ITT games that aged horribly

ITT games that aged horribly

You know it's true.

It was horrible at the time too.

>aged
>implying it was ever good to begin with

Indigo Prophecy was so cool at first.
I loved investigating that crime scene in the beginning and the comfy ass atmosphere of the diner. Everything after that was absolute shit imo though.

This, that game was so bad it was entertaining. Same with all of Cage's games, really.

Not really but the second half truly is horrible.

If anything Fahrenheit feels right at home today. Back in the day it was called a QTE non-game, but considering how "adventure games" turned out with Telltale taking charge it's just right for casuals today.

I remember enjoying it after it went full retard with the supernatural elements.

it's still a great and unique game, you guys are just alarmist attention seeking children

*enjoying it until
When the flying ninjas arrived it was too much for me.

Yep, yep, yep.

Started out cool, then turned shit gameplay-wise with the QTEs, and then went even shitter with its retardo plotline.

You didn't like having a DBZ fight with the internet while the day after tomorrow happened?

One of the best rpg of all time... we need a remake, but i don't trust in Piranha bytes anymore.

>while the day after tomorrow happened
That was so underplayed, though.

It's kinda sad that Gothic 3 turned out the way it did due to JoWood's interference. PB will also never again be at their height with Gothic 2 because a good deal of the original devs are gone. Some are even dead from what I remember.

I was so disguisted when I played it a few years back

that was the biggest wtf I've ever had in a video game, I think it blows Deadly Premonition out of the water

good, remakes are cancer

I tried playing this few months back and holy fuck it is ungodly garbage

I unironically liked that.

I tried to play Dark Cloud 2 because I had never played it (played the first one and loved it as my first PS2 game)
The combat in that game is so bad, it completely turned me off of the whole thing.

Dragon Age: Origins

Pretty much ever 3D PS1 game. Go replay some of them, you got to wonder how the fuck you grew up thinking that generation was great.

All the classic Alone in the Dark games have aged like the original bass player from the Smashing Pumpkins.

Just played Silent Hill for the first time and liked it quite a bit, to be honest.

you're fucking wrong, jump in to a shark tank

kek

Doesn't mean it hasn't aged like shit. Most PS1 games for example run at smaller resolutions than your average handheld does now.

The first ten minutes are very cool. I remember being awed that you can either leave all the evidence behind or try to clean it up, and it affects the investigation.

Then the fucking internet viruses come to life and attack you at the office and I laughed my ass off at how awful the game was.

your average handheld has shit meme games that were ported from ios.

I love the story and the characters and the overall atmosphere, but the combat moves at a snail's pace and doesn't hold up to modern JRPGs at all.

Is there a single SRPG that has aged poorly?

Don't fucking the fucking encounter rate. Not only is the combat at a snail's pace, the game throws battle after battle after battle at you.

Image P5, but each battle takes 15 times longer.

Video games don't age.

xD

>Doesn't mean it hasn't aged like shit.
I thought that's exactly what it meant. I mean, how can something that has aged like shit still be very enjoyable? What significance does aging like shit even have if it doesn't prevent a game from being enjoyable?

Personally, I think games like the aforementioned Alone in the Dark or the very first Ultima titles have legitimately aged like shit, because their archaic designs and/or interfaces overshadow their positive elements, elements which have since then been better executed by other games.

This is also why I wouldn't necessarily call something like Jagged Alliance 2 or Fallout outdated or badly aged, because those games still have certain enjoyable elements that are unsurpassed to this day.

David Cage is quite pathetic isn't he? He's so desperate to be taken seriously as some auteur, but every single "game" he writes is just shit. Like, complete shit. How does he keep getting work?

Swery 65, with a no budget, buggy Twin Peaks inspired game with terrible gameplay managd to make something that achieved cult status and is more memorable, well regarded and beloved than Cage's entire gaming legacy put together.

Install and tweak the DX11 mod and it looks gorgeous. I'm still upset they changed the PCs english voice actor from Gothic 1 though. He had much better delivery.

That's not an issue with aging badly - it's quite clearly bad for the time.
If it didn't follow every individual bit of damage done to each character separately, it would be fine. Basic, but fine.
It was a completely needless design choice

I'd consider the overwhelming majority of 80's CRPGs to have aged horribly.

It's true. Games don't magically get shittier overtime (excluding things like MMOs or competitive games with frequent patches). It's your personal standards that changed. Indigo Prophecy was always shit.

Oh don`t make me remember of gothic 3... the mayority of people, thinks that gothic 4 arcania was the ruin for gothic series, but it was the third game and the standalone expansion (one of the worst game i've ever played).

this board is full of americans
they will never admit that.

