CD Projekt Red thread

Let's have honest discussion about them. Are they hacks or not?
Currently they are working on standalone Gwent which is in Open Beta now.
In plans as far as we know they have Cyberpunk 2077 and one new triple A IP (probably also RPG) but with "something new they have not tried so far".

Other urls found in this thread:

cdprojekt.com/en/capital-group/strategy/
forums.cdprojektred.com/forum/en/the-witcher-series/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/story-locations-and-characters-discussion-spoilers/48878-analysis-with-witcher-3-cdpr-no-longer-treat-the-players-like-adults-spoilers
youtube.com/watch?v=-4KnQF8Xwa0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I wish they didn't get into cancer card games, but no.

They wanted to have something that would give them constant stream of money over a long time. Card games are hype now and MOBA are already taken by Dota 2 and LoL with HotS somewhere in the corner. Too bad it kinda sucks now though. It was better in Closed Beta.

cdprojekt.com/en/capital-group/strategy/
Their strategy says that they plan to release BOTH Cyberpunk 2077 and another Triple A RPG in 2017-2021 period.
Since Gwent is not even fully out yet, i expect Cyberpunk to release in 2018 and then another game in 2021.

CDPR are a bunch of sexist pigs.

I think they have some real talent on board, but they're doing the same thing every other up-and-coming developer is doing - selling out. TW3 is a prime example of a series being dumbed down for the sake of making as much money as possible.
If Cyberpunk is also filled with "do 3 of X" quests and braindead handholding, it will be the last CDPR game I'll support. Hundreds of awards don't make the game any less of a wasted potential.

Literally who and why should anyone care about their opinion?

Sadly they said they want to make more Triple A titles so expect more stupid handholding.
Also they have the technology but the company is a total fucking mess. You can read opinions on the internet and every single one says that the management is absolutely terrible.

>Literally What: The Games
>Shitty Amnesia Sequel
>Shitty Walking Simulator
So no one important allright.

>that one guy who identifies as a sentient Chinese room
The fuck is going on with the world.

Well they can't create a good gameplay system to save their lives so it's only fitting they are cashing in on a card game for now.
I'm just waiting for Cyberpunk2077 which has a much more interesting setting than the Witcher series for me, although I'm sure the combat will still be complete trash.

I wouldn't say they are "hacks". Just yet another developer to put in the drawer and come back 4 years later to see how they're doing. Hacks are the people who pretent like the Witcher series is a top tier RPG or something. Having good characters and some decent side-quests doesn't make a game good when the act of actually playing it feels so shit. I can only hope they at least TRY to improve this time.

> i expect Cyberpunk to release in 2018
You must be delusional. It'll be a 2020 cross-gen release at best.

Oh, they made some garbage games no one played.
Cool.

By 2020 it will be way too late for Cyberpunk.
Their gameplay is bad because their management is atrocious and every time they make a game they scrap it from half of it's content and gameplay mechanics.

There is no RPG with gameplay that isn't hot garbage. In any case, a game is the sum of its parts hence why Witcher is at the top of that shit pile.

Too late for what?

The amount of preproduction that has gone into 2077 rivals Star Citizen. The game has been in pre production since 2013, when they unveiled concept art for enemies, areas, characters and more. At this point in time, it cannot live up to the hype. I just hope the game doesn't ruin the company with it. CD Projekt Red is a bastion of all that is good in vidya, would be a fucking shame to lose them over one fuck up.

A Witcher themed ASSFAGGOTS would get me into the genre though.

>There is no RPG with gameplay that isn't hot garbage.
Persona
>Too late for what?
It won't live up for the hype and waiting. People already expect miracle from this game and if they will wait too long it will turn into Half Life 3.

W1 was OK.
W2 was good.
W3 was fantastic.
Gwent was OK until open beta, now it's complete garbage, and it's run by a junior team with none of the original creators of Gwent. Slightly pissed about the time I wasted in beta, now. I was hoping for another hearthstone I could do dailies on and burn time while waiting in queue or such.
I'm tentatively excited for 2077. I fucking love cyberpunk and it's an RPG, which is the only game they've had success with. I never got to play their mobile MOBA, kinda wish I did just to see.

