What went right and wrong

what went right and wrong

production values were high

bloodborne speed was a mistake

I hated how they tried to balance out the invasion system. Invasions were supposed to be a punishment for summoning but summoning made invaders so much joke they practically became a reward in the way of free souls.
Plus, PvP balance was terrible since they tried to balance weapons, armors, and items for both PvE and PvP which just flat out didn't work.

>which just flat out didn't work
except it did, balance was shit at start but now its good, and you'd know that if you played it now, just try a fucking arena as example and see for yourself.
But its just easier to shit on everything without actual knowledge. nice work nu-Sup Forums

GREAT PVP

TOO LINEAR PROGRESSION

MAGIC STILL FUCKING BACKWARDS BUT NOBODY CARES ENOUGH

DLC STORY WAS A GREAT ENDING TO THE SERIES

BLOODBORNE SPEED WAS A MISTAKE I AGREE

>What went right
Development doesn't seem like it got massively derailed even though some hiccups are mildly apparent.
>What went wrong
No attention to detail in regards to lore or polish on extraneous elements.
World layout is awful.
Combat design and level design is generally mediocre.

Hexes, miracles, and pyromancy blow chunks.

Seriously, why make fucking pyromancy and hexes run with both Fth and Int?

>just try a fucking arena as example and see for yourself.
Arena =/= invasions. They kept inadvertently fucking up PvP weapons when they nerfed PvE weapons and vice versa.
>balance was shit at start but now its good
Also, who cares what the game plays like now? It's already too late to save the game. The playerbase was dwindling since before the DLCs came out.
>nice work nu-Sup Forums
Been here longer than you, newfag.

>No attention to detail in regards to lore

this is wrong

Wrong: The entirety of spellcasting

>FP estus requires that you cannibalize your hp recovery. In DeS, and DaS2 there were alternatives to replenishing casts that you could farm or buy
>Universal resource for all magic means that casting utility spells eats into your offensive spells. Wanna cast Chameleon, or Light? Well, that's one less Soul Spear cast
>Spells are slow, enemies are fast
>Have to use 3/4 rings for adequate damage
>Absolute fucking dogshit spell variety
>No casting tool variety

>GREAT PVP
stopped reading there

>what went right
bosses

>what went wrong
mostly everything else

this is going to be a souls faggotry thread is it?

>>No attention to detail in regards to lore
>this is wrong
please explain andre, catarina, astora and all those out of place dark souls 1 references fit into the lore of dark souls 3?

FP system is superior to the dumb system ds1 and had.

>right
Better than dark souls 2
>wrong
Not as good or better than dark souls 1

It's already are. Look how they jerk each another.

>muh first souls experience

The gameplay was smooth as fuck and some levels were cool but the world was meh and I wish they'd done what DS2 did and explored stories largely unrelated to the flame. IMO DS2 already had too many DS1 throwbacks and DS3 shoved them down your throat and a lot of them didn't make sense, like everything to to with the Abyss Watchers.
>Shun shields
>But hand them out as a covenant reward
>And also apparently use shields
Fucking mess. Not to mention PvPfags got all the cool shit nerfed so the weapon balance is fucked to the point where DS3 lacks the sense of progression that an RPG should have.
>Astora ss is worse than longsword despite higher statreqs
>Exile gs hits harder than FUGS despite having half the statreqs and weighing 70% as much
Not to mention passive HP regen sucks and passive MP regen is straight up gone and DS3 restricts what can be infused/buffed a little too much which hurt hybrid builds which already kind of sucked. Also splitting hexes into 2 forms of dark magic was retarded.

I recently started playing Ds3 for the first time, made it up to irythill. So far the level design seems fairly linear compared to the other games and exploration doesn't seem to be very rewarding. Combat is fine and the bosses are pretty cool but shields feel kinda useless since the enemies are fast and I seem to get stunned way to quick if I try to block, haven't tried any magic because I don't really enjoy playing casters in souls games. Overall it's a good game so far but the weakest of the soulsborne games IMO

>Linear world design due to teleportation unlocked from the start so level designers didn't have to make an interconnected world or any good individual levels like Undead Burg or Painted World
>No weapon degradation which frowns upon trying out new weapons and removes a use for spending Souls
>Worst PvP in the series
>Stamina management is now non existent
>Only good bosses are Nameless King and Dancer of the Boreal Valley
>Feels the need to shoehorn in references to the past games and can't stand on its own two feet
>Doesn't implement new enemy placement on NG+ like DaS II did
It's a 6/10 game and it's a pretty sad way for the franchise to end.

