Underrail

I'm at a point where i just wonna finish the game, why are deep caverns so hard and tedious?

Did I simply go down to early?

Other urls found in this thread:

underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=2162.msg12471#msg12471
youtu.be/ftWRSvRbUV0?t=44m17s
underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=2265.0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>hahaha le epic underrail thread get le in here jacks XD

kys my man reddit is that way

Is this autism?

(you)
fucking sjdubyas reeeeeee

wth

Which level and what build?

seconding this, certain builds are a lot harder to play through them with

also if the issue is you're being swamped by endless respawning enemies there's a neat trick: as long as the debuff doesn't reach 20 they will not spawn and you can reset the debuff by hiding in various shelters underground (look for manholes)

some of them can only be opened if you have a crowbar with you

>try to play this on two separate occasions
>find out an hour into playing I fucked up selecting skills both times
Fuck this goddamn game. You can't even find a decent build that tells you exactly how many points to put into what online, its all theory crafting shit I have no interest in

Wasn't a fan of the endgame either. My character had already reached its peak potential so there was no enjoyment to be derived from killing all the stupid monsters or even doing the quests, which took fucking forever in the massive, shitty area.

The place wasn't even interesting, and to top it off the official storyline was by far the least interesting; filled to the brim with characters you just want to kill, and monsters you get no real explanation of when you do kill them. What was Tchort? Who knows? And who gives a shit? And every question you ask Six is produces a response that makes you want to kill him. But the motherfucker was immortal, just to piss you off. At least I was able to kill a lot of those insanely stupid faceless cunts.

Level 18 and Guns + Trapper, no psy at all

Nah, the caverns is the are that gets you to max level when you're level 18.

It's not rocket science, user. You pick a combat skill or psi and max it. You put points into your combat skill's attribute. Everything else is up to you, but it doesn't take a genius to understand that if you shoot guns, mechanics can be useful, but if you throw grenades chemistry is better.

But here, have an example of one that tells you exactly what to put where:
underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=2162.msg12471#msg12471

>What was Tchort? Who knows? And who gives a shit?

Well, how do you expect to get an answer to this question if you try to kill everyone who might be able to answer it?

Never done a gun build myself, but finishing all the quests in lower underrail including junkyard and core city right before infiltrating the institute already made me level 23. Sound like you skipped a lot or just missed it.

source?

Yeah, I asked Six; he didn't say shit. I assumed the faceless wouldn't have anything interesting to say either, especially considering all those niggers tried to do all game was mindrape me at every opportunity. And if they couldn't successfully achieve it they'd try to kill me. If they weren't evil to the core and deserving of eradication because of it then they were so horrifyingly shitty and incompetent at not being evil that I still felt morally obligated to eliminate as many as possible of them.

Faceless are quite literally one of the few groups who could explain it to you

Legit spoilers, don't click if you don't want to know
Tchort is the result of the faceless overthrowing their biocorp masters and tossing all the lead scientists into a vat of mutagen, there they stewed and combined into the creature known as Tchort.

unfortunately for you, you are underleveled and have a fairly difficult build for the caverns
I'd suggest scrounging the area for sufficient parts, try to power level a bit if you can (look everywhere for oddities and quests, don't do the tchortist quest before meeting with the faceless first though) and for the love of god: take your time to solve the mutagen puzzle, yours is not a build that can just power through

I started playing this game about a week ago and I've sunk 32 hours into it. I fucking love it man. It legit feels like the angel child of Fallout 1/2 and Metro(in terms of setting). Apart from when I did a stupid and non-viable build and couldn't get past the Psi-beetles I haven't really noticed this whole 'difficulty' meme. I enjoy it greatly, and I find that the soundtrack is really underrated.

