Why are Japanese games shit when they follow their own tropes but fucking phenomenal when they use a Western tone...

Why are Japanese games shit when they follow their own tropes but fucking phenomenal when they use a Western tone and/or setting? The combination of the grounded Western tone and the Japanese eccentric ideology create for games with quality far exceeding western counterparts.

Also seen in Souls and Resident Evil.

I had sex today.

Because a different culture scares you, and you feel more comfortable with a culture you identify with.

how big was he?

Because (You) can more easily relate to the setting, but appreciate the more tongue-in-cheek fun that you'd otherwise not get in your own country's products.

>Dark Souls
>western tone
Pick one mein dear friend

>Why are Japanese games shit when they follow their own tropes but fucking phenomenal when they use a Western tone and/or setting?
Because they're pandering to you.

Not OP but show me any japanese game that features japanese tone but is not an jrpg with teen girls saving the world.

I only know JSR, and that's one of my favorite games of all time.

Hmm, I never really gave it thought, but it seems that western games are too stuck in their own tropes to innovate on them much.
You might be able to say the same of the japs. By introducing the jap tropes into a western setting you get some wholly original outcomes that are succesful with both western and japanese audiences

that doesn't explain why their take on western culture is better than actual western titles

>Not OP but show me any japanese game that features japanese tone but is not an jrpg with teen girls saving the world.
>inb4 "Amaterasu's a girl!!"

because they arent fuckin commies

EAST MEETS WEST

Kero Blaster

It's hard to judge something when you're a part of it. It's not only Japan. Look at Mafia 1 and 2. They're made by Czech devs. GTA is made by bongs, etc.

the vice versa works as well like undertale and Overwatch

Yakuza? Nioh? Okami? There's a lot of such games. Teen girls saving the world are far superior to all this shit though.

Because of their spectator's point of view.
To them, all this is foreign and even bizarre. It allows them to notice and pay attention to things that could be totally mundane and ignored to us westerners. They also have the history of this spooky western cultures slowly sipping into their (long confined) society, altering their nation a great deal in the past century.

This.
Max Paynes were made by Finns.

The hoops people go through to avoid admitting they like japanese games always impresses me.

Western developers want to create uncomplicated experiences - in gameplay, tone and storytelling. They strip their games of nuance

Compare Resident Evil Outbreak, which has 8 unique characters with unique abilities, designs and personalities to Left 4 Dead, which has 4 characters that are exactly the same

Left 4 Dead is genius in it's simplicity, though. Not everything needs to be complicated.

He was a big guy

>Left 4 Dead is genius in it's simplicity, though

Maybe if you're a retard I guess (like most Americans)

The only good part of L4D is the 4v4 versus mode. The campaign/co-op is basically just a shitty bot single player training mode.

For you?

>Souls
>western tone
???