2017 Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation

And you still think its a scam?!

youtu.be/bCtdyNFwQWo

It looks fucking beautiful

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gb702V4_m4c
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Roberts_(game_developer)#Works
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

after watching this video I now realize that I was wrong, I will support SC as soon as I get my pay

Release date for 1.0 when?

#MATCHME

I spend $200 at the pub every other week anyway, A few dollars for this extravagant masterpiece of game design is nothing.

>still think its a scam?!
yes

P-please don't link that one.

youtu.be/gb702V4_m4c

Nobody needs an hour of cringy roleplaying. It's like the Anthem trailer but ten times as bad.

so this is the power of capitalism...

spaceships feel weightless
no feedback from guns
lag and sync problems

Mass Effect Andromeda took 5 years to make and it was A LOT less ambitious.

If this takes 12 years to make that's fine.
I can wait.

>camera is far away to hide what is happening
>dust covering the car getting on the platform to further hide it
>magically the car snaps onto the platform (script to place car at location)

these are minor problems
>game is marketed as a space simulator with massive ship battles
>game is now a fps where you do missions on planets in a space car

shit that don't matter: landing capital ships in the dirt, rovers and bikes, cookie cutter outposts on planets you walk around in for a minute and leave, sand worms, shooting sand people

important stuff: convincing ship physics, stable framerate, lots of people on server, interaction with NPCs, practical way to haul/pirate cargo, landing, player hangars where you can land your ship, star systems, jump points

and which do they focus on....

at least the planets and asteroids look really good from space

The #1 important thing for this game to work was the ability to host more than 10 "capital" ships full of players on a single server. If they continue to dress this game up with high quality models and neglect to address the real issue, they will never release what they promised

Ages ago.

We're at 3.0 dude.

DEREK SMART BTFO

literally ever couple of months star citizen creates a new feature that not only has never been done before, people have sworn up and down that it could never be done

>nested physics grids
>unlimted draw distance with no reduction in framerate
>true gas/liquid volumetrics
>true newtonian physics simulation with full orbital mechanics
>true 64-bit positioning with no shortcuts
>realtime render-to-texture at full resolution

i could go on. it's literally the most under-the-radar blockbuster of all time, even with $158 million raised and 2 million preorders. the world's first AAAA-quality game.

I actually feel sorry for the people who are so scared of innovation or jaded from no man's sky that they're not buying until "release" (there is no traditional release with SC, because they will keep adding features and content for the next decade plus). they're missing out.

>last Patch was fucking 5 months ago

what's the fucking point of this shit

Really? All that stuff sounds impressive, but...but...I don't know what any of it means so I assume you're just poking fun at the gaem ;_;

you'd think this would stop being funny by the 50th time I've seen it but it doesn't. It is still so fucking ridiculous.

>game is marketed as a space simulator with massive ship battles
>game is now a fps where you do missions on planets in a space car

to be fair they demo'd capital ship battles at the end of the presentation, looks a bit rough gameplay wise but still pretty cool.

Great! So when does it all actually work?

Do you want to know how I know you play battlegrounds?

>3.0
>early alpha

Honestly this. I spent 20 dollars five years ago, those dollars are now totally irrelevant to me, and now at worst I get a weird space themed physics sandbox to mess about with. At this point I don't believe it'll ever be a "fun game", or stable, or whatever, but I'm still fascinated with what it will become.

Reminder that the /vg/ guild, the Vederation, is filled with ex-goons and furries. Their entire officer corp is both :^)

it's stupid but they officially changed the naming to Star Citizen Alpha 3.0

True genius takes time. Do you think great artists finish their piece in a day?

Some do, yes. But I get it. This is all trash.

i haven't tho?

>waaah, they're busy building the game instead of patching the alpha

That's nice. Do you have any proof of that?
Not claims from the devs, something tangible.

yes

i do

My keyboard broke and besides X3 there's no games I really want to play. Is it worth getting keyboard for this game?

Yes

are you fucking retarded or something? This bitching is fucking legit one.
Sure, Presentation looks nice, but like I said what's the fucking point if they can't deliver anything to us. we got nothing, They delivered nothing,
and it's been five months, and They delayed the update for various reasons, And the worst thing is this(delay) could be happening again.

Mass effect andromeda was terrible tho

>Roberts was known for his space games
>About flying a spaceship in space and being a space trader and explorer
>get more than $150 in backer money to develop another one of his famous spacegames
>??????????
>In the sixth year of development Chris and his team roll out a broken alpha of what looks like a Mass Effect clone of people doing fetch quests on brown planets, which is running on CryEngine, which automatically invalidates the most important gameplay features the backers gave their money towards.

really made me think

Can't fucking wait.

Their booth at gamescom was weird.