>hear dear Esther praised
>get it free in a bundle
>entire game is shit with some pretty caves
>pretty caves are shamelessly ripped off any real life location
Like, do people really not leave their house? There's fucking crystal caves in the goddamn Midwest for fucks sake. You don't even have to go overseas.

I only played 2-4 and have already forgotten 2 (just that you can recruit enemies by chatting them up which is nice) but 3-4's gameplay was also garbage. Half the shit you do in it is just watching cutscene after cutscene then you crawl on hallways that all function and look the same.

>It won't live up for the hype
There is no hype. They showed one teaser and that was it. If anyone gets hyped over that, then they're an idiot.

>They showed one teaser and that was it. If anyone gets hyped over that, then they're an idiot.
Kojima showed small teaser of Death Stranding and we don't even know what it is about and people are already praising it like it will be the best game in existence.
Also they might not show much, but they actually talked a lot on what they plan to do.

>By 2020 it will be way too late for Cyberpunk.
Doesn't matter what you personally think, I'm just being realistic. Maaaaybe late 2019, but I doubt it.

>Their gameplay is bad because-
I wasn't asking for excuses, just stating the obvious. I doubt "management" are the only ones to blame. Maybe the designers and planners are just shit and the base/core of the combat was rotten from the start. Something like "Hey! Let's do something like Batman combat but add complexity". It's just shit from the get go no matter how much they try and change it. But this is typical of most western action RPGs anyway, they copy each other's shit ideas over and over again.

There are plenty of RPG/ARPG games with non-shit gameplay. Anything that doesn't have a messy semi-auto-targeting system and that doesn't force lock-on movements onto your attacks, making 80% of the combat play for itself like in Witcher, is better than Witcher.

Perhaps Dragon'sDogma suffers a bit from the way they calculate attack and defence, but that's a fault of the equipment system, but the combat itself is fine and fun. It could perfectly fit into Witcher's universe. There are semi-realistic folklore creatures in both games and yet Dragon'sDogma manages to have a much more fun and impactful combat system with both humanoids and those large creatures than Witcher.

>In any case, a game is the sum of its parts hence why Witcher is at the top of that shit pile.
But Witcher is shit on so many aspects, the gathering and a lot of the equipment/crafting system all have major flaws and are extremely monotonous. The good points about Witcher are the same good points you could get out of a book or a TV season. As a GAME series it's mediocre. Yes Gameplay is only 1 part of a game, but it's also its most important

It won't ruin them. People in general love them and their games sell for a while. Also Gwent is there to support them

They are decent but they are nowhere near as god-like as normies try to claim.
Spouting "CDPR is teh standard other developers should follow XDXD" is the go-to line for entry level gamers who want to appear knowledgeable and gain some cred.
The same people that mindlessly hate (or pretend to hate) absolutely anything with EA or Ubisoft attached.

Is the Landmark Edition any different? It appeared in my library for free because, for some reason, I own the original.

It's not even a game, though.

It's literally
>Hey, want to hear a story and see some scenery? Okay, hold W for an hour.

People overuse the term "walking simulator" these days, but Dear Esther is the quintessential walking simulator, in the sense that it's literally not a game.

TW3 is not an RPG, it's action adventure. There's a lot of action adventure games with fun combat.

>But Witcher is shit on so many aspects
Yes, which just says a lot more about the genre if this shit was at the top. RPG needs a two decade hiatus just so people can dissect what is actually wrong with it or wait until the tech catches up for a proper RPG to be made.

If you're going to be an ass about it then I would say your semantics is a moot point considering RPG is still exclusively a /tg/ thing. Calling the crap we have in vidya as RPG is like saying a single haiku can be epic.

Didn't there used to be one? iirc it was even more panned than the LotR one but they could remake and improve it at some point in the future

> RPG needs a two decade hiatus just so people can dissect what is actually wrong with it
But nothing's wrong? Just this past quarter alone we've had half a dozen amazing RPG/ARPGs

Your line of thinking is wrong if you put Witcher on top like you're doing for no reason

ASSFAGGOTS requires much more work though with not only making the game but also balancing it and shit. And it's almost impossible to beat the other big mobas now, or even secure a place alongside them.

And Witcher wouldn't make a good moba honestly, the setting is not "epic" enough. Even most of the "heroes" aren't much stronger than usual soldiers. Not even to mention that Sapkowski, and every fan of the books and setting really, would get a fucking stroke if he ever heard about it

It was for Mobile and it was shit. Died in weeks. Now the same guys who made it are working on Gwent.
You can guess the results.

