160 million dollars and no set release date

>160 million dollars and no set release date

Believe in Chris. Look, he's trying.to create a world. You gonna get mad because there are a few craters in the world? Give the guy a little oxygen.

So here's the conversation going on right now. You have a probably small, decent sized contingency saying "Durr, this is exactly what was supposed to happen, you get a crash, and I told you this game is never gonna come out and blablablablabla", so that's one group. You got a larger group over here (I like to think larger) saying "Hey look. Your man, Chris 'Lord' Roberts, is trying to build something that has never been done before. AND he's not showing you a pre-recorded tech demo. He's not even showing you a game recording. They're doing it live." "Well, user, this just shows that 3.0 isn't ready." Something we already knew. Is it probably further away than we expect? Probably. HOWEVER... It's still gonna be sweet.

Wasn't the same shit said about no man's sky?

I love this pasta

It's just too perfect. No Man's Sky is happening again only a year after its release and I can't wait to witness all of it.

Looks like you're trying to have a Star Citizen thread. Just got some friendly guidelines to make sure everyone feels comfortable. Please follow them.

>Do not question why Chris is still selling ships
>Do not question why Chris picked a pretty but highly ineffective choice for the games engine
>Do not bring up the fact the glaring bugs that make the alpha unplayable have been in the game since its first release, and are still present in every patch.
>Do not talk of Chris's past failures, such as his terrible Wing Commander movies or the fact Microsoft had to save Freelancer from its endless bloated dev cycle
>Don't question why Chris is trying to sell you a webcam.
>Yes, Chris spent over $10k on an automatic door for his offices, but it was an important step in motivating his team to do their best, please remember this!
>Do NOT bring up the escapist lawsuit where Chris was so needlessly triggered over a websites stupid article that would have been forgotten in a week that he spent backer money on a fruitless lawsuit

It's gonna be sweet and your children will be the ones to enjoy it, a slap in the face for original backers basically as this will come out when I outgrow fucking vidya gaming.
this is 2020 minimum.

>sold all of my bullshit for double the price I spent on it to fuckwits on reddit
>the LTI ship black market bubble burst and now they're worthless

>the LTI ship black market bubble burst and now they're worthless
It was never a bubble, its a wave. The prices for LTI ships will go back up once the game is released, whenever the fuck that will be.

>The prices for LTI ships will go back up once the game is released
Maybe the first week. Once people actually play the game they won't give a shit.

>Game about growing in wealth and getting bigger and better ships
>Pay real money to get the ships before hand
I don't get why you'd do that. What are these people who start out with every ship in the game even going to do?

grief everyone

Attack plebs without ships. The whole game is Pay to Win nonsense. It doesn't sound fun. the gameplay shown also looks boring. Just go aroudn doing random missions?

>play on a private server
>nobody gets anything; everyone starts from scratch

It's the only way to play.

>Don't question why Chris is trying to sell you a webcam

This actually baffled me when I read about it. They're partnering with another company to sell this webcam that works alongside the facecapture technology - why? How much time and money is going to be wasted on a feature that barely anyone cares about?

>Do NOT bring up the escapist lawsuit where Chris was so needlessly triggered over a websites stupid article that would have been forgotten in a week that he spent backer money on a fruitless lawsuit

wait what's this

Don't question it!

whoa guys we can fly around space and land on barren planets. much cool so wow

it's hilarious that people on reddit still defend it and think it will actually release lol

>why?
To make money user, their core fanbase are a cult who buy anything with an RSI logo on it.

There was some article, perhaps involving Derek Smart, on the Escapist saying they'd fucked up bad with the money, etc

>All these years, the game still isn't even in beta
>Endless feature creep, promotional RSI branded webcams, even more ships for sale on the store
Really makes you think.

the onyl thing that worked was adding the facerig libs anybody can get on steam.
And that was only to seel fucking webcams that will be obsolete fossils by the time this game is released.

all it would take was for someone else to release a good spacegame and RSI would probably go bankrupt... but nobody has

Elite isn't that bad. It depends on what you really want from a space game. I find space trucking pretty relaxing. With VR, good set of headphones and a joystick you can really sink into things.

