Would a Halo ring kill the combine?

Would a Halo ring kill the combine?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UL1_ht1EdAU
youtube.com/watch?v=6qfx9eoB-88
halopedia.org/Halo_Array
twitter.com/AnonBabble

nope

If Halos were superweapons then why did they have atmosphere and shit.

I think they also served as research stations for flora and fauna.
They wanted to re-seed the galaxy after the flood starved to death.

Yes, they're designed to kill all life in the galaxy with just 7 of them. A dyson sphere is nothing compared to that. The forerunners had some serious gear.

We don't really know the extent of the Combine's powers. They might occupy a single solar system, or multiple galaxies.
Speaking of which, they're not even from our universe, they operate on multidimensional scale.

The halo rings destroys all organic life, so it would deal a serious blow to them. But who knows what else they have? Or if they are also operating in different galaxies considering they have the power to build dyson spheres.

tl:dr
The halo rings would put some serious hurt to the combine, but it is not likely they would be destroyed outright.

Would a 343 kill the halo?

"no"

Why wouldn't they?

The big issue here is that the Combine are inter-dimensional. You could build a super mega Halo ring which killed all life in the universe, and it wouldn't touch them.

I thought the Combine only just stole inter-dimensional travel, and it was from humanity?

So what you are saying, the Combine are the result of Grub Riiiiiiiick getting serious.

How do you think they invaded us in the first place? And before that they discovered Xen and conquered Vortigaunts and used Xen as a forward base for invading other worlds.

>caring about cosmetics

We still don't know if Xen is another dimension or just a remote place. Or if those two things are mutually exclusive.

Yeah, forgot to add: so far Combine can only use teleportators to transport a bunch of troops at a time. And it's pretty energy inefficient too. So the Portal technology, which is very simple and portable, and creates stable portals that can continuously transport unlimited stuff through them, falling into Combine's hands would be disastrous.

Some of them kinda look cool, but as a military gear all of them look retarded, military gear needs to be aesthetically simple to look belivable

It's like a two way telephonet. They used the portal storms to come to Earth but to keep a pathway open they need the pylons on Earth. If they lose control of Earth they lose the pathway to it which is why they were so adamant in calling reinforcements.

Why would building dyson spheres imply intergalactic travel?

Why wouldn't they? Bungie used to make some goddamn pretty armor.

No, the Combine can teleport tons of stuff all at once, see the 7 Hour War. They are just limited to teleportation between dimensions/universes, once they arrive they are limited to getting around by conventional means.

It's just one of the many things they have no fucking clue what they are doing with.

It's low on the totem pole compared to gameplay.

How do we know they teleported a ton of stuff during 7 hour war?

yeah all the guns they combine shot would just fly right through

Well, the gameplay isn't exactly stellar in 343 games.

Episode 2, they used something much like the Super Portal to dump an entire army onto Earth.

Fuck off 343fag.

youtube.com/watch?v=UL1_ht1EdAU
youtube.com/watch?v=6qfx9eoB-88

Halo 5 multiplayer is the best multiplayer since Halo 2.
>le crowbcat

>Halo 5 multiplayer is the best multiplayer since Halo 2.
Halo 2 had terrible multiplayer compared to 3 and Reach.

>Reach

I always thought the Halos would destroy planets by encompassing them and firing some weapon.

The cleanse-all-universe is alot more boring and the Halos are much less clever to me now.

What do the actual combine look like?

That would take way too long.

The grubs are supposedly combine higher-ups.

Seriously though, given their supposed technological advancement, they're probably brains in jars or a consciousness uploaded into a machine. Or a collection of consciousnesses. A combination, you could even say. Oh wait.

>7 artificial satellite ring worlds that can wipe out nearly all life in the galaxy
>shield worlds that exist within slipspace
>dyson spheres
>the Ark is powered by an artificially created sun

Forerunners are one of the most crazy stupid advanced science fantasy civilizations, they're not The Culture levels of ridiculousness but they're close.

Laidlaw's blog suggests that the grubs are just spare synthetic bodies, not necessarily what the higher ups look like.
But as the name suggests, Combine consists of combined species, and combined living organisms with machines.
The "original" or governing Combine race most likely looks nothing like it did naturally and is an amalgamation of genetically engineered bodies and machinery.

>planetsized nest of automatically reproducing robot drones that can combine firepower pretending to be a fake planet because at their core they're surrounding a 1m cube of compressed space within which is an entire fucking dyson sphere, the gate only opening at specific intervals

pretty cuhrazy

You don't really realise it until you think about it. The civil war of the covenant was literally the only thing keeping Earth from being eaten like cornflakes even with Earth having discovered space travel. The Rings being able to be self repaired through the ark which is in itself mind bendingly large.

Well, there were originally 12, and all 12 would have wiped the entire galaxy. 7 would just wipe most of it.

There wasn't originally 12 you giganigga, 7 is the magic number.

remember when Sup Forums joked that little kids would come on here and be nostalgic over halo

Only bad ones there are 5 and 7. Seriously, fuck the entire Seeker set, who thought it looked okay.

