Is this game an unabashed masterpiece or are there glaring flaws?

Is this game an unabashed masterpiece or are there glaring flaws?

Bed of Chaos is its biggest flaw.

no,the biggest flaw is the sequel

>Is this game an unabashed masterpiece
It could have been if it was finished

yes, the entire second half

Massive glaring flaws.

Dark souls is the most charming of the dark souls games though 3 is technically the best made.

Both DeS and BB are better than the entirety of the dark souls series as far as product quality is concerned ( though DeS is quite dated in a lot of ways which can be detracting)

Dark souls gets a free pass as "best in the series" despite its glaring flaws largely due to

1. It was many players first game due to being the first multiplat in the series

2. It was the first to use an open world design, which was a popular design style in the early-mid 2000's

World interconnectivity is the only thing it has going for it but it ditches it once you ring the second bell

>game is only good because nostalgia
stop being a faggot

Dark Souls 2 gets better the more you put into your adaptability.

git fucking gud

This. The second half is shit.

It took me so long to figure this out. My first playthrough was infuriatingly shit until about half way when someone mentioned it to me. I stuck like 10 points into ADP and suddenly the graphics weren't shit and the level design started getting a lot better. 5 more points and out of nowhere there was this whole new section linking up Earthen Peak and Iron Keep in a way that actually made sense.

At 99 adaptability it actually becomes Bloodborne.

>not rolling
casul spotted

I liked this and its sequel, will I like Demon's Souls?

Both

Post Anor Londo kind of sucks.

>the four hard dungeons suck

git gud

Every souls game has glaring flaws. You just have to play them long enough. It's totally up to preference whether you push through them or not though.

I think you are on to something.
I appreciate the opportunity to do some sequence breaking, but at the end of the day I want to play the other games more. Builds are incredibly unbalanced in das. The bosses were really neat and held my attention for a long time, I still think they are better than two's, but they aren't really good. I really don't think we needed to kill fatass three times for an example. The world is gorgeous and connects with itself in interesting ways, but it is tiny. Covenants are a slog to rank up with. The grimdark style is overused everywhere. I am going to try scholar and see if I can enjoy it, but I think it is fair to say that three is at least a better made game

Best part is how the left archer can shoot you through the wall while you're on the walkway to the small tower since it doesn't have any collision detection.

Lost Izalith, Crystal Cave and Demon Ruins are the worst areas from the entire series, why the actual fuck would you defend any one of those with 'git gud'?

>>the four unfinished/semi-finished dungeons suck
ftfy

Crystal cave is easily the best area of the game. Can't just sprint through it like a retard like you do the rest of the game.

>wahhhhhh they're hard dungeons so I need to insult their design and integrity.
git gud

>ds1: kill four lords and then the king
>ds2: kill reincarnations of four lords and then the queen
>ds3: kill four lords and then the reincarnation of the king

Anyone defending Lost Izalith is a false flagging shitposter that can be ignored.

Even the most stalwart of Soulsfans despise those two areas and believe they're undefendable since the devs themselves have admitted they were unfinished.

except that you can,literally 2 invisible straight bridges,if you focus on the other end silhouette you will easily memorise their locations and allways sprint in everytime

exactly. You have to stop for 5 seconds and notice the invisible platform, then sprint across it like a retard and immediately reach the boss. Really activates my almonds.

It would be amazing if from remastered the game and actually finishes those areas.

Can't marry best girl.

this part is so fucking dumb

You are a fucking retard if you genuinely think those levels are worse than shit like the frigid outskirts and other shitty areas from DaS 2 DLC.

why there are iframes in this game? seriously why roll make you invincible,what the fuck,roll should be fast escape,not "sustain all damage"

Run to the pillar, go right, time 3 rolls, kick the archer in the balls, open the door, get on the floor, everybody walks the dinosaur, then talk to Solaire. Wow, so hard.
I bet you think the Shrine of Amana is a bad level too.

to make the shockwaves less noticable
didn't really work too well desu

Rolling means avoiding damage but of course they can't make an animation for every single way your character could dodge an attack so instead they give you only 1 animation and i-frames. Many action games do it.

>Shrine of Amana

>homing magic spammers
>insta-kill deep water
>spoopy jumpers hiding in the water
>a crappy toad boss playing peek-a-boo

it's only plus is that it looks cool

bruh the second half of Bloodborne is no better, it becomes pretty much a level -> loading screen -> level progression with shit bosses, and mostly shit areas.

Byrgenwerth (trash) -> Rom (trash) -> loading screen -> Yahrghul (trash) -> One Reborn (trash) -> loading screen -> College Building (trash) -> loading screen -> Nightmare of Mensis (god-tier) -> Micolash (trash) ->Mergo's Nurse (mediocre considering she's penultimate boss) -> loading screen -> Hunter's Dream

compared to this shit the only areas in DkS1's second half are Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith along with their bosses, the Catacombs and Tomb of the Giants as well as New Londo Ruins are god-tier, Duke's Archives and Crystal Cave are mediocre. the only reason people keep parroting this meme is because the first half of the game alone legit shits on the other games in their entirety, so the standard was set super high.

yes both are shit thank you

To be fair though it comes right after Duke's. Do you really want to go through two full levels for one boss? Yeah Crystal Cave doesn't really stand on it's own as a level, but I rank it pretty high for aesthetic and atmosphere.

>all the bad dark souls players are ESL
Figures.

