What made Team Fortress 2 so much more fun than Overwatch?

What made Team Fortress 2 so much more fun than Overwatch?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B_qqFQF2p4M
youtube.com/watch?v=SI840bR3HYc
youtu.be/xO-8skO6Ir0?t=561
youtu.be/a7ozG-YNLNg?t=181
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

didn't fall for the diversity meme

TF2 is shit, TFC was the only good game in the series. The source engine is fucking garbage.
>inb4 quake retards
Original one was shit too.

Fun and casual gameplay

MOVEMENT MECHANICS
O
V
E
M
E
N
T

more gamemodes and the customization of loadouts (and by this i mean being encouraged to try other weapons than the stock and get good at those)

i guess there also isn't a "press Q to die" button that comes into play as often

it was (was) an actual completed product with high quality map designs and carefully balanced classes with the ability to add custom content and servers

lots of factors
>healing is reduced by damage which makes pockets actually killable and pushes to be made through raw damage instead of just picks
>health pools aren't incredibly insane
>most classes have a decently high skill cap and there is no such thing as a hard counter allowing you to carry a whole team if you are good enough

oh yea and the maps aren't made by toddlers
Who the FUCK though it was a good idea to have a flanking route AFTER the choke point
fucking morons

pretty sure sniper hard counters the fuck out of heavy

sniper is the only class in the game I would say that needs more than one class to take on effectively
even an engie nest can be killed by a single demo
depends on the map mostly though

Its not the attackers flank route.
Terrible design philosophy but they decided attackers have to be funneled.

The colour palette in tf2 isn't an over saturated mess for starters.

Playerbase isn't obsessed with opening loot crates which are more easily obtained by winning

People only want to win because they have a gambling problem. It's the same problem LoL has.

>black disabled man
>twink gayboy
>australian
>a lesbian(pryo)
>manbaby retard
>no diversity

Dedicated servers with custom content and rulesets

Overwatch is fun, but you can only play Temple of Anubis so many times before you want to kill yourself. In TF2 I could at least pop into a MARIO_KART or surf server or something to fuck around a bit if I ever got bored with the vanilla game

One word: Moddability.

Overwatch is so limited with game modes and maps. The new server browser kinda adds a little more flavor to game modes, but it's still strictly adjusting to already existing game mechanics.

Yes we get it tf2 is better than ow now can you fags stop

Higher skill ceiling.
More content.
Better design all around.
This too.
>being a contrarian

>pretty sure sniper hard counters the fuck out of heavy
You don't understand the definition of "hard counter" if you think that.
Heavy can kill Sniper if he is more skilled or lucky, therefore Sniper is not Heavy's hard counter.

A hard counter is a strategy that totally shuts down another strategy (Scissors>paper).
A soft counter is a strategy that has an advantage against another strategy in an equal skill level (Pyro>Spy).

You were younger and less jaded.

Dedicated servers with high player counts and many regulars.
You arent just playing with a random team of matchmaking, you are playing with friends you play daily
The maps are better, there are a bunch of custom maps and a shitload of fun potential
OW went too hard for the "competitive e-sport" side of things.
Funny thing that the only game that ever competed with Valve's games on the customization and creativity of user made content was Warcraft 3. You would think blizz knew better, but they didnt.

i know you're pretending to be retarded, but some people might believe you
>>>>>twink gayboy
Scout does nothing but hit on women in his downtime?
>manbaby retard
Heavy has a Russian literature doctorate, it's just that English is his second language

the fact that it came out 10 years ago before any such thing even existed

True story, In my 3000 hours of TF2 all of it was spent on one map - 2fort.

I cant even stomach OW for more than 30 minutes at a time.

>Funny thing that the only game that ever competed with Valve's games on the customization and creativity of user made content was Warcraft 3. You would think blizz knew better, but they didnt.
That was old, good Blizzard before the Activision takeover, as opposed to Nu-Blizzard.