Sorry m8 but halo 5 is the first halo game, in my opinion, that emulates the feeling of being a super soldier.

no, I've only been here a month.

lol can anyone explain to me why you feel like you're running through molasses in most halo games

was good speed too much to handle for console players?

FoV.

You run really fucking fast in Halo games.

>spartans vs combine
that'd be something
halo 4 and 5 were gay because were on fucking excess wiping the floor with everything
dumbest shit was removing flood from 4 AND 5
chief is still sleeping in space

I mean sure, if you get shot enough you fall to the ground and wait for your team to revive you instead of just dying.

I guess that kinda counts, you don't die unless you bleed out.

Flood were more advanced.

halopedia.org/Halo_Array

I don't give a shit about stupid 343-era rewrites.

>can sprint indefinitely
>can climb shit
>can use your thrusters to ground pound or charge through a fucking wall

Silly me, should've realised that you would've known all this had you actually played the game.

I really like their fucked up sense of architecture and scale though.

They make buildings that last on the geological scale, so large they'd have their own microclimates and be visible from space.

Then they give them one room that has one function, and the rest is just for shits and giggles.

It's like, they'll make a building called the library the information of which can fit on something the size of a usb even with inferior human technology. but they decided to make it a mountain sized future-brutalist abomination squatting on the countryside visible for miles around.

I love that. It's like they've admitted to themselves that theyve reached their zenith as a society and have now just resigned themselves to making buildings that make their balls feel big.

I like to imagine what a Forerunner holiday home looks like. Im imagining something so big it looks like the base for a space elevator built on the coast. so big it is it's own peninsula. Then in the centre of all this monumentalist architectural grandure somewhere there's just a deck chair and a shitty book.

I wonder if designing your own insanely massive buildings is just a hobby Forerunners have because they have shit else to do.

>the canon isn't true if I don't like it

Pretty much yeah, got a problem with that?

Yeah I fukken have m8 u wanna go I'll fukken stripe u cheeky cunt

Go take the hot cock of 343 elsewhere

But I did, I finished it on Legendary a day before the game came out. It was pathetically easy.

You've got a point I guess, although it still felt like I was just some dude in power amour instead of an actual spartan.

Oh well, it's just opinions.

It's the builder sect man. They're fucking crazy about buildings 'n shit

I never played 4 and 5, how did they remove the Flood
Or did they just not put them in it.

The sun is setting in the artwork. Its almost as if they knew.

How did the halos kill stuff again?

Did they emit a pulse or something?

Beams

spooky space memes

Halo 5 is not easy on legendary cos your squad are such a fucking hindrance, thankfully though I think they're dropping them for 6.

Please tell me though, what's the difference between a Spartan and a "dude in power armour"? It seems to me like what you could do in halo 5 is what any Spartan should be able to do since the first game.

>I never played 4 and 5, how did they remove the Flood
did you play 3 dumbass?

I played it like 40 times and read some of the books, and I still don't understand.

Difference is conditioning, since most spartans were trained from a very young age and show almost no real emotion such as fear, sadness, anger, and etc. they operate at much higher combat efficiency. That's saying nothing of the intensive genetic and physical augmentation they underwent as well.

tl;dr the difference is that most dudes in power armor are just dudes in power armor, but spartans are genetic emotionless captain americas with power armor attached to them.

A bubble of radiation that spreads outward at the speed of light, breaking down biomass on a molecular level. So anything close to the ring itself is instantly vaporized, but anything close to the 25,000ly range gets mega cancer and dies a slightly slower death.

probably some sort of Brain scrambling EMP-like pulse
except instead of destroying the electronics in machines it destroys the electric receptors in brains
but then again I am one of the Baby's whos last halo knowledge game from when 3 was new so all my knowledge is probably been outdated or retconned

You've said nothing about actual combat practices. Are you saying master chief wouldn't smash through a wall if he needed to because he'd be embarrassed or something?

Halo 5 is stupidly easy on Legendary BECAUSE of the Squad. The only hard part was the last boss fight because there were three people you had to deal with. Otherwise the game is all about abusing the iron sights on all the weapons, killing squad mates so they'd respawn with a pistol you could steal, and abusing the fact that you don't die when you're down. It's almost like playing the game on co-op and having someone stand back all the time.

To me, the Spartan 4's just felt like people who were given a suit of armour that enhanced them and from there the suit was giving them their powers. If you take that away, they're nothing but people. Spartan 2's on the other hand were genetically enhanced to be superior even without the suits. Sure they couldn't run and grapple onto stuff gameplay wise and thrusters were given during space missions, but they were pretty much engineered to be superior to others and the suits just helped them do this even more.

Oh yeah, I forgot there's like a caste system or some shit.

Well that's what's done it. This is the Scifi equivalent of people being paid by the hour always finding more shit to do.

> Hey Jeff, I'm glad I caught you. I just need to have a *little* chat.

