Fighting game players:

Fighting game players:
>Characters are NOT functions! We love to play as our favorites!

Also fighting game players:
>Stages are just functions; we demand to play on the boring training grid stage every match.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WRHi9oyMXqE
youtu.be/knJxiYdZVa0?t=807
youtu.be/mq6MFZjSs6A?t=139
twitter.com/AnonBabble

In some games, certain stages are preferred because the game chugs more or there's more visual chaff that gets in the way. That Kanzuki Beach DLC stage in Street Fighter V was banned from tournaments because the water hides low projectiles like Birdie's can/banana.

Except on the PS3 version it would literally lag it you played on other stages you faggot

The coolest looking stages are always the first to go

Well yeah, stages are nothing but extra scenery that add little to nothing to the game, plus in some games stages can mess with the mechanics/glitch stuff. Just off the top of my head, half the stages in the PS4 port of USFIV had weird audio glitches, several others had the tendency to cause slowdowns or other issues, the beach stage in SFV covered up Birdie's V-Skill cans, and the Injustice stages outside of training had those extras strewn about.

As for UMvC3, most footage I've seen of majors/tournies use Bonne Wonderland, not training.

KoF XIII

>characters are not functions

His only function is preventing fun.

It's funny when an empty stage has more depth than the training stage of every capcom fighter, SFxT's and TvC's looked pretty but they didn't have any special effects to the voices, lighting, or hitsparks to hit it home

anyone who says characters aren't functions is lying or bad. fighting game fags would play as a wireframe if it was top tier.

they complain about casual pandering all the time, but suddenly they care about johnny casual wanting to play as venom even though nobody played venom

But my favorite stages are never the training stage. They do tend to be schools though, like this stage and the School at Night stage in Persona. I pick those when I can.
Next you're gonna say music is simply a function and it gets in the way when you could be using audio cues for your combos

Them fgc "pros" just suck more than they would like to admit which is why they all lie and shit about how training stage preforms the best and shit. Since many of them actually use the grid lines to measure the spacing between their characters.

So shit is just s meme crutch to for those in the know to abuse. Which they then can take advantage against other who dont understand the actual reason the training stages of many games are pushed so damn hard by "pros" to be the default stage for tourneys for tourney. Again under the guise of performance issues.

Now their are stages that just cause to much visual clutter or just banned cause of people who like are color blind cant play on which yeah sure thats understand able.

Legit complains include the original shield hideout, the original red volcano stage in street fighter 4, and the stages that actually have framedrops.

I've never seen Wolverines, Spidermans, Akumas, Kens, Captain Americas, Gambits when playing MvC2 online.

I think the only low tier character I saw used was Jill, she was popular for some reason. But yeah if the general population could change the tiers of mvc2, I guarantee it would not look like the meta it is now. Who the fuck wants to play as Cable over Wolverine or Venom? Magneto is the only fan favorite in the top tiers oh and Storm.

>the Injustice stages outside of training had those extras strewn about.
For what it's worth, NRS tried to push interactables as legitimate for gameplay, at least in the first game.

>PS3
>lag
So it's natural state?

The problem is that the Diabolosis stage has some extra-weird lighting effects that make characters look stranger than usual.

This.
Training and Bonne Wonderland are the only two stages that a) you can tell exactly what's going on and b) don't drop any frames.
Stages are completely superficial and don't add anything to the game. Once you've seen them once they're just a novelty.

even the most autistic hardcore fighting game fan will care about the character's looks, style, and animations. it's only after hundreds of hours of gameplay that you stop caring about that stuff.

Which can be part of why certain games, like Killer Instinct, forbid you access to the training stage in VS mode. Besides, Devil's Landing is my favorite stage in the game, and not just because of the music.
>We're not going to let these good stages go to waste.

No you don't understand, all pro Marvel players are huge fans of Vergil and Zero.

They are also avid readers of Fantastic Four comics.

Tierwhoring is something done by the minority, typically those who play competitively. Once again the FGC are ruining the very games they play.

If characters were only functions and how they played was the only thing that mattered, then Virtua Fighter wouldn't be dead.

Stages are purely for aesthetic so long as they don't have any sort of interactives. Choosing a simple, less cluttered stage just makes it easier to concentrate on actual game play.