I've just found the cell phone with the Faceless' motive on it, am I far off the end? I sort of want to do another playthrough using either guns or knives. Also, is there a big difference between the experience modes? I went with Classic this time, since that's what I'm used to. Oddities does sound pretty cool though.

the cellphone is a backup for if you manage to screw up completely and lock yourself out of all other ways of continuing the main quest

and seriously I'd suggest doing oddity if you're doing a new playthrough, it's one of the more unique features of the game and despite being a bit strange at first I personally found it to be more enjoyable for this type of rpg than a regular xp system

The greatest tragedy in UnderRail's conception is it's completely ignorant ass lack of moddability.

>No Stalker/Metro modsets to play through it on.

The difficulty spike when you leave SGS for the mutant infested area of Junkyard catches a lot of people off guard.

Six is probably physically incapable of giving useful information, he is like that. You can even call him out on it like half a dozen times,

But if you earn their trust the Faceless are pretty talkative and can tell you some interesting things. There is also one more person who can more or less explain the rest of the story to you, but that was only added back in december, so you might not know about that one.

Is it? I admit, I had to look that part up on the wiki since I had no clue at all what to do and where to go next. I just let whatshisface die at the electronics shop for some reason. What's the 'actual' progression supposed to be like? I probably will do Oddities next run, it did seem very unique and interesting.

Oh yeah, I did have a bit of an issue with that. Luckily I have experience cheesing turn-based games, so it took more time than effort.

well it had a rather limited dev team (7 or so people in total) and worked with it's own custom toolset. Moddability wasn't a priority

Why is psi so op?

it's not near as op as you think
most powerful build I've tried so far was a non-psi sniper
a lot of psi's utility can be replicated with good use of consumables

Because it is versatile, like any good magic system, and not reliant on resources like ammo so it's hard to accidentally fuck yourself into a corner.

I'll be honest, Six really ruined the final act for me right off the bat. That character almost couldn't have triggered me more if it tried, and I was genuinely upset that by completing the game I was doing what he wanted me to. Rarely have I felt a stronger desire to kill someone who isn't real. In retrospect, I wonder if it would've been possible to escape without needing to kill Tchort just to spite that guy.
The tedious quests soured my mood further, to the point where I only finished the game because I felt like I couldn't at that point.

>What was Tchort?
If you are a Slav, it literally means devil, so duh, not even a question.

How OP can snipers really be? I cleared every single combat encounter in the game without any preparation or real min/maxing on my first time as a psi, granted it was on normal. Only real weakness of the build seems to be sustained single-target damage, and that you'll get oneshot more easily.

Though it did involve a lot of reloading from combat encounters that resulted in my death before I could perform a single action, or from lame stuff like randomly dying from full health/shields because a sniper out of line of sight aimed shot me.

> I wonder if it would've been possible to escape without needing to kill Tchort

That information is not relevant to your mission

One hit kills for almost every shot. The downside is you can only fire a few shots. I love the dragonov for its capacity.

Oddity is a horrible idea to do... for a first playthrough. So you are golden: once you finish the game, replay it with oddity system involved.

The system is quirky, for lack of other word and it takes a while to get used to it, but if you, say, played Fallout: Tactics or Dead State, it should feel just right for you with oddities.

proper sniper builds can kill 2 to 3 enemies in 1 turn guaranteed, then retreat into stealth successfully
also you can stealthily pre-emptively create trap chokepoints

Any idea if the expansion going to be a separate campaign or part of the main game?

dragonov is decent but you can make custom snipers with less AP cost per shot

also it's not "almost every shot" it is "every shot", even the final boss can be killed in 1 shot

Sniper rifle of any type basically GUARANTEES a string of one-hit kills at absurd range to that. I don't think there is anything with bigger single attack damage in the game than this class of weapons.

Seriously, sniper rifles are the only reason why bother at all with firearms.

What? What the fuck is wrong with underrail ? It's literally the only good isometric RPG on the market.

Is it actually OP? I went with it on my first run since it seemed cool and different, but I wasn't under the impression that it's better than the other combat styles.