Just roll bro, or parry the attacks with a shield if you hate adaptability. On that note shields that can parry magic are a cool concept.
You died if you fell into a pit in DaS too.
They literally have glowing bugs that show you where they are, unless the singing stops, then you are in trouble.
Fuck the frog, looks cool but anything with grab attacks can go fuck itself.

>thinking temporary invincibility is a dumb mechanic means you're bad

>people actually had trouble with bed of chaos

>two days ago
>beat gwyn
>link the fire
>my gpu fries itself instantly
I don't know but it's pretty realistic, gotta give them that

>first playtrough
>decide to play as mage by chance
>get 1 hit by boc even when blocking with heaviest armor at full health and stamina
>no roll skill cuz never needed
>bonfire miles away
it was frustrating

You didn't find the secret bonfire near the dragon butts?

you can at least post her next time

How about both?

eventually i did, was trying to hit all walls when tired of dying, trying to find some hidden item or whatever,i was getting paranoid by that point

I appreciated your post, user

Admit it, you teared up.

Use a shield, retard, I just beat it at SL1

I still can't tell if people use Quelaan as her name because I coined it or it's the most obvious continuation of Quelaag and Quelana and everyone else came up with it too

waaaah I killed some fag dog that attacked me

So the only DS game I've played so far is the second one (Scholar of the First Sin) and I absolutely love it. It's one of the best games I ever played for sure and I don't get the hate it gets from people.

Is it because 1 and 3 are even better?

He was just protecting his owner's grave.

yeah, the entire later half of the game after anor londo.

Played this dozens of times and never knew it can fall over like that.

I think they should've made it trigger at a higher health threshold because it's a nice detail and really subverts your expectations since bosses usually go into some sort of super second phase but Sif just limps around.

undead burg is without a doubt the best thing miyazaki ever designed

>Not Painted World

Ornstein's spear goes through walls.

It doesnt go through the wall. It bends around it because tracking. Annoying at times, and seems somewhat unpredictable if it will do it or not.

My old gpu died when I made the magical transition from Earthen Peak to Iron Keep.

Happy to kill doggo everytime.

Learn to put the shield down and roll.

>i skipped painted world because I only ever cleared out that area when I was progressing to O&S and never wanted to go back

how much time passed between the games in universe anyway? has it been hundreds or thousands of years between the chosen undead's pilgrimage and the ashen one's hitman task?

>pre-Anor Londo Dark Souls is perfect in every concievable way

I hate this meme. Depths and Sen's Fortress are shit. I actually liked Duke's Archives better than both.

i really think darkroot garden and basin take the cake. really feels like you're treading a magical forest that doesn't want you there.

the flaws are what makes this game """"""good"""""

just because you memorized every bullshit encounter after dying 100 times to it doesnt mean you're good

especially if you use a shield

It has huge flaws, past O&S it becomes a mess, TotG, LI, TDI and NLR are all horrible areas

Painted World takes the same concept of Undead Burg where it's built around a single bonfire but adds a lot more verticality to the level and the way each area loops back on itself is just amazing.

Unironically the best 3D level design I've ever seen, but Undead Burg isn't far off. Really makes me wonder what the hell happened in DaS III since there isn't a single thing that comes close to either one.

>Not Lothric's Castle
>Not Archdragon Peak
>Not Undead Settlement
remove yourselves from existence

You have shit taste

the only boss with a second phase in the game was super ornstein/smough wasn't it?

>using a shield means you're bad
meanwhile rolling literally makes you invincible

Shitting on DS3 aside, I kind of liked their Cathedral of Deep level design.

>Dark Souls 3 level design
>Good

You can defend an entire area of nothing but awful rat enemies with boring aesthetics and a mindless damage sponge for a boss

I liked Lost Izalith and Bed of Chaos was fun.

Depths is an optional area, nothing post Anor Londo is optional.

Of course there are flaws. There are huge flaws, but it's still a masterpiece.

>and Sen's Fortress are shit
Only that one specific section where you have to walk the plank with a lizard wizard behind you, one you can't at all attack or disarm before you're already on the plank

Other than that, I had a blast in Sen's fortress.

In my mind, the area was designed to make you belive that you've hit rock bottom; fucking opressive darkness, rats, the bigass boss (biggest by far at this time in the game), claustrophobic corridors and enemies that can instakill you with curses. It fucking sucks .Then you get to Blighttown

>dark souls 2 looks like it was made in mspaint
>dark souls 3 literally only has 1 color

this sucks

DS3's texture work was so beautiful and cohesive that I'll allow it

I think Depths is fine, albeit a sewer level is a kind of lame theme, but Sen's Fortress type of trap house feels really out of place t b h.

That has nothing to do with my opinion that Duke's was better.

The dukes archives is ok

They're all Bloodborne's textures

But it doesn't make sense to complain about Depths when it's optional, you go there on your volition. Also the worst part about the Depths is getting cursed by the Basilisks and having to go back to the Parish.

I wasn't complaining. I was defending why I thought Depths wasn't that good, and because you acted like I was retarded for saying Duke's was better

I've no PS4 so I'll again allow it

2 has it's good points but 3 is no fun to me and 1 is one of only 6 games I've got 100% in it's really good

Manus, Gargoyles, Moonlight Butterfly, and Sif all have some form of a "second phase".
I guess Bed of Chaos does as well.

>you acted like I was retarded for saying Duke's was better
That wasn't me, Archives is the only redeemable apart about post Anor Londo.

Sif drops humanity when you kill him. That means he's killed a human before, therefore he deserved to die.

>Moonlight Butterfly
Worst DaS boss?

At lest a thousand in between 1 and 2 and I few thousand between 2 and 3