>fantasy
>pleb

I prefer fantasy because if you're not a marine of some sort with a gun you aint shit in 40k but at least in fantasy a vagabond can kill a lesser chaos spawn with a critical rock throw or two

Good luck with those genestealers and tyranids, or even just paltry enemies if you're not a big fuckin supersoldier with a machine gun though

>2017
>Warhammer

Anybody can get there hands on one of these and turn everything in front of them into a molten pile of goo

I much prefer warhammer to DnD

>t. jealous EternalCrusade player
Also, how does it feel that Warhammer gaming is ended?

You could do a hotseat campaign. You and a group share a save game that you rotate after you've done your turns. Only auto-resolve allowed against other players. The way it worked with med 2 was that you put in a password when it was your factions turn, and the host had a general password in case a player quit or whatever.
Then you send the save game round aa you complete your turns. It's a hassle but works somewhat.

It's probably too heavy for a peasant to even lift

Say it to Cadian

how do i bretonnia?
the peasant shit really limits the crusades and i can't kill anyone to save my life

You can knock around Scotland or France early, turtle and build up your cities, or recruit a core set of units and then join the next crusade. You'll be able to recruit a ton crusader units as you travel, you only need like 1/3 of a stack when you head out.

The day TW2 was announced has to be the day which the TW franchise experienced the biggest butthurt in its history.

>build industry so it doesn't matter that your peasants are off fighting

>don't give a shit about how many peasants die, their job is to stick around and die until your cavalry can rear charge

>get lightning strike, Bretonnia can't win against larger numbers because their infantry don't get kills, so if the enemy can encircle you and tie down your knights, you are fucked, but a proper Bretonnia army can 1v1 anything, so get lightning strike

>get 6 units of pox arrow peasant archers stat, they are insanely good

>your lords and heroes are absolute beasts and can hold a large part of a battle line themselves, so send them into the middle, get the enemy to bunch up trying to kill him, and use arrow volleys and spells to massacre the enemy army

>You don't have to expand at all, just build up a solid area and make sure you can defend it then go crusading and make friends with the dwarves for some sweet trade

> Bretonnia army can 1v1 anything
excuse me you made a mistake here, i think u meant to type chaos

can you raise enormous armies yet? a couple thousand (medieval 2 on "huge" unit size) just isn't enough.

what do you need?
an army on huge is anywhere from 2000-3000, and you can have 2 of them on each side at once before reinforcements peter in when old units die.
There is a mod that doubles unit sizes to make that 4-6k, and in multiplayer you can do 3v3 but taht is locked at normal unit size so it isn't the biggest you can get.

Is there a game that is bigger cuz I'd love to play it. is Cossacks 3 any good?

10k and up

well with that mod you can control 10k by having 2 armies always reinforcing eachother, but the game starts to break down a bit even on good PCs

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=873820004&searchtext=unit size

>they've severely limited management in every game following empire

>somebody actually thought sticking merchants in Timbuktu every game was fun

It was hilarious. Especially since people actually thought it was going to be history related when it clearly wasn't.

The problem is that they keep improving the graphics at the expense of scale or depth

I dont want a prettier total war,just give me more units on the field or better AI or better map scale on the campaign map

>but muh historicals

Dorfs deserve everything they get. Your faggy book should be used for toilet paper.

Just buy the game to show your support and download the game + dlc from whichever website you pirate shit from.

I want to murder everyone that bought Warhammer.

FUCK all you people for permanently ruining historic total war games.

You can bet your ass when the next historic total war games sells weakly compared to warhammer they will drop it altogether and make some bullshit 40k/lord of the rings/star wars bullshit.

Just a reminder for people that are interested in warhammer. YOU CAN PIRATE IT NOW SO PLEASE DON'T BUY IT.

Just go full horsefucke, nigger. Grail Guardians, Grail Knights and Royal Pegasus Knights with a LoL damsel on top is all you'll ever need.

>Total War: Age of Sigmar

Warhammer has worse graphics than Rome 2, actually. And much better performance as a result. And more units can be achieved by anyone who's not a complete and utter retard, you just change a few numbers in the editor.

>orcs run from every single fight as soon as any little thing goes wrong

how is it that every single warhammer game manages to fuck up orcs

>40k
Relax dude
Copyright problems with Berserk and Blizzard