>implying 3 wasn't your first souls experience

Not so much DS3 but my problem with Dark Souls as a series. DS1 was great. Original and very refreshing.
DS2 and 3 suffered the same thing that so many other franchises suffer from; a fear of change. A fear of trying something different than from what became so popular to begin with.
Despite its name, I think my biggest complaint with dark souls is that it's so damn... well, dark. It's dreary, it's depressing. So much so that I wonder why I even bother saving this shitty world when all it's ever known is shit.
If there was just some charm, just a tad bit of light and goodness in characters to remind the character of what they are fighting for, I'd feel a lot more invested in my goal
tldr: dark souls is pretty fucking dark. Include some fuckin colors and we're good.
Drunk rant over

it has most balanced and polished pvp out of all souls games, but it was crap at start and it ruined pvp experience for most of you fags, just look at >It's already too late to save the game.
dont fucking post please, thank you

The entire Painted world of Ariandel is a pretty good point to be made for this argument.
Everything else is just nitpicking (attention to detail) like how the game handles Purging Stones, hollowing and Curse for instance.

You're forgetting that the most efficient method of movement in swamps cannibalizes your FP as well.

Vancian casting is honestly better than this shit.

>what went right
nothing

>and wrong
it's not dark souls 1 or bloodborne

>Dark souls 1 original
What a fucking moron

Other than Demon Souls, name a couple similar games released around that time.

Keep in mind it was most people's first Souls game. IIRC even before the PC release DS1 had sold something like 1 million more copies than DeS.

>Other than game that fits criteria what other game was there
Not an argument and way to out yourself as PC only player.

>right
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, there's a few alright weapon designs I guess
>wrong
literally everything else

Nah, I have a shit PC. I just never owned a PlayStation

The hitboxes are the worst of the series, plus it has the tracking from 2 but with the quicker swings/odd timings and worse I frames, so it's a crap shoot of rolling at the right time for a bit. Not saying it's unreasonable or especially challenging but learning fights (especially bosses with 7-12 hit combos that drain your entire stamina bar and aren't punishable) is not nearly as fun as the other games in the series. Builds aren't nearly as varied 2, the level design/world isn't as fleshed out or attentive to little details as 1 or demon souls. It's a shame because visually it's very nice and it's easily the most kinesthetically pleasing of all of them.

>most balanced and polished PvP
>literally just rolling, r1s, and weapon art spamming
>entirety of PvP mechanics are based around hyper armor trading
game feels like absolute AIDS to play desu, even 1 is better. at least PvP in 1 had a chance to be fun and varied. In 3 every fight boils down the exact same way

>The moment you realize Dark Souls world design was a fluke as they've never been able to come close to replicating it

ah, i get it now, its going to be another
>look at me, im shitting on popular game
thread

>Hey look it's Aldrich.
>He's a fat fuck that ate people then linked the flame.
>Pontiff made him do it because Profane Flame.
We never find out what the fuck Profane Flame is, what the Profane Capital is, or what the fuck Yhorm was trying to accomplish.

Also since when can Giants link the fire? Since when can a literal legion of peopl link it together? DaS3's lore is nonsense, and the Lords of Cinder were paper-thin fanservice or underdeveloped literal whos.

There's also stupid shit that doesn't matter at all, like the Painted World, which exists only as fanservice, and the Gael "plot" that just shows up out of fucking nowhere.

>right
it's the last one.
>wrong
we bloodborne now

No, those are the Dark Souls 2 hate threads. Reminder that 2 is the highest rated game in the series and the activity trend of it concurrent playerbase will pass up Shart Souls 3 in a few months

>better then 1
>chain backstabs, animation swap bugs, broken combos involing infinite stunlocks and 1\2hko bulshit, hackers and griefers everywhere
yea, you didn't played ds1 pvp, gtfo

but user who dosen't like r1ing their cruved dongs at eachother and trading hits while rolling around like drunk slav for 30 seconds only to repeat the process for 4 minutes with 5 other phantoms while in armour that DOSEN'T DO ANYTHING

Bloodborne is the highest rated because it's the best.

I guarantee I have at least 2000 more hours of Dark Souls pvp than you, on consoles of course, the only relevant platform for that game. Primarily 360 because japs were always hacking book niggers.

A broken yet interesting game is better than a safe and sterile polished game. And that's objective. YOUR inability to adapt to the many varieties of players in 1's pvp is strictly on yourself, don't project your ineptitude onto others

>Dark Souls world design was a fluke
Not so much, DS1 was originally pretty much a remake of KF4 and was at least the 3rd such world that FROM made, although admittedly KF3's interconnectedness can be iffy. Considering that later games worked more similarly to DeS I think that might just be the direction that Miyazaki wanted to take the series, we'll probably see something different in their upcoming games.

