Just letting you guys know that this is a really mediocre game with absolutely fucking terrible dude dark souls lmao...

Just letting you guys know that this is a really mediocre game with absolutely fucking terrible dude dark souls lmao design decisions, prepostorous art design and absolutely fucking godawful setting. Gas the shills, save your money.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VSl1cMB1j7M
youtube.com/watch?v=au5-jOgVzJg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

IS THIS user EVEN SERIOUS

I dunno op I'm enjoying it :^)

it's fun

>absolutely fucking terrible dude dark souls lmao design decisions
Never played a Souls game. What did he mean by this?

It will be impossible to talk about this game during the sale. Please avoid Hollow Knight threads for the next couple weeks.

>fucking terrible dude dark souls lmao design decisions
Seems like someone doesn't have enough IQ to beat either Dark Souls or Hollow Knight

its just another flavor of the month indieshit
just let it run its course

It's decent.

It's not the second coming of Christ, though, and I can see why you'd be overexposed to the combination of fan and maybe some legitimate shill threads.

When you die in Hollow Knight, you lose your currency and some of your magic meter, echoing the Souls' games popularized "bloodstain retrieval" mechanic.

I'd say it's fine. Your death spectre's spawn is moved to a safe-to-fight location, unlike say Shovel Knight's implementation of currency loss which saw you spamming the fishing rod in hopes of getting it.

Nice arguments, broski. I was there since DeS. 400 hours in PTDE, I can't even remember the number of playthroughs, because I never really cared for that in the first place. Hollow Knight is unbearably bad. Next.

>bloodstain mechanics... but now IT LIVES!!!
I'll give you just that for now. Defend this, I'll patiently wait.

>some legitimate shill threads.

It's literally just one false flagger making a bunch of retarded faggots angry and paranoid over nothing.

It's actually concerning how much influence one false flagger can have over Sup Forums.

>dude darksouls lmao
Bosses are pretty fucking fair though, you won't be blindsided by a 90% damage hit with a tiny tell.
Just because the story isn't in your face and there's a currency retrieval thing upon death doesn't mean it's 'souls lmoa'

>Defend this, I'll patiently wait.
Well, roguelikes have been doing it since like kingdom fuck. Defeat your previous character to get your shit back and all.

Demon's Souls didn't invent it or nothing.

it's a pretty solid metroidvania with tight controls and beautiful environments and atmosphere

Sure, and I'm Miyazaki Hidetaka. I have a Hollow Knight t-shirt and I'm here just to laught at you.

HK's doppelgänger is clearly inspired by Souls though.
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

>HK's doppelgänger is clearly inspired by Souls though.
How? There's nothing like that in Souls. Souls is just a puddle on the ground that you collect.

>save your money

I am saving my money.
By buying this game while it's on sale instead of full price. Saving money buying an excellent game seems pretty good.

Well, it is just currency. In roguelikes you'd get all the shit. Most of it. Depends on the game.

>HK's doppelgänger is clearly inspired by Souls though.
Yeah, but still, I'd say it works. It's not like it is, well, Demon's Souls where they'd cut your life in half and you'd accept it because you need that world to stay on Pure White tendency.

Nier Automata's death system is more similar to Dark Souls than Hollow Knight's and I have NEVER heard someone complain about it or call it derivative.

It's a 20 hour game that can be professionally spedrun in an hour. There is a lot of backtracking.

Still a better game then most to come out. Its art looks freaking great, but you must have pretty shit taste.

Almost like it's a Metroidvania.

Souls and HK's bloodstains are based on collecting the currency. Exept you have to just press the button in the former, while the latter requires you to fight "your inner self xd". same argument applies to NieR:A, when it takes some time to recollect your body but you still remain vunerable

>need high iq to beat a game

heh

I dunno anything about either of those games OP but that bug is pretty cute I better buy it and play it

>missing the point that hard
You must be in the double digits

It has many cute bugs.

Calling out shit taste while enjoying the 2nd rate Tim Burtonesque/PG13 disney subdivision's flick is bad for your health :^)

>game gets spammed on Sup Forums
>Sup Forums's contrarian reflex is so strong that it automatically pushes back and hates it for no concrete reasons

if you die you drop all your money that becomes worthless halfway through the game and if you die again before getting it back you lose it all forever

I got it from the sale and so far it's well worth it. I think the art direction is cute without being obnoxious. Combat is challenging but rewarding. If I had one complain it would be the map, I would like it to be more detailed once you've been someplace.

