Can someone explain what the appeal of playing as a sniper is in video games? Why is it so popular...

Can someone explain what the appeal of playing as a sniper is in video games? Why is it so popular? I can't think of a more boring role to play. And why are most people terrible at it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wgHRj2-vvs8#t=1m10s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Can someone explain what the appeal of playing as a sniper is in video games?
Satisfaction of 1 shot, 1 kill ideology, together with keeping yourself out of harm's way. It's an active support role that usually requires some skills to be pulled off well.

However, majority of the shooting games are not really optimized for true sniping, resulting these rushing 360-no-scope-bitches CoD kids think that every soldier in the world should be equipped with an AWM or Barrett.

>And why are most people terrible at it?
see above

>1 shot 1 kill
I get that, but shotguns also do that and they are so much more satisfying

Playing a sniper is essentialy point and click, no need to worry about health or enemies in front of you. You just stand at a massive distance and insta-kill most people one by one. The most retarded usage of sniping I have ever seen in my entire life has to be from CS:GO, where you can literally get one-shot-killed by being hit in the torso, without rewarding actually doing headshots, resulting in retards bunnyhopping in order to live being shot in the legs. Most people are terrible at it because sniper gameplay is really, really dependant on your ping. Hitboxes can be fucky at times and it's no different with sniping. Your pinpoint accuracy is thrown off because a hit did not connect despite you being able to see that the game did show that the target was hit. Most sniper mains are people with extremely good internet connections.

Daily reminder Canada was so buttmad about the Brits taking their sniping record that they used their SPECIAL FORCES equipped with 0.50cal sniper rifles to be able to beat the British shot. When the British shot was taken by a grunt, using a sub .50cal rifle, he managed to kill 2 targets in a row AND with a 3rd shot knock out their MG so it couldn't be used without repair.

You don't see the USA putting Delta Force kills or the Brits using SAS sniper kills (and they have A LOT, they've been killing ISIS in the middle east for about 4 years now, they get around 30 a night or some shit iirc).

Canada wanted the Top 5 to be all Canadian but the British record fucked them up so they've gone all out to beat it. 3/5 are Canadian, 1 is American I think.

But back to OP. Because doing one shot kills can be immensly beneficial to the team if you target prioritize. I was lucky, back in the day, to meet the 7th best BFBC2 player in the world. I got him to join a clan (which later had a meeting without all my friends and myslef and voted to kick me for no reason after I made the clan, even then only by 2 votes) and he used the SV98 and was great with it. Good people are great of their team. There's more skill in doing long range shots than there is spraying and praying. But sadly the dude left the clan after I told him peopl were shit talking him behind his back. Come to think of it, that's probably why I was voted out LMAO.

Shotguns also have a very short effective range

Snipers are faggots. Just go play myst.
Pussies too beta to engage in 1 on 1 combat, using mastery of recoil and sustained aim on a target.

shotguns in 90% of video games are shit and you know it

>one hit kill from a safe distance
Why play anything else?

There was a reason you got kicked, user. Don't lie to us. Did you suck? Or were you spouting off memes 24/7?

sniper+shotty is always a popular combination in games that let you have both, like in Halo

It's the easiest way of padding KD by far

this, thought I suspect it has more to do with "I can kill you, but you can't hit me." Like ganking low levels on mmos or whatever.

No. The clan was 5 or so members when I joined, I turned it into the most popular server in the world, I made the clan 30+, I organised all the matches and shit. I was a moderator and admin. But I think that was largely it. I made the place big and BF3 was coming out, I said it was pretty shit when I got into the alpha and they didn't believe me and I said I wasn't planning on playing it. As I said, I told the player that he was being shitposted behind his back 'oh he's a hacker he can't be THIS good' and 'oh let's record him and report him to EA' and I basically asked him 'do you hack?' and he went 'no, wtf?' and I said why and he got mad and left. So my guess is they got mad I told a dude something that he needed to hear? Dude didn't even get to defend himself.

I mean the clan kicked other people fo no reason and shit, one of them got buttmad he hacked the owners facebook and wifes facebook and shitposted. I didn't do any of that. Pretty sure it was because they thought they didn't need me to keep the clan going as everything was organised and didn't like me telling people that they were being talked about badly behind their back without any chance to defend themselves.

No skin off my nose, the clan collapsed before the week was out after BF3 release.

>there are international ISIS hunting competitions

t. silver
git gud

Yeah it's all about making the engagement unfair in your favour.

its comfy and relaxing

Well I was talking about longest recorded kill shot with a sniper rifle, not kills per day. I was poitning out Canada got mad and had to use special forces and high-tech sniper rifles to beat some random Brit fuck with whatever shitty gun he probably had who made 3 difficult shots in a row. Then saying that Special Forces are out killing ISIS right now and have been for years but they don't disclose their information.

What game has the most realistic ballistic simulation? Does it let you adjust the windage and elevation on your telescopic sight etc.

All pure sniper players are fucking fags.

I mean, it's a winning strategy. Not as much fun for "balanced" gaming though.

easy one hit kills with no downsides

aiming>spraying

one reason why BF1 is so retarded, WW1 shouldn't be 90% automatic weapons

>Can someone explain to me why people like the things that I don't like?
>I like the things I like more than things others like.

The world must be such a scarry place for you. Do you wake up every morning screaming?

Not only this but the semi auto weapons and the machine guns are so fucking iffy in their hitreg.

Fuck BF1

Its called progress you moronic fuck. So what because some useless cunt got a kill with a slingshot in 400BC nobody is allowed to used anything more advanced? Fuck right off with that shit you dumb nigger.

Entirety of history is people getting higher tech to kill at longer range, but somehow to you it must all look so confusing, thinking its about some kind of competition? I'd say kill yourself but I guess that'd be impossible for you, what with the fear of being called mad over someone else killing themselves faster with less effort.

Moron.

>Brit fuck with whatever shitty gun he probably had
British snipers use Accuracy International sniper rifles which are by all accounts excellent high tech weapons.

t. some chump who died to much in COD.

Snipers are a great defensive class.

it just ain't right, you look at some gameplay video of BF1 and it's just a bunch of people running around with LMGs and SMGs spraying bullets everywhere.... seriously wtf, it's basically a modern warfare setting with a WW1 texture pack, then again i think even BF4 had less spray and pray bullshit

To be frank, all BF games had absolutely garbage hitreg

I love running around with the smg and ar boys quickscoping and noscoping faggots shits cash

I enjoy helping my team out with last second saves and it's easier to do that from a distance where you can see more than just one friendly at a time.

youtube.com/watch?v=wgHRj2-vvs8#t=1m10s

Because everyone watched this scene and thought it was radical as hell.

Because it punishes stupidity and fun.

>game in which the mindset is to run around the map running and gunning like retards
>add a sniper
>you sit back in a location with only one or two lanes of access shooting the people who are running around the map
>get called a camper
>people can't run'n'gun anymore because you will always have the drop on them
>game pace slows way the fuck down or turns into a sniper battle

Basically it's fun because 9/10 it ruins the way everyone else wants to play the game and forces them to play the way YOU enjoy.

Anyone who complains about camping is a fag.

Camping is a legit tactic.

I don't play COD
>defensive class.
Spotted overdrone

I like it when too many people start trying to snipe. You can just check the same camping spots while doing laps of the map at light speed and flying round corners like Max Payne, all while giggling at the steady accumulation of rage in the chat log.

never post again