What are some games that would be better with less gameplay?

archive.is/3MDcb

Well, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/08/27/reader-discussion-what-game-would-be-better-with-less-interactivity.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/08/27/reader-discussion-what-game-would-be-better-with-less-interactivity.aspx

Since OP didnt include a link to the article.

Kill yourself ginormous fag

fuck you nigger

>Some of my favorite games of all times are incredibly rich in systems, interactions, and diverse options for seeing how a game plays out. Sometimes, though, I just want to sit back, relax, and enjoy a story.

So watch a film or TV show. Christ.

Final Fantasy VII remake

FYI: Less interactivity is not the same thing as less gameplay.

Thanks. I was gonna google that to make sure I give the article clicks, but you made the process much easier.

Fuck off, OP.

gone home and it's ilk would be better off as movies
though they would be shit movies and the only reason they're popular is stories like those they picture are underrepresented in videogames while being common as hell in movies

This kind of stuff triggers me to the point that I can't take it and just turn away because honestly these people and all followers need to die painful deaths.

Videogames aren't movies or art. Get the fuck outta here with that shit. Oh how I miss when games had gameplay that wasn't a QTE or one button to do a shit ton of things.

Is it time for me to find a new hobby and just leave gaming forever?

Hellblade combat is definitely repetitive and boring. There are some combat sequences that go on for FAR too long (especially when you're in Hel) . All the enemies are DMG sponges. When you actually get the Hellblade (that can supposedly kill gods), you don't even feel anymore powerful. The game just increases the health of the enemies.
The only interesting thing about the game are the Zeus trials. The rest of the game is just walking around in an empty world with voices that keep berating you. I get enough of that IRL.

The story is pretty boring. I don't get why people keep saying it's "deep." You're a girl that hears useless spirits and you're trying to rescue your bf's soul from hell. #DEEP

Its an overall bad game, and beating it felt like a chore. I don't get the hype.

is that a before and after of what a normal girl looks like before going to one of those libcuck colleges?

looks like ass.

Back to the high quality postville of 8ch Sup Forums for you.

Just go make a visual novel or a FMV game you dumb fucks.

It's the bitch lips, broader nose and especially the triggered stare that makes her look so ugly

literally just don't support sony and it's fine

Aren't those """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""games""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" like Her Story and Firewatch for just such a thing?

kek

Thanks for the bump.

he doesn't mean that from what it looks like the guy that made the article wanted no gameplay at all, I agree with you though FFVIIR should be turned based but that's due to square-enix's track record with action games that aren't kingdom hearts.

I HEAR VOICES IN MY HEAD

>the guy that made the article wanted no gameplay at all

Oh in that case fuck that guy. I feel bad that I gave that pos the benefit of the doubt.

Resident Evil 4 would be better without the excessive usage of QTE to make the cutscenes more interactive.

I believe games are art but videogame narratives tend to be incredibly derivative so removing interactivity would actually make it worse than just watching a film or reading a book. All the unique narratives in vidya tend to be unique as a result of gameplay mechanics that contribute heavily to the core narrative structure, like Majora's Mask's 3-day time limit, that couldnt be replicated in any other medium, Film has its interpretation of the basic theme through Groundhog Dog and Anime through Tatami Galaxy, but all of these have tremendously different narrative structures regardless of that. In the end, removing interactivity only harms videogames as an artistic medium, especially when no videogame has a story that hasnt been done better without interactivity.

Planescape Torment
remove the combat and some of the d&d garbage, turn it into the greatest graphic adventure of all time

I dislike a lot of modern video games because they just seem to be linear set pieces and take away player control. QTE are just the illusion of player control over cut-scenes. I hate all that shit.

I made sure to give it 4 clicks just in case you guys didn't xoxo

Please go then, no one will care and no one is trying to stop you

Or maybe someone wants to experience a story that is in a video game but they can't because the actual gameplay is shit. I'd love Night in the Woods, Planescape Torment or Grim Fandango in some other format

Asura's Wrath would unironically be better if it was just 100% an anime rather then just being sort of halfway between a game and an anime.

As is I already had some of the most fun in my life going through it, but all the actual gameplay parts of it are servicable at best

YouTube is always a click away.

We have an original take here guys

So I can watch someone play the awful game parts with commentary and facecam over them?

downvoted

Every Telltale "game" just outsource those fuckers to Hollywood and keep them as far away from video-games as possible.