I was worried they would pander to social justice in their next game.

However, seeing how Poland has been acting the last few months I think it's pretty safe.

>wait until the tech catches up for a proper RPG to be made
How does that make sense? If you think we need to wait for a proper RPG, that means there hasn't been a "proper RPG" yet and you don't have any concept on what a "proper RPG" should be - nor does anybody else.

They should be looked at as the prime example of a competent developer company, considering how much they improved in all fields with each main release.

I dare you to name two (2) companies that showed more progress with their first three titles than CD Projekt Red.

Witcher 3 is quite SJW for previous game standards.
forums.cdprojektred.com/forum/en/the-witcher-series/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/story-locations-and-characters-discussion-spoilers/48878-analysis-with-witcher-3-cdpr-no-longer-treat-the-players-like-adults-spoilers
Previously villains had clear motives and you could understand them. Hell, main villain of the first Witcher wanted to save the world, he just had a "wrong" idea on how to do it.
>Eredin has literally 16 lines in game, most are his combat taunts, rest being cheesy one liners.
>Whoreson Junior is just generic Ramsay Bolton clone without any presence and is just laughable.
>Radovid went from brilliant and ruthless tactician who had his reason for his actions into a mad Joffrey Baratheon clone.
Also they were clearly afraid to be edgy with this game. It ended up really washed out.

Witcher 3 showed progress only on technical site. With gameplay and story it was regressive. Extremely casualized and dumbed down. But it sold well at least.

>Currently they are working on standalone Gwent
I still don't get this. Gwent was a neat minigame but not interesting enough to make a whole game around it.

Although I agree with all of these, what any of them has to do with being SJW? I don't even think it's the matter of being afraid to get more edgy, rather just some of the plot being not really well thought over and the rest getting blurred in how huge the game was.
W3 had objectively the worst story out of the whole trilogy though

To be fair, not many studios have their budgets go from 2 million to 10 million to 100 million for their first three games. As far as actual innovation goes CDPR has done sweet fuck all for the industry.

>CDPR
>not SJW
Someone didn't get the memo.

>it's le 13th century, women can do what they want xD
>it's le 13th century, women can fight too, I ain't shaming xD
>sex as a reward doesn't appear in the game unlike first 2 games

The fuck are you talking about? The only exceptions of the 13th century culture were the members of the lodge or otherwise warriors who have proved themselves.

An example to counter your point is Cerys, she was shamed until you helped her.

In HoS Geralt tells Shani that it's "13th century and women can do whatever they want and study and work for themselves".
In BaW there is Brienne from GoT clone that reveals her face once you beat her and Geralt again talks "It's 13th century, women can fight".
Also in W3 he has a puffy smooth face and is overall a huge SJW unlike edgy and gritty in previous two games.

I hope cyberpunk won't just be “Witcher with guns“.
I want an open world with bladerunner aesthetics, deus ex enhancements and ghost in the shell crime scenes

Or maybe it's because, you know, the games were based on a fucking book setting? CD Project didn't come up with any of those shit, if anything you might call Sapkowski an SJW: just a reminder, he's a fat prick who wrote them back in the 90s
Also female warriors were in in W1 and 2 as well

Just wait for people getting mad over trans character in CP2077 when transhumanism is one of the core themes, like in GitS.

Shani is Geralt's friend. Being supportive is SJW?

Showing honour is a sign of being a SJW?

That last point is irrelevant. Not sure where you were heading with that.

>CD Project didn't come up with any of those shit
>t.shill who haven't read the books but acts like he did
Books have no SJW shit (Ciri is a carpet muncher, but shamed for that) and world in it is high fantasy based on slavic lore. Also, don't mention books when talking about TW3 please, the game has more in common with ASoIaF than Witcher book series in tone.
>female warriors
No shit, those exist in all fantasy genre, even wearing bikinis. The difference is that no one ever puts that fact on the spot. They're warriors and no one gives a shit because that's how it is and that's what they do. Yet TW3, where female warriors are a norm in the North, they go out of the way multiple times to show that women do indeed have place in """MALE""" professions and not just cooks/hookers/farmers.

Which is sexist? Women showing their bodies voluntarily or not showing their bodies voluntarily?