There was literally absolutely nothing.

it's an alpha

you're lucky to be playing anything, impatient child

it already has space and spaceships though

>It looks fucking beautiful
thats nice. let me know when its fun to play.

>it's an alpha
>you're lucky to be playing anything, impatient child

It's a mess, you need to organize your ideas better.

You forgot the part where the team had to redesign the periodic table to create atmospheric particles that would diffract light at just the right wavelength to make the sky green

>Alpha 3.0 has been pushed back from August to september

They have 30 days to impress me.

That fucking mass of deluded autists in the comment section, my god.

The game was marketed as a space simulator for its initial kickstarter

The game has grown in scope due to feature creep incentivized by people pumping money into CIG

People want to see this game made, and if Star Citizen proves to be sucessful we'll finally see next gen gaming actually stop being a meme as they've addressed almost all the problem with modern 'next' gen games

It's not a scam. It's just history repeating itself.

If it's an Alpha, why are they tacking on useless features that literally nobody asked for like facetracking, instead of developing it to completion first?

>six years, budget larger than GTAV at this point

oh yeah i know why becauyse it's a scam and Chris already started jiving about selling Webcam (fucking lol) to give it one last squeeze.

>yfw watching all this buyer's-remorse denial building up No Man's Sky pt. 2 only to be inevitably disappointed again

I don't think it's a scam but it's taking too goddamn long and they are wasting time on stupid shit like dropping shit onto planets and driving around.

They should have got the Single Player finished by now and should have kept that extra crap for later.

Then why aren't they finishing and polishing that first? Why add Mass Effect bullshit at all?

Freelancer was screwed by publishers.

Even then, if they pull an actual freelancer 2 with this, it wouldn't be awful.

Because the game is still in alpha?

Alpha phase is about adding in the core features of the game, then beta phase is when you polish.

And the scale and scope of this game being akin to an MMO, it will likely have many bugs on launch as well.

>feature creep

MN9 got fucked over by this and its "features" were minor things like online features that held up testing for months. Star Citizen's features are even bigger and it has 20 times (that's an understatement) of the money MN9 had riding on it. I see the makings of an even bigger failure.

freelancer was screwed by Roberts with delays and feature creep, when microsoft took over they forced them to cut content and release what they had.
With no publisher oversight for star citizen it will just go on forever

MN9 was a single player game.

SC is using the MMO alpha/beta model, so problems can be addressed by alpha/beta players.

Scam Citizen has a lot of problems, but their alpha model is better then most other EA/paid beta models in recent years.

>b-but it's just an alpha
How much did you personally pledge to this project that you're falling so hard into this delusional mindset

>all these backers ITT that have deluded themselves so far that they can't see the shit that is unfolding in front of them

I genuinely feel sorry for you guys. This must be hard to handle but you spent thousands of dollars on a game that either won't be released at all or with massive feature cuts

Thats fine, as long as you can log in and play the game, they can develop and polish all they want.

If this was an MMO with a subscription model, or a 'wait till its done" kickstarter scam, i'd say otherwise, but Star Citizen is at least playable and testable, even in its current, limited scope.

Otherwise my $20 seems to be well spent as I have over 100 hours in arena commander alone.

i found out the other day that my cousin's husband has spent £400 on this "game". i'd love to meet him and see what kind of guy he is to waste so much money.

It's gonna be the biggest failure ever that wasn't paid for by tax money

It's both clearly.

>Because the game is still in alpha?

Why is it still in alpha after six years of development? Could it be because Roberts is preoccupied with every new gimmick he thinks of like a retard, instead of finishing the core game to completion?

Not defending the fact that the capital ship battle was awkward and felt more like a slow paced overscaled dogfight, just pointing out that it was a new feature that was just rolled out in an alpha.

When we actually can fly capital ships on the test servers we'll probably fall through the floors into open space and die constantly. until the beta phase in 202X

>Sup Forums so btfo they're backpedaling on calling it a scam
>Sup Forums is so terrified of this game they're desperately looking for any single bug in an alpha to shit on
Warms my heart to see Sup Forumsvermin squirm.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

"REAL TIME DYNAMIC SOIL EROSION, IMPLEMENT IT NOW"
>"But sir, we're making a space ga-"
"JUST DO IT"

Revenge for what? Chris's reputation of not being able to meet a deadline if his life depended on it? Oh, wait...

Kickstarter started in 2013, at that time what they had was pretty much nothing more then a cinematic made in cryengine.

They didn't start working on the game proper till mid 2014 when they had enough money to actually get coders.

And the core game of star citizen has shifted a lot due to feature creep, it went from a space flight sim, to an immersive space game done in the first person, I agree they need to finish squadron 42 first, but they've shifted the core gameplay from basic flight sim to first person shooter with space vehicles.