How you came to the conclusion that the two were compatible is beyond me. You're just trying your hardest to be le ebin trolle tho.

>UMVC3 announced
>Vergil is my favourite Capcom character next to MMX
>Zero is my second favourite in the game
>Wesker is too damn fun
>Make loads of people rage because of "tierwhoring"
>I'm just playing my favourite characters

the curve of the squares on the back wall tells you how far away the corner is dipshit.

at least with umvc3 if you claimed that you liked the top tiers because of their character rather than just their function, it's believable. If you said that in mvc2, you'd be a damn liar (other than Magneto and Storm).

If the characters were untextured meshes with visible hitboxes, it would be easier to focus on gameplay.

I'm glad of the way UMVC3 turned out. It's unbalanced as fuck when it comes to a select few of the top tiers but among them it really can be anybody's game depending on how good at the game you are.
The roster was great too. Wish the online wasn't so shit.

I unironically was a big fan of Psylocke though

>play morrigan online
>literally hurt my hand practicing her
>almost impossible to do her optimal bnbs online because of the timing of air dashes and fly unfly cancels required doesnt interact well at all with lag
>people send me rage messages saying im chrisg copy cat
>the same people also run the same brain dead online tactic teams like team big body or characters with brain dead hit confirm moves like cap or task master that just spams the shield move and lag makes it unpunishable
i love the core game so much but online was just cancer, characters with spammable moves that lead into big easy combos are too fucking good, characters with high execution gets punished by lag too hard

>so long as they don't have any sort of interactives
Tell that to Injustice and MKX, where they try to push interactives as a core part of the metagame.

At this point, the only thing keeping me at all interested in Infinite is the new meta. It seems like the last 5 years of Mahvel have been nothing but Vergil/Doom/Zero/Morry and literally anything else would be a welcome change.

I wish there was a game with Marvel and Capcom characters that played like a regular 1v1 fighting game.

Apology Man and KBR were great to watch, especially the former.
Those Firebrand 0-deaths were fucking great.

>Morrigan
>Learning anything other than rolling out half circles back and forth

OP that has to do with shitty consoles dropping frames on any stage where shits happening in the background

There's a lot more to the character than just that.
Her combos are tight on execution and if they get within attacking range of you when you run out of astral and you don't know how to use her you're fucked.

her bnb is LMH->f.H->j.m j.m j.h->j.QCF H->j.QCB S-> d.LM-> j.H->j.QCF M-> j.QCB S-> S-> j.MMH-> j.shoryu M->j. QCB S->S

this combo does maybe 30% HP compared to the likes of wolverine that just does LMH S j.LMH dive dick LMH S j. LMHS otg super for a 1 touch kill

>season function pass

GET MORE FUNCTIONS IF YOU PRE-ORDER THE SEASON PASS

DRESS UP YOUR FAVORITE FUNCTIONS WITH OUR DAY ONE EDITION DLC COSTUMES

>fighting game where characters are just manikins with different functions
>you can dress them up however you like

That sounds like a really interesting concept to be honest.

>LMH->f.H->j.m j.m j.h->j.QCF H->j.QCB S-> d.LM-> j.H->j.QCF M-> j.QCB S-> S-> j.MMH-> j.shoryu M->j. QCB S->S
Fighting games are so god damn autistic.

youtu.be/knJxiYdZVa0?t=807

>He picks characters for any other reason besides how they play in that game

lol

Hey, I think it's better than Tekken notation.

Talking about it, is there a fighting game with an infinite stage

It's much quicker and easier to use the relevant notation to write and read combos. If he wrote that without using any notation, it would become an unreadable mess.

youtu.be/mq6MFZjSs6A?t=139

Music sheets are also autistic for him

Tekken's notation with numbers is much more legible. I also infinitely prefer Tekken's "left and right" to Capcom's "light, medium, hard".

The only dumb Tekken notation is "While Standing"

>Talking about it, is there a fighting game with an infinite stage
Ultraman or ultraman seven (dont remember wich) for snes has infinite stages

The Penguin Land stage at the Sega Master System Brawl game is a rotated cylinder, (if you fall you and at the top of the map

would people play fighting games if it was just colored boxes attacking each other with other colored boxes?

There's a reason that sheet music isn't written as

F>A>B>C#>r>r>B(ff)>A,G,F(st.)>R

Some people like to think so, but no.