>SJW gets defensive over peopel calling out obvious pandering
Go cry about it on twitter.

I'm just astounded that somebody can hold such strong beliefs for something so petty.

The Witches 3 would have been infinitely better if the combat was handled by a nip company

Prove me wrong

Really dyes your hair pink.

Vidya didn't invent RPG, user.

Why would I? Only paid shills can defend combat in the game.

Gwent looks to be a passion game by 20 people in the team while the rest of their team work on their AAA projects.

I meant that stuff like female warriors and women generally getting more respect was in the books. The stuff here is put in there as a fucking joke or ironic reference, in no means as a way of agenda pushing

mfw

Nice deflection, I suppose you can add a tally on that "arguments won on Sup Forums" whiteboard that you care so much about.

Are they hacks? No. Are they bad at game design and development? You bet.
The biggest issue with TW3 is that the writers had some major hiccups, and in turn that just shed more light on how fucking shitty The Witcher series as games are. Gwent is too slow for its own good and too obsessed with The Witcher's lore. the Cards should have been in-universe, instead of this weird 4th wall limbo where Geralt and Ciri are cards. The designers of Gwent let the outside world influence the game, and for that alone it's bad. That being said, it still has nothing on Triple Triad. I'd rather play Craps in Golden Sun than another round of Gwent.

>Witcher 3 by Compile Heart
What's my fucking prize, paisano.

Every Action-Adventure/ARPG in existence would be better off developed by Itsuno and his team.

You know that would be objectively superior to W3. Stop fucking lying

>getting more respect
They don't get any more respect than males, they are treated as equal in the books - no one ever mentions that woman is somehow strange for doing something men usually do. The game does.
>fucking joke or ironic reference
Your whole life is a fucking joke or ironic reference, user. Stop defending obvious pandering, CDPR are a corporation, they don't care about you and, hopefully, don't pay you money for doing so. And pandering is there. I mentioned it. It exists. It's, I'd say, a fact. Saying it's just a joke is like saying how retarded cop AI in GTAV is satire on how stupid real cops are.

>Are they hacks or not?
Lolwut? They haven't even got big enough on the strength of their good stuff yet to start going down the back side of the hill. For all we know, 2077 may be even better. In 5 or 6 years, when Witcher: Andromeda comes out, maybe then we'll talk.

Gwent's probably a mistake, but that's a side project at most. Best hope is they make some money on it to help fuel other projects.

>great games
>great business ethics (no DRM)
I don't see why you'd call them hacks.

>great business ethics (no DRM)
>literally sued some poor german for pirating their game

>great games
>feature some of the worst gameplay in the short existence of video games
>entire company was almost axed during their inception because they could barely program their shit and their original, scrapped project played and ran like a frozen turd

Come on, explain to me how "It's the13th century and women can do whatever they want and study and work for themselves"(a single quote which doesn't really matter whatsoever to overall plot of the game, it's not like you're going around liberating women) is in any way supposed to promote the agenda of modern leftists, rather than just being a humorous reference to a popular phrase and an ironic observation that women in fantasy are generally allowed more than in actual medieval times.
Everyone accepts that women can work however they want for a good 2 decades now, this is not a concept that needs pushing or reinforcing anymore and therefore is not a leftist agenda.
It's just a fucking joke which relies on putting a 20/21th century concept into a fantasy 13th century universe. That's it. You're seeing an SJW boogieman where there isn't any you sperg.

>CDPR are a bunch of sexist pigs.
It's 50/50. Whoever's doing their character design and modeling is obviously enjoys his T&A. But they also take the time to write the female characters as actual people with their own personality and motivations.

>X is SJW?
You gotta understand, to a certain group on these boards, anything that portrays a woman or a minority, at all, in any context, qualifies as SJW. I saw a guy get called SJW in a thread yesterday because he said he wanted to see Kate Upton take her clothes off.

Witcher 3 had women in it, ergo it is SJW. The fact that those women are all built like models, most of them wear revealing outfits, and quite a few of them get naked over the course of the game is completely irrelevant.

So they chose going after pirates rather than bothering their whole userbase instead. What's the problem exactly? I should suffer DRM because people are too cheap to buy a (good) game? Yeah, no, I don't really give a shit about pirates.