I'm going to buy and enjoy The Wolf Among Us S2, how do you feel about that

And people wonder why this board and vidya as a whole is turning to shit while nobody does anything to stop it

Gave it an extra few clicks

>WAAAAAA PEEPO AREN MAKIN VIDEES HOW I LIKEM THAT MEANS THEY BAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDD

Can you come up with a reasonable response to that doesnt involve spamming caps lock and doesnt infantalize the poster?

He just made 2 bullshit claims that he didn't back up, was that meant to be some epic takedown or something?

How did this thread to such a shit fest this quick?

Why did normies get so involved in video games?

>Two bullshit claims
What?

The problem with a reasonably sound argument is twofolded:
1. Bad games are not up to standard. Hellblade might actually be better as a good animated action series, because their interactivity is minimal and lacking at best
2. Nobody wants to deal with strong and well thought out arguments.

So well done, dry in hell, or some shit

1. There's no reason why game narratives need interactivity to be good. Not everything has to be a showcase of what the medium is capable of
2.There definitely have been game narratives that were worsened by interactivity

Deadly Premonition for sure, those actions sections are really hampering my enjoyment. People also say that often about Dark Corners of the Earth and Soma.

its called a film

>game stories that would've worked better as a film/book
Nothing wrong with this

"No commentary" videos exist, and there are also "long plays" which typically have no commentary.

Or you can just play a game on easy so you can just rush through the gameplay and get to the story parts.

Or just fucking kill yourself because normal difficulties aren't even that hard anyway; all these games "journalists" need to seriously get fucking good at any game. Maybe if they weren't so busy sniffing their own farts all day long they would have the ounce of human conditioning it takes to play games on normal and do well.

Video games are great now. Made sure to give it a click under a proxy.

>Was hoping for cool nordic mythology game
>Get boring walking simulator

Why are you even angry, I never said I was stuck on a video game and why do you care so much if someone is

>not all games need gameplay!
>in fact, gameplay only makes some games worse!

Why are you here?

Wow you completely missed the point didnt you

>>not all games need gameplay!
Not what I wrote

>>in fact, gameplay only makes some games worse!
That's true, have you never played a game with an interesting story and bad gameplay?

1) Videogame narratives don't need interactivity if they are exceptionally phenominal, but even the greatest of the medium still doesn't compare to a plethora of literature, music, and film. Interactivity is the videogame equivalent of prose, and while it's not necessary to have good prose to write a god-tier narrative, it greatly adds to a experience of reading a novel over any other medium. Just as you say with videogames, sometimes a unique type of prose makes a novel a worse experience.
2) Yes, but as of the state of videogames since their birth, every videogame with removed interactivity will either produce a product inferior to film/lit equivalents or remove the core narrative structure that holds the story together, depending on if the game focuses on ludonarrative or not.

>Bioshock Infinite
>needing less gameplay

It needed much, much more interactivity in the gameplay and the fucking story. The world was a pretty, but dead husk and the gameplay was as dumb as you can possibly make it without turning it into Cookie Clicker.

Any with QTEs.
REMOVE QTES

I wasn't mad necessarily at you (and I'm not the original guy you were talking to anyway), just "you" in general, at the population.

Games journalists (and other more casual gamers/reddit) need to just stop playing games. They aren't good at them, they do not care about them, all they want is to ruin it for everyone else. They want to turn it into something it isn't. All they want is for the game to play it themselves while they do nothing but bitch on twitter about some problem du jour that has no meaning on anyones life at all.

>except cool melee game with SWORDS, RUNES, SPEARS
>get shitty walking simulator with barely serviceable combat

TellTale games, since their only interactivity currently is watching the game play itself, then less interaction would mean you wouldn't even have to suffer through it.

A MOVIE, WHICH IS ALREADY A FUCKING MEDIUM
why is this industry so fucking obsessed with making games NOT games

""cinematic games"" are for people who dont like video games and just want to watch movies, but also want to be able to talk about games like they are actual fans of the medium.

if you are honestly saying that video games should be less interactive for the sake of watching/hearing the story, you are missing the entire point of *PLAYING* VIDEOGAMES. go watch a movie or read a fucking book, dont ask for developers to cater to your shitty whims.

>That's true, have you never played a game with an interesting story and bad gameplay?

No.

Because they want the kind of humans who binge watch Netflix every single day playing their games because they're the whales.

Gameplay fags get dozens or even hundreds of hours of fun out of a single game they bought on sale. That's not very profitable!

