My launch ps3 is loud but doesnt get hot...

My launch ps3 is loud but doesnt get hot. It works perfectly and is almost 11 years old so did I win the 599 US dollars lottery?

>bought a ps3
no you moron you didn't win

But I got to play lots of fun games, granted not until 2008 but thats ok since there next to nothing on 360 I care about.

Is it the old model thats backwards compatible? If so, yes.

My PS3 is exactly 10 years old now, and I did buy it used back in 2007 as well, so it's potentially 11 or so too. Still working fine, it got quiet when I took it out of the cramped TV stand shelf. I did also open it up to check for any collected dust inside, but it was surprisingly clean for a 10yo machine still in active use.

You gotta remember that the OVERALL failure rate of PS3s is literally something like 4-7%. While obviously that covers a big chunk of consoles, since it is out of TENS OF MILLIONS of machines, it really isn't as severe problem as some claim. Let's not forget the Xbox 360's legendary 75% chance of RROD.

yes, PS2 backwards compatibility.
All PS3's still run PS1 games.

Yeah, I still use it for ps2 games because of an embarrassing incident with my ps2.

I did reflow the thing with new thermal paste this year though so you guys might want to do that.

Funny enough I had 2 360 break on me. A Halo 3 elite and a 360 slim. My current 360 is also a launch one with no hdmi and it works.

It's bound to happen. Supposedly you should have the thermal paste and pads replaced before they die off and repeat every 10 years.

You better replace the thermal paste. That will make it last a lot more

I got one in 2008 and the blu ray drive stopped working. It wasn't BC with PS2, though.

I remember when I got a ps3 with gran turismo 5 prologue and it was such a shit console just to even navigate with I sold it literally the same day to this paki for £700 lmao

Used the money to buy a 360 and Wii.

Come on, that stopped being true a long fucking time ago. Within 5 years it became the better console. And at least he could play his PS2 games while he waited

I might. I do have a 120GB Slim as well though, so at least I have something to fall back to if SHTF.

Traded a busted '91 240sx for a 40gb fat boy.

YLOD after 4 years. Buddy paid a halfwit to fix it, then the geohot jailbreak craze hit and I turned it into an arcade...until it ylod again.

Stole half of gamefly beforehand though.

Also dont ever put it under the tv again. That will kill it in no time. Give it some room to breathe

I would totally be in the market for a fat BC ps3 if they didn't have failure issues. I would love ps2 BC through HDMI. Actually I would love a PS1234 but Sony will not deliver

>its ok when japs charge 600$
>u rike?

Just emulate like every other person. It ends up being a better experience any way as you can achieve better visuals and performance.

Or you can just use psnow, goy

Streaming games is horrible though.

PS2 games aren't on psnow
I thought so too, until I actually tried it with good internet. It's uglier than a PS3 would be but the lag is actually fine.

My 60gb finally croaked a few years ago. It started getting loud even when on the main menu. I just have a slim now and a softmodded ps2+internal HDD loaded with games.

I don't think I personally know anyone with a functioning fat ps3 now. My friend that kept knocking on wood finally got ylod on his 60gb model last year.

>he bought a Wii

PS2 emulation is a far cry from replacing the original thing. and my PC can handle it

I've got a fat ps3 like OP's but it doesn't play ps2 games when I put them in . why i wonder

Its better in any way to just buy the console.

ps3 are like what 100 used for a slim.

I had my original ps3 since 08 and it is by far my favorite console from that gen.

If you're wondering about the noise, just replace the thermal paste and secure the heatsink tightly.

You might as well hack your ps3 at this point.

I traded in my Xbone for a 160 gig Slim PS3, 2 controllers, and about 20 games back in March last year
Honestly Ive used my PS3 more than I ever used the 'bone since i got one at launch, I dont regret anything

Not him but you're drunk. Ps2 emulation is way better. I gave up on using my ps2 and my wii to play older titles. I just emulate them all now.

