I love Symphony of the Night, but it pisses me off that it dictated everything Castlevania from that point on...

>I love Symphony of the Night, but it pisses me off that it dictated everything Castlevania from that point on. There was a whole franchise that existed before Symphony of the Night, and now that era is dead.
Is he right?

I don't know what your talking about, I guessing Rolfe made a new vid? I'll go check it out but without having seen it yet all I'll say is that show (which I liked btw) seems to be heavily based on Castlvania 3 more than SotN so far (aside from backstory about moma Alucard)

And if dude is just complaining about Metroidvania style games that shit was firmly established in Castlvania 2 and even before that with the Castlvania 2 they made for the MSX that was poorly ported to GB as Castlvania Adventure.

All I'm sayin' is, SotN did not do Metroidvania first it was just the first popular one and James should calm his fucking tits.

Now ima go watch this vid and complain more or retract my arguments later if I feel like it.

Yeah he's right. Traditional 2D platforming CV will never sell because all the SoTN babbies grew up with gear and stats and OG Castlevania is too hard for them.

3 is the only hard old-school Castlevania, and the only reason it's hard is because of how poorly designed it is around the limitations of your movement. Anyone who says 1 is hard is a fucking pleb and 2 is a fucking joke unless you consider backtracking hard.

>Traditional 2D platforming CV will never sell because all the SoTN babbies grew up with gear and stats and OG Castlevania is too hard for them.
Very nice, show me your hardcore gamer card, you're so cool.

He's mostly talking about the style of things, he wants a show that looks like a traditional Castlevania.

He's 100% right
Classicvanias >>>>> Metroidvanias
Symphony of the Night was excellent but it was excellent because of its novelty. Turning that shit into a genre was a mistake.

Castlevania 2 wasn't really a Metroidvania, it was just open-ended. Metroidvanias usually involve unlocking new abilities or items that open the world for you to explore further. I guess 2 did to a small degree but it wasn't anything that different than Zelda 2 where you could just buy items like garlic to give you an extra boost.

I agree with him, I wanted some classic fun Castlevanias, but those all died with Sotn

The netflix adaptation felt like CV3 though, so I disagree with him there.

I would say so. Castlevania is a franchise that James is quite passionate about, so obviously he would try his best to word his thoughts and views on the matter the best he can.
That's not to say Symphony of the Night is bad, of course not, but there's just hasn't been anything "classic" since then. Metroidvania's are a good example of this.

Classicvanias are, overall, better games, but SoTN is the better Castlevania game, It's an exception to the rule

IGA was the worst thing to ever happen to Castlevania. Once he took over it was just copy and paste SOTN sprites over and over with a new shitty maze to run around in circles in.

RIP Castlevania

He's right in that sotn caused the series to adopt that style of gameplay for the next decade or so, but he's wrong to say that the traditional CV formula died out because of it.

1 is still harder than literally any Castroid out there.

He's right regardless of whether or not you like the new style.

How is he wrong? There was the Adventure remake on Wii but aside from that what else did we get?

I'm a massive castlevania fanboy and I agree.

Whilst SOTN was great , it took the series in a different direction which killed the original style. Not just the linear vs non linear aspects , but the decrease in difficulty, the RPG elements (which have never been great really, pretty much just picking the gear with the most plusses next to it) etc

I'd love to see a really difficult Castlevania game again...then again I'd like any real castlevania game at all.

I compare the SOTN thing to Resident Evil 4. It was wildly popular but totally changed the future of the series in many huge ways , and the slow, fixed camera , horror focused games don't seem to be coming back - the new one aside since I consider it a spin off

How exactly would that be portrayed? Every episode is one different level and the single protagonist character fights a boss at the end. On the one hand that might be cool but I find that unlikely. Sounds boring to me and would not be something I would like to watch.

Curious, but what games would you say adopted that Classicvania feel?

80s kid here

the original castlevania games are bad and not fun. they are overshadowed by every single similar game. Games like megaman, everything else by capcom, hyperblade, kabuki quantum fighter, ninja gaiden series, metal storm, shatterhand, down to shit like rush'n'attack and bad dudes, are ALL BETTER GAMES THAN THE EARLY CVs.

Gaming lost NOTHING when they stopped making classic castlevanias .It was played out and done.

If a new classic Castlevania came out today reviewers would shit on it because of the difficulty like Tropical Freeze or Crash

>metroidvania
>classicvania
>soulsborne

Anyone using these words should be gunned down.

Was SotN the one to shift all focus from straight up horror monsters to just vampires? I noticed that trend in the series.

They're not bad, they're just different. There's nothing wrong with them playing the way they do compared to other games.

While I'm more of a fan of Classicvania games I'm glad it at least visually looks like SOTN.

Classicvania looked way too Hammer films starring Conan the Barbarian. Old Alucard looked ridiculous.

castlevania games have bad difficulty though, they are not "difficult" they are "hard", like ninja gaiden. a game like kabuki or metal storm is difficult.

so much of CV is based on bullshit random enemy patterns. fag shit.

It was always just vampires, what are you on about? Even SoTN had you fight werewolves and mummies and medusas and shit.

Yeah it really sucks that the best and most dynamic game of a franchise changed the franchise for the better.

Well he's right; SOTN is amazing, and I love all the games that came after it, but Castlevania Rebirth is great too and nobody fucking bought it

I'd say its dead, but Classic style castlevania would still work in a modern setting, Since its lives system actually works nowadays too.

The thing with "metroidvania" is the people don't realize that it's a term that exclusively describes a Castlevania game with exploration, hence the "-vania" part, using it to describe your early access indie game doesn't make sense because it's not Castlevania

Was it ever released for anything other than Wiiware?

