Has there been another TRPG as good as this cult gem...

Has there been another TRPG as good as this cult gem? I don't think any Tactics Ogre or Fire Emblem had such an impact on me as FFTactics.

I secretly just want Sup Forums to recommend me games like this

Other urls found in this thread:

vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

tactics advance faggot

A2 if you want ez pez mode.

Yes, both Advanced games unless you're a bleb

Strategy/Tactics RPGs are games where it takes a very long time to go through simple motions. Single engagements for instance take several times as long to complete as single engagements in other types of games.
If you're super into FFT, but didn't appreciate the other games than you mentioned, then odds are that you're giving FFT a pass when it comes to tedious parts but won't let that fly in any new game you play.
But that exists in literally the entire genre, so you won't like anything.

A2 is too easy if you have a small party. The game is designed with the assumption that players will use a dozen party members or more.

Joan of Arc on the psp

You'll like it

I'd go with A2 just because the law system is less intrusive. Taking Ezel into every fight in FFTA was ass, especially since you have to go out of your way to not have him trivialize every fight he's in.

or just don't break the fucking law

>b-b-but "no fighting"
Just travel somewhere else and travel back to change the laws you fucking scrub.

PS1 Tactics Ogre game
N64 Tactics Ogre game (known as Ogre Battle there I think)
GBA Tactics Ogre game
GBA FF Tactics game
NDS FF Tactics game
PSP Tactics Ogre game
Jeanne D'Arc on PSP

>mfw people suggesting anyone play the advance games

what the fuck

Outside of LUCT & FFT i haven't had a single srpg be worth a shit to me. Not a single FE, Disgaea, Banner Saga, FFTA 1 & 2, Wild Arms XF, Jeanne D'Arc, Wakfu, Stella Glow, Stella Deus - not a single fucking one of them was even moderately entertaining.

I'd say I'm a matsuno fanboy, but i'm not a big fan of FFXII either.

Oh, I forgot that I did like Front MIssion 3 & 4

Playing around a shit mechanic doesn't make that mechanic not shit.

I never said it wasn't shit. But it's easily fixed shit. People complain about it so much and it isn't even that restrictive.

You only have to really worry about shit like "No fighting" or "No Techniques".

Yeah I honestly didn't want to shit on the niggas that are recommending me vidya but fuck, Tactics Advance are such a travesty to the name of the series I don't know how anyone liked the first one enough to warrant a sequel.

I'm gonna try LUCT, it seems.

I personally liked Vandal Hearts more than FFT. It's a more linear campaign, but I like the characters, scenarios, and how much of a badass you are if you unlock everything. Ignore the followup games tho.

Shining Force, Langrisser, and Advance Wars also good SRPG series for 2D style. Dragon Force series on Saturn is a bit different, but might also interest you. I also want to recommend Vanguard Bandits for another PS1 game, but I honestly haven't played through it all the way.

It's funny that people mention FE so much these days, because that franchise was practically nonexistent in the west until Marth and Roy showed up in Smash Bros.

Fire Emblem is the only trpg series i've played
Would it be worth me getting any FF trpgs at this point, and if so which?

Vandal Hearts 1&2 were both really good
Vanguard Bandits is god tier if you like giant robots and choose-your-own-adventure

FFT and TO are pure shit. They're not even really tactics games. They're just grid RPGs where your stats determine if you win or not.

Play Fire Emblem or Langrisser. Better yet, play a real tactics game like Advance Wars or Gadget Trial.

Brigandine is kinda like it.

Also, does anyone feels that game was rushed after Elmdor?

>They're just grid RPGs where your stats determine if you win or not
Get good you grinding shitter

Dont play FF Tactics Advance. Its a disgrace to this game.

There's lot of TRPG out there, but if you're planning to find a game that are on par with this, you're gonna be pretty much dissapointed. FE and Tactic Ogre are the closesf you can get.

This game has no equals. I'm sorry

Beat the game at level 1, casual.

Wild Arms XF
Ragnarok Tactics
Stella Deus
Jeanne d'Arc
Saiyuki Journey West
Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness
Tears to Tiara II

tactics, obviously, then Vandal Hearts, a truly underrated classic.

jeanne d'arc is too ridiculously easy

Vandal Hearts is great but god the graphics are terrible. The 2nd one looks nice but is less engaging, the concurrent combat thing is cool though

>You only have to really worry about shit like "No fighting" or "No Techniques".
And no items and no elements and no color magic and no healing and no targeting areas and no skills and no status ailments and prohibitions against certain weapons and the dmg2 laws. Then you fuck up and break a law and one of your characters catches a permanent downgrade.

Has it ever occurred to you that people complain about that system so often because it was *THE* major flaw with the game? It's not like it's a revelation that you can play around it, that's what EVERYONE did to beat the game.

SMT Devil Survivor.

>no items
git gud
>no elements
git gud
>no color magic
git gud
>no healing
pfttttt hahahahaha
>no target area
git gud

How shit were you at the game that these decided whether or not you won a battle?

I think you need to stick to playing minecraft and lego games. They seem more your speed kiddo.