Only launch ps3 have the hardware

2007-2008 ps3 used to play them, they did it via emulation(similar to ps2 classics) but it was disabled because it was shit. so the only ps3 with OFW that can play ps2 are launch 2006 ones.

thank god you can change the hdd in them.

The original 60gb, 20gb had ps2 hardware. First 80gb run had software emulation IIRC. The rest of the fat models won't play PS2. All play PS1 though

Dang. thanks for the info . Maybe I can modify it when I clean and repaste it

Mine was pretty much just used to play Gamecube. I had a usb HDD with most of the library on it.

Funny what I did was buy a slim to mod because e3 flashing requires no soldering on the slim.

MY soldering skills are fine but I dont wanna open up my baby(launch ps3 fat with ps2 BC) if I dont have to .

I sold a wiiu for the slim but it was worth it.

>long fucking time ago. Within 5 years it became the better console. And at least he could play his PS2 games while he waited
Nothing on the list you posted furthers that point. You expected people to see more games and not look at the individual ones.
Shovelware doesn't count, ever.

I just googled ps3 exclusives desu
you're right, it's a shit list

This means he got the most fun out of the last generation of consoles.

Maybe, but keep in mind that it's still likely to happen especially for launch models. Sony will might still repair your PS3 for a cost, but I wouldn't count on their support lasting for much longer. My PS2 died recently and the reality that all consoles will eventually die has certainly hit me hard. It's more secure to buy a newer model PS3 as well as a PS2 for older games than it is to rely on your launch PS3. Of course, in the end, it all comes down to luck.

PS2 emulation is still jank as fuck.
It's inaccurate as shit, reverb is entirely fucked, geometry on models is fucked, there's stutter in frame render times, and there are timing problems in almost ALL games.

Eh I noticed theres a bit of delay when using a controller on the pc though. At least using a ps3 controller.

Good if you dont notice it.

Never had any issues other than turning up the graphics in yakuza. I'd still rather emulate than play on a ps2.

Yakuza actually works allright.

I had problems with many 2d games though, like the fist of the nroth star game.

also a game that doesnt emulate well on a ps3 slim

Sony's built in emulation on their machines has always been really impressive. The PS2 had great PS1 emulation and the PS3's backwards compatibility was even better. Anyone who has tried hooking up older consoles to newer television sets will know exactly what I'm talking about; Sony entered the HD realm flawlessly. I'm especially impressed by the high quality of their "classic" PS1 and PS2 games on PS3 and PSP. I'm not too happy that I have to re-buy those games on PS4, but I'll admit that the new work done on those games is certainly impressive, in some ways going beyond what PCSX2 has been capable of. All of this while keeping individual game prices cheaper and quality far higher than Nintendo's virtual console service on both Wii and WiiU, which has been a fucking embarrassment - especially with NES titles. I don't know much about 3DS virtual console but I can't complain much about Link's Awakening DX.

Hopefully, Sony's next console brings back backwards compatibility in full force but I don't think that's likely anymore. It seems like they're going maximum jew and they're really pushing their garbage PSNow service.

thats because the ps2 had ps1 hardware as well. the ps1 cpu is used for IO processing, clocked at 128mhz then downclocked to the original 33mhz when a ps1 disc is in

however the slim plays ps1 games differently.

I still have my launch 60GB PS3.
It purrs like a kitten.

The trick is disassembling it, removing ALL the shitty low quality heat pads and shitty white thermal paste and de-lidding the RSX GPU (RSX is fairly safe to de-lid, Cell can be de-lidded to, but it's MUCH harder and more risky)

Then you use liquid metal to bind the RSX to the heat spreader (or just a better long-cure thermal paste), use good quality paste on the CPU and GPU connection to the heatsink, and replace all the old thermal pads with the higher quality blue ones.

Obviously, also clean dust out.
That should add 10 years to its life.

Then, if you're on CFW, get a plugin that lets you make custom fan profiles, because the default fan profiles are SHIT.