Everything made by Blizzard prior to the Activision takeover was golden. Then it all fell to shit once Bobby "we want to take the fun out of making video games" Kotick took the reins.

>pretending to be retarded
Is that what you think jokes are?

Scout is deficient in testosterone

tf2 (in its prime) was a game that had a strong core game surrounded by a cozy and creative community.

>2fort
I know it has its upsides, but why limit yourself to one map for so long?

I dont know. I liked how small it was, i think. The fighting almost never stopped on 2fort.

Plus, once I played it enough I good enough at it that I just liked it. I didnt really limit myself, I just never felt the need to leave it.

A testament to the perfectly designed gameplay, I guess.

still is though
The community is still extremely creative, and there are definitely still comfy community servers out there

TF2's at its lowest point right now since it's the longest wait we've ever had for a major update, but you should see how it'll go off if the update releases and is good

Feels like the same thing happened to enix with the square enix merger

>the perfectly designed gameplay
Ehh as much as I love TF2, the class balance has some deficiencies, and the map balance of 2fort is horrible. It's too cramped for a good player to show off their rocket jumping/dodging skill.

I'd like to see Valve do a rework to 2fort like they did with Nuke to make it a bit less cramped, while still maintaining that "close mid fighting" deal.

>he saved my shitty meme
Love ya user

Absolutely, it's these fucking fatcat crypto Jews ruining everything in the industry with their greed for gold

TF2 is fun even if you don't win.
There's a reason why 2fort and Hightower ended up as deathmatch maps and some people would go "don't cap" in koth. These instances wouldn't happen in Overwatch.
I'd also argue that Overwatch doesn't let you freely change classes due to the ultimate mechanics where it charges up over the course of multiple lives. In TF2, you lose your uber when you die, so you can change at will without thinking that it's a waste of your time to do so.

While we're o the topic of map design, post your favourite maps, niggers.

My favourite is cp_"insanely fuckable" Steel

>TF2's at its lowest point right now since it's the longest wait we've ever had for a major update

That and the MM update kinda sucked imo. I used to play Tf2 all the time, but the matchmaking update rubbed me the wrong way and I slowed down.

12 v 12 with 9 characters, 0 bad choices.
vs
6 v 6 with 25 characters, 18 or so bad choices.

Nothing, it's not more fun anymore, so bloated by terrible cosmetics and ruined weapons, Overwatch is a breath of fresh air.

Now launch TF2? Simplicity.

Valve made the single biggest mistake they ever made when they chose to develop the Casual system (which nobody asked for) and replace Quickplay/the Valve server browser with it.

They should have spent that time actually working on the fucking competitive mode they promised the community, rather than casual/server browser when quickplay already worked perfectly.

Whoever came up with that idea should be scolded. Especially the dumb shit where you got penalized for leaving a CASUAL PUB GAME.

At least most of the mistakes they made are fixed since then, but we're still missing autobalance, spectate, team scramble, and joining directly into your friends' games.

>playing spy
>turbine
>ruining some razorback sniper's day with basic bitch revolver
>decide to fuck with him without outright killing him
>he can never find me
>this goes on for a few minutes
>he switches to spectate
>then switches back

okay I wasn't expecting it this time

>and ruined weapons
???
>simplicity
Simplicity doesn't keep a game going for 9 years.
Simplicity is code word for "quickly becomes boring because you've seen it all before".

This game is mad comfy. You can really just sit back and relax cuz matches be like what 15-20 minutes?

Matches on overwatch be 4-8 minutes and its not comfy at all

>>he switches to spectate
spectate got removed though?

Like clockwork.

this was a while ago, he did kill me but I was laughing too hard to care

They introduced a small pool of fun new weapons, then introduced more and more and started fucking with their stats until most of them were either boring sidegrades or completely useless.

I want my Baby Face Blaster back.