Because he's an autistic Sup Forums contrarian

>What are some games that would be better with less gameplay?
Games like this

no there is not, thats why some games get movie adaptations. but we dont get handed controllers in movie theaters and asked to decide what the actors say next, so why the fuck should we be removing GAMEPLAY from VIDEO*GAMES* to cater to people who dont want to play things?

this conversation is like the dark souls of interactive media discussions

>Interactivity is the videogame equivalent of prose
Why? If we kept the story and gameplay parts separate, and used cutscenes to tell the story, couldn't we in theory have a game story as good as any film? I agree that it can add to the narrative but I don't think it's as essential as prose in literature, since in games interactivity and narrative can be separated

If you want less gameplay watch a fucking movie, easy as that.

>suriel
wait, the guy who's mainly the fighting game reviewer posted an article about barely any gameplay?

You're talking shit
You think people only played games like until dawn and walking dead so they can pretend they like games?
And why should all games be the same?
The medium is flexible it's not up to you to dictate what gets produced and consumed by the public

You just sound really angry that people have different opinions on video games than yours

Unironically? The Telltale episodic "games". I use quotation marks because they barely qualify as video games and they would be better if they stopped pretending to be them by dropping the shitty QTE parts and click to shoot at enemy sections. I think Walking Dead is decent and quite liked Wolf Among Us.

Or maybe.....other people.....have different tastes........wow............

>games with less gameplay require less effort to make and give less replayability to the player so if they want to experience something similar they'll have to get the next 'game' in the series instead of playing the current one more

Y'know, I never really thought about it like that, but it actually makes sense. Seeing how low quality game series like the TellTale games just keep pumping out installments and have a loyal fanbase of people who swear by them. They must be making profit hand over fist.

hi neogaf

"Hey babe, wanna watch a movie?"

"No thanks honey, let's just watch a video game instead. You know, for the story."

^Literally no sane person ever.

>>>in fact, gameplay only makes some games worse!
>That's true,
If what you're trying to remove is gameplay, your media wasn't really supposed to be a game.

Either that or you're just saying that the gameplay was not so good, this just means that they should improve this aspect, not remove it.

I think the reason journos are always pushing for games to be " more than games" is because it would make their job easier and they beat the game faster/get the reviews out faster and move on to the next game.
and also an easier game is better the older you get for these guys

Jesus fucking Christ sweet Lord Almighty dear Mary Joseph what the fuck...

/smug@u/ breh

In some cases it would be impossible to prove the gameplay because there is no style of gameplay that wouldn't clash with the narrative

>your media wasn't really supposed to be a game.
That's what I'm saying

until dawn is a lot closer to a CYA book than a video game, same thing with walking dead. you can bet your ass a lot of people who played Walking Dead did so because they liked the show.

like i said, these games are aimed at people who would rather see a story unfold with minimal effort on their part than actively play through a 20-40 hour game that requires some semblance of skill, even if the game has a much better story. Until dawn was a horrible C-Movie tier waste of time and hard drive space; almost nothing you do in the walking dead has any bearing on the final outcome. you could watch playthroughs of it on youtube and nothing would be lost - very little "fun" comes from actually "playing" these games.

games dont need to all be the same, but we dont need to have games dumbed down to QTE's and selecting what characters say to cater to people who dont actually want to play games. there are already enough tell tale games to go around.

>would rather see a story unfold with minimal effort on their part than actively play through a 20-40 hour game that requires some semblance of skill
Is this supposed to be bad

What game has too much Interactivity? Is such thing even possible?

>video games dont need to be "games" to count as videogames: the thread

i personally hate how i had to drive cars and shoot people in San Andreas. I just wanted to see the cutscenes with Samuel L. Jackson as a crooked police officer

leave this board and don't come back.

>a few genocides later you play a rythm game
>And get shot down by a fighter yet
>THE END

Pathologic.

>Is this supposed to be bad

Have you ever watched TV? If you have then fuck off and don't come back pleddit

you know what
fuck it
add a separate mode that only plays the cutscenes one after the other
they want games to be movies? go for it
just don't complain to us when you miss all the flavor text or things stop making sense without the gameplay to connect the cutscenes together

i just want to press a button and something awesome to happen

Sup Forums, go home and never come back. Please.

>video games should be like television!
It's you who needs to leave.

It's literally Dante's Inferno turned into a genderswapped norse-themed walking simulator.

Nice strawman!