Set it to keep the CPU under 67C.
Default fan temps allow it to reach 72-74C regularly, and the fan jumps in 30% increments to cool it. This means you get 20% fan, and 50% fan. 20% is too little, 50% is the infamous jet engine.

With a plugin controlled fan, it will hover around 33%.

Also, set the PS2 mode fan to 35%
The default is 25%, and the Emotion Engine chip gets so hot it deforms itself and the chip changes color due to excessive heat. The PS3 CANNOT MONITOR TEMPS while in PS2 mode, AND CANNOT CHANGE THE FAN SPEED.

To make things worse, the Emotion Engine uses a heat pad, so it's very inefficient at dumping heat. If you have the time and money, a copper shim helps.

If you do this, your PS3 will never die (well, the board will never warp and crack, causing the GPU/CPU to overheat easily, and turn it into a jet engine or YLOD on you, the disc drive will still eventually die, so get CFW so you can replace and re-marry new drives)

Fuck but I dont wanna soldier shit to my ps3.

Goddamnit.

I always thought this was an elegant approach to BC.

Include old hardware in a new, more efficient package and have it perform another duty in normal operation.

It would be AMAZING if the PS5 contained a new extra small scale (like 22-14nm, original Cell was 45 nm) Cell processor doing duty as a post-processor/physics engine, and being able to provide PS3 BC, with the main processor being x86 compatible for PS4, and a 22/14nm emotion engine handling audio/IO processing for PS2 BC.

Fat chance though. That would be another $600 nightmare.

I mean is it terrible for it to be that expensive if they also released just the ps5 alone?

Like what if the original ps3 had 2 models, enthusiast with all previous console backward compatibility and the poorfag model with just the ps3 hardware?

No soldering involved, you dont NEED to de-lid the GPU (but it REALLY helps).

Just replacing the old thermal paste and pads helps tons.

If you're talking about CFW, the easiest way to do that while not ruining your PS3 is to find someone with an SMD rework station to de-solder the Firmware chip (or chips, in the case of 20/60GB models, they use 2).

Then they slap it into a test socket, read the firmware data with a Teensy, pop on new firmware, and hot-air solder it back into place, good as new.

This is the best way to do it, because they can buy NEW chips and not erase the old ones so they have a backup in case of fuckups.

people would still bitch.
We'd still see dumb $599 US DOLLARS memes again.

>game 1
>game 2
>game 3

So this is the power of rehashing on the very same console.

People will always bitch though.

I bet people bitched about the ps3 price drops.

You are the reason I've gone through 3 YLODs.

Backwards compatibility is shit on the ps2 and ps3

with ps2 games thats wrong on a launch ps3
with ps1 games on both systems literally only ready 2 rumble wouldnt launch on my ps3

Chad Warden would be proud.

You know this.

>TFW I only have a super slim ps3 because the wii made me paranoid of scratching discs.

My BC launch PS3 is still going strong in the other room right now. I've bought 12 games in the last month out of gamestops bargain bins at 4-for-$10

My friend's launch edition got ylod and he had already bought a new one so he gave it to me. Took it apart and replaced the thermal paste and it worked for about a month before it got it again. I didn't have any PS3 games so I didn't mess with it anymore. Ended up getting slim model for $30 2 years ago.

>forza rated higher than gt5
i still dont get why this happened

my ps1, ps2 and ps3 all work perfectly after many years of use.

>no Talladega Nights
Shit list.

i bought a slim ps3 from gamestop a month ago, crapped out on me after 2 days even though it looked like it was in good condition. when i turned it on, it would show the green light, then slowly turn into a yellow one for a second, then just turning into a blinking red light. using a super slim right now but it seems okay.

My Atari 2600 still works perfectly, did I win the lottery too?

My PS3 is 9 years old or so and still works perfectly. I've actually never had any problem with any console I've ever bought (although that's probably because I've never owned an xbox)

Christ, and Sup Forums gives Nintendo shit for rehashing.
Also PS3 was fucking shit for multiplayer games.

>multiplayer games
just play on pc then

>Missing out on Halo 3 multiplayer