>aged
I'm convinced everyone who says this is underageb&. Old games that are shit were always shit, and old games that were good will always be good. "it aged poorly" basically means "has bad graphics" or "uses a control scheme I don't understand".

Are any of the Risen games worth looking at? Are any of them at least better than G3?

Indigo prophesy still has one of the strongest openings in all adventure games. The problem is it's story quickly goes to shit and and you learn your actions literally don't matter which squanders it

Good post.

It's a figure of speech that describes a change in general standards. "Aged well" means that something still manages to measure up to contemporary standards whereas "aged poorly" means that it fails to do so.

They're still good though. games can age, but a good game does not become bad over time, and a game aging doesn't mean it's bad.

Played it recently and am inclined to agree. Was amazing for its time, but by todays standards and norms its pretty average.

>I'm convinced everyone who says this is underageb&.
Similarly, I'm convinced that people who don't understand metaphoric language are somewhere on the spectrum.

I know full well what it's supposed to mean. The context that it's used in regularly on Sup Forums is incredibly stupid, that being a substitute for "I'm too stupid to play old games that don't baby me".

David cage can't write a story to save his life, the main villain keeps changing so much that it becomes a game about nothing. just an amalgamation of story cliches that Cage likes. IP could've been great if it just stuck to a single storyline about two sides of a murder mystery, but we had to have AI demons, giant bugs, Aztec oracles, DBZ fights and literal angels to convolute everything.

Except this isn't the way most of Sup Forums uses the term. They use it with a negative connotation like "aged like milk" and then back up their claim by accusing defenders of the game nostalgiababies. It's almost always used for shitposting or children who can't into a control scheme from 8 years ago.

Its dungeons were simpler than the previous Zelda games and the overworld was smaller and more simple. OoT was just the first 3D Zelda game so people freaked out over it due to it using pretty cutting edge tech for the time.

It is a good game for sure but it always was and always will be weaker than Link's Awakening and Link to the Past in most aspects.

It's always obvious someone is underage when they say something like "those controls are too archaic now, they were fine back then" when talking about Mega Man Legends or Resident Evil. For some reason they don't realize that old players just adjusted to and got used to how those games controlled when they came out instead of bitching about them and dropping them. Then again I've heard people bitch about DMC1 having bad controls because triangle was mapped to jump.

I think a large part of it is how so many games now a days control the same and use the same mechanics. Like every shooter on consoles will have ADS as L2 and fire as R2 now, and nothing dares controlling like Time Splitters 2 or anything slightly different.

all N64 games aged like milk

You probably jest, but this is true. After Fallout 4, the gunplay mechanics of FO3/NV are just too shitty to gloss over

F4 is a bit of a monkey's paw though. The gunplay is pretty good but the series turned into FPS first, RPG second, instead of the other way around.

This, unfortunately. It still has some of the greatest questlines (Dark Brotherhood especially, but this game was filled with them), immersive NPCs with AI that task them with 1 month schedules, and a god-tier soundtrack and comfiness level 9000.

But the gameplay is so shit. So fucking shit.

Hey Woolie.

>The gunplay is pretty good but the series turned into FPS first, RPG second, instead of the other way around.

That's true. For some people, that's enough. I love the exploration and roleplay opportunities in these games more than anything else, and a FPS with some RPG mechanics here and there is perfect for me. Slap on a survival mod like FROST, and you have a better STALKER

Lolis don't age OP.

SHE FILLS MY BED WITH GASOLINE

I fucking HATE this game.
It was my first introduction to QTEs and gameplay made for literal retards. Disgusting.

>disguisted
Disgust in disguise?

A lot of action oriented RPGs have gameplay that's pretty gimped. I remember trying to play Deus Ex like it was Half Life and I hated it. Went back to it a few months later and I really loved it. Still need to play System Shock 2 though, started that and hated it initially as well.

The games kind of prevent themselves as more action oriented then they seem, so trying to play them like their more action oriented counterparts results in people getting upset.

I wish I could be more like you in that regard, but when a game markets itself as "action oriented" I expect it to be somewhat capable at that. On the other hand, I can get past KOTOR's awful combat because I mainly play it for the lore, story, characters, and drama.

Bethesda games for me need a bit of both - since they aren't great in the aspects mentioned above, they need to be somewhat fun to play. That's why Fallout 4 is still fun and Skyrim is somewhat enjoyable, while Oblivion and FO3/NV are just beyond repair for me.

Odd, I liked NV and FO3 both a lot more than Skyrim.

Then again I much prefer RPGs to be turn based like Fallout 1 and 2 or real time with pause. That always feels better than gimped combat imo.