Looks like I really am golden as soon as I finish this playthrough then! I actually played Tactics extensively too, and actually loved it. I do think I'll enjoy Oddities.
I wasn't answered on how far off the end I am though!

>Trap chokepoints
kek

Please tell me that's not a trap.

It's going to be mid-game, but will not be directly connected to the main quest.

70%? Something like that.

If you played Tactics, then you should remember how exp was distributed after each mission. Oddities work similar - you gain exp only for random sweeps of seemingly useless junk.

...Really?

Well that fucking sucks. Guess I gotta go make a new character and get him to mid-game.

Oh? I could've sworn the description said you also get exp for completing missions. Would you say it's slower or quicker than Classic?

on which?
a custom spearhead sniper with a rapid reloader can get to 24 AP per shot in addition to better move'n shoot precision as well as room for additional addons to make it even better

also has higher baseline damage using good quality parts

a general truth regarding underrail: custom weapons are superior

You have tons of utility and the feats are fucking phenomenal. They're adding in time manipulation in the expansion so who knows just how crazy pure Psi builds are going to get.

It entirely depends on how you play the game. If you are going to just stick to quests - it will be slower. If you are going to explore around - MUCH faster, despite fighting no longer giving you exp.
Either way, it makes the gameplay quite unique

I made a badass hand cannon that would drop even fully armored targets in two hits.

>In retrospect, I wonder if it would've been possible to escape without needing to kill Tchort just to spite that guy.

It's not, but you can try to defy him until the very end. There are even dialog changes if you tried to kill him but have successfully escaped before he could have killed you. So the game definitely doesn't expect you to be best friends with him.

>custom equipment is superior
here, ftfy

If they're going for a sequel I hope you have the option of taking him out along with Tanner

If you still have an endgame save that will work too, it's just the expansion content opens up about halfway through the game and the difficulty was made with that in mind. Although some things like the new psi school and weapons will be available from the start, and some new content will be for endgame-level.

the time manipulation however was specifically designed to be used with non-psi skills

so basically psi-monk is going to be even more insane, in addition to all the existing insanity you'll be able to time stop, punch some sucker a million times, end it and and then watch him blow up instantly

any kenshiro jokes are wholly appropriate

You do get xp for finishing quests but you only get 1 or 2 points per quest mainly
You will probably level slower in Oddity than Classic from my experience as in oddity I'm at the end game after doing all quests I could and am just lvl 20, classic xp would be 1 or 2 levels higher than that

Why is this build more difficult than others? I'm playing like that too.

What is your build for a psi monk? I ended up going for a glass helicopter that could deliver a fuck load of small hits and get the hell out of dodge before anyone could blast his ass away.

throughout most of the game it's perfectly fine
however the deep caverns has a decent number of stationary "turret" type enemies who can't be trapped which you'll have to defeat with your pistol

it can get a bit annoying

also it's the build that has the most difficulty with the final boss, but the final boss does have an optional puzzle beforehand to make it easier which I'd recommend doing with that build

do note: it is entirely possible to finish the game, it's just not as easy as full psi or sniper

pretty much the same for me, shitload of boosted small hits
it's the sort of playstyle that will be boosted by time stop shenanigans most

Because your build requires tactical thinking while a psi guy can just show up, cast a explode on death spell on one guy, kill that guy, and kill the entire group of enemies with just that one move.

how do you fags deal with crawlers without chugging antidotes nonstop? I think flares are supposed to do something, but I can't make it work

2 Builds that are fun and work for me.

Mind Vampire -
Knives
Scare
Invisibility
Shadow People
Better Vampire simulator then VtM:B

Kinetic Titan -
Heavy Armors
Power Fist
Intimidate
Shock Everyone

I beat the game with both, it was fun. But all the other builds I can think off aren't as interesting. I don't want to be just some soldier dude.

Holy shit, why did he nerf pistols then? I'm struggling to kill a single enemy per round so he won't heal yourself to 3/4 hp again.

You should consider killing yourself if you really believe that.

