Level design has a part with mandatory fall damage

>level design has a part with mandatory fall damage

>whooping 10 vitality

DON'T

Just take a sippy

There's never any excuse for this. They could always squeeze in some precise platforming or even some fucking boxes to land on that break when you do so.

What if they made that part of the design, where you start with reduced resources?

>immediately hug the wall after taking a step off
>0 damage

Just do a ground pound right before you land.

>take the leap
>you now realize fall damage is disabled for this level

>game tells me to jump
>Says you won't die
>jump
>fucking die

>knee high water at the bottom
>take no damage

>"how high"

Thank you Dreg Heap

I'm more surprised when it's opposite.

[inhales]
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>Fromdrones will defend this

>he doesn't know

>Still randomly recive damage
>have to star the fight with 1 hp

Fucking bugged abyss

Obligatory damage is bad level design, it doesn't make anyone feel good and punishes good players wanting to go for a perfect run, specially if there's a stat system where you can play with 1 point in HP and DEF or whatever

>Obligatory damage is bad level design
Some of the best Mario Maker levels have it. It can be neat to force the player to think about when, not if, to get damaged

See
>There's never any excuse for this.

>platforming in souls games and bloodborne
>have to do it to reach hidden areas or items
>imprecise with bad mesh boxes
>youcan easily slide off even when you land

Absolute. Shit.

>I don't like so it's bad.
Mmkay sweaty.

>game has fall damage to begin with

Name one game that wouldn't be improved by removing fall damage

>Mario Maker levels

Made by complete amateurs.

Then feel free to tell me how it's not bad game design.

Just to play devil's advocate I'll point out that I found at least one instance of forced damage in The Lost Levels. That game was designed by assholes though.

>secret area requires you to drop far
>there's a powerful enemy inside that you don't know

It's no different than any other challenge the game throws at you. Resource management is part of the game if you have health. Putting in a section where you have reduced resouces is just another challenge. One that you do not like simply because it upsets your own personal status quo. If environmental damage is part of the game, then a part where you take health damage intentionally is part of that design too.

>Having fall damage at all
Lol.

>It's no different than any other challenge the game throws at you.
Yes it is. Unavoidable damage and avoidable damage are necessarily different.

The part after the damage is the challenge.

If the designer didn't think an area would be challenging without shoving some BS down my throat I doubt it'll be challenging after I pause and drink a potion or 2.

Not every game lets you recover health whenever you feel like it.

Wanna play my level?

you forgot this
R

>Have 5 hp
>fall damage is 10
>die before getting to challenge
Or they could just do the resource management stuff without the middle man.

>Fall damage isn't scaled to always remove x% of your total HP
>It's mitigated by defenses or just does a flat amount of damage regardless of your HP
>You eventually become practically immune to fall dmg as you level and gear up

GTA

Different user, tell me, Getting to that fucking door with the start of the dream was annoying, could you do that without taking damage?

>>>Have 5 hp
git gud scrub

That's pretty much irrelevant unless you're talking something ridiculous like DCotE and even then as long as you weren't trying to heal in front of an enemy you'd be fine.

>2d platform game has fall damage

Or if healing is based on health pickups that you can't bring with you.

what game does that even?

>Obligatory fall in some hole
>Fall does 100 damage
>You pick up a over-extend health boost while falling that give you 100 extra points, cuz having 200
>End up with wathever you had before falling
Miss when games did this

In which case I'd rather deal with tougher enemies and avoid damage through skill than have my health taken from me in a cutscene or whatnot and walk on eggshells despite not fucking up.

The lower health would mean that now you have to avoid damage through skill now.

Ostensibly yes but that gets us to the question of whether or not an area's even going to be challenging if the designer needed to BS you beforehand. Also I'll refer you back to
>despite not fucking up
If I'm missing health I want it to be my fault.

Do you have any examples of instances where you think forced damage was used well?

>designer needed to BS you beforehand.
What even makes it BS? Depriving resources is a common way to add challenge, health is just another resource. Lower health is a good way to make a certain area more challenging, without effecting the game as a whole.

>If I'm missing health I want it to be my fault.
Be less autistic? For most people, if the game forces your health to be lower, then that new lowered health becomes the new maximum. Furthermore this complaint has nothing to do with the game's difficulty, its just you not wanting to see a bar only halfway filled.

>Do you have any examples of instances where you think forced damage was used well?

Works pretty well in some of those Mario Maker levels. Bloodborne also had this thing where you have half-health in the harder chalice dungeons, and yeah they were a slog to go through but that would be the case even with infinite health.