Because music follows a beat and fighting games don't. Unless you want to measure move rhythm in frames.

god forbid you play any of the gundam games. literally every single match is always on side 7 from 0079. go watch any random footage from any random exvs game and more often than not it'll be right on that same fucking stage. it makes me glad they didn't bring it back for the ps4 game.

>Colored
Too flashy. Needs to be gray for maximum functions

>Chun-Li with that far-reaching, lightning fast low poke that can link to super

uh guys, I thought Third Strike was awesome and SFV is unbalanced???

ironically poverty fgc would play but not pay $60-100

I've played Melee in Debug mode, so all you see is the character's collision boxes, stage's collision boxes and other environmental shit.
It's not as fun. If Melee were skinned with some bland setting like warhammer or whatever then I likely wouldn't touch it.

Well no one plays Virtua Fighter anymore so there's your answer.

>passing a season function

It's a religion, folks

Fighting game players:
>Don't play SFV it's shit! Play GG instead

Also fighting game players

>buy the UMvC3 Steam port
>100 concurrent players at any time and they're all better than me

I completely disagree with anyone who says characters, stages and music don't matter in a fighting game. Rule of cool is more important to the genre than any other. If sf2 looked bland and sounded like shit the series probably would have died.

>playing competitive
>playing online
>and then complaining
Why do people choose to play within cesspools? You can't win, it's all garbage. Stop thinking about winning #1 for money/fame and think about showing up that faggot Craig.

I'd much rather play some random fuck with Juri's SFIV moveset than SFV Juri, this statement should enlighten you to the meaning of the argument.

>CHARACTERS ARE NOT FUNCTIONS
>proceeds to use boring top tier character to win tournament
>WHY DIDN'T YOU USE THAT CHARACTER YOU SAID YOU LOVED
>because I want to use the character that is most functional in winning duh
tourneyfags in a nutshell

I like to play characters I like, but only if they're at least high-tier. Otherwise I'm just gimping myself in competition. Playing a character that for example does really shitty damage or lacks a reversal in a pressure-heavy game can get frustrating and suck the enjoyment out of playing.

SFV Juri is hotter than IV though

any stage but training or very basic ones lag like hell unless you play local

>juriwith hair down
post more

BODIED

>Don't play SFV it's shit! Play GG instead
Only Kappaturds say this, anyone who actually likes Guilty Gear for non-meme reasons isn't going to care about shilling it.

Yes, even despite that.

Kanzuki beach can be made legal fairly easy - just make the water very transparent.

There are mods that do it.

Skies of Honor is fucked for some matchups and colors though.

who cares
people always gonna complain about SOMETHING related to their opponent in a fighting game

>tfw only played SC2 and the original MK out of fighting games
>mostly played solo
>genuinely enjoy solo play more than multiplayer
>can't pull of a single move that needs more than 3 inputs
I have no clue how those 12 input moves in SC2 (Xbox) are even possible.

It's interesting to think that no one would've found 1/10th of the interesting shit about Melee if it hadn't been a game about Nintendo characters fighting each other.

"love to play as their favorites" isn't synonymous with "can actually play with or win using their favorites."
And most competitive players play to win, not to enjoy using the character they like the most..
Stages are mostly the same anyways, so it's just a matter of reducing lag.

What is the point of cosmetics in it though?

I don't get this thread and im getting scared.

Would MVC2 be as liked as it is if the only characters in the game were Cable, Sentinel, and Storm?

>this is what people who go 0-2 actually believe

>complain about Doom Sentinel and Storm for almost 20 years
>they're gone
>WTF ACTUALLY WE LIKED THEM!!!

No because there's no cyclops, magneto, psylocke, doom, captain commando or strider there.

t.ed boon

>implying fightan doesn't run entirely on rule of cool

how else would you explain a game where a karate hobo, green tarzan, a homosexual ruskie and a fire-breathing Pajeet Stretch Armstrong come together in a fight against Thai Hitler?

Because Japan is casually racist

The looks are super important for attracting new players and keeping the series alive with sales. Not every player is a competitive turboefficiency overlord.
It's mostly for brand appeal. Stuff like Ryu and Chun Li are incredibly iconic and it wouldn't be the same game without them.

For competitive players yeah, it doesn't matter, they might as well be lego men with monocolor parts.