I purposely didn't count BB because it's not strictly a "Souls" game

>Spells are slow, enemies are fast
>Have to use 3/4 rings for adequate damage
>Absolute fucking dogshit spell variety
these are good point, expecially the first one. A pure caster build is not rewarding in the slightest: too much effort for too little gain. Game is obviously designed for pure quality builds.
also
>Stamina management is now non existent
this is also true.
also
>
>Shun shields
shields and armours in general are borderline useless, if not for fashion souls purposes.

Yes I'm sure they took DS3's shit weapon balance into account when they were making boss lore.

poise

Can we at least agree that this fight was sheer ludo?

>DS2 and 3 suffered the same thing that so many other franchises suffer from; a fear of change. A fear of trying something different than from what became so popular to begin with.
DaS2 changed a shit ton of things, so completely fucking wrong in that regard. The reason why so many people dislike it is because it's so far removed from DeS/DaS/DaS3.

>dark souls is pretty fucking dark. Include some fuckin colors and we're good.
Ironically 2 is also the most colorful, the graphics just suck.

First phase was retarded filler, second phase he's just too slow to be that threatening. He hits fairly hard (way harder than cuck knight Gael at least) but NK only has a few attacks that are actually a bit threatening

But it's the best fight in the base game.

Whatever, you want a better pvp, but prefer literally broken first one, i dont know what argument could be made here then.
Sure first delivered some fun, flipping meta then 41 poise and oroboro stuff, forest was awesome at start, and later against gankers with op strats it still was fascinating to win from those.

Would've been good if the first phase wasn't just an effort to cheap shot Estus out of the player and pad the fight.

>What NO!! We can't have mechanics that change the way you play in a RPG!

Help me decide pls Sup Forums

The season pass is on sale right now for 11.99, and the GOTY version is still 35+

Knowing that i'm wanting to buy that version at some point, should I enjoy the DLC now or just wait for the goty to drop?

>The hitboxes are the worst of the series
That's not true when 1 and 2 exist.

It would be fine if they brought back Fresh/Old spice, or had a viable method of replenishing your FP that didn't eat into your estus flask count. Hey, I guess I can just slap on a simple cestus in my offhand, and take 30 minute breaks after every third encounter to replenish my fp though haha

>DS2 and 3 suffered the same thing that so many other franchises suffer from; a fear of change. A fear of trying something different than from what became so popular to begin with.
It's say it's actually the opposite: they changed so many things that worked from DS1, and it was not an evolution, it was not organic to the game system. I'd say that was because Japanese developers tend to always change stuff for their sequels, even if it's not necessary.

>oroboro stuff
opinion discarded

What a way to end the series.

I'd say 2's hitboxes are the worst overall, but 3's retarded enemy swing movements is far worse.

An enemy lifts his weapon....
prepares to strike....
and then as he swings he turns 45 degrees with the most unnatural movement and hits behind his back .

This is even more retarded than turntable enemies.

DaS2's hitboxes are probably the best in the series at this point.

Comparing Sihn to Midir, they share some moves. You can duck under all of Sihn's swipes and leaps with emotes, but Midir will hit you every time unless you're a good 10 to 20 yards away from his arms.

>final boss is just reused assets and Berserk plagiarism
well at least we can acknowledge that Miyazaki is a consistent and unchanging man

This boss was actually worse than Nashandra.

DeS has the best hitboxes in the series.

>right
Unnironically the cinematic experience from the boss fights. The music and cutscenes made me gawk in awe a couple of times, at which point I would embarrassingly come to after realising my mouth was left wide open.

>bad
Too much reference previous games, felt like it couldn't really stand on its own (whether or not its true, it's still how it felt)

as someone who has played the series for over 3200 hours

>right
The visuals
Most of the boss fights
Level design, albeit the environment design is bland at times
Animations great as usual
OST, while losing to BB, is still great

>wrong
PVP is shit like always
Game reuses the same ideas for areas over and over
Tries to pander way too hard and ends up becoming more of a "greatest hits" instead of "the big finish" everyone was hoping for
Bloodborne-tier enemy and boss speed coupled with limited healing, no poise and no rallying system can make combat ridiculously annoying and tedious, just look at the black crow assassins in the Ash DLC
Lore is an even bigger mess than before and the conclusion to the entire series is lackluster at best
DLC is overpriced and/or way too short
Overall linearity in the world design can make replaying the game a complete chore, especially how almost everything before Irithyll just screams "boring"

All of the knight enemies in DaS3 look like they have a swivel waist that can turn almost 180 degrees, while their head still faces compeltely forward.

Animations in DaS3 were terrible, and the tracking is even worse than previous entries.

I still haven't played this and sometimes I think of killing myself

>Gimping yourself unless you play a quality build
>balance was determined by PVP
>damage sponge bosses with unpredictable bloodborne charges
>need a fast weapon to keep up damage

>final boss is literally Guts