> Sure Malcolm, what's up?

> Well, look. You know I respect you a lot. And I really liked what you did with the retirement cottage for my folks. I was a little... nervous at first, but Dad sems to really enjoy riding the maglev to bed.

> Wait until he finds the rally track.

> Um. yeah. Um. And you know I'd never tell you how to do your job...

> I'm hearing a 'but'.

> Yeah. Well. I was looking over the plans for this new installation. I... can't help but notice it's grown a little beyond the original outline. In that we handed you some rough blueprints for a half a kilometer long super weapon and you seem to have started building something with the surface area of ten worlds and the extraneous function of housing 50 billion people.

> And?

> I'm going to end up speaking to the union again aren't I Jeff you fucker.

That'd be pretty cool but it wouldn't do much to stop the flood, cos all they need to infect something is a nervous system.

>mega cancer
i didn't know the rings when off at the start of halo 4.

I don't disagree with you user, take a Spartan 2 and a Spartan 4, strip them of their armour, put them in the ring, and it would be like putting a lamb to slaughter.

All I'm saying is if someone completely new to the series was to play halo 3 and then halo 5, and then asked which one made them feel like a super soldier, they'd say 5.

Would a Gundam colony kill a Halo ring?

You can't be serious that you believe every little poddling was on that ship they crashed on Earth. No way the Gravemind didn't have a plan B

>A halo game where the rings fling out copies of halo 4, and everyone who plays it feels like killing themself afterwards

I'd play it

>hey Builder Jeff, about that new storage facility
>"what about it Warrior-Servant Alex?"
>well it was originally meant to house things like rations, ammo, weapons, and the like
>"yeah, and?"
>well I just took a look at the finished result and I have to say man
>"say what?"
>well it's big. And I mean like really big. We did some measurements and, well, the walls appear to be about 60 feet thick in most spots. The actual building only has one entrance, and while that's fine, we just don't understand why it needs to be so bi-
>"hold on hold on, why don't I ask one of my other builders for their opinion. Hey Builder Greg. What do you think about the new storage facility?"
>"honestly, I think we should make it bigger. Also it needs to have the standard giant floating pylons that serve no real purpose to the structure itself, and they should be constantly rotating around the facility"
>"I agree"

are you two retarded? at the end of halo 3 the gravemind tries to take over the halo installation before you set it off but fails and you kill it. it even pleads with you not to fuck its shit up.

it's not complicated.

That's a fair assumption. If you know little about the lore, and just care from a gameplay perspective then I can see where you're coming from. Spartan 4's would indeed feel like a more powerful version and give the feeling of a super solider. Although, you could imply that the other characters commenting on the chief, the whole "feeling" the player would get from being one of a kind person and all the stuff you would do (from taking down scarabs to grunts running away from you in fear) would probably all add up into the experience of being a super solider.

Personally, I felt the squad system made them all seem weak in comparison. It was always 4 people sharing the combat, instead of 1 person taking it all one with help from marines, and if you died it was mainly because of the squad being stupid rather than your own mistakes.

I also never messed with any of the super powers. I just sprinted a lot and grappled accordingly. I guess they were lost on me.

>People ITT seriously believe a Spartan 4 could beat a Spartan 2
>A random military person given some training as to not crush themselves in a watered down Mjorinir armor
>vs
>A genetically enhanced super human who as been trained since they were 5 to be a killing machine

I've never watched Gundam, but all you need to do to destroy a Halo ring is blow a reasonably sized chunk in it ( any size will do as long as you break it from being a full circle). Centripetal force tears it apart from there.

Weirdly, not a weakness it would have had if they'd decided to not build it as an entire environment.

Underrated

Literally no one in this thread is saying that, just that from a gameplay perspective, you feel like you're playing a super soldier moreso in halo 4 than earlier games.

Zeon are heroes trying to save us from the devil's penal colony.

If getting shot multiple times and moving on with superhuman healing didn't make you feel super, nor infinite respawns, maybe you shouldn't be playing video games

Regenerating health and infinite respawns are in a myriad of games you fucking moron.

i don't know what the fuck that is but halo rings have extensive automated defenses and can kill any life form in 25k light years after a small charging time (i don't know exactly how long but it seems to be less than a day)

2bh i feel like a real fucking badass when i'm playing super mario

it's true that the FOV is insultingly low in the halo games

now for another question

master chief has a super advanced power armor, and you're telling me that he's stuck with shitty LED lights on his helmet instead of some kind of night vision or infrared?

Halo CE had night vision on the sniper rifle.

then why not just take out the middleman and build it into his suit

his wonderful suit that allows him to run at 1 mile per hour

put a kid in minecraft creative mode and he will make outrageous structures for no reason, similar thing to the forerunner construction crew i imagine

The Halo rings weren't used to stop the flood directly, they were used to kill out all biological life in any form so that the flood eventually starve and wither away. For a while it actually kinda worked but IIRC a few pods remained and survived just long enough to re-encounter their food source and the flood begun anew.