Bear traps + quick tinkering. When they attack and poison you, you have two turns to find a narrow way and place a trap. In this manner your stun will wear off quickly than trapped crawler.

youtu.be/ftWRSvRbUV0?t=44m17s

if you throw a flare at their position while they're stealthed it unstealths them, also light makes stealth detection easier but they have such high stealth skill it barely matters

I want to know who's the good guy first. Or at least less evil.

if I could see them while they're stealthed wouldn't I just blast their ass instead of chucking flares

>evil
Oh you poor naive child.

Both of those fuckers are manipulative shits that decided to fuck around with you. There's no escaping the vengeance train.

I've been using the oddity xp system on my first run.

Is this a bad idea?

Nope, oddity is the way the game's meant to be played.

People complain that regular XP mode reaches level limit too fast.

i lost my save to a bug once and to the arena the second time

dont have the heart to go through another playthrough. good game but eh

>Decided to try Psi
>After playing Guns/techcrafter

>Do this after not playing Underrail for a year or more

>Remember why I initially said fuck Psi.

Anyone got a Psi Build recommendation? I cant' find a straight up character guide anywhere.

But I know how to make a super highspeed MLGNOSCOPE Gunslinger any day of the week.

And then what?

I'm a reasonable guy. If one of them wants to bribe me and the offer is good, who am I to hold grudges?

I am currently playing a psi/stealth build, the goal is to go full glass cannon and never be hit
See the thread below for an example
underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=2265.0

You can just take the bribe and then blow their ass up.

>shock bolts
>incendiary bolts
>poison bolts

>people still use guns

Three in everything except consitution, will, and intelligence. Con should be 10, will 10, and int 8.

>Con 10 in a Psi build

Mine's at 4 and I'm doing just fine. What's the point of it?

Psi Beetles hitting for 10-20pts a strike in the start would be my guess.

Tanking the shit out everything that can hurt you. Also, thick skull.

Depend on your gameplay style. Oddity system is fun even the first way around, but with the assumption you are not "green" in "classic" cRPG.

>Adrenaline shot!
>Burst!
>Burst!
>Burst!

>thick skull.
That isn't really useful for a psi build which with 10+ Will has the best stun resist and also has Locus of Control later on

Not to mention psi has plenty of use for biology. Upping it by 10 points for Bullhead is a small investment compared to 10 CON.

Would anyone like to recommend a decent knife and gun build(s)? Can you use them together, or is it better to specialize in one?

I think you should pick one.
You technically can max both skills, but you're very limited with feats.

Yeah, that's reasonable. Given that my current playthough is Psi, maybe I should just go with melee to change it up. I was always a fan of melee builds.

You can use them together, high dexterity is going to be good for both. As for the feat concern, Cut-throat and Crippling Strike for knife is enough, the rest can go into gun.

Good advice! What kind of armor does this kind of build use? Armor in this game is something I can't quite seem to wrap my head around. Like, the guide I used for my Psi build said Tactical Vests are the way to go, but what exactly makes them better than the other alternatives?

Mobility for the most part.

Heavier armors have really heavy mobility penalties, you can't move around and shit Psionic Brimstone & Hellfire on people in heavy armor.

Tactical Vests/Coats allow you the mobility to zip around like a Daemon from the warp, scouring mortal eyeballs from skulls.

They can take bullets better than steel armor

I played it until I reached the main hub city, then somehow lost will to continue. I dont know why, since I replaed first Fallout lately and didnt had problems with cities divided into screens and lack of minimap. Perhaps the lack of world map for faster traveling? Or lack of ANY kind of map at all? I didnt even found any online map.

Also, played on normal and constantly felt completely weak. Switched to easy and it felt better but I was still doing rather bad. Full PSI build by the way. Falout was MUCH easier.

Riot gear is underpowered in my opinion.

Should have tried to use guns.

In addition to what the other user's said, they're the only armor in the game that allows you to add psibeetle carapace to them which reduces psi-skill costs