I got into TF2 during the Australian Christmas update, that was the golden age for me, played the fuck out of it. I don't have that kind of fun anymore, I want something more modern, and Overwatch does that for me.

>Runs super fucking fast
>Able to fuck any chick, cause he is literally gods gift to woman
>Knows his abilities well, so well in fact he can double jump
>Low testosterone

u fukin got me mate

Tf2 makes you buy keys to open crates with randomized loot and you need to buy weapons.

Overwatch gives you crates just by playing and it's all cosméticos stuff. How is that worse?

>rocket jumping/dodging skill.
Honestly TF2 isnt a rocket jumping game, and i doubt that when they designed it they had more than 1 bounce in mind.
Rocket Jumping working the way it does now is one of the biggest reasons why soldier is grossly overpowered. But nerfing him would create massive butthurt and kill the game. He honestly should have as much HP as a scout, given his mobility (less self inflicted damage, tho)

Oh? You want BFB back?

Well fuck you.

I want the caber back more than anything. It's not fair.

Cosmetic* yay spic keyboard.

That nerf baffled the fuck out of me when I came back, just, fucking why? It's such a dumb weapon, a troll weapon, it was completely harmless and non viable.

At least the Blaster was understandably kinda broken.

>can literally fuck any chick
>every woman hes been with is a slut and thats shown with the "Fried chicken tramp"
>Has to take dating lessions from spy to get his dream girl because hes a fucking asshole 98% of the time shes watching so shes not interested in him
>God's gift to woman
what a fucking joke

-Better maps in general
-Movement doesn't feel too sluggish even on characters like Heavy
-Better sound effects
-Characters are more memorable
-Each classes ain't too shy on taunting each other
-The ability to make custom maps
-More control in terms of making a server

I can't compare the two in terms of gameplay that much since TF2 is class based while OW is heroes based

no gays

>IS HE FROM NEW ZELAND
christ it was foreshadowed years in advance

>then introduced more and more and started fucking with their stats until most of them were either boring sidegrades or completely useless
That's wrong, I want you to give me specific examples.
>BFB
while I agree that they nerfed it too hard and it's UP now, it's nowhere near completely useless either. It's only slightly worse than stock.
>more modern
What? Is this code for saying "I like casualized games and have shit taste"?

What does "more modern" actually mean in this context? Video games aren't cars, the only objective advancement in games over time is graphical fidelity.
Tetris is from decades ago and yet it still has a better gameplay loop than many AAA games. Just like TF2 still has a far better skill ceiling, amount of content, and better general design than Overshit.

>and you need to buy weapons
No you don't dumbass, you get them as a drop "just by playing". How about you play the game you're criticizing before you fucking talk?

>Replying to a phone posting spic
Just ignore the single digit IQ retard.

biggest reasons
1. 12v12 instead of 6v6
2. player-controlled servers

Playerbase.
TF2 was filled with decent and respectable people before free to play happened.
Overwatch was Blizzdrones, esports autists, and waifufags from day 1.

1.The community servers are great and have made some great things like modded gamemodes and things like that.
2.The trading system, you can make some money from it and you don't have to pay full price for everything, not only that, but you can choose to get the exact item you want.
3.It's fun, Overwatch takes itself too seriously for my taste.

>it was completely harmless and non viable
No it wasn't you absolute retard.
Who the fuck thinks a weapon that can kill 4/9 classes in a single hit is "completely harmless and non viable"?

A sticky jumper demo could put 2 stickies on the ground, fly into the enemy Medic at Mach 8, and kill him in two hits and there was nothing the Medic could do.

The only reason it wasn't ran in comp play was because they banned it. And before the nerf it was Demo's most used melee in pubs. How the fuck is that "non viable"?

Don't post retarded opinions like "XD CABER WAS COMPLETELY HARMLESS" ever again, thanks. It offends me to think I share Sup Forums with people this stupid.

>People still believe pyro is a girl.

