What is the best Tales of game and why?

what is the best Tales of game and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FYl2nMNcKe0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I just started hearts R today and it's got that old anime vibe I love.
I haven't played that many tales games but I think Asbel is the best character, he had a hard life.

Berseria.

/thread

Berseria. Tales before it was shit.

Abyss, symphonia

Destiny Remake and Vesperia.

Tales of Phantasia on PS1 is great. I loved all the characters and was sad to see them go.

Does anyone know if Narikiri Dungeon has a full translation? The only one I found had the intro translated, but none of the dialog.

Depends on what you want exactly. The series is very divisive with each game so there are a lot of opinions on what is considered the best. Vesperia, Abyss, Symphonia and maybe Destiny DC are common contenders for being the best though.

Symphonia has a special place in my heart, but it's probably not the best.

Hard to say but Vesperia is probably the best all-rounder, great visual style, good story (until act 3), good characters, good combat system, good music. I don't think its the best in any of those but most of the other games fall flat in at least one of those departments

What was the one where the creator wanted to force his waifu in your face so he killed of a popular character to shoehorn his favorite character in the main party? Zesteria?

Yeah, the popular character wasn't killed though just shoved to the background

Yeah it was Zestiria. Alisha didn't die though, she just got shafted hard and got a piss poor character arc that went nowhere.

Berseria

I don't know why, but I think that shit is extremely funny. Why the fuck do you sabotage your game from the inside out like that? What on earth was that man thinking?

Destiny. Berseria fags need to fuck off as that game isn't even in the top 5.

I remember reading in a thread that she was killed and it was so obvious that that wasn't supposed to happen because later on in the game, you could still get equipment for the dead character.

"Tales of" games stink from a gameplay and storytelling perspective.

Imagine if we took Disney movies and at the end of the story we reveal that it's only half of the story, now the characters go to an alternate dimension for no reason and half of the cast has no inspiration to even be continuing on this quest anymore.

As for gameplay, imagine a technical fighting game with footsies and guarding attacks and then just dumb it down to just mashing the same combo and/or spamming spells.

The fighting system is so innovative and to this day anybody playing Tales of Phantasia for the first time who go "WOW," but it's all fucking garbage and it really saddens me.

>tripfag
Opinion discarded.

Heavy executive meddling and waifufaggotry.

Tales of Maj'Eyal

I heard tales went sjw and shoehorned a gay mc in. Is that true or did they put it in for fujos?

>berseriafag
I don't care what you think

Tales went to shit when they stopped making complete RPGs and removed the world map.

>gay character is inherently sjw no matter how tastefully it's handled
Have you ever experienced an individual thought?

You can still buy spears even though she was the only character that could use them. They had the full line of upgrades there too, though you couldn't give her any of those spears for that short bit where she comes back into the party since her equipment was locked.

/thread

Kino gameplay > weeb waifushit

Narikiri Dungeon X. Graces f if we're talking about mothership titles only.

How do people like Berseria so much? I'm playing it right now, and I just feel like I'm mashing buttons on combat, on Hard. Am I just playing the game wrong? If so, I'm not struggling at all, just got Eleanor on my party

Also, any beginner tips for Berseria?

Yes.

>did they put it in for fujos?
Why is that even a question? Its always for the fujos.

Velvet makes the game easy as fuck. The other characters at least requires some effort.

I suggest categorizing your attacks by their element type, makes it a lot easier to hit weaknesses.

Asbel makes for a better girl to be honest

Xillia 2 for best gameplay, level up, skill and equipment systems.

These

what's the point of his "eyepatch"?

>Skies
It's time to move on user. There's plenty more fish in the sea.

Waifufags and generally speaking the most recent one is prone to get more attention.

Fair enough, but when Zestiria came out, people here shat on it so hard, they still haven't stopped

M U T T O N

Did you honestly like Zestiria gameplay more than Berseria?

For good reason too faggot

Haven't played Zestiria more than a couple of minutes, but it can't possibly deserve so much shitting on it, can it?

Is this the best mini game in the series? Do other games even have minigames?

Get back to us in about 3-4 hours and tell us your opinion about it then user, I'd say even less but the prologue in the village drags on for-fucking-ever.

I don't think there's really a best Tales Of game since they all excel in different ways. My personal favorites:

Symphonia: Pretty shit combat but an excellent cast, good story and cool world.
Vesperia: Similar to the strengths of Symphonia but with serviceable combat and less shit dungeon designs. Although I think the cast is inferior.
Graces:Excellent combat (possibly the best) hampered by a horrible cast and a really boring world. Play with the intention of skipping all the story
Xillia 2: The most well-rounded. Excellent combat, non-traditional cast and story for a Tales game, cool set pieces, with an ending and plot elements that tug on my heart strings. Probably my favorite.
Berseria: The Tales game for people that don't like Tales games. Not saying it's bad, but the anti-hero cast and it shitting on Zesteria makes people think it's better than it actually is.