It's a Metroidvania. Of course there is backtracking to get to places where you saw a thing that you couldn't do anything with the first time. It's not like it's particularly overbearing or that backtracking is necessarily bad though.
A lot of games can be speedrun rather fast so it's not like that's particularly bad, also no indication if it's glitchless or not.
And 20 hours seems like a pretty low amount of time unless you don't aim for full completion.

It didn't even get spammed until after the contrarian reflex hit and ironic threads started emerging.

I don't really like the map system in general, how you have to sit at a bench to mark down new areas

one of my favorite parts of a metroidvania is filling out the map and when you have to wait until a bench to see if you missed any alt paths, it's kind of annoying

Good to know some people aren't totally autistic

Yeah, the speedrun times are just fine for a game like this

Yeah.

I also wish it marked bits that you need the double jump or something to get to. Just a tiny little white ledge on the map or something. That's a bitch to keep track off.

I mean you can 200.6% speedrun SOTN in like three hours if you know what you're doing, that's ridiculously lenient.

The game is good and pretty iconic with its ghibli/disney- esque style.Gameplay is rather simple but tight.I also like the dark atmosphere surronding it despite the caricaturized mood.

>It's good. Not amazing, just good.

Forget the arrow

Are there moths in this game? I'll pick up the Switch version anyway.

I bought this on a whim for full price and got 50 hours out of it. I enjoyed every single one of those hours.

There's a couple of sad OCs in the obvious kickstarter cemetery that are moths.

Speedrun times seem fine. Not ridiculously short yet not extremely long. 40-50 minutes seems fine for a game like this.

You seem to think that professionally speed running a game should take hours. You have to be full autist to think an enjoyable and interesting speedrun should take upwards of more than 2-3 hours.

Moths are pretty significant in the game, actually.

This.

>Hollow Knight run at SGDQ

There are a couple of moth or moth like bugs in the game. Nothing to special tho.

>ever falling for the Sup Forums's memes
Sup Forums has shit taste in video games, come on OP you know this.

Trigger warning
youtu.be/VSl1cMB1j7M
What I loved most about this place was all the retainers bowing down and giving their "OOOOOOH" adoration.

So why the fuck aren't we allowed to like this game again? What made it get targeted? Or did it just not get liked by one really fucking autistic man and he's the one spamming these threads about an ok game that everyone else is already done with.

I mean, I fully expect OP to start shouting about how he likes Ike, throwing tea in the Boston harbor, and finally waging holy war against the Cathars.

It's too good, people now dislike it just to be contrarian.

I fucking loved white palace

Can you explain whats good about it to me?
I don't think its bad or anything its just that from the bits I've looked up about it, it looks like its got pretty shit combat and while the art style is nice its also a bit drab.

I was looking it up cause I wanted a new game for my Switch but I would much prefer something like Dead Cells gets ported and play that.

Have all the vids I've watched just not gotten to the cool combat yet or something?

if i really like metroidvania games but i hate dark souls would there still be a chance of me liking this game?

Yeah it's really nothing like Dark Souls.

I say that as a shitter who likes King's Field and Dark Souls. Money is fucking useless in this game anyway.

I love the metroidvania genre, but everything that can be seen in the trailers looks so fucking boring. Both gameplay and visuals. I can't help but feel like I'm gonna regret buying it if I do buy it.

Just pirate it then. Who cares.

I got this on sale on a whim but now I'm doubting myself.I
s it spooky? Does anything like, intentionally try to scare you? I've been playing for a half hour and while I really enjoy the overall atmosphere and art direction, I'm constantly on edge expecting some scary shit.

Game is great, you just can't handle losing.

Yeah, there's a couple of areas where they pull that. You'll know when you get to them, though, the majority of the adventure is somber but light-hearted adventure.

It has tons of colorful areas later on, only the first area is grey caves.

It's actually a good game, but it's popular so you don't like it.

>buying sidescrollers ever

One or two area are kinda scary.

>tfw we have reached Monster Hunter status, where we start the threads exclusively with b8
I'm glad this game has reached this status of adorement.

>the majority of NPCs get 2-3 lines of dialogue
>then they go and give Zote his 57 precepts coming out to something like 150 lines of dialogue all in one fucking go

Dies in like 3 hits before it can even attack.
Attack this, I'll patiently wait.

Is it just atmospheric or are there actual jumpscares and shit? I'm very cowardly when it comes to vidya, Undertale kept me up at night and parts of LISA scared the shit out of me.

thanks for the heads-up, didn't really care about it until now, buying it ASAP lol

There's jumpscares.

