Morrowind

Morrowind
>Read note
>You, the player, read the note and surmise crucial information for the quest
>Close the note, and you can open your journal to see the quest has acknowledged you have read the note and that something critical was learned
Oblivion
>Read note
>Before the player can even read one word, a quest popup fills the screen and details everything
>Journal details the information learned from the note and tells you what you need to do now that you have this information before you, the player, have even read the note
>Close quest update, read note for redundant information where the player just thinks "yep, that's what the journal said"
Terrible fucking design. Oblivion can be a source of comfy, and has execellent writing for its quests, but guiding the player by a fucking leash with quest popups and markers really shits on the whole shebang.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Its almost like Bethesda became a worse, lazier company as they became more successful.

>this was true since the beginning and most of us aren't old enough to remember it

>climb into the mountains

even in '97 he was going on and on about those mountains

No. I don't believe the validity of these emails. This is too blatantly idiotic for The Toddler to do.

The massive worlds of the first two Elder Scrolls were not handcrafted in any way whatsoever

Agreed, this was something that really stunned me about Oblivion. I can't understand why they thought this was a good idea. It's just as bad when you complete an objective, like killing someone or whatever, and the second you do so the quest update pops up in your face, breaking any immersion.

I don't think there were any toddposters 20 years ago, who else other than Todd himself would have posted these.

Reminder that not only did Oblivion fuck the lore and led TES down a casualising slippery slope, the Horse Armor bullshit fucked the industry as whole

Oblivion is literally the cancer of all video games

todd was the original toddposter

Horse armor was mocked back then

>muh Skyrim is bad meme

You retarded idiots praise Witcher 3, and that game all the quests are the same of following red trails and red footprints while garibaldo mutters to himself

Then you get to pick dialogue A or dialogue B (or C if you're really lucky)

Skyrim had a lot more than that. so stfu

No one brought up Witcher, Skyrim baby.

But it was still successful enough for the entire industry to jump on the micro transactions bandwagon

>tfw there will never be another game like Morrowind cause everyone who worked on it probably doesn't work for Bethesda anymore or is dead

Nope, they still work there. The core development team has barely changed since Morrowind, the studio as a whole hasn't really expanded much either. They just lost their touch or got lazy, or both. Though really on a technical level they were always pretty trash.

I don't know how the fuck you missed that part OP, but people praise Oblivion's quests because they were frequently heavily scripted and/or gimmicky, creating unique scenarios such as the painting quest, the various daedra quests, or the Dark Brotherhood quests. They were memorable because they had shit happening in them: a house full of people you were supposed to kill one by one, scripted events moving things forward, strange and unique sceneries like the dream scape or again the painting shit...

That is what people remember. It's the same reason why people liked Fo3 more than Fo:NV story-wise: it's because Fo3 had these scripted "awesome" sequences up it's ass - the first attack of the behemoth near 3Dog's lair, the Enclave raid on Purifier, the fucking Liberty Prime segment... that is what people enjoy. The game "doing awesome things".

Skyrim and Fallout 4 eased up on this CoD-inspired epic scripted scenes, and that is why it got a lot of shit from the Oblivion/Fallout 3 generation.

As someone who loves Morrowind, are Arena and Daggerfall worth playing? Is the world and lore as unique as it was in Morrowind?

Daggerfall is where he setting as we know it today just barely started to come into existence, but only just barely.

>It's the same reason why people liked Fo3 more than Fo:NV story-wise

Is this bait?

Daggerfall is legitimately a good game. Arena is the epitome of clunky 90s PC rpgs and the only reason to play it is for cred

Daggerfall has literally the same gameplay, just better content and a more interesting story.

Not him, but is THIS b8? He's clearly talking about why retards prefer 3.
Have you unironically never seen anyone whine that it "doesn't make sense" to chase after someone who shot and robbed you, or that NV was "boring"?