Easier than you think it is.

>these decided whether or not you won a battle
Nice strawman my dude.

I think I'll just stick to the better FFT games.

>Doesn't like no tech law
>Doesn't like no skill law
>Doesn't have a problem with no color magic law

Stop lying. To do it, you have to cheese lucre and the unit hiring system. Additionally, you have to level up units and discard them to unlock the abilities necessary to even attempt this. tl;dr you have to fucking grind your face off when doing the level 1 challenge. The game is built around grinding because it's just an RPG with a grid. Not a true tactics game.

Not that guy, but the original FFT was grindy, I had to grind to defeat Gafgarion on Gorgorland, Wiegraf and Balk (2nd round)

that's why people call it a tactics RPG not a "true tactics game" whatever that means

Because they were other alternatives to color magic for ranged magic damage.

Name another alternative for melee physical damage besides using a sword/bow.

>but the original FFT was grindy
Yeah, exactly.

A true tactics game doesn't involve level progression like an RPG. A game like FFT is not very different from your standard turn-based RPG. The only difference is that there's a grid.

My nigga if you had to grind on FFT then you're the problem, the game's not astronomically difficult if you know how to build a party and after you get Cid the game's trivialized. The unofficial patch makes the game a real grind fest though.

>A true tactics game doesn't involve level progression like an RPG.
Said like a true fucking idiot. If it involves tactics in any significant way, it's still a tactics game, retardson

>after you get Cid the game's trivialized
No amount of Thunder Cock Cid will ever make not mad at the Riovanes bullshit, at least you could choke Elmdor and his bitches with him.

I want to fucking tear Wiegraf for his fuckery.

that grid makes a hell of a lot of difference in how combat plays out vs. a traditional turn based RPG. movement and positioning becomes a thing which is almost never implemented otherwise. spell and attack targeting becomes much more interesting and varied. if you think that they aren't very different i can only assume you've never played a traditional RPG before and have only read about them.

>Name another alternative for melee physical damage besides using a sword/bow.
Spear/gun.

>A true tactics game doesn't involve level progression like an RPG.
Retard detected.

Those were considered skills/tech too you dipshit.

A plain attack with either of those weapons is not skill or tech. Skill and tech laws do not affect regular attacks.

Shut up faggot.

>If it involves tactics in any significant way
Oh so fighting games are tactics games now. Woooow. I guess Overwatch is tactics, too.

>that grid makes a hell of a lot of difference in how combat plays out vs. a traditional turn based RPG
So Legend of Heroes is a tactics game now?
>if you think that they aren't very different i can only assume you've never played a traditional RPG before and have only read about them
Bitch, I've been playing RPGs since the 80s. The movement isn't even important in FFT because it's so terribly designed.

Retard detected.

So, Wiegraf, Vormav and Elmdor were at Riovanes, why didn't they gang on Ramza? Why Elmdor waited for me to kill Wiegraf to pop up? I can at least accept Vormav because he found the Angel's host.

>"No fighting"
Holy shit how can someone be this retarded? Did you even play the game or are you just here talking out your ass?

Let us cling together is objectively better than fft. Fite me anons

Id rather fuck you

>Oh so fighting games are tactics games now. Woooow. I guess Overwatch is tactics, too.
Not surprised your retarded face confused "tactics game" with "game with tactical elements"
Also, arguing like a fucking weasel only makes you look even more stupid. End of discussion.

>"No fighting"
What about it? Nowhere was that presented as a condition for anything, nobody's mentioned it except for that guy earlier who was defending the law system but still named that particular law as nonsense.

Earlier you could've said:
>Name another alternative for melee physical damage besides using a sword/bow when under the "no fight" law
but you didn't, and then you said that the weapons I mentioned fell under tech/skills which they don't.

>Types all this shit that just says "YES, I AM A RETARD"
hahahahaha

80's gamer BTFO

FFTA's laws weren't shit because they were hard to play around, they were shit because they were poorly implemented.
>illegal actions change every day making them difficult to keep track of
>lets players make illegal moves with no warning despite it rarely being necessary to knowingly make illegal moves
>about to launch attack
>wait was black magic illegal today?
>have to back through like 13 different menus that need to slowly slide onto and off of the screen to get to the one menu that tells you no it wasn't
They were basically implemented like a trap that the game was constantly trying to get the player to walk into, and in the end all the system added to the game was annoyance.

fuck out of here

FFT is trash like most weebshit """Strategy""" """"""RPGs"""""". Any game that allows the player to grind indefinitely without consequences (i.e. grinding should at the very least bear some sort of risk like it's done in games with forced ironman) is a game where any challenge can be overcome via simple grind. Disgaea, FFT, TO, some of the new Fire Emblems... all putrid fucking dogshit. Some of the older FEs are decent, though probably the only weebshit SRPGs that are playable by actual connoisseurs of the genre.