RIP user.

thanks
i don't care about penalties on death or anything like that, i just don't like the character movement and combat in dark souls
i kinda had a feeling everyone was comparing it to dark souls for dumb reasons (which tends to happen a lot with things and comparisons) but i just wanted to make sure in this thread

Nothing too bad.
I couldn't play games like Amnesia or even Lone Survivor, but this is fine.

400% guaranteed probably by the devs themselves

Undertale kept him up at night.

no one says you can't like it you spaz. It has been spammed due to the sale on steam and since it's not for everyone you get threads like these after all the dicksucking threads.

I know this game is bug-aesthetic, and I really hate bugs

is there anything as gross and scary as the giant spider in limbo

RIP me, I should probably refund it but I'm gonna power through anyway.
The difference between me and you is that you gave Amnesia a try. My friend streamed it and I couldn't even watch her play.

Hollow Knight is the best exemple of what happens when good designers and composers join terrible programmers to make a game. It's a beautiful game, but gameplay is really awful.

Yeah, the economy in this game is fucked. I remember thinking that losing your money was far too harsh of a penalty, then at the end I lost something like 30 thousand geo and I just didn't care.

That and at the halfway point in the game you get collectable items that exist soley for you to sell for money. If you just hang onto them they basically work like soul items in DaS, but they're worth a fuckton of money.

The combat gets a real mega man zero vibe to it once the game fully gets rolling. You get some powerful offensive magics and you get to use them fairly often as magic refills every time you strike an enemy. You also use magic to heal and healing is risky, so you need to weigh your options and figure out what's best to burn your magic on.

Most areas are pretty dark, but there are definitely a few that are fairly bright. The game has a lot of diversity in design once you get into the different areas.

Honestly, if your that skeptical just pirate it and then buy it later if you enjoy it, the game takes a little while to really get going and you won't be able to hit that 2 hour refund mark in time to fully see the game.

in what way? the combat is simple and serviceable, and all the movement options feel good

It has its moments.

It doesn't go for horror like Limbo does, and it doesn't drop that safe Ghibli aesthetic like Limbo just gleefully tears its characters apart, but there's definitely a few bits that're a tad fucked.

Mimic transformation comes to mind. That got me off guard.

Too late, I already like it. Sorry OP.

>I don't like [genere] therefore the gameplay is awful
The controls are really tight and precise, the platforming fun and challenging at times, combat is decent for a meteroidvania.
What more do you want?

Whats a game with similar gameplay that's better?

I was cautious with all the vocal negativity towards the game, but I grabbed it on special and I absolutely loved it. I only got 98% completion but I got the true ending, all the items and upgrades.
I'm actually wondering why there is a vocal negative opinion of the game at all.

More?

There's an entire zone that's basically really dark and full of enemies that sneak up on you and attack. Some of them are spiders, others are pull bugs, and the area can be pitch black if you don't get this lantern item first

I like the combat a lot honestly. If anyone's on the fence about the combat, this should give a good demonstration of how it works out.

youtube.com/watch?v=au5-jOgVzJg

I think that, if there's ONE thing HK does successfully, it's the sound design. Particularly in the sewer and spider areas.

I'm 11 hours in and I think it's pretty good. Though I'm lost right now and the only option is to constantly revisit areas until you find a place that utilizes an ability that you didn't have before. It's annoying.

I actually agree. I'm especially disappointed at Unity, which makes this game that looks like a PSP title run relatively crappy.
Not to mention the devs are all SJWs

Really? I'm like 20 hours in, and if there's one thing this game does it's just give you like 4 or 5 ways to go at any one time that'll probably result in something.

It is pretty annoying that the places where you can use the double-jump, downthrust aren't marked on the map, though. I hope there's an endgame map-pin that marks collectables Metroid style.

>above average indie game is released
>some people praise it as GOTYAY perfect game because it hits their personal preferences
>other people play it expecting their wildest dreams to be fulfilled
>its just an above average indie game
>reee why did you lie to me fucking shills

every fucking time

That's pretty standard Metroidvania fare.

Doesnt seem to hard to do. But i would need to put up a map on my second screen or i would get lost.
I get lost really quickly

No? The map directly shows you where you haven't been yet. It's still definitely easy to waste time since you can spend tons of it exploring somewhere and then you get some useless money and still have 8 different areas you haven't explored and don't know where to go to advance.

>tfw you like the gray caves more than forest area

>the first time you enter Greenpath
>the flutes start playing

Hollow Knight might very well be GOTY though. It's just a clean metroidvania experience with good graphics, movement, combat, and bosses.

Jeusus Christ this guy is so bad.