I don't think that'll ever happen with SC, I can't see it ever running smoothly online. They are trying to do things with the engine that it just can't handle.

is derek smart, dare I say it, our guy?

>all that money and no game will ever ome of it

tfw studios like platinum could have made 7 cuhrazee style quality games with that money and that piece of shit has squandered it all and has not a single game.

yea, Elite has probably skimmed off the space sandbox people

but, if you dropped something like Freesspace, or Independence War, or X-Wing, etc (basically story-driven missions) you'd grab a lot of people.

throw in some "drop-in" multiplayer, rather than "always online", so you can cover singleplayer and multiplayers

space-trucking is niche, so is planet-walking, as it just makes the whole thing unfocused

Star Citizen as promised is impossible with current technology. It's going to be at LEAST another five years before it's even remotely feasible.

proof that you can accomplish more with a lower budget and a competent team being paid a wage than you can by just throwing money at something

>implying they have a budget list
nigga they are just throwing money at shit and hoping it sticks

they are going to run out of money faster than you can say rap sheet

which parts are impossible?

>"B-b-but he did release something, so you can trust him"
>"Wh-what's a ponzi scheme?"

Everything boils down to your plan. You need to start with a good engine, and programmers. Everything else is built upon that. You use an engine not suitable for your project, you have poor plans, you end up with a poor project.

exactly

a tight, budgeted plan with competent people on board who stick to the budget is better than an vaguely specified project which tacks on more and more features because they have more money so why not, right?

they are just pissing it away. they should just sit down and say, "okay, we want this, this and this to be core features and let's build around that. anything else can be considered once we have the core worked out."

instead they are sitting down with a vague "idea guy" scenario and implementing more and more shit that the idea guy thinks they can afford

recipe for disaster

I want someone to make a Spongebob title card says "160 million dollars later.." then show a random clip of this endless abortion.

Star Citizen a promised will never happen because Chris is a moron. You know who you don't want as the lead of a project? A guy with ADHD whose vision is so hazy and incomprehensible it's almost like it doesn't exist and he's juts making up shit as he goes. (PS that's exactly what's happening). I love it, personally since this will make Tortanic look like a row boat tipping over in terms of disaster.

At this point even if they released it I don't feel like it would be a good game. Just imagine the fucking grind that will be needed to get one of the bigger ships.

>"look at this moon ITS BIGGER THAN SKYRIM"
>it's empty shit with terrible LOD and 1 base

I hope it'll get finished soon, so someone can make a homeworld mod.

they should have released the base game and planned for proper expansions like any other sane developer.

It's Daikatana round two. Get a guy who's a good director, but put him charge of a project. Directing a game, and managing the project are two separate skills. One is in-game story/levels/gameplay, and the other is scope, money, and boring office shit. If Chris had someone above him saying "no", and to trim ideas to reasonable levels, at least some parts of the game would be done by now.

Platinum games suck shit frankly. The satisfaction I get from shitposting about SC is better than any Platinum mash-and-QTE-fest.

The idea of sci-fi dogfights is dumb. Dogfighting ended after WWII. Modern jets fire missles at each other outside of visible range. Future starships are going to be even more like that.

I'll make it myself if I have to

Yes but CR decided that would be boring so he wants to do ww2 in space

I've seen that webm many times now but this is the first time I noticed the railgun punches a hole into the idris' bow doors

DO NOT SHOW THE LOADING SCREEN

I REPEAT

DO NOT. SHOW. THE LOADING SCREEN.

Why did he not want to show the loading screen? Didn't people see it anyways?

And all the aiming is manual too. It's something that bothers me in pretty much all sci-fi settings. Pretty much any machine would be perfect auto-targetting. I have no idea how to make gameplay out of that though.