>a retro inspired soulsborne roguelitevania.

Soulsborne is just Sup Forums being absolutely fucking retarded.
Honestly though, I think the closest one might get to a 'modern' Castlevania is in the style of Bloodborne.

The guy who said PCs are for work? Fuck that, he was fun in the past when we was "new and fresh". He got some pretty meh opinions about gaming too. Lives in the past.

>changed it for the better
>made them all play uniformly with the same repeated enemies for the next 10 years

Say what you want about the classics but at least 1, 2, 3, and 4 all played and felt different.

I think that can be mainly attributed to the fact it was a Wiiware game. I never even knew it existed until long after the Wii's life.

The more important question is if it's possible to emulate it
you'd think that way too if you had to work on a computer all day

I bought it day one. It never came out on anything other than Wiiware, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people don't know it existed even to this day. I still run into a lot of Castlevania fans who like the Classic styled games more than the SOTN styled ones that didn't realize it existed.

I CANT STOP SAYING BABY MOSES

BABYMOSESBABYMOSES

>Lives in the past.
And this is a bad thing because...?

I'm 18 years old and CV1 was Waaaaay harder than CV3, you're wrong.

>Castlevania
>Alucard and Dracula never drank blood.
>blood thirst was never a point
>one of the defining traits of any vampire history is exactly their predations against humans for blood
Dracula should be a sorcerer instead of a vampire, a lich if you want.

Wasn't there also a really obscure classicvania on the Playstation?

Perhaps, but to think a PC is just for work is retarded. He should know that the PC probably has more old school platformers and shit than his fucking consoles.

I morely mean that he views t he consoles of the past as some kind of pinnicle. Playing his shitty old NES games. Sarkeesian got nothing to do with gaming either way, just another con artist that is fucking shit up. In a perfect world no one in gaming would take her seriously and just ignored the crazy bitch.

But then they'd have to call him something other than Dracula

All right, I watched the vid.

It just feels like he's bitching over nothing. Complains about first episode focusing on the villains motivation

>What does Dracula have to do with Castlevania?

Fucking retard.

What exactly does this guy expect? Simon Belmont from Captain N smacking candles with a whip and not interacting with anyone?

>Classicvanias
Sidescrollers in an industry of nothing but sidescrollers.

>Metroidvanias
Fresh take on a severely underrepresented genre (at the time).

>CV1 was Waaaaay harder than CV3
Not that guy but what are you smoking? CV1 is a cakewalk compared to CV3. Go climb that clocktower again in CV3 and tell me CV1 was harder.

I love James, but he's already been wrong about SOTN before. One of his complaints is that you can't skip the game over screen when you most certainly can just by pressing start.

I hope you're not playing the butchered American version.

100% correct

I didn't use the holy water in CV1 like all of you did to breeze through the game.

It's harder, go try beating death again in CV1

THE NIGHT IS STILL YOUNG. LET US GO OUT FOR PLEASURE.

>Alucard and Dracula never drank blood.
You can drink blood in sotn, just use dark metamorphosis.

This, the guy should have kept to his movies and his show and not started to be some kind of game critic. The fucker seems to fuck the basic shit up like just pressing start.

This.

Castlevania didn't have a distinctive visual style that was signature for the series until Kojima's presence SOTN onward.

I mean really, does everyone remember how generic animu hero Richter used to look?

Cheese is an aspect. You have to use every tool in your arsenal when dealing with that archaic 80s quarter-eating game design. Fuck you and your "play the game how it was intended" shit.

There was a port of an old Japanese computer game, but I'm not sure how obscure it was. It was put on PSN too. Castlevania Chronicles.

>kojima

Wait WHAT?

KOJIMA MADE METROIDVANIA SOTN?!
what a god, fuckonami

>Stop using words that accurately describe how a game plays!

He's right though, you don't name a series Castlevania and NOT put in a Belmont right from the start. And I also want to see him whipping candles and eating wall meat. Hell without that silliness it's just some generic vampire show.

Also I have to bitch about this
>4 episodes is now considered a "season"

How fucking lazy are they getting.

I like AVGN a lot, sometimes he's a retard though, especially anything past SNES. Though this issue of not being able to press fucking start has nothing to do with "newer" systems.

Yes. Yes he is completely correct.

Honestly, I hated it when all the weebs started to infest the fanbase and I still hate it. You already a million JRPG-games and a hundred other action games with RPG-elements in them.
Castlevania was fun because it was all about the whip - and that is why I liked Lords of Shadow. It wasn't the same old school gameplay, but it presented a challenge which tested your skills instead of grinding and gear and all that shit
>bu-bu LoS had XP!
which you never gave much attention because things unlocked themselves up perfectly without you having to look for places to grind etc

as a genre it's okay, but it's infuriating when it takes over a game franchise that was the COMPLETE OPPOSITE in its core

You're the sane kind of faggot that says souls games are easy as fuck even though you summoned 3 people every area.

You used the holy water in Castlevania 1, your opinion is discarded. Don't bother replying, I won't respond

Right... forgot that one... and them remembered that was that one move that everybody don't use after soul steal.
Also, they never use their fangs, never drink blood as a plot, history telling point. If anything the Lords of Shadow continuity used the "vampire" part better.

I'm not a weeb, so yes I played the original version.

Are you trying to say you don't use the best sub-weapon for each occasion? Why would you intentionally gimp yourself by doing some sort of retarded whip only run and then proclaim that makes the game the hardest? The axe can make half the levels totally trivial, same with the cross and holy water. Picking the right tool for the job and keeping it is part of the game. CV3 is the same way.