This. If Roberts isn't purposefully scamming his poor followers, he's a straight up retard, who can't stay focused and prioritized. Must be the weed, i know technincal minded people like that who daydream constantly, and they all huge weed addicts.

you do realize that NMS's gameplay presentation also gained a lot of praise, and that game turned out to be nothing but a pile of shitty lies.

what skills does he have? or is he literally "ideas guy"?

NMS was really a scam, Star Ctiizen could be a scam or just the work of a very incompetent man

He mostly works as a director or producer, so yeah, I see him as an ideas guy.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Roberts_(game_developer)#Works

Yeah, but like I said, feature creep is going to be a killer. If they'd just kept it to a space shooter sim thing they might have been doing really well, but even with "public testing" of builds, fixing every bug people find will take ages and assloads of money. The more complex a game is, the higher the chance of one part of it fucking over another part in unexpected ways, and from the sound of it Star Citizen is nothing if not complex.

He's like Kojima to a T - has programming and designing skills, but hasn't coded anything in three decades and is an ideas guy at this point. Just like Kojima he has an obsession with Hollywood and even managed to get a producing credit in some B-grade movies.

Will this be the Crisis of our time?

>400 staff hired
>Scam

I don't think you lot know what a scam is.

I do agree that Chris Roberts is a horrible manager, he hasn't worked in the games industry for over a decade and thinks he can jump in and manage the biggest game ever, which only gets bigger with every senseless feature he adds. Hopefully he'll learn restraint when funding slows down and pushes SQ42 out without all this crap about having movie-like animations.

He doesn't manage the day to day shit of the production his brother and his leads do.

>even the heavily pre-rendered and scripted tech demo has a shit ton of bugs
>system crashes left and right during a fucking DEMO

Yea no. This was the only kickstarter I ever pledged money to and I absolutely regret it. RSI will declare bankruptcy before this game releases.

He still has the final say in absolutely everything, like telling them to add a scripted sandworm to last year's CitizenCon demo. Jump Point showed the devs thought he was joking at first because of how ridiculous that was, out of the blue.

He micromanages everything, hell since we last saw he almost rebuilt Levski from the ground up, and for what reason? They improved on GrimHex even though it was good enough as is, they won't have months and months to develop future systems, in the end Stanton will be of a far higher quality than all other systems if they continue this trend, or we get everything to the same standard and it launches with less than 5 systems.

CR is obsessed with everything being perfect, which would be fine if he had unlimited funding but he doesn't. I'd be surprised if they weren't running at a deficit as it with 400 staff.

>RSI will declare bankruptcy
They must burn through their cash fast, so I look forward to the "CIG declares bankrupcy" headline.
There are also rumors that they took out several bank loans.

>No Man's Sky pt. 2
Except No Man's Sky is actually pretty good now.

It's less of a scam and more of Roberts running the show like the dotcom bubble era company, the Star Trek doors and the $10,000 Espresso machines reads exactly like Romero buying the most expensive office loft space in Chase tower or whatever that was.

Well, Daikatana came out and is still touted as one of the worst videogames ever, and ol Johny now literally works at a gas station. So...

Romero literally collects gas stations m8

Then where's the version of Star Citizen that lets you fly around in a giant space sandbox and earn money shipping cargo/salvaging/space battles/etc.

Oh wait, that's right, we haven't seen any of that despite it being the main point of advertising in their Kickstarter campaign. All we've seen are alphas of a dog fighting simulator, a planet exploration simulator and an unfinished social hub.

How many years exactly has it been since they passed their expected deadline to release the expansive mutliplayer space sandbox? The main selling point of the game that was the reason people gave them so much money for all those ships that currently do nothing other than being able to look at them in your single player hanger?

My question is WHERE IS THE GAME THAT THEY PROMISED AND TOOK EVERYONE'S MONEY TO MAKE?
No one gives a shit about the dogfighting simulator, no one gives a shit about the planet walking section, no one gives a shit about the stupid social hub, THESE COULD ALL HAVE BEEN DEVELOPED AND RELEASED AS FREE DLC ADDITIONS LATER, AFTER THE GAME AS ORIGINALLY PROMISED WAS RELEASED! WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS BACKWARDS!

>1 procedurally generated moon
>0 planets
>0 star systems
>less than 10 players per server

>Witcher 3 took 3 years to make
>Regarded as the best game EVER
>This is 4 years in
>Literally nothing

It's been 6 years since the initial kickstarter ended actually.

Bugs... easy on the salt.

I'm 50 minutes in and it's ok, don't know why anyone would call it a scam or bad at this point.

It looks good, the animations are great and what they showed of the travel is nice.
I wonder about any stories for the game, questing and general world lore.
I also wonder if it will have depth and how your character will have skills/stats/gear and the complexity.