>Platinum games

>CR decided that would be boring so he wants to do ww2 in space
>Gamescom demo
>weightless ships strafe above the surface of planets with 6DOF
???
He wouldn't want for cultists to realize it takes 5 minutes to load an empty planet with 2 ships.

Expanse does it well

Fucking This. That's what normal people would do in the first place.

I think the devs got overwhelmed with positive feedback and money that they thought they could do anything. That's fine, if they realized they couldn't do anything and limits should still be put in place.
Problem is people keep telling them they can do anything

backers voted overwhelming over 90% to expand the game.

huh its almost like the average consumer has shitty judgement and taste and shouldn't be in direct charge of these things. who would have guessed that real life requires compromise and structure to keep people from floating off into the abyss so that a project can actually get properly developed and formed efficiently.

>>Platinum games

...are moderately budgeted games that make profit.

Backers are fools with understanding of technology or limits. If you made a poll "would you like to make agame with 1 billion planets" they'd say yes.

do you want
>the game
or
>an even better game

they probably shouldn't've been given the choice. all they're going to respond to , is based on the idea that the dev knows what their limits are

>star citizen
>finished
good one user

>>Do not question why Chris picked a pretty but highly ineffective choice for the games engine

what's wrong with the engine? i thought Cryengine was a formidable engine

you JUST CANT make shit like this up.

Their is no engine that can make SC not even UE4 without modifying it heavily.

meh, as a backer I'm happy they aren't rushing it.

I've heard Sup Forums say it's not suited for a permanent world and online multiplayer. I'm not a techie guy so I don't know. I think right now SC supports some pathetic 8 or 12 players max, which is pathetic. You'd need 32 bare minimum.

They no longer use cryengine. Now they use Amazon Lumberyard.

You really think CIG even know how to add private servers to the game? i doubt it.

It doesn't look interesting at all. Gameplay seems to be:

>fuck around
>go to empty planet

or

>get a mission
>go to empty planet with one thing
>get thing
>go back to space station

>meh, as a backer I'm happy they aren't rushing it.

I'ms ure your grandkids will enjoy it.

Which really is the same

They can't support that any players do to the necode not finished so it's using a slightly modified cryengine netcode that's why the fps and player count is shit.

Lumeryard is a slightly modified cry engine with a heavy modification for amazon servers. CIG has modified Cry Engine to the point that over 55% of the engine code is new.

Lumberyard = Cryengine

The part they begin a dogfight on the planet.
The dullest thing I've ever seen in a modern game.
Remembering it was supposed to be the core part of this game.

All the gameplay looks boring.

By the time Scam Shitizen is released I'll just be able to visit another solar system IRL if I want to.

at this point you're already in for the ride forever or youre never getting into it

best thing about Turd Shittyzen is how it totally undermined trust in crowdfunding to the point of destruction.
kikestarter is dead as a platform. gaymers will not be stupid enough to back anything with similar promises of scale ever again, not in large enough numbers. thanks Dipshit Industries.

>people think this game will actually be released

And even if it ever does, it will be a shell of what was promised. Game is doomed.

You forgot the expresso machine

Star Citizen is the perfect example of a game without any focus and thereby completely failing to meet any expectations other than wasting everyone's money and time.

of course it wil be released. Projects of this scale take time. And a project this huge, will take a very long time. Have pateience.

>Have pateience

I don't care if it's released either way.

Just saying the game is fucked. No way it can live up to the expectations of fans and backers who have spent thousands of dollars on pixels.

>Star Citizen is the perfect example of a game without any focus and thereby completely failing to meet any expectations other than wasting everyone's money and time.

But crucially: is it better than nothing?

>But crucially: is it better than nothing?

No.

>will go back up once the game is released
I put more faith in peace in the middle east than SC ever releasing.

Don't forget the easy twitch integration tools!

Suing them over that sure seems like an effective way to prove the article's claims to be true.

I've never played FreeLancer or Freespace or whatever. How do they hold up? Do I need mods or open source versions?