Top Tier:
Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia

High Tier:
Phantasia, Destiny, Rebirth

Mid Tier:
Legendia, Eternia

Low Tier:
Dawn of a New World

Shit Tier:
Everything else

Vesperia, Xillia 2, and Berseria are all solid contenders. Abyss is solid but only pseudointellectuals masturbate to the plot.

Phantasia, Destiny, Symphonia and Vesperia. Some people REALLY like Abyss but I couldn't really get behind it no matter how hard I tried. Same as Xillia and Zestiria. Zestiria just sucks to play for me and I never had more than four hours with Xillia. The main character looks cool as hell in Xillia, though.

Did anyone here finish Eternal Sonata? I get the feeling that was Tales people involved but the game sapped my will to live after a few hours so i never finished it.

Xillia 2
youtube.com/watch?v=FYl2nMNcKe0

What didn't you like about Vesperia? most people consider it the best in the franchise

I prefer the SNES version, though I admit the difficulty isn't very well balanced.
I, too, have been waiting on a translation of NKX.

The prologue is arguably really good and hooks you in but everything afterwards is shit.

Zestiria being shit is probably one of the few things most people can actually agree on.

>Love Jrpgs
>Always trying New games
>Cant enjoy combat system of tales of

Why? I play a lot of tales of titles and cant pass the 4 hours. I dont enjoy the system and wanna make the crazy movements from YouTube but I need a lot of work for that upgrade/weapons/skills

I'm a little drunk but re-reading my post I don't see anything that suggests I didn't like it. I consider it to be one of the best, in fact, even if the characters are only okay at best. But I really didn't like the Princess and the boy was just okay. I liked archer man enough and Yuri was a nice change of pace from your typical Tales protag.

Ah fuck, I misread. I thought you said about Vesperia the things you said about Abyss. What's wrong with Abyss tho? It's the one I played first, and I really enjoyed it

Any answer other than abyss is objectively wrong

I think you're broken. Most people find Tales combat to be rather exciting compared to your typical JRPG. I hated Vagrant Story but the combat's really cool. I didn't like Valkyrie Profile Silmarillimon much at all but Valkyrie profile has some fucking awesome combat. I liked Xenogears, even loved LoD's VOLCANO combat and these are just ones i'm oddly fond of. However, maybe it just isn't for you. Chaining combos is a ton of fun but absolutely requires a lot of time investment barring a couple of really bullshit techniques you shouldn't use early unless you want to die of boredom.

Symphonia is important to me in a lot of ways, but it's also the only one I've played other than the Sequal, which was a substantial step down and somewhat made me not want to try the others.
It was an alright game but it wasn't the sequal I was hoping for.

Had Xillia and Xillia 2 been a single game then it would have honestly been top tier among alot of JRPGS.
Not sure if Ludger would still be in it though.

Star Ocean 2 is better than any game in the Tales series.

Don't know about that, Xillia 1 is kind of ass, Xillia 2 redeems it in just about every way.

>blueballs: the game
no thanks

No, that really is just how Berseria's combat works. It's the mashiest, most braindead system in the franchise. I can't stand how my options are either "memorize 32 different inputs and what elemental properties they have" or "readjust your attacks every new area." The whole "hit all 4 of the enemy's weaknesses in one combo to do more than 1 damage per hit" thing is a fucking mistake and drags the game down really hard, which is a shame because it's got so much good content in it that I don't want to bother with because of the battle system.

Disgusting contrian faggot, I bet you were one of those cocksuckers that said Star Ocean 5 is better than Berseria.

Abyss and Vesperia
They both do everything right with Tales

Initially? Being on the PS2 when I didn't have one. After that? The plot never hooked me at all. The combat was relatively standard Tales fare and the game still has the abime style I always found so silly yet so charming in the series but Lombus, Alghervonk, whatever the main character's name is didn't jive with me at all. He wasn't some void of a character like the guy in Zestiria but I never liked him very much compared to the other protags of the Tales games i've played.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's bad. I just don't like it.

Phantasia is the only answer. Rest is fucking garbage.

Not that user, but usually "first one I played" tends to usually mean it will always be the best.
There's nothing wrong with that, but one should step back and take a look at it from afar.
I love Symphonia more than any JRPG I've played but I know it's not the best thing ever. That's just kinda how it is.
People say Colette is insufferable, and they're not wrong but I don't hate her.
I've said the Abyss protag is kind of the same way, but that's sort of the reason people like him since he eventually gets better. I should really give Abyss another try one day though.

I got to this part on this SNES version before deciding to switch to the PS1. I had just happened upon a thread a few minutes before getting to this part where some user told me about this line. Like a fuckin' tiger alright. I kept my save state just in case I ever decide to go back and finish this one though.