Get the fuck out of here wetback.

>before the Activision takeover
It wasn't a takeover, it's a partnership. It's called Activision Blizzard, not Activision's Blizzard.

this is clearly a vagina user

that's fanart iirc

Fundamentally different and superior gameplay. Overwatches gameplay is overdesigned/overconstructed, very restricted to the massed-team-fight mold. The level of 'rock-paper-scissors' hard-countering and general goofiness of the character ability sets and stats severely limits the ability of high-skill or experienced players to genuinely 'outplay' others.

The one thing Overwatch did so right, was really just recognizing and avoiding TF2s one fatal gameplay error - weapon loadouts vs singular class/characters with absolutely definite abilities/stats. Valve didn't go this way because they valued the brilliant characters they'd developed too much, but it is much better for the gameplay, at the meta levels as well (much better for the player experience to not have to worry about getting weapons to unlock gameplay).

seriously, how do you go from one of the most heavily modded and moddable games ever, to a game that doesnt even allow custom servers? Even sc2 was better than this shit, though sc2 was also 7 fucking years ago. The game industries in a rut, and I think the only cures a good crash.

I get what you mean, and I used the incorrect terminology, but it is, functionally, Activision's Blizzard. Bobby Kotick, who prior to the takeover headed Activision, now runs the whole operation as CEO. Most of Blizzard's original creative staff has also quit or been laid off or retired.

>People still believe pyro isnt a genderless alien here to slowly spread deadly air changing spores that can only be activated when he plunges the world into a hellfire terraforming the planet for his people to colonize

I played tf2 for 1300 hours, that doesnt change the fact that overwatch is more generous with drops.

Don't you think the whole tf2, csgo and dota crate/key system would be worse for a gambling addict? You can even sell or buy them for real money.

I enjoyed tf2 but after that many hours it gets boring, and you have to trade if you want an specific weapon without depending on rng, it's easy to do but still.

You're the retard ignoring a valid point and recurring to ad hominem insults.

>1300 hours
Fucking casual faggot.Your opinions are now invalidated.

Also, I forgot to mention that you can change your loadout and play the way you want to.

map design

>Has to take dating lessions from spy
This is normal father and son bonding

Lol k.

>People still believe pyro isnt two(2) kids standing one over the other

>seriously, how do you go from one of the most heavily modded and moddable games ever, to a game that doesnt even allow custom servers?

It's all the fault of the man I posted, Bobby Kotick. He's enormously greedy for money (when told that his company made a record profit, his first response to everyone in the room was that games should cost more money), and gamers being able to make their own content without paying for it would go against his Jewish nature.

You see, the enormously popular mod Dota came out of WC3's map editor. Icefrog actually approached Blizzard to get them to hire him to make a Dota game, but Bobby Kotick knocked him back. So Icefrog went to Valve instead, who funded him, and that's how Dota 2 was taken from under Blizzard's Jewish nose. Blizzard were fucking furious about it, sued, and lost the case on everything but the name, and thus they missed out on the MOBA train and had to make the inferior Heroes of the Storm.

And that's why Activision-Blizzard no longer encourages or allows modding of their games, in case somebody has some fun that they can't charge them for.

>that doesnt change the fact that overwatch is more generous with drops.
Hey, you stupid spic, for a start I don't give much of a fuck about cosmetics.
Overwatch isn't """"generous"""", you pay at least 40 fucking clapdollars for the privilege of playing.

TF2 gives you 10 weapons per week. That's contrary to the lie you told where you said that it makes you buy weapons. Stop lying to us and go do some menial work, you lazy spic.

In all seriousness Tf2 is just a party game and there is hardly any teamwork going on whatsoever in games. While Overwatch focuses heavily on team plays but does not tolerating any goofing around. So saying which game is better all depends on your value's of fun.
Tl;dr: Stop comparing them

>and i doubt that when they designed it they had more than 1 bounce in mind.
yeah because explosive jumping and physics abuse wasn't a massive part of tfc or anything
youtube.com/watch?v=B_qqFQF2p4M
youtube.com/watch?v=SI840bR3HYc
go back to r/tf2 shitter

A lot of stuff.

