youtube.com/watch?v=rl2AM3j3dIw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Our troops are under attack!

can't place that there m'lord

Wood stock sir, too low sir.

We are losing a little money my liege

Oh... half rations.

WE ARE THE MACEMEN!

>disable rations, sell entire food stockpile, sell all spare iron, stone, pitch, and weapons
>build chapels, churches, and one cathedral
>place 1x1 flower beds wherever they fit in my castle
>convert all farm real estate to hop production, place an inn at each corner of my castle

And now, magically, nobody needs to eat ever again. They're probably too drunk to notice they're even hungry.

This amour's heavy

no taxes are good taxes, that's my motto!

AWR STOONE STAWKS AWR TOOOO LOW SIIIIIIRE

This armour's heavy.

What are some games like Stronghold? I've already played the shit out of the origninal and crusader but I don't want to touch 2, 3 or Legends.

Let me guess, diggin'.

There are none, sadly. Stronghold and Crusader are very unique. Nothing really ticks the same boxes.

I've had Crusader installed continuously for over fifteen years and six different PC builds. Why look elsewhere, when perfection already exists?

MAN THOSE PARAPETS

COULD YOU LOWER THE TAXES?
JUST A LITTLE TINY BIT

Why are old RTS games so quotable?

So I watched a multiplayer game of stronghold.
Man, what a snooze-fest. The game is pretty cool and fun in single player but competitively it makes no fucking sense.
>you are always aware of your enemy's whereabouts
>you can see their production
>their army
>everything
I mean, maybe siege scenarios have a future in multiplayer but not regular matches .

Faith un god is the only nourishment you need heathen

The RTS genre in general places a lot of pressure on the developers to nail unit barks because they'll be heard by the audience many, many, many times. It's not like a AAA title where a cutscene is only ever going to play once. Every time you hear:

>I CAN FEEL THE WARP OVERTAKING ME! IT IS A GOOD PAIN!
>WE ARE THE MACEMEN!
>MY LIFE FOR AIUR!
>ROGAN?
>WOLOLO!
>KRUPP STEEL AND PORSCHE ENGINES. WHO CAN DEFEAT US?
>ARTILLERY ADDS DIGNITY TO WHAT WOULD OTHERWISE BE AN UGLY BRAWL!

They have to sound as good the five hundredth time as they did the first.

I'd say the Caesar series, Pharaoh + Cleopatra, Zeus + Poseidon and Emperor Rise of the Middle Kingdom

Stronghold and the above mentioned are fairly different games but they share a lot of similarities and kinda play the same so there's a high chance you'll enjoy those games. I'd suggest starting with Zeus.

PETCH NEEDID

City builders are nothing like Stronghold. What's the point of making the perfect castle if there's no colorful AI opponent to test your defenses whilst hurling insults at you?

good luck getting in, goy

WE ARE THE MACEMEN
WHA, ALL THAT WAY?
BASH 'EM, LADS

Like I said they share a lot of similarities. You start a map, build housing, setup industry, provide food for your citizens, fortify your position, build up your military and attack.

But I see your point and I only mentioned the games that resemble Stronghold the most, at least for me. There really is nothing quite like it.

multiplayer matches between comparatively skilled players are an absolute slog. It always devolves into a slow series of resource raids that take hours to really have an effect on the economy to the point that you can attack the castle

>Mass shields and fire ballistas
>Burn your entire economics
>Bleed you out with horse archers raids and occasional trebuchet sieges

youtube.com/watch?v=J7UziGiq_9o

My only gripe with Stronghold is that constructing buildings is instant, other than that it's a perfect RTS.

nice babylon

>archers from the forest outlaw event

Cute. Still, the real test is making a decent castle on an eight player map, you against seven AI. Try and make something defensible with limited resources and real estate. Castle builder is fun and all but it gets pretty dull.

I want to get into Stronghold. Which one is the best?

>The people loathe you sire

Destroy farms outside. Get catapults with ballista, archer and shield cover. Move in destroying one tower at a time. Fire ballista to burn everything inside. The only problem is if you take a bunch of knights or fast units to stop the siege. But I can prepare against that.

Stronghold Crusader HD or even the old version

Enjoy your starvation.

1 and crusader 1 are amazing, 2 is okay as is legends and three is total garbage. not sure about crusader 2, its too sped up for multiplayer imo.

Pikemen are the coolest units. They sound more loyal and devoted than knights or swordsmen, even though they are weak.

store.steampowered.com/app/673440/Stronghold_HD__USA_Campaign_Map_Skin/

>Stronghold HD - USA Campaign Map Skin

>REVIEWS

>“Tremendous DLC. Why can't other DLC be as good? Maybe other developers should THINK BIG!”
>11/10 – RealDonaldTrump

top kek

Crusader HD is the definitive edition if you want to play skirmish games against the AI, which is where 99.9% of the replayability comes from. If you just want a comfy narrative campaign, you should get the original Stronghold.

What is this game and is it fun and would you recc it?

>tfw preordered SH3 hoping beyond hope it wasn't going to be shit and could revitalize the series.

Why couldn't it have been good?

The armory is full, m'lord.

i got it a few days ago on a whim, put tons of hours into it so far, the campaign is fucking awesome and its 100% worth.

watch out for chapter 15 though

youtube.com/watch?v=rl2AM3j3dIw

alright rate this one

Holy shit, somehow they made Crusader 2 animation worse than its predecessor.

Protip against AI: don't enclose your castle or AI will attack walls/gate, rather leave one exit open but build a stupidly long maze and they go all the lenght instead 99% of the time. Put archers on top of the maze, pitch and killing pits. Knight/macemen counter raid into the maze if shit gets rough.

I don't like Crusader because the space you can build on is so terrible restricted

Why do people not like 2? I only played 2 as a kid, the thought never even crossed my child self's mind that there was a first game.

ai/10

Knights & Merchants, somewhat

Why can't firefly make a decent 3D sequel?

It tried to be realistic by adding other unnecessary things but failed to make the game as fun as the first one.

Nock errows

>multiplayer
>do nothing but throw cows at friend
>then do tricky bullshit to get an oil engineer into his walls, preceded to light his 3ntire castle on fire

WHERE'S ME SHOVEL?

JACK A NOOPS

STRUBELY GULLIUM

KNAVE

DASTARD

STRAW POOOLL

STRAW POOOLL