I would say Vesperia

they should port it to Steam or PS4 so more people can enjoy it

>It was an alright game
Hell no it wasn't, it was a badly made clunky mess of a game where designs were all over the place, characters wore their tropes on their foreheads, battle was a step down and graphics were nauseating even by Symphonias standards.

I remember MC looking up at the sky at one point and I could clearly see the skybox texture not connecting with itself correctly even from wii's 480p res.

Except for the protags being totally unlovable cunts. I mean that in reference to Abyss. Everyone in your party is a fucking twat.

I'm 13 hours into Berseria and so far I think that Zestiria was more fun to play.

>mfw Luke is revealed to be like 10 years old
>mfw the party continues to treat him like complete shit even though he did what anyone in his situation would've done

You're not even wrong. Infact I agree with you on pretty much every account you've mentioned.
But I won't deny that part of me still enjoyed playing it since I'd be just lying to myself about that.
I mostly liked the monster system. That was a bit of fun.
Also the last time I played it was like 7 years ago, when I was yougner and didn't look out for problems.

Is Star Ocean 2 better than 1? I'm playing though the SNES one right now but I realized that it was remade for PSP and released here in the USA, so i'm having trouble wanting to finish it because I want to play the remake, but everyone says that two is the best in the series.

Could stomach more than an hour of Zestiria.

That in the fan translation? I vaguely recall playing both versions but now i'm uncertain.

Hotorcold girl's awful but I love her. She's so hard to handle but she's so anime it hurts. However I gotta admit that that's why I liked Tales to begin with. The first one I played was either Destiny or Phantasia and it genuinely made me feel like I was playing a Slayers or Lodoss game.

symphonia beacuse it was my first.

More like fucking seven. Seven.

Yep. posted the same thing. I was recommended the DeJap Translation becasue I had heard it was good, then I was told that it was only good because back in 2001, it was the best we had.

They're still entertaining and interesting characters
Even if you don't agree with their approach on how they dealt with Luke, it keeps you interested to see how the rest of the story plays out from then onward

Yeah, pretty much unforgivable, right? I don't even remember the rest of the party redeeming themselves.

symphonia

best girl

Even Zestiria was better since their weakness system just had you use one attack the enemy is weak to and then continue with whatever. And then even Armatization wasn't as stupid as break souls.

I think the ToS OVA made her a lot more likable.
Her and Lloyd were adorable together even though I'm typically a Sheenafag. Also I think I like the ending scene more than the original games where Lloyd, Colette, Sheena, and Zelos go on an adventure rather than just Lloyd and Love Interest.

Agreed. Berseria is only ok. It's just that the last few games have been shit so people think Berseria is amazing.

Vesperia is the best. Abyss is second.

Rebirth seems really cool but no English version.

>hotorcold
obligatory

So after Vesperia?

I seem to remember SO being kind of short compared to other SNES RPGs. Like 15 hours.

The skill system is very weird. One of the skills reduces the number of skill points required for everything else, so you'll want to invest in that first.

One thing I really liked about it was that there was a hidden cave along a mountain path early in the game that you could enter to find an area with very high-level monsters. If you can manage to get through by running away, you can find a really powerful sword that you're supposed to get more than half-way through the game.

As much as I hate to agree with a tripfag this is true. I'm convinced Berseriafags only think it's the best because they are pcfags and don't have access to a lot of the series.

The combat is a mess, the characters were decent but nowhere near the best, and the plot was mediocre.

Personally I liked the remake of 1 better than the original SNES version, but I'm in the minority. Anyway, it's difficult to say because I have a huge nostalgia boner for SO2 and I don't for SO1. I think the mechanics of 2 fleshed out better and there's a lot more content. I'll also say that the ending of SO2 is a lot more satisfying than SO1. Also the bonus dungeon in SO2 is fantastic and long. Could have almost been a game on its own.

I would suggest playing the PSP version of SO2 if you can stand the moe blob portrait art, though I did find it a bit easy. Maybe download a difficulty save if you think it's too easy. There's some available for SO1 FD too.

Or they are new to the series and only played it or started with Zestiria.

I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I feel like I'll enjoy it way more than Berseria.

>sheenafag
the only correct answer

I never watched it. However i'm a HUGE Sheena fag because tittyninja and even I can enjoy how the monglationship between Colette and Lloyd since she's just so damn stupid.
Zelos is a faggot but I mostly prefer Kratos cuz my father figure wasn't there either. My dad was never a Ninja Turtle, though.

I also thought Regal was easily the best older guy character in all the ones i've played that I can remember. Limiter characters can be a blast.

Remember when they killed Arietta and we're like "well she was probably going to kill herself anyway''
Fuck Anise she is literally the worse character in any game I've played

>Dawn of a New World
>above anything