>It's 50/50. Whoever's doing their character design and modeling is obviously enjoys his T&A.
And what's wrong with that?
Geralt looks are epitome of manliness. Beard, muscles, white hair (symbol of old age and experience), he is a warrior and wears TWO swords instead of one, scars.
So why a woman with a huge cleavage/loose shirt is fucking bad compared to this, huh?
I ask seriously. No one ever has so far given a good argument against attractive/good looking women in games other than "it's made for horny teenagers" (which is not an argument).

Go tweet about it, snowflake. Denying facts doesn't make them wrong, but I guess they don't teach you that in social studies these days.

What happens in other places than the north and niiflgard ?

Only this part of the continent is ever shown. Other lands like Zerrikania and Ofier are just mentioned.

This. Seriously, I don't even care about the story so much. Fix the combat and have fun gameplay and I'd preorder that shit. Story in games just doesn't matter.

W1 was mediocre but with promise and mostly just brought down by being a glorified bioware game mod

w2 was dumbed down console trash that also abandoned the interesting story telling of the first in favor of generic grandiose events

w3 showed an immense amount of promise but ultimately was held back at every turn to get another mark on their AAA game design checklist. Its like everything in the game was designed just enough to be a marketing point and then abandoned. Writing returns to the form of W1 for a few sections, but the majority is shit full of conveniences and climaxs that go out with a wimper

CD projekt makes pretty but mediocre games overall and seeing the jump between each game makes it clear they dont give a fuck about making a good RPG, only getting those AAA game sales.

Don't forget user, Cyberpunk is already marketed as having an open world X times bigger than [Insert Popular Game Here].
Really though I feel this way about a lot of games nowadays. The way that games are marketed and presented. Like just pick up the fucking game and play it, or better yet release a proper demo a couple of weeks out. Don't show me these sterile videos with cunts who obviously don't actually give a shit about video games running through their checklist of marketing bullet points.

Nintendo and BotW was the worst about this. That Treehouse stream was so insultingly bad, and it didn't help that the stuff they were doing in-game looked boring as fuck. It took leaked footage of some French-Canadians dicking around in a demo build actually playing the game to convince me to get it.

>thinking CDPR gives a shit about things outside not!Poland and not!HRE

This is where their next game is located.

Now I understand why Amnesia 2 / Amnesia A Machine For Pigs was a literal walking simulator with

Yeah and the creators of original amnesia made Soma which was amazing.

>ts like everything in the game was designed just enough to be a marketing point and then abandoned.
Holy shit this is too true.

I just wish that they didn't jump on the fucking bandwagon and made this shitty Card Game.

>And what's wrong with that?
It doesn't really get under my skin, honestly, but I think that's what the "CDPR are pigs" people are grabbing onto. They see a screencap of triss in a low cut whatever, and lose their damn minds. The people who actually play the game mostly get pulled into the characters and forget about the surface shit.

My point is - yeah, they do have a (little) bit of a leg to stand on. Some of the outfits really are pretty ridiculous for instance. Sorceresses dressing in whatever lingerie doesn't bother me, because magic, fine, but rough-n-tough chicks like Ciri and Ves would probably dress a bit more practical. (And honestly, I think it would make them hotter, if the tough chick characterization was more believable).

I agree with you though. There's nothing inherently wrong with having lots of attractive people, especially in a fantasy genre setting. It's not realistic, but that's the genre.

The Witcher 3 has all the design characteristics of a Ubisoft game but only made by a different company. It would be trashed universally if I gave you the same exact game but developed by Ubi logo on the front

>Ciri and Ves would probably dress a bit more practical.
Vernon literally tells Ves that she's retarded by going into fight with a cleavage and Ciri says that she undoes her button because she's conscious of her scar and cleavage draws attention away.
Also she's like really, really slutty. Games don't portray much of this side of hers.

You know the poster count has remained at 31 for the last couple of post.

This post should raise it to 32, but to the guy that keeps bumping this shit, don't you have something better to do?

Nope.

Kek... hell no.

Tell me the truth, have you played either Witcher 3 or an Ubisoft game?

There was a Witcher 3 moba game for mobile, my copy of Witcher 3 had a code for some character in that game

A lot of samefags here, true.

Damn, is this the most honest developer of all time?

youtube.com/watch?v=-4KnQF8Xwa0

He should tell that to the retards from Square Enix.