No, it isn't. Well, the lore is, as long as you are content to just read about it in books and the occasional dialogues (most books in Morrowind are, after all, just books from Daggerfall). The world however is painfully boring and generic. If you ever played Might and Magic games, especially Might and Magic VI, then you know PRECISELY how the game world actually feels.
It's mechanically a lot more rich, but then again, it does quickly boil down fighting your way through incredibly dull proceduraly generated dungeons, or walking giant (and I mean that - GIANT -) open lands of generic landscape that bugs out all the time. But it feels like a generic fantasy, even more so than Oblivion. I mean: it has fucking Centaurs, Gargoyles, Dragonlings, Lamias... everything you'd expect from a generic Dn'D session.

As for Arena, it's just one big dungeon. Again, refer to Dungeon Keeper if you want to see what it feels like.
Daggerfall still has some things that make it worth playing if you are into this kind of games, but IT'S NOT THE WORLD-BUILDING in the way that Morrowind handled it.

It's not a bait you fucking retard, it's a cold, sad reality. Fo3 had better reception and the normies generally prefered it to NV. Are you actually, seriously fucking retarded enough to deny that?

Daggerfall is a pretty great dungeon crawler.
You probably wouldn't be losing out on anything by following a guide though. For while being a great dungeon crawler, the game remains complete and utter ass outside of it. And while I generally detest using guides and typically recommend going in blind.

Getting lost in Daggerfall is not fun. It serves you no purpose, leads you nowhere, and rewards you nothing. A complete time waster.
99% of the game is fucking nothing, disguised as content through randomized content. The trick to Daggerfall, is finding the 1% that is actually content.

I will say though. Story quests and story dungeons. Generally all great. Randomized dungeons, often good. Randomized quests? Almost all trash.
So randomized dungeons aren't actually that bad of an idea and actually does a lot to strengthen your character. But aside from that the world is fucking trash. The dungeons of Daggerfall are great though.

I love Todd Howard

>You retarded idiots praise Witcher 3
No I don't. In fact I prefer Skyrim to that shitty ubisoft game, it's just that it's also way worse than Morrowind.

Skyrim
>enter new area
>quest immediately starts telling you where to go and a marker appears on the map telling you where to go do it

The religion in Arena is literally just churches with ankhs and friars with Christian ritual animations. And I'm pretty sure ebony, the strongest armor, can only be bought from shops rather than dropped making dungeon crawling pointless aside from farming enchanted accessories and leveling. Also dungeons can get fucking huge and confusing even with the map.

It wasn't successful at all. Had it been, they'd have pursued that scheme; instead they dropped it completely and the concept of "microtransactions" (fuck this stupid term, micro my ass) didn't come back for several years.

>As for Arena, it's just one big dungeon
You must have played a different game.

arena is a cool experience, it's the only time class choice actually truly mattered
the lore is really nothing though, it's just their transposed dnd sessions mostly

it's really rather cool to see the origin of it all, and you can blow up walls too

daggerfall has the lore but its gameplay is extremely questionable
someone thought that putting red brick and mortar walls in doorways that do "something" when activated was compelling gameplay
basically it either teleports you, or instantly kills you, and there is no way to tell which unless you savescum
there's a lot of mandated savescumming in daggerfall, it's unpalatable

I'm a pleb and have only played Skyrim. Any of the others worth playing? Which ones?

my favorite part of the game was roleplaying if that matters

morrowind has a much more interesting world and oblivion is has much more interesting quests.

gameplay is worse than skyrim and that's saying a lot

Morrowind.

Best way to install/play Daggerfall?

en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files

>I have only played Skyrim
>my favorite part was roleplaying
So you haven't played Skyrim.

>gameplay is worse than skyrim and that's saying a lot
Oblivion and Morrowind having worse gameplay than Skyrim? Hell no they don't

I believe you can find some ebony pieces in later main quest dungeons. I don't recall anywhere near a whole set though.

I think he means that everything outside of dungeons is even shittier busywork than in Daggerfall.

>Skyrim had more than that
Lol