If you want to play actually good SRPGs, OP, always look to the West, because Western SRPGs tend to have limited grinding opportunities or at the very least ironman game modes, so that grinding becomes a risk. If you're not familiar with Western SRPGs or RPGs with a heavy focus on turn based tactical combat, start by playing Jagged Alliance 2, Original X-COM and X-COM 2 then Temple of Elemental Evil with the Circle of Eight modpack (but don't alter the level cap), then proceed to to stuff on picrelated in whatever order you wish, since most of these games are good, but keep in mind that there are some truly hardcore games on the list like Mordheim and, to a lesser extent, Battle Brothers that can be played ONLY in ironman mode and do not allow any sort of savescumming at all.

>the most popular SRPG is trash
Games go beyond mundane gameplay user.

watch out everyone

we've a hardcore gamer here

The advance games are better than tactics for anyone who isn't an srpg baby.

>the most popular SRPG is trash
That's not X-COM, you shit-eating weebcuck. On a relative scale, nobody gives a fuck about weebshit SRPGs at all. Reminder that nuCOM sold more copies that the entire Disgaea franchise combined or the FFT franchise combined (PSX release+PSP re-release+advance titles) and shits on any and all weebshit you can think of.

>this cult gem

I know you're trolling, but I'm still mad.

Jagged Alliance 2 is basically the first and last TRPG. Tactics is for children and other invalids.

FFT has sold more than the entire X-COM series combined though I don't know why you're lying.

>FFT has sold more than the entire X-COM series combined
LMAO, nuCOM alone sold 4 million.

Draw your sword, motherfucker.

>Fight: Penalty for a successful hit with a standard attack.
>Skills: Penalty for using skills. (Example: Ninja and Alchemy Skill)
>Techniques: Penalty for using techniques. (Example: Monk and Fighter Tech)
Skill and tech laws have nothing to do with the weapons you use. Allow me to express my complete lack of surprise that a git gud memester doesn't know what he's talking about.

FFT doesn't involve tactics in any form.

>only idea of an insult is calling everything he doesn't like "weebcuck shit"
Opinion discarded.

...And? FFT sold way over 10 million.

>FFT is just a JRPG on a grid

This isn't wrong.

>FFT sold way over 10 million
>As of August, 2011, the game had sold over 2.4 million copies worldwide.[88]
So all other FFT titles sold 8 more million copies?

This doesn't include the remake or its ports retard.

Der Langrisser is the shit and sadly usually overlooked.

I'm the weirdo who liked Vandal Hearts 2 even more. It gets and unjustified bad reputation from what people who just can't stand a different system.

Here's a better breakdown:

>Final Fantasy Tactics - 2.9213 million
>PS: 2.4 million[78]
>PSP: 421,284[79]
>Android: 100,000

>Final Fantasy Tactics Advance GBA - 1.450131 million
>NA/EU: 1 million[85][86]
>JP: 450,131[87]

>Final Fantasy Tactics A2 DS - 0.67 million
>JP: 310,000
>NA: 240,000
>EU: 120,000[92]

vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy

Again, stop pulling shit out of your putrid ass-mouth, weebcuck. Nobody plays or wants your weebshit, compared to superior Western titles and franchises. Again, a SINGLE Western game has outsold one of the most "iconic" weebshit franchises. The only place trash FFT is actually popular is inside your head.

pssss, user SRW have cool mechsand hot chicks,
come with us

>still not digital numbers were the game sold more than it did physical
What did he mean by this.

>putrid ass mouth

damn just came into this thread to post that I can hear your voice trembling from here lmao

How about you prove any of the shit you're spouting, cretin? Every single estimation of sales shows it sold like hot garbage, compared to actually popular games.

But Fire Emblem does? You must be retarded.

>get btfo
>b-b-b-but fire emblem
What?

How about you stop acting like you're incredibly mad lmao. Apologize like a grown up and I'll treat you like one.

The Growlanser games are very good and have similar themes to FFT however they might be too "anime" for some people

Here's a statement from square-enix themselves, their word is worth more than any delusions you have:
>FINAL FANTASY TACTICS was first released in Japan for the PlayStation® system in 1997 and sold over 2.4 million copies worldwide.
>LOS ANGELES (August 4, 2011)
So, unless you can prove that FFT advance and A2 sold 8 more million copies, it is safe to conclude that you're a lying sack of shit, which is not surprising for a weebcuck.

Read the reply chain, retard.

SRW is bottom of the barrel garbage.

Nah, I'd rather shit down your throat for being a lying piece of shit.

>not including the remake and its ports
Stay mad, freak.

(you)

Here we can observe a brainlet's natural response to threats: when confronted with something it disagrees with, it immediately devolves into autistic screeching.

Shh, I know you're sad your weeb trash is wanted or played by nobody, but you're only digging your own grave deeper by denying official SE statements. Keep doing so, though, it shows just what kind of scum weebcucks are to anyone reading the thread.

What else could you expect from FFTards? Literally babby's first "tactics" RPG.

this

>Super Robot Wars
>Final Fantasy Tactics

>Shining Force
You're a good user

>he's actually this ignorant
wew lad

>cult gem

What are you smoking? It's pretty much the best known and most popular TRPG of all time?