OW adopts a lot of MOBA/MMO tropes which incentivize team coordination at the expense of rewarding individual player skill.

Every character has match ups they're nearly helpless in. It's much harder to pub stomp when DVA or Winston can get in your face and put you in a situation where it's almost impossible for you to win the DPS race. Big health pools, cool downs on abilities, and hard counters make the game much more dependent on working with your team to produce favorable situations rather than playing really well individually.

Better maps.

It's easier to find laid back matches with player counts big enough that there's little pressure. Matches are longer and you rarely feel as helpless for reasons mentioned above.

TF2 writing is good, OW writing is bland pedestrian garbage.

Agreed, Overwatch is a reflection of modern trends, a diverse MOBA roster combined with the TF2 formula.
It's like comparing Doom and Halo.

It's been ages since I played much, so a lot of it has left me, but off the top of my head the Degreaser and Axtinguisher were given a hard pass. I could go through the weapons one by one to see what I remember right or wrong but I'm honestly too lazy.

The Baby Face Blaster feels like too much risk for too little reward, it's only consistently useful if you are extremely good at dodging most damage, the drain on hit is just too damn high.

More modern, as in a game that takes the TF2 formula and does something fresh with it, like Siege does with Counter Strike. They both appeal to me for the same reasons, they feel smoother, look better, take a MOBA like roster and focus as much on smart ability usage as gunplay.

Sure, they're a little casualised, I'm not and have never been a hardcore competitive player, when it comes to shooters I want something that rewards skill, without being overly punishing if I'm not at my best.

I don't have the skill or patience for Counter Strike, but Siege? It's a slower game where teamwork feels more essential, Overwatch is the same, you're never expected and rarely encouraged to go on a solo streak, you're usually punished for it, and I like that, teamwork feels rewarding when it works.

So I guess it boils down to "I like the modern trend of less hardcore titles.", even a middling player can contribute in Siege and Overwatch, when they'll just get demolished in Counter Strike, or barely do much in TF2.

>tf2
>writing

It's been a while since I played, there's a story besides meet the [insert class here] videos?

>and there is hardly any teamwork going on whatsoever in games
wrong
youtu.be/xO-8skO6Ir0?t=561

Besides, calling TF2 a "party game" is dumb. When have you ever seen someone playing TF2 at a party?

Lol I'm lazy and yet you complain that you have to pay for a game, what you said doesn't negate what I wrote un my previous post though.

The answer is player-made maps for TF2. OW can't ever compete with that.

>Honestly TF2 isnt a rocket jumping game
That's rubbish. Their entire promotion of Soldier was rocket jumping.
youtu.be/a7ozG-YNLNg?t=181

Also you neglected to mention dodging.

There are really good comics, actually. The comics are probably better than the game.

theres a huge comic strip valve has been making over the years. the game and the comic have parted ways in terms of canonicity such as the heavy being a big loud dumb brute in game while actually being a quiet and reserved phd weilding russian mercenary.

>TF2 gives you 10 weapons per week
actually you can even get -rare drops- in tf2, some items can be worth 100s of dollars and those can only happen in drops.

items like collector's chemistry sets, very rare, hugely expensive but you can only get them in a random drop.

I'd also like to add that since overwatch's cosmetics ARE NOT TRADABLE they are worthless to other players.
where tf2's cosmetics are tradable and have actual value, if you can't trade/sell it, it's worthless.

also as far as i know, you need a separate account to play on consoles with overwatch, so you'll have to buy the items twice to get them, on the other hand tf2 on console is in the same state as it was back in 2007.

overwatches cosmetics should just have been an one time purchase for the skins you'd want and not crates.